Chip Kelly to Tampa Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip Kelly to Tampa Bay?

There are rumors all over Twitter that ole Chip is about to finalize a deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This would seriously shake up the Pac-12 race next year.

Personally, I have a very hard time seeing Chip's offense transitioning to the pros.

Report: Oregon coach Chip Kelly close to deal with Bucs | ProFootballTalk

Comment

PFT also speculated about Kelly possibly landing with the Bucs or the Colts a few days ago. Would be a hell of a call on their part.

IMO, this would be one of the all-time worst hires, and not a very good career move for Chip, either. Maybe he is trying to skip town before the law rolls in, a la Pete Carroll. Either way, I give him about a 1% chance of being a good NFL coach. This is why some NFL organizations are perennial door mats. They make moves all the time that a somewhat knowledgeable outside observer can recognize as doomed. I feel bad for the fans of the Bucs and the Jags, especially.

Comment

That offense won't do very well in the pros. They are so good in college because they are faster than everyone. In the NFL everyone is fast.

Comment

I hope this is true. If nothing else, it improves our chances with Armstead vs. Oregon. Yeah- that's where my head's at.

Comment

If true, could get interesting if he lands RG3 in the draft!?!?

Comment

Duck rhymes with Buc.

I bet his frst order of business would be to change the uniform.

Comment

Why wouldn't he take an NFL job? Some idiot NFL owner, who just complained about the money they had to pay out, will hire him for 5 years and $15 million guaranteed. If it works out, great for him. If not, he will be a hot commodity to return to college with 15 million bucks in his pocket. I don't see this affecting his reputation any more than Spurrier's was with the Redskins and it has worked out OK for Spurrier.

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
                  Duck rhymes with Buc.

I bet his frst order of business would be to change the uniform.
                  To these....

Comment

I for years have tried to settle on which unis are better/worse... the cream-sickle ones, or the currents...
                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                      I for years have tried to settle on which unis are better/worse... the cream-sickle ones, or the currents...
                      The cream-sickle ones are classics in their own right. Super old school.

Comment

Originally posted by brewdog_14527 View Post
                        Why wouldn't he take an NFL job? Some idiot NFL owner, who just complained about the money they had to pay out, will hire him for 5 years and $15 million guaranteed. If it works out, great for him. If not, he will be a hot commodity to return to college with 15 million bucks in his pocket. I don't see this affecting his reputation any more than Spurrier's was with the Redskins and it has worked out OK for Spurrier.
                        Saban says hi.

Comment

Belloti back to Oregon? Then again he makes 500k in his pension.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                            Saban says hi.
                            I think you did this "X says hi" nonsense in response to a post that I made a few weeks ago. What was he supposed to do, name every coach who ever went back in forth in the history of football? Does Bobby Petrino say hi, too? What about Rick Pitino and John Calipari? Honestly, that "X says hi" thing is the most annoying running joke on this board, and that is saying something. Cut that **** out.

Comment

My thoughts... "Sh!T!!! Now if SC stays healthy the only team that can stop the is us... and that ain't happin... SONOFA--!!!"
                              Last edited by ACamp1900; 01-22-2012, 09:04 PM.
                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Here come the sanctions...
                                Once a fan, always a fan. Married a Buckeye fan. Help!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                  I think you did this "X says hi" nonsense in response to a post that I made a few weeks ago. What was he supposed to do, name every coach who ever went back in forth in the history of football? Does Bobby Petrino say hi, too? What about Rick Pitino and John Calipari? Honestly, that "X says hi" thing is the most annoying running joke on this board, and that is saying something. Cut that **** out.
                                  1 - That was not me

2 - Take a long walk and calm down

Comment

And then there's this... RT @ArreliousBenn: We got Chip Kelly!... Let's go #Buccaneers ..

Comment

(If true) This is one of the worst hires I've ever seen.

Comment

I'm not upset. If anything, my celebratory buzz is shining through. Sorry to call you out about that if it wasn't you, but you did do it this time and I really don't get why people keep saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                          (If true) This is one of the worst hires I've ever seen.
                                          Really, really horrible. Doomed to fail.

Comment

This has legs

Comment

RT @ArreliousBenn: Bad source people I was just asking if we did have Chip I don't think we do...sorry

/Rob Lowe'd

Comment

Reports have it leaning that way in the next 24-48 hrs as Chip interviewed with the Bucs last week.

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS 16m

RT @NFLSTROUD: Chip Kelly & the Bucs are proceeding down a path that they mutually hope will result in an agreement in next 24-48 hrs.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 21m

As NBC in Portland, Ore. reported, Chip Kelly and Bucs are involved in active contract discussions. Kelly interviewed with Bucs last week.

Does this help ND in anyway with remaining recruits not named Armstead?

Comment

I'm not upset. If anything, my celebratory buzz is shining through. Sorry to call you out about that if it wasn't you, but you did do it this time and I really don't get why people keep saying it.
                                                  No worries- we all make mistakes. I'm hoping to enjoy a celebratory buzz myself- Niners just need to hold on for 11 more minutes!

Comment

Don't think so at this point.

Comment

Really, really horrible. Doomed to fail.
                                                      People said the same thing, when U of O made a huge stretch, and hired an Offensive Coordinator from New Hampshire with a crazy offense, as their Head Coach.

People said the same thing, when the University of Florida stretched to hire a guy with a crazy offense whose previous experience was at Bowling Green and Utah.

In both cases, most people were skeptical that these crazy offenses could work, in a major D-IA conference. Kelly's a very sharp guy. I don't understand why people seem to think that he can only coach one offense, and would have to run that offense at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                                                        Reports have it leaning that way in the next 24-48 hrs as Chip interviewed with the Bucs last week.

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS 16m

RT @NFLSTROUD: Chip Kelly & the Bucs are proceeding down a path that they mutually hope will result in an agreement in next 24-48 hrs.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 21m

As NBC in Portland, Ore. reported, Chip Kelly and Bucs are involved in active contract discussions. Kelly interviewed with Bucs last week.

Does this help ND in anyway with remaining recruits not named Armstead?
                                                        You guys were after Byron Marshall no? he might be in play, I don't know about the situation behind his recruitment though.

Comment

Originally posted by me9rob View Post
                                                          You guys were after Byron Marshall no? he might be in play, I don't know about the situation behind his recruitment though.
                                                          I believe his recruitment cooled off due to academic reasons. Could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by kmoose View Post
                                                            People said the same thing, when U of O made a huge stretch, and hired an Offensive Coordinator from New Hampshire with a crazy offense, as their Head Coach.

People said the same thing, when the University of Florida stretched to hire a guy with a crazy offense whose previous experience was at Bowling Green and Utah.

In both cases, most people were skeptical that these crazy offenses could work, in a major D-IA conference. Kelly's a very sharp guy. I don't understand why people seem to think that he can only coach one offense, and would have to run that offense at the next level.
                                                            big difference between college football and the NFL. I think if Chip Kelly does head to the pros, he's gonna get a lot more pro style with his offense. He's said it himself that he'd change up his offense to his personnel

Comment

As a Buccaneer fan I REALLY hope this happens!

Comment

terrible move. oregon's offense is the definition of a college spread. don't expect him to have too much success there.
                                                                "im just letting you know. my squad gonna be great no matter what is being said." -Lou Nix III

Comment

I don't understand it for either side.
                                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

big difference between college football and the NFL. I think if Chip Kelly does head to the pros, he's gonna get a lot more pro style with his offense. He's said it himself that he'd change up his offense to his personnel
                                                                    And there's a big difference between the Atlantic 10 (D-IAA New Hampshire was in the Atlantic 10 when Kelly was there, but has since moved to the Colonial Athletic Conference) and the PAC-10. He made that transition rather well. It's no guarantee that he could make the transition to the NFL, but I would submit that past history favors him being at least moderately successful, as opposed to being a huge mistake.

Comment

This is the opposite of a Jim Harbaugh type hire IMO. Maybe it will work, maybe it will not. Good luck to Chip either way.

Comment

Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                        I don't understand it for either side.
                                                                        The references to potential sanctions could explain one side of this. A desperate organization could explain the other.

Comment

Bruce Feldman @BFeldmanCBS 1m

He'd be good IF they could get him. A great defensive mind. RT @AdamJude_RG: We're alsohearing Ducks will target TCU's Gary Patterson.

Comment

Leaving for the NFL is more admirable than faking a health issue.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              He shoots,... He scores

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Faking an health issue? Were u at the hospital that Urban Meyer was at? Im just saying u should not make comments like that if u dont know whats up. Ok back to Chip

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Not if it's Carroll style.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by kmoose View Post
                                                                                    And there's a big difference between the Atlantic 10 (D-IAA New Hampshire was in the Atlantic 10 when Kelly was there, but has since moved to the Colonial Athletic Conference) and the PAC-10. He made that transition rather well. It's no guarantee that he could make the transition to the NFL, but I would submit that past history favors him being at least moderately successful, as opposed to being a huge mistake.
                                                                                    I disagree. In college, especially when it comes down to lower division football, you go up against less talented players, but you also HAVE less talented players. The field is mostly even. His offense worked at a lower level and when he moved, it worked again, but because he also got better athletes to work with. It's not like he made his offense work against D1 talent while only having D 2 talent himself. The change between college football conferences and/or divisions is marginal compared to the change between amateur athletics and professional football.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Damion704 View Post
                                                                                      Faking an health issue? Were u at the hospital that Urban Meyer was at? Im just saying u should not make comments like that if u dont know whats up. Ok back to Chip
                                                                                      Oh wow! You think Urban Meyer faked it? That hadn't crossed my mind.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Chip Kelly has been a defensive coach as well as an offensive coach, so he has plenty of experience. He didn't always run the offense he runs now, he adjusted his offense because he saw the way the college game was opening up and where it was headed. I think this shows that he is a innovative and willing to do what it takes to win football games. He could be a good hire. He may not be. It's too early to tell, but I think he'll have to change his offense up for the pros. By the way, nobody knows that he's bringing the Oregon offense with him to Tampa

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I disagree. In college, especially when it comes down to lower division football, you go up against less talented players, but you also HAVE less talented players. The field is mostly even. His offense worked at a lower level and when he moved, it worked again, but because he also got better athletes to work with. It's not like he made his offense work against D1 talent while only having D 2 talent himself. The change between college football conferences and/or divisions is marginal compared to the change between amateur athletics and professional football.
                                                                                          Again............ you're making the giant leap that Kelly can only run one type of offense, and will have to try to make it work in the NFL.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Bad move for TB if true. But perhaps he is doing the Sneaky Pete Carrol and bolting before the heat comes down. If Kelly takes the job, look for NCAA probes in the next 6-12 months.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              RT @footballscoop: Tampa / Oregon: We have confirmed Chip Kelly has accepted the head job at Tampa.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                W.O.W.

Hopefully Oregon can get a coach to replace him soon so USC can get their woopin.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                                  W.O.W.

Hopefully Oregon can get a coach to replace him soon so USC can get their woopin.
                                                                                                  Maybe Rich Brooks is available?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                                                    Bad move for TB if true. But perhaps he is doing the Sneaky Pete Carrol and bolting before the heat comes down. If Kelly takes the job, look for NCAA probes in the next 6-12 months.
                                                                                                    called this one long ago after the incident with LaMichael James and the Texas "scout." where theres smoke....
                                                                                                    "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X