X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    I will always be left to wonder what the hell happened to UGA in the SEC Championship. Not only did they lose, but they were handled just one month prior to beating Alabama for a National Championship. I've heard people say they were overconfident but how any team going into an SEC Championship against Nick Saban could feel overconfident is coaching malfeasance. Not buying. I think they got outplayed but they got outplayed in the right game.
    A lot of people are still puzzled by this one, too. Some of it was just Bama was "on" and Georgia seemed flat. I think much of it, though, was that Georgia just came in with a completely flawed defensive gameplan and failed to correctly adjust when it didn't work. I think they believed that Bama's O-line would be easy to overpower. I still can't understand how they thought letting Young sit in a clean pocket every play was a good idea. When it became clear that they weren't getting enough pressure on him, they seemed to make few changes to correct that problem. I don't think Bama really out-schemed them, as we didn't seem to do anything particularly fancy or new. Georgia just didn't bring their A game defensively and failed to adjust correctly as the game went on.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    I fully expected Alabama to win, but when Williams got injured that really changed the dynamic of the game. I did, however, feel that UC DC Mike Tressel called a pretty good game against Bama's offense, especially in the first half, and it would give UGA something extra to work with they didn't have prior to the SEC Championship in terms of watching film. UGA's defense is also significantly more talented from front to back and depth wise compared to Cincinnati. I was expecting Bama to win a closer game and not score as many points as they did in the first game.

I will always be left to wonder what the hell happened to UGA in the SEC Championship. Not only did they lose, but they were handled just one month prior to beating Alabama for a National Championship. I've heard people say they were overconfident but how any team going into an SEC Championship against Nick Saban could feel overconfident is coaching malfeasance. Not buying. I think they got outplayed but they got outplayed in the right game.
    I don't think it was overconfidence. I think they still weren't convinced they could be Bama and got beat in the SEC CG. I think it also carried over to the first quarter of the CG. Finally the light bulb went on.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I fully expected Alabama to win, but when Williams got injured that really changed the dynamic of the game. I did, however, feel that UC DC Mike Tressel called a pretty good game against Bama's offense, especially in the first half, and it would give UGA something extra to work with they didn't have prior to the SEC Championship in terms of watching film. UGA's defense is also significantly more talented from front to back and depth wise compared to Cincinnati. I was expecting Bama to win a closer game and not score as many points as they did in the first game.

Leave a comment:

• Rockin’Irish
    replied
    Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
    I'm surprised. I thought Georgia would get pummeled after the SEC Championship. It really was in their best interest to knock off Bama there and avoid having to face them again in the playoff, but somehow they came out strong. Then again, as soon as I made my prediction that Alabama would win again I should have known Georgia would then find a way to win...cause that's how my predictions go
    It didn’t help ‘Bama that their two best WR’s were out as well as both of their starting CB’s……..but UGA took advantage and earned the win.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    I'm surprised. I thought Georgia would get pummeled after the SEC Championship. It really was in their best interest to knock off Bama there and avoid having to face them again in the playoff, but somehow they came out strong. Then again, as soon as I made my prediction that Alabama would win again I should have known Georgia would then find a way to win...cause that's how my predictions go

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

It all comes down to 'Bama's OL. That's been their Achilles Heel all season. They couldn't reliably open lanes for the RBs, nor could they protect Young (he was sacked 4 times by aTm, LSU, and Arkansas, and 7(!) times by Auburn). Then, in the SECCG against Georgia, which was statistically by far the best defense they'd faced all season, they suddenly figured out pass protection. Young has all the time in the world to pick apart the Dawg's secondary, doesn't get sacked once, and adds a few long scrambles to keep the chains moving. But they fell back to earth against Cinci, looking very beatable again.

Pass protection isn't normally something that's amenable to big sudden improvements when given extra time to prepare. Maybe it's just Saban's black magic?

If Georgia's defense plays up to its ratings, they should get to Young regularly and beat 'Bama as a result. It's also very difficult to beat a good team twice. Will it happen? History says no.
    Prophetic

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by NDRock View Post

I'd say the adults who continue to break the rules hurts college football more.
    Correct, and it has been this way for decades.

Leave a comment:

• NDRock
    replied
    Originally posted by drayer54 View Post

We need to quit griping about recruiting on here and open a gofundme to pay these brats instead. Aggies are going to buy their way to the top at this pace. This is how NIL hurts college football.
    I'd say the adults who continue to break the rules hurts college football more.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Originally posted by Dizzyphil View Post
    We need to quit griping about recruiting on here and open a gofundme to pay these brats instead. Aggies are going to buy their way to the top at this pace. This is how NIL hurts college football.

Leave a comment:

• Dizzyphil
    replied
    https://brobible.com/sports/article/...ass-nil-money/

Good article to read about NIL

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    The SEC went 1-3 against the G5 in bowl games and the win was Bama beating Cincinnati.

Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied

I'm not about to bet against Saban, but this is Kirby's window. 'Bama hasn't looked this vulnerable in years, and Georgia has never been stronger top to bottom. If Kirby can't beat Saban now, he probably never will.
    Exactly. If Kirby can’t do it this year then UGA should inherit the Clemson mantle of “Clemsoning” (obviously w/ a more apt name) b/c that’s inexcusable when you look at the talent and the fact we were told the UGA defense is the best in a generation…maybe history.

Rematches rarely favor the team that won the first go around but it’s Saban so who knows? I hope Bama blows them out even if it means another Bama title. The more the SEC looks like Bama & the 13 Dwarfs the better IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied
    If I were betting, I'd take Georgia albeit only with the money I was prepared to lose. It all depends on how that defense performs in the first 2 quarters. If the front seven can get to/rattle Bama's QB then Georgia has a strong chance of beating them.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyjack
    replied
    Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
    I think the Bama D is underrated next to Georgia. They didn't give Cincy anything to work with. They held Ole Miss to practically nothing. They didn't let Georgia get away with much in the first game. I expect them to do work on Georgia in the Natty. I'm betting Saban.
    It all comes down to 'Bama's OL. That's been their Achilles Heel all season. They couldn't reliably open lanes for the RBs, nor could they protect Young (he was sacked 4 times by aTm, LSU, and Arkansas, and 7(!) times by Auburn). Then, in the SECCG against Georgia, which was statistically by far the best defense they'd faced all season, they suddenly figured out pass protection. Young has all the time in the world to pick apart the Dawg's secondary, doesn't get sacked once, and adds a few long scrambles to keep the chains moving. But they fell back to earth against Cinci, looking very beatable again.

Pass protection isn't normally something that's amenable to big sudden improvements when given extra time to prepare. Maybe it's just Saban's black magic?

If Georgia's defense plays up to its ratings, they should get to Young regularly and beat 'Bama as a result. It's also very difficult to beat a good team twice. Will it happen? History says no.

Leave a comment:

• irishog77
    replied
    This is a tough game to gauge.

The most important piece of evidence, the head to head matchup, had Saban spanking the Kirbster.

All other evidence though, their weekly games against other teams and the eye test, points to georgia.

I don't think a win or loss by either team is good or bad, helpful or harmful, for ND. So I'm looking forward to watching what is hopefully a good, close game by the clear top 2 teams in the country.

*Side note- I don't think there is a great team in college this year, a la, alabama last year, lsu the year before, etc. Those seemed to be truly great teams. This year has more of a feel that while the winner will truly be the best of '21, they won't be a great team, historically.

Leave a comment:

• Rockin’Irish
    replied
    I’m also on the ‘Bama wagon here to beat UGA in the rematch………Bryce Young will continue to be a difference maker.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I like Alabama to beat UGA again. The SEC Championship wasn't a fluke. They came in ready to roll and if UGA was overconfident and or looking past them, they're fools.

Derek Mason's prevent defense got Alabama off the hook and into the door. Auburn had them but couldn't put it away.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

I'm not about to bet against Saban, but this is Kirby's window. 'Bama hasn't looked this vulnerable in years, and Georgia has never been stronger top to bottom. If Kirby can't beat Saban now, he probably never will.
    I think the Bama D is underrated next to Georgia. They didn't give Cincy anything to work with. They held Ole Miss to practically nothing. They didn't let Georgia get away with much in the first game. I expect them to do work on Georgia in the Natty. I'm betting Saban.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    I'm surprised - and couldn't be happier - that Georgia is favored in the rematch. Saban will work that underdog angle to his advantage again and turn it into another dose of "yummy" rat poison. Georgia may win this (I don't think they will, but they might), but Vegas did them absolutely no favors by making them the favorite.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied

I think you're right, this probably is Kirby's window, but it's going to be shut. They would have to come out with some unholy fire/motivation and even then I don't see it. Saban has already done his homework on them, and they've had extra time to break them down further at this point. Basically he's had all of December to rewatch the game film and shore up any holes they found. Short of coming out flat I think Smart is going to get out coached.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyjack
    replied
    Georgia really needed to show up in the SEC Championship. By losing they let Alabama back door into the playoff and they've likely blown their shot at winning a National Championship. We'll see on Monday, but I expect the Bulldogs lose again.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Georgia really needed to show up in the SEC Championship. By losing they let Alabama back door into the playoff and they've likely blown their shot at winning a National Championship. We'll see on Monday, but I expect the Bulldogs lose again.

Leave a comment:

• yankeehater
    replied
    Wasn't sure where to put this, but SEC is #1 so here you go. Real Time Conference RPI for the football season. The crazy thing is where the Pac 12 sits behind even the Mtn West and American. ND gets lumped in with the Indy's. ND RPI is 8th.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/college_f..._conf_Men.html

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    SEC Shorts - Georgia and Hope go to therapy - YouTube

Yesterday's SEC Shorts was great. They've had a running joke this season with 3 or 4 different videos involving Georgia and a girl named Hope who has a track record of getting him all worked up and then letting him down. In this one, Georgia and Hope are in couple's therapy. It's a classic.

Leave a comment:

• BrownerandFry
    replied
    Geaux Tigers! I will root for Kelly to succed there. He now works for a genuine Ad. And is rid of that mediiocre attention grabbing nincompoop and enabler of Mike Brey the jerry jones of college football, jack Swarbrick.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    I had to smile when LSU beat TAMU. For multiple reasons.

Leave a comment:

• dad4aa
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
    So I leave after work today for knoxville. I'm taking my son to his first Tennessee game at Neyland Stadium. He's a huge UT fan as well as the Titans. He's a Tennessee kid through and through.

I think they'll beat Vandy pretty handily and he will be happy. Fortunately, we are getting decent weather. 51 at kickoff and low 40s by the end. No rain or wind.

Coming home tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get to see some of the ND game. Need to crush them.
    Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy the day with your son.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Turtle
    replied
    So I leave after work today for knoxville. I'm taking my son to his first Tennessee game at Neyland Stadium. He's a huge UT fan as well as the Titans. He's a Tennessee kid through and through.

I think they'll beat Vandy pretty handily and he will be happy. Fortunately, we are getting decent weather. 51 at kickoff and low 40s by the end. No rain or wind.

Coming home tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get to see some of the ND game. Need to crush them.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
    Texas A&M with another big time commitment today. They likely will finish with a top 3 class.

Good for parity in the sport but sucks that we have to play them in a few years
    Wake me when Jimbo has a double digit winning season there. He's got Prairie View A&M this weekend, lame duck LSU and a bowl. Maybe it'll be soon.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

Georgia still has Charleston Sothern to play as well
    Imagine being the poor bastard at Charleston Southern tasked with guarding man mountain on the DL. Hard pass.

Leave a comment:

• NDPhilly
    replied
    Texas A&M with another big time commitment today. They likely will finish with a top 3 class.

Good for parity in the sport but sucks that we have to play them in a few years

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Hard to imagine he doesn't get at least 3 years to show something.
    That's the minimum these days anyway. He walked into a pandemic rebuild and his predecessor didn't leave much behind regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    I started watching it earlier on Facebook, but got interrupted and didn't catch the end. That wasn't bad
    Lea is gonna be regretting going to his alma matter someday soon. Actually on the "Coaches Hot Seat" site he's as borderline as you can get for hot seat, sitting at #31 for "Edge of Hot Seat"
    Hard to imagine he doesn't get at least 3 years to show something.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    I started watching it earlier on Facebook, but got interrupted and didn't catch the end. That wasn't bad
    Lea is gonna be regretting going to his alma matter someday soon. Actually on the "Coaches Hot Seat" site he's as borderline as you can get for hot seat, sitting at #31 for "Edge of Hot Seat"

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    SEC Shorts - SEC teams line up to claim their "L" - YouTube

This week's SEC Shorts is good, especially near the end when Texas arrives on the scene.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    If Dan Mullen finishes 6-6 does he keep his job? I could see them lose at Mizzou and at home to FSU to finish 5-7, but does a split save him?

Texas and Texas A&M both losing on the same day is so satisfying. Mucho mucho joy.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post
    I’m all for each team scheduling whoever they want, but it shouldn’t come without a downside. If Alabama, Florida, or whoever else wants to play 2 throwaway games a year that’s fine, but it shouldn’t count in the win column towards rankings in the CFP.

If a team has two games out of 12 like this, it should be weighted as if playing 10 games plus Conference Championship Game. ND gets dinged yearly for not playing 1 extra game when there are teams out there playing Arizona School of Arts and Crafts.
    In Indiana, prior to opening the playoffs to everyone, teams were awarded points for wins and losses based on the schools level 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A. For instance, if a 4A team beat a 3A, they didn't get the same points as beating a 4A team. If a 3A beat a 4A, they got more points than beating a 3A. Points were added up at the end of the season to see who gets into the playoffs. This caused some problems because there were quite a few rivalry games that teams dropped so they wouldn't get dinged for playing a lower division school.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

I can't speak for Florida, but Bama opened with Miami, Mercer, and Florida. That's not 2-3 cupcakes. We didn't play a single cupcake last year - a solid slate of in conference games - and went undefeated. Playing a couple of tune-up games lets you rest starters and get non-starters some game experience. You obviously don't like it, but look at how effective it's been. Hard to argue with results.
    I'd love for nothing more than for ND to open up with a MAC school and maybe a CUSA game in September. They have just come around to playing MAC games in the last few years under Kelly. I think it's smart. ND has never had the luxury of figuring themselves out against Indiana State and Northern Illinois to start a season.

Leave a comment:

• Irishbounty28
    replied
    I have no problem with the games, and as I stated teams should be able to schedule who they want. There is something to be said about body blows though. When teams can essentially take two days off during the season they benefit greatly and reduce their chances of having a letdown loss. I don’t think that can be understated.

I also don’t think the committee puts too much stock in those games, but at the same time ND needs the “13th data point”. Teams that play these schedules essentially only have 11, or 10 depending on how many lower level teams they play. It is legal though and teams can do as they wish. I can definitely see how it is beneficial for a multitude of different reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    I don't think the playoff committee pays a bit of attention to games against Mercer, Chattanooga St., or the like. I think they look at what a team did against top competition and essentially ignore the glorified scrimmages. They've made it pretty clear that playing Auburn, LSU, Florida, Georgia, TAMU, etc. is enough in their eyes to establish whether a team is one of the four best in the country or not. I feel pretty safe in saying the committee has never said, "Hmm, Bama or OSU? Dang, that Citadel win was the difference. Bama it is." Everybody understands that those are glorified scrimmages and not data points in the playoff equation.

I've never really understood the fuss about those games. They're not against any rules. Both sides benefit significantly. They don't hurt anyone else. And again, like them or not, there's no arguing their effectiveness.

Leave a comment:

• Irish du Nord
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post
    I’m all for each team scheduling whoever they want, but it shouldn’t come without a downside. If Alabama, Florida, or whoever else wants to play 2 throwaway games a year that’s fine, but it shouldn’t count in the win column towards rankings in the CFP.

If a team has two games out of 12 like this, it should be weighted as if playing 10 games plus Conference Championship Game. ND gets dinged yearly for not playing 1 extra game when there are teams out there playing Arizona School of Arts and Crafts.
    Idk about not counting them, but the idea of using FCS teams as "data points" always made me scratch my head. There is a massive difference between playing an AAC or MAC team and playing an FCS team.

Leave a comment:

• Irishbounty28
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Alabama and Florida have their garbage games this weekend.

I still don't understand how the greatest football conference ever needs to have a game of patty cake in November when they get 2-3 to start the season.
    I can't speak for Florida, but Bama opened with Miami, Mercer, and Florida. That's not 2-3 cupcakes. We didn't play a single cupcake last year - a solid slate of in conference games - and went undefeated. Playing a couple of tune-up games lets you rest starters and get non-starters some game experience. You obviously don't like it, but look at how effective it's been. Hard to argue with results.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied

I still don't understand how the greatest football conference ever needs to have a game of patty cake in November when they get 2-3 to start the season.
    Georgia still has Charleston Sothern to play as well

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

Pruitt comes from the Rush Propst coaching tree.

That's all I need to know about his character.
    Bingo. If you see a mentor slither is way to the top, you might be inclined to follow his path.

Pruitt can recruit and that gets him all the positive reputation he needs from the Internet community. He might even know a little bit about football. I wouldn't touch the baggage. I'd rather go find the next guy. That takes more work and more risk, it isn't how athletics work, but I'd sleep better in the end.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Florida and Texas sucking along together has been an absolute joy to watch this year.
    I wish Iowa State would have changed SEC as they crushed Texas last night. Going to be hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post
    Mullen is gonna either get his one time use in case of emergency staff overhaul like Kelly did this offseason or he takes a NFL gig
    Unfortunately for Mullen, and unlike Kelly, he's a complete ass.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied

I think Pruitt is a bum. He got a reputation as a good recruiter, and I know that recruiting is the end all be all for a lot of blokes eating Hot Pockets in their mom's basement, but apart from that I think the guy is toxic right now. I'm not sure Saban would bring him back again.

Patterson would have to adjust his scheme for the SEC is my guess.
    Pruitt comes from the Rush Propst coaching tree.

That's all I need to know about his character.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X