Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baylor IS in some deep trouble

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baylor IS in some deep trouble

    Max Olson ‏@max_olson 7m7 minutes ago
    Art Briles emphatically denied he was aware of Sam Ukwuachu's violence issues at Boise State, said "there's no truth" to that accusation.


    "I talked with Chris Petersen personally," said Briles to reporters on Friday morning. "No mention of anything beyond Sam being depressed, needing to come home."
    Peterson, now at Washington,*released a statement of his own on Friday afternoon contradicting Briles. Peterson stated that he let Briles know everything about Ukwuachu.
    "After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," said Peterson in a statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."

  • #2
    Two things........

    Briles is probably starting to catch some heat about letting him on the team and never thought Peterson would be brought into this. Man speaks with forked tongue.

    Peterson's going on the record so he doesn't catch any heat later on. Nip it in the bud!

    Last edited by Irish#1; 08-21-2015, 02:33 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is going to make NCND very upset....

      Originally posted by koonja
      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

      Comment


      • #4

        Comment


        • #5

          Comment


          • #6
            So based on the general trend and timing of things, Baylor will lose some scholarships around 2020. No italics.

            Comment


            • #7
              Art Briles is worth millions to Baylor, I'd be surprised if anything happened to him (but wouldn't be shocked if he decided to jump ship for the NFL now when before that seemed a remote possibility at best).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                This is going to make NCND very upset....

                Aww how cute internet tough guy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NCND View Post
                  Aww how cute internet tough guy.
                  That's you're baseline for "internet tough guy"?

                  Then I've been downright savage to Wiz. lol
                  Originally posted by koonja
                  I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                    That's you're baseline for "internet tough guy"?

                    Then I've been downright savage to Wiz. lol
                    Kali Ma

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Can someone summarize what's going on? Reps will come your way

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                        Can someone summarize what's going on? Reps will come your way
                        2 second version....

                        First...NCND things Baylor has a better program than ND for two reasons. 1 - Their offense is fast and BK talks about a fast offense but doesn't have one and 2 - They went and showed up in the last two bowl games (Cotton / Fiesta). According to some, he may be drunk today.

                        Baylor, more importantly Briles, could be in hot water for letting a guy transfer in from Boise after he had some assault problems there. Peterson told Briles about it, allegedly and Baylor still admitted him. Guy went on to rape girl at Baylor. Baylor investigated and did not find anything wrong, though the state still ended up charging him later. Even with charges pending, Baylor was, allegedly, ready to play him this year. All for not as he was convicted recently.
                        Last edited by Ndaccountant; 08-21-2015, 03:57 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                          Can someone summarize what's going on? Reps will come your way
                          A player left Boise State and went to Baylor. Coach of Boise State calls Baylor coach and says, "kid has issues". Baylor welcomes him with open arms.

                          Kid proves to have issues. Baylor coach says he never knew of the issues. Coach of Boise at the time says, "Bullsh!t".

                          Now Baylor will hopefully be hammered and go back into mediocrity.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/art...gn=DTN+Sports:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Texas is rubbing their hands together at the thought of Baylor returning to a nobody. They're already laughing about the fact A&M returned to their typical midcarder form after their first year in the SEC.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Is there any proof that Peterson told Briles?

                                To play devil's advocate, doesn't Peterson have an incentive to lie and throw Briles under the bus?
                                Last edited by gkIrish; 08-21-2015, 04:37 PM.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                  Is there any proof that Peterson told Briles?

                                  To play devil's advocate, doesn't Peterson have an incentive to lie throw Briles under the bus?
                                  This is spot on logically, but I've never heard of coach recruiting a player who was dismissed from another place and not first finding out why. I'm very much so inclined to believe Peterson, as well as the criminal himself who said a long time ago that Baylor "knew everything." I also bet they could come up with phone records or other correspondence that shows the call if pushed on it... but they won't be pushed on it, because it's the truth.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                    This is spot on logically, but I've never heard of coach recruiting a player who was dismissed from another place and not first finding out why. I'm very much so inclined to believe Peterson, as well as the criminal himself who said a long time ago that Baylor "knew everything." I also bet they could come up with phone records or other correspondence that shows the call if pushed on it... but they won't be pushed on it, because it's the truth.
                                    I guess I just wonder how Briles could be stupid enough to lie about knowing. Peterson has nothing to lose by lying while Briles has everything to lose.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                      I guess I just wonder how Briles could be stupid enough to lie about knowing. Peterson has nothing to lose by lying while Briles has everything to lose.
                                      I think it was a self-preservation move. He comes off better as ignorant to the issues than having callous disregard for violence against women. I don't believe he ever thought two steps ahead to Peterson correcting what he said, so why not try to paint himself in the best light?

                                      Again, I just don't find it plausible that someone would take a transfer dismissed from another school without having it asked and answered what he did to get dismissed.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                        I guess I just wonder how Briles could be stupid enough to lie about knowing. Peterson has nothing to lose by lying while Briles has everything to lose.
                                        Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                        I think it was a self-preservation move. He comes off better as ignorant to the issues than having callous disregard for violence against women. I don't believe he ever thought two steps ahead to Peterson correcting what he said, so why not try to paint himself in the best light?

                                        Again, I just don't find it plausible that someone would take a transfer dismissed from another school without having it asked and answered what he did to get dismissed.
                                        Worth mentioning that Baylor is private, Baptist and very conservative. So Briles probably felt pressure to distance himself from the situation given the school's values.

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Dude ended up getting 6 months in jail. Shocking to me that he got off that light.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            BU fans are not very worried about anything

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/3/9/6/39671.jpg

                                              Judge is a Baylor grad '86

                                              Jury recommended 8 years

                                              Max Olson ‏@max_olson
                                              Jury decided on 8 years prison. And recommendation probation. Judge chose 10 years probation and 180 days jail.
                                              Last edited by Cali_domer; 08-21-2015, 05:29 PM.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                                                  A player left Boise State and went to Baylor. Coach of Boise State calls Baylor coach and says, "kid has issues". Baylor welcomes him with open arms.

                                                  Kid proves to have issues. Baylor coach says he never knew of the issues. Coach of Boise at the time says, "Bullsh!t".

                                                  Now Baylor will hopefully be hammered and go back into mediocrity.
                                                  Hammered for what exactly?? I'm clearly missing something here
                                                  There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Though silly and nobody else may find it this way but it cracks me up. In the middle of telling the lie he goes "no no, oh no, Lord no." How F'd up is that.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Originally posted by Cali_domer View Post
                                                      http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/3/9/6/39671.jpg

                                                      Judge is a Baylor grad '86

                                                      Jury recommended 8 years

                                                      Max Olson ‏@max_olson
                                                      Jury decided on 8 years prison. And recommendation probation. Judge chose 10 years probation and 180 days jail.
                                                      This should be looked into, seriously. There was a real victim here and justice simply wasn't served for this severe of a crime.
                                                      Originally posted by koonja
                                                      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        EDIT: Actually I didn't post it on this site, but yeah the expected equivocation from Briles is here "yeah we talked, but he never said anything bad about him or SURELY I wouldn't have looked the other way... for an All-American..."
                                                        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Updated statement from Art Briles . <a href="http://t.co/KDXtw2vaMv">pic.twitter.com/KDXtw2vaMv</a></p>&mdash; Ralph D. Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/status/634862380019793921">August 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
                                                        <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Just win baby!

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Jimmy BurchVerified account
                                                            ‏@Jimmy_Burch
                                                            #Baylor releases dox from Boise showing Ukwuachu was NOT suspended for disciplinary reasons and could return to BSU

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              This was 2003, but in retrospect...damn
                                                              "Bill Cosby - comedian, actor, author, musician, educator, philanthropist, beloved husband and father, friend. Baylor University salutes your commitment to the education of students everywhere and for your enrichment of our lives."



                                                              Oh, and Cosby was a douchebag on top of all the women he took advantage of:
                                                              Bill Cosby Once Publicly Bullied A Notre Dame Football Player To Tears
                                                              The ND Player Bill Cosby Berated Felt Like A Failure For Years Afterward

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Finally, Boise and Petersen are all like...

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Looking more and more like Boise tried to get rid of this kid without having to deal with the reasons why...I knew I smelled a rat.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      The entire thing smells. Peterson has always come off as a somewhat ethical dude, at least IMO. Not enough facts in yet but this thing smells like a bucket of fish in the hot Texas sun.
                                                                      I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        I'm confused. Seems the tide of this discussion has turned. Is Boise or Baylor at fault here?

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          You would think Baylor would scrutinize players a little closer after the murder conviction of one of their hoopsters!

                                                                          USATODAY.com - Dotson sentenced to 35 years in Dennehy murder case

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            I'm curious how such a Peterson/Briles conversation would not be a FERPA violation.

                                                                            When a kid leaves ND, for example, the storyline is "XYZ is no longer enrolled in school." There is no mention of grades, Res/Life violations, police record from UND. Just XYZ is no longer enrolled. When pressed for details student privacy under FERPA is cited.

                                                                            But coaches are exempt because they are in the coaching fraternity? Good old boys can talk?

                                                                            I grasp that between administrations transcripts would be sent to ensure the student is academically eligible to transfer. But one coach discussing student conduct with another coach while common sense strikes me as contrary to FERPA.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Cali_domer View Post
                                                                              Max Olson ‏@max_olson 7m7 minutes ago
                                                                              Art Briles emphatically denied he was aware of Sam Ukwuachu's violence issues at Boise State, said "there's no truth" to that accusation.


                                                                              "I talked with Chris Petersen personally," said Briles to reporters on Friday morning. "No mention of anything beyond Sam being depressed, needing to come home."
                                                                              Peterson, now at Washington,*released a statement of his own on Friday afternoon contradicting Briles. Peterson stated that he let Briles know everything about Ukwuachu.
                                                                              "After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," said Peterson in a statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."

                                                                              What deep trouble could Baylor be in? And with whom?

                                                                              Is there an NCAA violation I'm missing? Or is the deep trouble just questionable taste in judging character?

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                                What deep trouble could Baylor be in? And with whom?

                                                                                Is there an NCAA violation I'm missing? Or is the deep trouble just questionable taste in judging character?
                                                                                I agree that there doesn't seem to be a NCAA violation but there will probably be a Title IX investigation and a lawsuit brought by the young woman.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  Baylor, Art Briles ignored responsibility in admitting Sam Ukwuachu

                                                                                  There are plenty of problems with the way Baylor handled this. Its internal investigation of the rape allegation was so insufficient that the judge wouldn't allow it to be used by Ukwuachu's lawyer during the trial, according to an article in Texas Monthly. Baylor's lack of transparency about the situation and the inept performance of the local media in pursuing why Ukwuachu was suspended for the 2014 season all point to a program that was hoping it would go away.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Also I can't believe that the judge gave him 180 days. What a joke. The way that our country treats sexual assault/ domestic violence is crazy. He should be spending many years in jail not about 6 months.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                      This should be looked into, seriously. There was a real victim here and justice simply wasn't served for this severe of a crime.
                                                                                      Absolutely, this has nothing to do with the NCAA in reality. This is real life stuff that takes way more precedents. However, a college coach and program didn't see it that way. That's what's wrong and that's the problem. IMO, much worse than paying a kid to play ball. It's a legitimate crime that should be persicuted by the law. When they pleaded, we didn't know. Bullshit, you ran your "due diligence" and you said he was good. Just nobody else did.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by pkt77242 View Post
                                                                                        Also I can't believe that the judge gave him 180 days. What a joke. The way that our country treats sexual assault/ domestic violence is crazy. He should be spending many years in jail not about 6 months.
                                                                                        Seriously. This is by far the most f'd up part of the whole story. Nevermind what the football coaches did or didn't do. This POS raped a girl and is only going to jail for half a year?!? That dickhead judge has failed miserably. It's almost as if he's saying rape is bad, but not really that bad. I hope he has to explain his decision to the victim and her family, and all of the rapist's future victims.
                                                                                        60% of the time, it works every time.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by pkt77242 View Post
                                                                                          I agree that there doesn't seem to be a NCAA violation but there will probably be a Title IX investigation and a lawsuit brought by the young woman.
                                                                                          Again how is this "deep" trouble for Baylor? ND and others have been fined by DOJ after Title IX investigation. Lawsuits aren't unique. We live in a litiginous society.

                                                                                          I'm not downplaying the victim's pain or suffering nor the weak sauce sentence, I'm questioning I'm recognizing FSU's record, The Fulmer Award point system, and sexual charges on campus, and the hammer (since reduced) that the NCAA dropped on PSU for a serial child rapist.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            This just isn't about NCAA violations. When it comes to the suppression of charges in sexual assault cases against athletes, we have hit new territory. Not one but two institutions are involved in this case. And the way they have set themselves up, it is one against another; there is no possibility in this situation that one organization is not culpable in suppression of information under Title IX guidelines. Hell, it may even be every "man" for 'his-self', because before this is through, the NCAA could be stuck it the middle of all this as well!

                                                                                            The situation here is that the suppression of evidence shouts conspiracy, (between members of Baylor's Admin and Coaching Staff, the 'Waco' police (intentional) and possibly others. The others could be BSU, and Chris Petersen! And instead of NCAA sanctions, what culpability does the NCAA have? They obviously cleared this athlete to transfer.

                                                                                            CNN has a good long rundown; I will just post the link for those interested. But it is well detailed and fairly comprehensive :

                                                                                            Sam Ukwuachu guilty: What did Baylor know before? - CNN.com

                                                                                            Bottom line you have this from opposing coaches on either side of the BSU-BU transfer :

                                                                                            Chris Petersen -- now the head coach at the University of Washington -- was Boise State's head football coach when Ukwuachu was a member of the Broncos. In a statement Friday, he said he had reached out to Briles about Ukwuachu transferring.

                                                                                            "After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," Peterson said in the statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."
                                                                                            Originally posted by Cali_domer View Post
                                                                                            Max Olson ‏@max_olson 7m7 minutes ago
                                                                                            Art Briles emphatically denied he was aware of Sam Ukwuachu's violence issues at Boise State, said "there's no truth" to that accusation.


                                                                                            "I talked with Chris Petersen personally," said Briles to reporters on Friday morning. "No mention of anything beyond Sam being depressed, needing to come home."
                                                                                            Peterson, now at Washington,*released a statement of his own on Friday afternoon contradicting Briles. Peterson stated that he let Briles know everything about Ukwuachu.
                                                                                            "After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," said Peterson in a statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."
                                                                                            Last edited by Bogtrotter07; 08-22-2015, 05:44 AM.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              thoroughly apprised does not mean full disclosure of everything.
                                                                                              I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                                                                Texas is rubbing their hands together at the thought of Baylor returning to a nobody. They're already laughing about the fact A&M returned to their typical midcarder form after their first year in the SEC.
                                                                                                Agree, Texas will be the big winner here if Baylor is penalized. Same school that had a BB coach cover up murder of player by other player.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                                                  I'm curious how such a Peterson/Briles conversation would not be a FERPA violation.

                                                                                                  When a kid leaves ND, for example, the storyline is "XYZ is no longer enrolled in school." There is no mention of grades, Res/Life violations, police record from UND. Just XYZ is no longer enrolled. When pressed for details student privacy under FERPA is cited.

                                                                                                  But coaches are exempt because they are in the coaching fraternity? Good old boys can talk?

                                                                                                  I grasp that between administrations transcripts would be sent to ensure the student is academically eligible to transfer. But one coach discussing student conduct with another coach while common sense strikes me as contrary to FERPA.
                                                                                                  FERPA allows a student's old school to disclose issues to any school that the student attempts to transfer to. Presumably to stop something just like this from happening.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Dallas Morning News has big article on this in todays edition, and is calling for Briles to be fired if found lying.
                                                                                                    This could be a huge cloud unless cleared up quickly.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X