Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jameis Winston Decision 2pm

toryan smith ‏@ToryanSmith49 6m
    Why is there a 2pm announcement on Jameis Winston case? Why does is it have to be a show? The system is a joke!

Completely agree.

Originally posted by kuehnja View Post
    toryan smith ‏@ToryanSmith49 6m
    Why is there a 2pm announcement on Jameis Winston case? Why does is it have to be a show? The system is a joke!

Completely agree.
    Because this prosecutor is a grandstander.

The tumblers fall in place for an Ohio State national title.
    Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.

Comment

Do you think they'd have a news conference to announce they're pressing charges? I don't. If they were, I believe they would just arrest him. Anyone else think the same?

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
        Do you think they'd have a news conference to announce they're pressing charges? I don't. If they were, I believe they would just arrest him. Anyone else think the same?
        Agree.

Comment

Said the same. No charges will be pressed and Jameis will win the Heisman in a runaway.

Comment

I guess that would be the preferred method for criminals. Have the DA announce on TV that they are going to press charges against you, before they have....... I believe they call that a head start.

Comment

I would say so. This whole thing is a cluster-foxtrot of an investigation from the word go.

Comment

If charges were going to be filed he wouldn't be able to discuss a criminal investigation and there would be no reason for a PC. I think they will get defensive about not pressing charges because of the reported comments of the officer to the alleged victim.

Comment

Heisman is becoming a bigger joke each year.

Comment

You guys are probably right, and Yahoo quotes a couple of Fla. defense attorneys as agreeing. But he could call a presser and then have cops do the arrest at the same time. Here's what the defense lawyer says:

"Both Hobbs and another local defense attorney believe the calling of a press conference would be out of character for Meggs if he was planning on charging Winston. Meggs has been in office since 1985.

" 'My experience with Meggs' office has been that unlike some jurisdictions, he doesn't like the dramatic press conference where it is announced that 'law enforcement is arresting the suspect right now,' Hobbs told Yahoo Sports. 'In almost 15 years of practice I have never seen him do that in a high-profile case.' "
                    Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.

Comment

I don't know why everyone is up in arms over this if he's going to say they're not pressing charges.

The public will want an explanation why and you will have to have a press release/press conference to provide that information. It's only natural to schedule it immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                        I don't know why everyone is up in arms over this if he's going to say they're not pressing charges.

The public will want an explanation why and you will have to have a press release/press conference to provide that information. It's only natural to schedule it immediately.
                        That's what I was thinking too. If they don't charge him, the public will demand an explanation. So the press conference seems like the prudent thing to do.
                        Originally posted by koonja
                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

So there is a warrant...I'm not sure if they already had one or not. Could be a search warrant and not an arrest warrant, we will see.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Warrants say alleged victim in Winston case says she was raped in apartment after drinking at bar.</p>&mdash; The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP/statuses/408643036064006145">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
                          <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Wow this is just awful. Will Ferrell was supposed to be making an appearance on ESPN as Ron Burgandy but its now cancelled be cause of the Wiston press conference.

Y! SPORTS

Also this was supposed to take place at 6pm. So the press conference is at 2pm, that means just get ready for at least 4 hours of post coverage for this.
                            .....Before I Get Out

Comment

Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                              Wow this is just awful. Will Ferrell was supposed to be making an appearance on ESPN as Ron Burgandy but its now cancelled be cause of the Wiston press conference.

Y! SPORTS

Also this was supposed to take place at 6pm. So the press conference is at 2pm, that means just get ready for at least 4 hours of post coverage for this.
                              Shit just got real...

Comment

Originally posted by WakeUpEchoes View Post
                                So there is a warrant...I'm not sure if they already had one or not. Could be a search warrant and not an arrest warrant, we will see.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Warrants say alleged victim in Winston case says she was raped in apartment after drinking at bar.</p>&mdash; The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP/statuses/408643036064006145">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
                                It took me a couple times to get what you were saying here. If "warrantS" exist, that must mean that there will be an arrest, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                  It took me a couple times to get what you were saying here. If "warrantS" exist, that must mean that there will be an arrest, correct?
                                  Pretty sure arrest warrants and search warrants are different.

Comment

Originally posted by domerfreak View Post
                                    Pretty sure arrest warrants and search warrants are different.
                                    They wouldn't be issuing search warrants at what they have stated is a completed investigation.

Comment

They wouldn't be issuing search warrants at what they have stated is a completed investigation.
                                      could be the warrant already completed that has since been made public...if it was an arrest warrant think it would be pretty clear

found this fwiw
                                      Warrants detail accusations in Jameis Winston case - ESPN

Comment

ESPN is reporting them as the details of the search warrant from earlier in the investigation.

Comment

I see. That makes sense.

Comment

FWIW....

just heard on the radio per "warrants that have been released today" the victim is unsure about some details...including fuzzy on the details on exactly where the alleged raped happened, and not totally sure of the perpetrator(this after the victim named Winston on the December 7th filed complaint). I heard this on the Jay Mohr radio show, they were speculating that no 'rape' charges are going to be announced since this newly released information seems to point to uncertainty in the victims case/story.
                                            YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
                                            Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

Comment

Originally posted by TDHeysus View Post
                                              FWIW....

just heard on the radio per "warrants that have been released today" the victim is unsure about some details...including fuzzy on the details on exactly where the alleged raped happened, and not totally sure of the perpetrator(this after the victim named Winston on the December 7th filed complaint). I heard this on the Jay Mohr radio show, they were speculating that no 'rape' charges are going to be announced since this newly released information seems to point to uncertainty in the victims case/story.
                                              Smart to release that info just ahead of the press conference. Answering the questions before you step up and make the announcement that no charges will be filed.

Comment

Originally posted by TDHeysus View Post
                                                FWIW....

Your time line is a bit off. She did not i.d. him in the Dec 7th complaint, she didn't identify him until Jan 10th. The complaint alleges she is fuzzy on details due to having 5-6 shots at a bar. Some details at the link

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...s-Winston-case
                                                Last edited by sfk324; 12-05-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RT <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter">@SportsCenter</a>: BREAKING: Jameis Winston will not be charged in connection to sexual assault accusation source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/JCameronShow">@JCameronShow</a></p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/statuses/408666497372803072">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

Comment

espn reporting winston will not be charged

Jameis Winston not charged after sexual assault investigation - ESPN

Comment

No story ever makes it to the press conference anymore.

Comment

Not surprised at all they won't charge. I do find it strange the ESPN report states they could not secure an indictment. I thought there was enough to get an indictment, but not a conviction. Meggs has insisted he would not charge unless there was a reasonable likelihood of a conviction, which to me made today a foregone conclusion.

EDIT: The language I found strange has now been removed from the ESPN story. It read something along the lines of "the source said no charges would be filed because Meggs felt he could not secure an indictment."
                                                        Last edited by sfk324; 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sfk324 View Post
                                                          Not surprised at all they won't charge. I do find it strange the ESPN report states they could not secure an indictment. I thought there was enough to get an indictment, but not a conviction. Meggs has insisted he would not charge unless there was a reasonable likelihood of a conviction, which to me made today a foregone conclusion.
                                                          the other thing i found strange was espn claims he can still be charged but will not be charged at this time. WTF!

Comment

the other thing i found strange was espn claims he can still be charged but will not be charged at this time. WTF!
                                                            Can you imagine the outrage if he won the Heisman and a national title... then got charged with rape? My god.

Comment

Can you imagine the outrage if he won the Heisman and a national title... then got charged with rape? My god.
                                                              I think the NCAA could still strip it.

Comment

That's pretty standard. If they get more evidence in the future, they can elect to file at that time. I'm unfamiliar with FL law, but (as a for example) in the state I'm licensed, this would be a Class X felony and the issue of statute of limitations is 10 years. This essentially is just a determination that charges won't be filed, not that Winston is exonerated of wrongdoing.

Comment

There would be no way that they could say he will NEVER be charged. New evidence could pop up, statutory of limitations is 4 years in Florida on first degree rape.

Comment

Pretty sure the NCAA has no power over the Heisman whatsoever...
                                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

true but i think wooly means fan reaction. the fact that this took 11 months to make it to meggs desk is beyond excusable and smells fishy to say the least. then turn around and charge him three months down the road = complete meltdown

Comment

I was in wait and see mode, just like with Trayvon and other national stories... if the DA had any reason to believe his guilt and had any amount of evidence to move forward I believe they would have charged him... innocent until proven guilty... let the kid alone...
                                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

EDIT: The language I found strange has now been removed from the ESPN story. It read something along the lines of "the source said no charges would be filed because Meggs felt he could not secure an indictment."
                                                                          Couldn't secure an indictment is not an explanation. The Grand Jury in basically every jurisdiction always takes its cue from the DA. If he indicated he wanted to press the case he would have an indictment.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                            Pretty sure the NCAA has no power over the Heisman whatsoever...
                                                                            Sorry, the Trust could.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                                                                              Couldn't secure an indictment is not an explanation. The Grand Jury in basically every jurisdiction always takes its cue from the DA. If he indicated he wanted to press the case he would have an indictment.
                                                                              Right, the victim's identification of him as the attacker and his DNA in her underwear are enough to get an indictment, no question. The State's Attorney just doesn't think Winston's the guy, that's all.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                I was in wait and see mode, just like with Trayvon and other national stories... if the DA had any reason to believe his guilt and had any amount of evidence to move forward I believe they would have charged him... innocent until proven guilty... let the kid alone...
                                                                                I'm not a fan of that argument. "Innocent until proven guilty" applies to the legal system so we're not locking people up unless we can prove their guilt. I don't have to use that standard when I form personal opinions about people. I can apply whatever standard I'd like, whether it's "beyond a reasonable doubt," "a preponderance of the evidence," "yeah, he probably did it," or "I don't like his face, so there." OJ Simpson is a murderer, even if he wasn't "proven guilty" in a court of law. Michael Jackson was a weirdo creep who probably did stuff with little boys, even though I can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  As someone who wants to be a prosecutor, I know part of the deal is wanting to win the case, but I am suprised that they did not at least take this court and get an indictment
                                                                                  God Country Notre Dame
                                                                                  http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

That's my point. He has been consistently saying two things: 1. he would not go before a grand jury; 2. he would not file charges unless there was a reasonable likelihood of conviction. The original report's language that he did not feel he could secure an indictment made no sense in light of those two things, especially the first. I suspect he will make some sort of statement that implies #2 above.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Also, dealing with the Trayvon Martin case the original DA did not want to press charges and the cops did not want to press charges, I still believe the state attorney made a good decision by taking that to court.
                                                                                      God Country Notre Dame
                                                                                      http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        That's my point. He has been consistently saying two things: 1. he would not go before a grand jury; 2. he would not file charges unless there was a reasonable likelihood of conviction. The original report's language that he did not feel he could secure an indictment made no sense in light of those two things, especially the first. I suspect he will make some sort of statement that implies #2 above.
                                                                                        Oh I see. I didn't know that he had said he wouldn't go before a grand jury. I wonder why not.

The news article was probably just inaccurate, unless it was a direct quote. I feel like most people don't understand the process of bringing charges or the difference between different charging instruments.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Emcee77 View Post
                                                                                          Oh I see. I didn't know that he had said he wouldn't go before a grand jury. I wonder why not.

The news article was probably just inaccurate, unless it was a direct quote. I feel like most people don't understand the process of bringing charges or the difference between different charging instruments.
                                                                                          I found the "no grand jury" stance curious as well. Agreed on the last part---watching Law & Order does not equal knowledge of the legal system.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            meggs press conference was interesting...up to this point i thought winston and this girl knew each other prior to the alleged assault and she claims they did not. she also claims she had consensual sex with her boyfriend that also did not know winston. Now im really conflicted.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              meggs press conference was interesting...up to this point i thought winston and this girl knew each other prior to the alleged assault and she claims they did not. she also claims she had consensual sex with her boyfriend that also did not know winston. Now im really conflicted.
                                                                                              That's my confliction. Not only did she not know him, but she immedietely got a rape kit done.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                                                                I'm not a fan of that argument. "Innocent until proven guilty" applies to the legal system so we're not locking people up unless we can prove their guilt. I don't have to use that standard when I form personal opinions about people. I can apply whatever standard I'd like, whether it's "beyond a reasonable doubt," "a preponderance of the evidence," "yeah, he probably did it," or "I don't like his face, so there." OJ Simpson is a murderer, even if he wasn't "proven guilty" in a court of law. Michael Jackson was a weirdo creep who probably did stuff with little boys, even though I can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.
                                                                                                Agreed. Unable to prove guilt and innocence are not the same thing. I'm sure what actually happened that night is in some gray area where she was drunk and he took advantage of her but since alcohol was involved, no one really knows what happened that night and that is why this case isn't moving forward.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  That's my confliction. Not only did she not know him, but she immedietely got a rape kit done.
                                                                                                  Yeah, I'm with you guys ... this is the part that seems bad for Jameis. To the extent she's saying that she did not know him, it also helps her credibiliity-- if I understand this correctly -- that she took a month to identify him.

We just don't have all the facts so I don't want to leap to conclusions, but I can't help but feel like there's something fishy.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    This public announcement and media circus are despicable. Any victim who encounters a similar situation in the future will be hesitant to come forward because the last thing a rape victim wants is the case to be publicized.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X