Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things pOSU

Barry Alvarez to talk to Delany about Meyer - CBSSports.com
    Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

I wouldn't call that being "in trouble"
    God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate Penn St. Hater View Post
      I wouldn't call that being "in trouble"
      ^

When somebody finds a violation that they're are willing to file to the Conference/NCAA than they thread might have some meat. This is grumbling.

Comment

Other stuff going around campus. Students on campus are sayng some of the stories they are hearing are crazy. They didnt even flinch when I told him about the Neal situation.
        Last edited by micks60; 02-02-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Bringing the SEC style to the Big Ten. Going to be fun to watch this train wreck.

Comment

Originally posted by micks60 View Post
            Other stuff going around campus. Students on campus are sayng some of the stories he is hearing are crazy. He didnt even flinch when I told him about the Neal situation.
            I'm confused

Comment

Originally posted by micks60 View Post
              Other stuff going around campus. Students on campus are sayng some of the stories he is hearing are crazy. He didnt even flinch when I told him about the Neal situation.
              What Neal situation. Please elaborate

Comment

Oops. My bad guys. Nothing illegal. Just how the visit went. My bad if you guys took it as more. There are good stories out there but I dont want to say what I heard because I cannot prove it. Let an inside guy put things together.

Comment

Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                  I'm confused
                  I re-worded. My bad

Comment

Good news is, the conference got their 4 year scholly rule in before Urbie could get a foothold, and start his crap.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything in place to reign in Urbie's conduct on the recruiting trail, so guess what...Urbie's standard will become the standrad of recruiting in the Big 10.

Its like a big giant negative political campaign out there full of lies and distortions with absolutely no honor or dignity...

Sorry Big 10, but one thing you will share with the SEC is a disgusting recruiting cycle every year...bet you all are happy to have Urbie on board...
                    One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Espn article about it: Meyer's recruiting methods under fire - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Comment

Are we just talking about poaching? What is the illegal-or unethical issue at hand?
                        I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

Comment

He gone

Comment

Originally posted by Fbolt View Post
                            Are we just talking about poaching? What is the illegal-or unethical issue at hand?
                            Its frowned upon in the Big 10. RichRod went through the same thing.

Comment

Lol trying to sway a prospect is frowned upon in the B10? Ridiculous. Why would schools like OSU want to comply with it?

Comment

Originally posted by china423 View Post
                                Do you think high school kids pay attention to this stuff? Or do they not care....?

Comment

Kicking everyone's a$$ in the Midwest when it comes to recruiting is unfortunately not a NCAA violation.
                                  He's been described as having poor coverage skills with below average instincts and issues with tackling. Picture a safety slightly better than Sergio Brown.

Comment

I love this Bielema quote.....

"We at the Big Ten don't want to be like the SEC -- in any way, shape or form."

I assume they wouldn't mind being "like the SEC" when it comes to winning national titles, but he's right, the Big Ten is nothing like the SEC in that respect.

What a dope Bielema sounds like with such a stupid, self-righteous statement and his 64% graduation rate.
                                    Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by palinurus View Post

I assume they wouldn't mind being "like the SEC" when it comes to winning national titles, but he's right, the Big Ten is nothing like the SEC in that respect.

What a dope Bielema sounds like with such a stupid, self-righteous statement and his 64% graduation rate.
                                      This is the concept I want to see explored and talked about. Yeh Bielema is crying but his point is well taken. Classes, work load, what it takes to stay eligible, what these guys are told when they are recruited, the overall culture provided by the university to win football games with 85 guys on cumpus to entertain on Saturday. Places like Notre Dame are still college-Bielema brings up the point of will it trend to pro football like the SEC. If Notre Dame did this there would be widespread critisism amd panic. But when certain other people do it its 'hey we're operating within the rules'. This gentlemen is precisely whats wrong with college football. Their should be penalties for recruits being stolen and it should be on both the player and the school that is doing the thieving. If a kid gives his verbal then he should have to sit out a year if he does not follow thru. I dont understand why a kid would state his intentions then end up somewhere else-have a brain and wait till you know what the hell your doing. Yes and that includes Notre Dame when they get kids who change their mind. This whole thing is horse$%#@! It provides for a culture of dishonesty. See Alabama if you need a specific example. Meyer is just doing what he has been taught by the good ole SEC.
                                      Last edited by irishtrain; 02-03-2012, 01:17 AM.
                                      Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

Originally posted by palinurus View Post

I get what the guy was trying to say...and I agree Urbie is a slime ball of never ending proportions...

but Bielema should have specifically identified the behvior he thought Urbie engaged in that was Illegal...if you don't do that you look like a sore loser, I do agree with that....well, and a 64% graduation rate is not going to get john Q public on your side either.

...but Urbie is for sure going to turn the Big into a scummy, nasty snake pit for recruiting...I have no doubt.
                                        One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                          Do you think high school kids pay attention to this stuff? Or do they not care....?
                                          No. Look at how much attention recruits paid to OSU's and USC sanctions.

Comment

Originally posted by phgreek View Post
                                            I get what the guy was trying to say...and I agree Urbie is a slime ball of never ending proportions...

but Bielema should have specifically identified the behvior he thought Urbie engaged in that was Illegal...if you don't do that you look like a sore loser, I do agree with that....well, and a 64% graduation rate is not going to get john Q public on your side either.

...but Urbie is for sure going to turn the Big into a scummy, nasty snake pit for recruiting...I have no doubt.
                                            Agreed. You don't have to convince me that Urban is a shady character, and I hated Ohio State with all my might BEFORE Urban got there. But the Big Ten is engaged in self-delusion if it thinks, or its coaches think, they are somehow so much better (better morally and ethically, they mean; it's obvious they are not better football-wise) than the SEC and its coaches. In a way, Urbie's presence will shake that tiny little fig leaf from the Big Ten's even tinier "junk" of moral superiority.

Comment

How many big10 schools over sign, fire under performing or injured players, grey shirt, employ a recruits parent or girl friend, suddenly discover the coaching genius of a five star recruits high school coach and offer him a choice coaching job on the staff, consider all granted scholarships of the one year variety, replace players with one semester morons to use as backups when unexpected injuries occur, and have an organized farm system of jcs to stock the trenches?
                                              I think the big10 has a ways to go if they want to match the SEC (and a couple of other conferences I can think of)!

Comment

Interesting article on meyer on si.com. Here is a little piece about Decker.

"Besides Spence, Meyer's No. 1 target was 6-8 tackle Taylor Decker, a Vandalia, Ohio, native who had committed to Notre Dame. "He's a tall, angular tackle," said Meyer. "He's exactly what we wanted."

Decker's primary recruiter in South Bend had been running backs coach Tim Hinton. On Jan. 2, Meyer hired two Notre Dame assistants: Hinton and offensive line coach Ed Warriner.

"Taylor Decker recruited us," said Meyer. "He called me and said, 'I want to be a Buckeye.' Whoa, what are you talking about? ... Then his high school coach called us said, He wants to come to Ohio State."

Decker arrived Jan. 14 for a visit and committed the next day.

Then, a couple of days later, along came the linebacker reinforcements: David Perkins (South Bend, Ind.) and Camren Williams (West Roxbury, Mass.), the latter another Penn State defector. The staff's only (thin) connection to Williams was that the player's father, Brent, once played for the New England Patriots, as did Vrabel a decade later.

"That was a long process," said Meyer. "They came back twice to visit." When Meyer had to dismiss two reserve cornerbacks for disciplinary issues, he stepped up his pursuit of Williams' teammate, four-star cornerback Armani Reeves, who wound up choosing the Buckeyes over archrival Michigan."

Urban Meyer's 2012 Ohio State recruiting class Signing Day hit - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

Comment

Saw that. Were Decker and his coach lying when they said Meyer called and asked to talk to Decker and he said no thanks?

Comment

Urban Meyer responds to fellow coaches' criticism - CBSSports.com

understandable. true. douche-y.
                                                    Oh yeah, I ain't allowed to say "goddamn" no more.--D-Bob

Comment

Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                                                      Saw that. Were Decker and his coach lying when they said Meyer called and asked to talk to Decker and he said no thanks?
                                                      Seems like Urban is lying again, didn't they contact decker he said no thanks, and then hinton got hired and they tried again to contact him. He then decided to take a visit and then switched his pledge. I thought after Meyer originally got the job Decker reaffirmed his commitment with ND originally? I'm not positive on this time line of events but thats what I remember happening.
                                                      Last edited by SoDakDomer; 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UmphreakDomer View Post
                                                        "Of the ten players that committed to Ohio State after Meyer became head coach, eight had previously committed to other schools."

Holy $hit! And it's not like he was hired in January; he'd been at OSU since the end of November.

Comment

If you want the championships and all the fleas that go with it, you have to lie with the dogs.

Comment

You can't bitch about someone stealing your recruits. You can bitch about oversigning and cutting kids though.
                                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Quote:
                                                              Originally Posted by clashmore_mike
                                                              Seems like Urban is lying again, didn't they contact decker he said no thanks, and then hinton got hired and they tried again to contract him. He then decided to take a visit and then switched his pledge. I thought after Meyer originally got the job Decker reaffirmed his commitment with ND originally? I'm not positive on this time line of events but thats what I remember happening.
                                                              Who cares who was lying? Both were involved in (a) the lie, no matter what. Who wants a liar?

Comment

Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post
                                                                Who cares who was lying? Both were involved in (a) the lie, no matter what. Who wants a liar?
                                                                Agree...

I'm going to re-iterate what I've said about Urban before...He lies when the truth sounds better. There was zero reason to lie here...yet he did, and he draws kids into that behavior...telling ya...pure unadulterated Sociopath!

Comment

Why can't they just sign a letter of "possible" intent. Where when it is signed, no other school or coach can contact the recruit, unless the recruit reaches out to that school. The focus should be on the kids and not having much power due to the pressure of who to sign with. You like School A? Great sign here, no one else can contact you unless you initiate contact first. Oops didn't like that School A is recruiting 3 more players at your position? Hello School B, I would like to talk with you.

This process should be made for the kids, not for the schools or the coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                    Why can't they just sign a letter of "possible" intent. Where when it is signed, no other school or coach can contact the recruit, unless the recruit reaches out to that school. The focus should be on the kids and not having much power due to the pressure of who to sign with. You like School A? Great sign here, no one else can contact you unless you initiate contact first. Oops didn't like that School A is recruiting 3 more players at your position? Hello School B, I would like to talk with you.

Makes alot of sense to me....

Comment

No one really cares. The fact is this discussion was about Urban and if he was lying again. Sorry for the dialoge. If Decker doesn't want to be at ND his loss.

Comment

What I was trying to say is that you have most probably a kid who was lying, a coach that is always lying, in other words, a marriage made in heaven. Birds of a feather . . .

Comment

my only question--as i know poaching happens, the bigger problem is the over signing and beyond that, such a late signing day--didnt urban in his first presser at OSU say since he was coming in late, he wouldnt have anything to do with recruiting.
                                                                          again, who cares if he did, its his team, but why LIE about things that are so unimportant?

Comment

Au contraire, Urban and the bucks petitioned the NCAA for special permission to let him on the road while the other staff was coaching for the bowl game, and during quiet periods, etc, because someone had a boo-boo.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Ohio State's Meyer Defends Recruiting Practices | Fox News
                                                                              Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I can't believe I'm defending Urban Meyer here, but, by virtue of his accomplishments and reputation, and the timing of his hiring, he was sort of a game-changer when it comes to recruiting this year.

Whoever made the first phone call, was anyone really surprised that Decker flipped? Ohio kid. Wanted to play at OSU but never got an offer. Then Meyer comes along and hires his ND recruiters and tells the kid he wants him to be a Buckeye. A no-brainer.

Four of Meyer's eight "flips" came from Penn State. Well, I'd bet if their entire football program hadn't imploded in late November most of them wouldn't have left. Don't know enough about the kids he got from MSU and Wisconsin, but all's fair in recruiting, and programs that gun for BCS berths ought to know that. The eighth was Perkins, who didn't flip from Notre Dame so much as get dumped. OSU was easily his best offer, and he took it.

Is Urban Meyer a lying, dirty scoundrel? No doubt. He's also a more accomplished college football coach than anyone not named Stoops, Miles or Saban. And he's a hell of a recruiter. He won a bunch this year. But the Big Ten will adapt, and once it does you won't see eight flips in a month again any time soon.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Au contraire, Urban and the bucks petitioned the NCAA for special permission to let him on the road while the other staff was coaching for the bowl game, and during quiet periods, etc, because someone had a boo-boo.
                                                                                  ah, yes. correct sir. my bad.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    ah, yes. correct sir. my bad.
                                                                                    No it's not; you are also corect! He did say that in a very early pr; I just can't find it right now!

(Please don't call me sir, I may snap my head around too quickly, looking for my dad over my shoulder!)

stlnd01, is your arguement anything more that a justification for football to become any dirtier and anti-social than it already is? Check your argument carefully. I mean, if that is truly your perspective, why be an ND fan? One of the biggest reasons I love everything about Notre Dame so much is they are all about the high road; perfect, no, unwilling to stoop, just about!

Comment

• #43

stlnd01, is your arguement anything more that a justification for football to become any dirtier and anti-social than it already is? Check your argument carefully. I mean, if that is truly your perspective, why be an ND fan? One of the biggest reasons I love everything about Notre Dame so much is they are all about the high road; perfect, no, unwilling to stoop, just about!
                                                                                      I'm not saying Brian Kelly should be more like Urban Meyer. Not at all. And frankly I'm glad Meyer's not our coach, because I think it would put the university in a lot of compromising positions. For the same reason, I've never been on Team Saban.

But let's not act like we never go after committed players. I could name a whole bunch but doubt I'd need to. Lots of people around here take a certain pride in our current staff's persistence, and it has paid off.

And all this hand-wringing about Meyer and his eight flips? Well half of them you can hang on Jerry Sandusky. One was basically fixing a mistake by his predecessor (if Tressel would've offered Decker, he probably never commits to ND in the first place). Perkins was certainly fair game. Don't know enough about the other two to say.

And Meyer isn't some MAC coach who got promoted to head Purdue. Like him or not, he's one of the very elite in the game, taking over an elite program. Of course that's going to be attractive to kids. I'm not going to call him names for taking advantage of it.

Besides, this won't happen again. Meyer basically squeezed a full year of recruiting into three weeks, but from now on he'll be working these kids for a year-plus. My guess is he locks down Ohio like Mack Brown locks down Texas, books most of his class by August and fights for a few at the end. Meanwhile other Big Ten coaches will know to keep closer tabs on their commits, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Urban at it again

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS
                                                                                        MT @BHOOLZ Will Urban coach differently knowing OSU can't go to bowl? "I really don't know. I'm gonna do research." Says he will call USC

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS
                                                                                        Welcome to Coll. Football 2012: This week Lane defends Urban and now Urban says he's gonna call USC abt coaching thru bowl ban.
                                                                                        Last edited by zbikowski88; 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          If those two get together to talk about surviving a bowl ban, I hope they do it in a church so they will be struck by lightning upon their departure.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Sounds like a lot of envy on this board...

I hate Urban Crier as much as the next guy on here...but putting on your makeup and acting like a buncha b*tches because he "steals" recruits is absurd.

Grow some sacks, fellas. Welcome to college football recruiting. And nobody is complianing about Aaron Lynch?....crickets.......

Just my take on stuff like this...

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Get off your soapbox. ^

We all know about Lynch, Tuitt, etc...

Urban Liar is a slimeball and he'll get his
                                                                                              "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by phork View Post

This does make a lot of sense.
                                                                                                Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Report: Ohio State needs ethics office - College Football - Rivals.com

Report: Ohio State needs ethics office
                                                                                                  By JoANNE VIVIANO, Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—A report given to an Ohio State board of trustees committee Thursday recommends that the university hire a vice president to oversee a new office and new committee responsible for monitoring ethics and rules compliance across the university system.

The report by consultants is a response to the school’s football memorabilia scandal that led to the resignation of coach Jim Tressel, but its recommendations would apply to numerous departments including athletics. The trustees’ audit committee accepted the recommendations, and they head to the full board on Friday.

If approved, the next step would be implementing the recommendations during the next six to 12 months, said university Chief Financial Officer Geoff Chatas.

He said a university-wide ethics office would help provide consistency among the university’s department-level compliance teams that make sure various regulations are followed.

“We’re always trying to be better at Ohio State and trying to be best in class,” Chatas said.

The university would maintain its compliance offices for athletics, research, the medical center, financial aid, disability services and information security.

University-wide compliance offices are a growing trend across the country, said Ada Meloy, general counsel at the American Council on Education. She said they likely started at schools with hospitals and Medicaid regulations and then expanded as the number of regulations governing higher education in general mushroomed.

“With the many regulations and laws that cover institutions of higher education, it is a little too easy for something to fall between the cracks, and this kind of approach is one of the very highly regarded ways to try to avoid that,” she said.

The Ohio State review by the Menlo Park, Calif.-based Protiviti Inc. looked at rules compliance across the university, with an emphasis on athletics, research, student financial aid and the medical center.

Consultants reviewed policies at 23 other universities as well as certain companies while preparing the report. A few had centralized functions, Chatas said. He said the recommendations show that the Ohio State proposal would be one of the more complete efforts in balancing a central function with expertise in each area of the university.

The report also recommends the university ensure that employees are appropriately trained, develop a risk-assessment methodology and monitor risks. Key risks would be subject to consistent monitoring.

A code of ethics would be expanded university-wide and reviewed at least once every five years.

The review came in the wake of the scandal in which football players violated NCAA rules by selling game memorabilia for cash and tattoos. The revelation led to a lengthy NCAA investigation, several player suspensions, the forced resignation of 10-year coach Tressel and quarterback Terrelle Pryor giving up his senior year to jump to the NFL.

Chatas said the university didn’t try to determine if recommended policies would have prevented the infractions in the football program.

“We really were looking forward,” he said.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I think they need their own parole officer.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X