Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Urban Broke Florida Football

Nice read.

From champs to chomped: How Urban Meyer broke Florida football - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Great read.

Comment

Didn't have to read any further than the third paragraph to see the Urban Liar Meyer we all know and loathe:

"Multiple sources told Sporting News that Meyer—who won two national championships in six years at Florida and cemented his legacy as one of the game’s greatest coaches—told the Diggs family that he wouldn’t let his son go to Florida because of significant character issues in the locker room."

Comes as no surprise to anyone. Meyer is a snake oil salesman masquerading as some high character christian who looks out for these kids. Sorry Meyer, it's more like I wouldn't want MY son to go to Ohio State. Or any school where you're coaching, for that matter. D BAG.
      www.chicagosportstown.com

Comment

Also, remember when the Ohio State types on here tried to defend Meyer as someone who doesn't overrecruit or abuse medical hardships? I can't believe I listened to that garbage. This article clearly states a concrete example of him abusing the rule.

Comment

immediately posted that on my facebook wall. I bet at least 10 of my OSU friends get pissy

Comment

Meyer denies allegations that he cast Florida and its players in a dark light when he spoke to the Diggs family, and said, “I love Florida; I’ll always be a Gator. My motives were pure as gold when I left. We left Florida because I was dealing with health issues that I’ve since learned how to control.”
            I'll let that speak for itself.

Comment

I got a good chuckle out of "pure as gold".

Comment

Man, I can't wait until Urban gets caught and the O$U program gets totally blown up. That will be a sweet, sweet day

Comment

So, does Ezekiel Elliott still want to be his Percy Harvin? Gives new light to that little phrase.

Comment

He's such a POS.

Comment

Can you control sociopathology?

Comment

Originally posted by Me2SouthBend View Post
                        So, does Ezekiel Elliott still want to be his Percy Harvin? Gives new light to that little phrase.
                        Need to post this to EE's thread!

Comment

How do parents read this and say "yep, I want my son to play for this guy?"
                          60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

I find it extremely ironic that a lot of this was happening with Tim Tebow there too.

Comment

Not a lot of surprise there. Sounds like Meyer's program got too good, and too fast. Not defending him per se, but pandering to too many elite players will tear any team or program apart. Just look at how NBA analysts are constantly bitching "can these two/three stars play together??? Who will be the man?" It's a bit similar in football, for who will get to be held above the rules and standards. I guess in economics the comparison would be economies of scale, and that eventually **** just gets too big to handle; it sorta implodes. You could look at this from a historical aspect of sports (and history in general) and see that there's almost a gravitational pull back to the center. What goes up must come down. This article shows how, so it's pretty fascinating. If a program is built the right now, and it's unsustainable, it will crumble like this. Guys like Joe Paterno and Tom Osbourne did it the right way and didn't burn out as a result. Meyer's building of (whoa..gerund phrase usage! score.) Florida's program in an unethical manner resulted in serious problems.

Meyer will fit in beautifully at Ohio State. Again, Ohio State is the SEC. You would need a magnifying glass to see any differences. It's the way football factories are run. You don't think the exact same stuff in this article goes down at Alabama, LSU, USC, etc etc etc etc?? It does.

So I guess I would just say that Urban Meyer is not unique in this regard. Notre Dame is unique in regards to actually conducting a program with honor, but even the Irish fail. We all fail, as we are human.

It's been known for a while now that Meyer basically just wanted to hit the reset button in his move away from Florida. Ohio State opened up and gave him literally the perfect opportunity to do so. It will be interesting to see what he has learned from his days at Florida.
                              Last edited by Buster Bluth; 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

"Remember, it's not a lie if you believe it."

---George Costanza
                                Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Irish View Post
                                  "Remember, it's not a lie if you believe it."

---George Costanza
                                  "I lie every second of the day. My whole life is a sham."
                                  --George Costanza

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                                    "I lie every second of the day. My whole life is a sham."
                                    --Urban Meyer
                                    Fixed it!
                                    Looks better!
                                    We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                                      I find it extremely ironic that a lot of this was happening with Tim Tebow there too.
                                      Meyer treated Tebow as a son. They had a great relationship. I can imagine he sheltered him as much as possible.

Seeing how Tebow galvanized the Broncos, I would bet he was a huge reason Florida didn't derail earlier than it did. Meyer knew this which is why he tried to leave after the 2009 season (Tebow's last) before actually following through in 2010.

Comment

I know someone who played for Florida during the 2008 and 2009 Season. He told me that one day during practice he knocked out Tebow and the Coaches chewed him out. Basically they werent allowed to hit Tebow anymore and Tebow just outworks everybody and Tebow was the reason why Florida won a lot of games.

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Golden Tate Fan View Post
                                          I know someone who played for Florida during the 2008 and 2009 Season. He told me that one day during practice he knocked out Tebow and the Coaches chewed him out. Basically they werent allowed to hit Tebow anymore and Tebow just outworks everybody and Tebow was the reason why Florida won a lot of games.
                                          Your QB could be Pat Dillingham, and coaches would chew a guy out (and most likely do much worse) if a guy knocked out the QB. Please don't act like this was a Tebow thing, and not a "every program in the nation protects their QBs in practice" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                            Your QB could be Pat Dillingham, and coaches would chew a guy out (and most likely do much worse) if a guy knocked out the QB. Please don't act like this was a Tebow thing, and not a "every program in the nation protects their QBs in practice" thing.
                                            Exactly. Has this dude every played football before? hahah you don't even hit the QB at the high school level a lot of the time.

Sounds like his connection was a total moron.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                              Knowing Urban, he was probably telling Tebow he loved him like a son, then placing bounties on him in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
                                                Knowing Urban, he was probably telling Tebow he loved him like a son, then placing bounties on him in practice.
                                                Hahahahahahahaha. "It was just tough love. Tim was my son in every way, and I wanted him to realize he wasn't above the team when I told Brandon Spikes to gouge his eyes in practice. He's a better man now because of it, although his eyesight or peripheral vision might not be."

Comment

I thought it was weird that Meyer "retired" and then came back only 2 years later to coach again. It seems much more plausible that he needed a nice BS reason to exit Florida (I remember it being about spending more time with his family, the article says health issues, whatever). I'd say he has dirt on him. We will see what happens at OSU.

Comment

Simply put, Urban is a prime example of what is wrong with modern college sports. He's not the only one, just one of it's shining examples. He disgusts me.
                                                    www.chicagosportstown.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChiRish View Post
                                                      Simply put, Urban is a prime example of what is wrong with modern college sports. He's not the only one, just one of it's shining examples. He disgusts me.
                                                      You speak the truth and I share your disgust.
                                                      We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Originally posted by ChiRish View Post
                                                        Its about two things.......$$$ and W's. If you get them both, you can do whatever you want.

There are very few great coaches that are also great men.

Comment

I've officially retired from discussing Urban Meyer with Ohio State fans. I just got done having a discussion with a Buckeye fan who, when given this article and several others much like, said that it was more of a "University of Florida thing" than an Urban thing. I just can't do it anymore. Not if I want to maintain my mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by Meacon Irish View Post
                                                            I've officially retired from discussing Urban Meyer with Ohio State fans. I just got done having a discussion with a Buckeye fan who, when given this article and several others much like, said that it was more of a "University of Florida thing" than an Urban thing. I just can't do it anymore. Not if I want to maintain my mental health.
                                                            The local sports radio guys here in Columbus were basically saying this article was about "being mean to a couple of recruits." OSU fans are just blinded to reality

Comment

That is funny about history repeating itself; they were about Tressel and his hijinks at Youngstown State, too. That was just all a mistake and officials were being too harsh

Comment

O$U makes me sick. Talk about a superiority complex...

almost choked when I saw the byline on this article. Who knew Matt Hayes could do decent reporting??

Comment

Just more proof of Urban being a liar............

https://twitter.com/#!/SPORTSbyBROOK...370817/photo/1

Comment

A new article, with Rainey basically throwing himself under the bus and confirming what Meyer vehemently tried to deny in the earlier article.

Meyer's past shows penchant for acquiring talent, not instilling character - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Comment

Sporting News is a pretty reputable outfit to be going after Meyer. It doesn't have the exposure of ESPN or Sports Illustrated, unfortunately, but it isn't like its Bleacher Report coming out with this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                                                        Sporting News is a pretty reputable outfit to be going after Meyer. It doesn't have the exposure of ESPN or Sports Illustrated, unfortunately, but it isn't like its Bleacher Report coming out with this stuff.
                                                                        Agree. I couldn't read more than a few comments because it was littered with O$U idiots posting "haters gonna hate" and "Sporting News still exists?" SN is superior to SI from a journalistic standpoint, but SI is smart enough to dumb down their publication with tons of pictures and swimsuit issues.

Comment

Interesting recruiting strategy from Urban.

Compliance Department warns Ohio State student-athletes about Kentucky sex offender - Sports - The Lantern - Ohio State University

Comment

This guy is the one that was tweeting Heuerman a lot. He also hung around the spots where the players hung out and became friends with them.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              yeah an OSU blogger just posted something about how creepy he was last week, before it became known that he was a sex offender.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Mike retweeted and OSU player that said: "What the .........."

I'm thinking I know why now
                                                                                “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

• #41

ewwwwwww

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Eric Waugh [Creepy Story with Updates] | Eleven Warriors

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Grab the pitchforks.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I was wondering who that guy was when I first saw that Picture. Ewww. Anzalone might want to go take a couple dozen showers.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                                                                                          yeah an OSU blogger just posted something about how creepy he was last week, before it became known that he was a sex offender.
                                                                                          Update: Charles Eric Waugh Arrested - Land-Grant Holy Land

Equal character.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Oh, my gawd, they're serious!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              So basically Urban's going to win a couple National Championships for OSU then "retire" when the house comes crashing down again?

How is this a win for us?
                                                                                              I think most OSU fans would take that deal.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Saint Jimmy View Post
                                                                                                So basically Urban's going to win a couple National Championships for OSU then "retire" when the house comes crashing down again?

How is this a win for us?
                                                                                                I think most OSU fans would take that deal.
                                                                                                Yeah, the only fans in the country that wouldn't take that are delusional ND fans who pretend they wouldn't take two National Titles and a bit of scandal...
                                                                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                                  Yeah, the only fans in the country that wouldn't take that are delusional ND fans who pretend they wouldn't take two National Titles and a bit of scandal...
                                                                                                  Because the ends justify the means, right?
                                                                                                  Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Redbar View Post
                                                                                                    Because the ends justify the means, right?
                                                                                                    In the current climate of college football... ... ... yeah.
                                                                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X