X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Miles tough love?

@SEC_Logo: Les Miles tough love motivation: http://t.co/cGHQqWlX

Clearly a case of not having "chest".
    "Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America"

Comment

Damn, I actually admire that.

Comment

According to reddit, this is posted on the window of the S&C coach's office. So this isn't coming directly from Miles.

Comment

I find this situation to be BS. Even if it is the S & C coach's office, the buck still stops with the head coach. These guys are amateurs. Regardless of the truthful circumstances, this is no way to teach a lesson to them or anyone else. Clearly, the coaches haven't been able to get these guys to step up their game and commit 100%. So this is how they respond??? This is leadership??? At least two coaches on LSU's staff should catch heat for this.

Comment

Shaming in public and amongst your peers is a great way to motivate people.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky2820 View Post
              I find this situation to be BS. Even if it is the S & C coach's office, the buck still stops with the head coach. These guys are amateurs. Regardless of the truthful circumstances, this is no way to teach a lesson to them or anyone else. Clearly, the coaches haven't been able to get these guys to step up their game and commit 100%. So this is how they respond??? This is leadership??? At least two coaches on LSU's staff should catch heat for this.
              I see your point, but we don't know how many other ways the coaches had tried before to motivate those players to work harder and be more dependable. While this is still amateur sports, it's not little league baseball or even high school football. This is big-time athletics at an elite program and they're earning a scholarship for their contribution to it. They are men. If they want to be treated like men, then they have to act like men.
              Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Wow, some 5 star studs on that list.
                This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

So is he saying that they do not have the chest for the NFL?
                  GO IRISH!

Comment

What are the odds that the excuses for missing workouts involved studying or working on a paper?

Comment

Always loved Les.

Comment

Love it.

Don't want to be called out, then work like you're supposed to. They're not playing AYSO or YMCA ball where everyone gets to play and they all get snacks afterwards. (This is Division 1 football!!!) Lack of work ethic from several important players (or would-be important players) could be the reason they barely beat HORRIBLE teams like Auburn and Arkansas and something called Towson, and why they lost close battles to Alabama and Florida. That team is LOADED, but yet they played to the level of almost every single opponent.

More dedication to the tough (yet extremely important) things would elevate that team to the level of Alabama IMO. So if calling them out is the last ditch effort to get their arses in gear, then more power to them...
                        sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

I'm so tired of the bs lines that these are kids...does the military say that when they r sending 18 .19 etc year olds over to war....if Ur a 18 19 year old working a job and decide not to come in or show up late...is there not consequences? Like loss of job or suspended..no they instill discipline and when a coach does this I applaud this! More of this and less entitlement would be best for them....look at the waste of talent of players who lack the discipline...
                          EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Look how crinkled the sign is. It's been up there a while. LSU obviously doesn't get RKG's

Comment

I love that. Hell I'd do that if I were a high school coach.

Comment

Good to see some accountability in SEC football for once.

Comment

Completely willing to stand on my own on this one. If they wanted to hang the sign for internal team-based accountability, fine. But the fact of the matter is that it was permitted to be captured via camera and posted on the Internet for anyone and everyone to see. Not acceptable IMO.

The context of the sign is the NFL draft. Of the 10 guys on the list, 6 of them are not even draft eligible yet. In fact, 2 of them are true freshmen and 1 is a redshirt freshman. Of the 4 guys who are draft eligible, 3 of them are in their third year at LSU and 1 is in his fourth year. That one guy is Sam Montgomery, who is projected as a 1st round draft pick should he decide to go pro. So what exactly are they trying to accomplish here to hurt a guys draft status who is slated to be a 1st round pick? To motivate underclassmen, 2 of whom are just out of high school?

Now, Ill be the first to admit that I dont know the first detail behind any of these kids work ethics and levels of commitment to the program. Neither do you. And neither do we know what steps the coaches took prior to this action. But we both know that any D1 coach will not hesitate to sit a player who isnt the best, most prepared player for that particular Saturday. And we both also know that in the SEC many coaches will not hesitate to not renew that scholarship. How many of these kids sat for games or even parts of games due to their lack of commitment? I know this: Sam Montgomery didnt. And theres a great likelihood that hes going pro. So, its unacceptable to post something like this on the Internet when youre not even willing to discipline the guy through his playing time. Bush league you dont risk his future like theyve done when you dont have the nuts to discipline him through PT. No integrity in that whatsoever. No leadership in that whatsoever. This has nothing to do with tough love or pampering kids.

Here are the 10 players:
                                  Jonah Austin: Redshirt Feshman (3 Star) not draft eligible
                                  Lael Collins: True Sophomore (5 Star) not draft eligible
                                  James Wright: True Junior (4 Star) 18 receptions, 242 yards, 0 TDs
                                  Spencer Ware: True Junior (5 Star) 91 carries, 358 yards, 1 TD
                                  Anthony Johnson: True Sophomore (5 Star) not draft eligible
                                  Micah Eugene: True Sophomore (3 Star) not draft eligible
                                  Dwayne Thomas: True Freshman (4 Star) not draft eligible
                                  Tharold Simon: True Junior (4 Star) 38 tackles, 4 INT
                                  Kwon Alexander: True Freshman (4 Star) not draft eligible
                                  Sam Montgomery: Redshirt Junior (4 Star) 32 tackles, 7 sacks

Comment

Originally posted by scUM Hater View Post
                                    Look how crinkled the sign is. It's been up there a while.
                                    I was looking at an LSU board and they say the sign's been up for years, but the list of players changes regularly. Also said if you miss a workout or practice for any reason other than not being medically cleared or having a death in the family, you go on the list. They say it's not a big deal and just about everyone makes the list at one time or another - that it's just a humorous motivator to not miss a workout, not some major attempt at humiliation.
                                    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Looks like the ATTN NFL SCOUTS sign is there all the time, and the player list can change depending on circumstances.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Bishop. Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

Well, if that's true I'll no longer feel offended for the sake of these kids. I'll just think the whole idea of the sign is kind of dumb.

Comment

The sign clearly shows what Coach Miles thinks motivates his kids and that is playing on Sunday. "I won't speak highly of you to scouts." I think it is weak sauce and explains why they will never be as good a team as Alabama regardless of how talented they may be. Even if that is their ultimate goal, it seems like an immature ploy and I think you need to have more than that to excel on Saturday.
                                          Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

Rocky, I respect you a lot and enjoy your posts all the time! This one I gotta disagree with you. I was in the military at 19 years old. Was held accountable for every action of mine and every action of my peers. I've been belittled and publicly humiliated every which way but right. I know it's a little different in circumstance but these guys don't deserve anything. You want respect, earn it. You can't handle being pushed, don't play a man's game. That's just how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeeND View Post
                                              Rocky, I respect you a lot and enjoy your posts all the time! This one I gotta disagree with you. I was in the military at 19 years old. Was held accountable for every action of mine and every action of my peers. I've been belittled and publicly humiliated every which way but right. I know it's a little different in circumstance but these guys don't deserve anything. You want respect, earn it. You can't handle being pushed, don't play a man's game. That's just how I see it.
                                              Much respect for you too, Yankee. Reasonable minds can disagree.

And most importantly, thank you for your service to our country. That is far more important than anything associated with this discussion.

Comment

Don't Forget Les is a scUM man.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky2820 View Post
                                                  Much respect for you too, Yankee. Reasonable minds can disagree.

And most importantly, thank you for your service to our country. That is far more important than anything associated with this discussion.
                                                  All the more reason why I respect you! Very sensible, as usual. I think this day in age I'm just so tired of kids pulling stupid crap and having people be so protective over their feelings. I don't mean children, I mean 18+. We all make mistakes though and it's not the end of the world but a little motivation can go along way. If it helps these guys not make the same mistake twice, I'm all in.

Comment

I agree with Rocky. Key is internal. Hold players fully accountable within your team - internally and demand commitment. Bring issue up in team meetings or face to face coaches and player. Withhold playing team if required. The fact that this is being discussed on internet damages LSU's coaches relationship and trust with players and team unity. LSU has PUBLICLY embarassed these players. Is the coaching staff so weak and the team leadership so lacking that they have to resort to this to motivate players? Nick Saban is smiling.

Comment

Well, the Hatter better dish out some tough love to his O-line because Clemson owned them pretty badly...like 8 sacks. SEC takes one on the chin tonight. Clemson was pretty damned physical and not all that intimidated...just kept playing and wore out LSU's D, and got enough pressure from their own D.
                                                      One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

i wonder if not showing up for the fourth quarter gets you on that list. if so, we're gonna need some more paper and windows.

Comment

Originally posted by clashmore_jon View Post
                                                          i wonder if not showing up for the fourth quarter gets you on that list. if so, we're gonna need some more paper and windows.
                                                          They apparently didn't have the chest to play the 4th....

Comment

Originally posted by clashmore_jon View Post
                                                            Rolling!
                                                            Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                            Working...
                                                            X