No announcement yet.

USC recruiting and everything else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always like to check out USC forums as they melt down every year. Sad to see that wearesc is now a paid forum. If people don't even go to the games, how are people paying to talk about the team?!

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
      I always like to check out USC forums as they melt down every year. Sad to see that wearesc is now a paid forum. If people don't even go to the games, how are people paying to talk about the team?!
      They joined the On3 network this summer, which is a shame as it was always the best independent USC site. Sadly, the founder, Garry Paskwietz, passed in 2019 and others have taken it in a new, downhill direction... including bringing in Scott Schrader. Enough said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johannes View Post

They joined the On3 network this summer, which is a shame as it was always the best independent USC site. Sadly, the founder, Garry Paskwietz, passed in 2019 and others have taken it in a new, downhill direction... including bringing in Scott Schrader. Enough said.
        Just following the path of the FB team.

Comment

• Just had a meeting with a USC dude - borderline depressed over the state of affairs. Canceled his flight to Chicago next week. It was glorious.

https://giphy.com/clips/southpark-se...G15YX2eDMz3xEl

Comment

• Jaxson Dart practiced today barely 3 weeks after meniscus surgery. Will play "soon". Was spectacular in the game that Slovis got hurt in, most yards ever for an SC QB in his first game. Some thing to watch, he has much better escapebility than Slovis.

Comment

It really was. Shame you can't watch the meltdown now...

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                Just had a meeting with a USC dude - borderline depressed over the state of affairs. Canceled his flight to Chicago next week. It was glorious.

https://giphy.com/clips/southpark-se...G15YX2eDMz3xEl
                I hope we boat race them, extend the winning streak and watch them drop further into oblivion.

Comment

Something similar could have easily happened to IE. You hate to see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

If that ever happens, I would hope IE members would get auto memberships for life

Comment

Something similar couldhave easily happened to IE. You hate to see it.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

So what you're saying is you're looking at opportunities to fatten your bank account?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

So what you're saying is you're looking at opportunities to fatten your bank account?
                          More like we wanted to make sure it always stayed free.
                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

Are you telling me that providing a free message board isn't the cashcow I always assumed it was?

No but seriously you guys are great for stepping up and grabbing the ownership. I always feared before that occurred that one day the board would just end and all my contacts here would be lost to the wind.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

Oh I know. Just yanking on Whiskey’s leg. I appreciate what you guys did as much as ani.

Comment

• FUSC
                                Our Lady Queen of Victory. #Bring back THE KOON!!!

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Dunno if anyone saw this, but Drake London is missing the rest of the season with a broken ankle. Have to wonder if that'll affect his draft stock.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...n-ankle-injury

Comment

• My USC alum friend asked who ND fans would fear more, Matt Campbell or Dave Aranda. I figured it'd be nearly unanimous after this year that it's Aranda.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                        My USC alum friend asked who ND fans would fear more, Matt Campbell or Dave Aranda. I figured it'd be nearly unanimous after this year that it's Aranda.

You know, I'm not sure. Campbell has the better overall track record, Aranda has the better upside. I don't want either of them there. I'm absolutely convinced that Campbell's "floor" is a USC that wins the PAC12 50% of the time.

Comment

• Definitely Aranda. I think both are good coaches, but I don't know if Campbell is a great fit in LA. He's a midwest guy like Fickell.

Aranda however, is about as great a fit as you can find. He's a SoCal guy, defensive-minded and emphasizes being strong up front.
                                          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Of all the people being talked about, Matt Campbell would be my pick to get the job.

I heard yesterday that Peterson has been contacted. He could put the Udub staff back together in a snap minus cancer-boy Lake keeping Williams on staff in Lake's old position.

I will hate life if that happens. Would much rather they all replace Herm when ASU implodes.

Comment

• I can see Campbell in Florida more than Cali. He's created pretty good relationships down there recruiting over the years at Toledo and ISU
                                              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                My USC alum friend asked who ND fans would fear more, Matt Campbell or Dave Aranda. I figured it'd be nearly unanimous after this year that it's Aranda.

Aranda. I like Campbell but I’m wondering if he realized he’s at his destination right now. His comment about ISU winning their division NOT being a goal gave a lot of folks pause. He can say that at ISU b/c he’s built up that equity and they know he’s elevated them well above their historic mean. Those comments (sincere as he may have been) would have negative consequences if he were at a Factory.

Maybe he becomes the next Frank Beamer or Bill Snyder and is content with that?

Comment

• I don't see Campbell doing well at a place with expectations after his interview last week. I think he's a guy who likes to feel comfortable, and there's no better place to be than Ames, Iowa. That's not a knock, that's an acknowledgement that they may have the best win or lose fan base in the country (at least Power 5). Give them a handful of sprinkles every now and then, and they'll love you forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
                                                    I don't see Campbell doing well at a place with expectations after his interview last week. I think he's a guy who likes to feel comfortable, and there's no better place to be than Ames, Iowa. That's not a knock, that's an acknowledgement that they may have the best win or lose fan base in the country (at least Power 5). Give them a handful of sprinkles every now and then, and they'll love you forever.
                                                    if this is truly how he feels vatech might be a better fit than LSU/Florida. bigger stage, better recruiting base but still not the big big dogs in conference. Likely better shots at conference championship in ACC for him at vatech vs ISU in BIG12. Although who knows with OU and Texas leaving.
                                                    Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

You know, I'm not sure. Campbell has the better overall track record, Aranda has the better upside. I don't want either of them there. I'm absolutely convinced that Campbell's "floor" is a USC that wins the PAC12 50% of the time.
                                                      Idk based on his comment the other day ahead of the OU game, "Coach Campbell's goal isn't to win conference championships. Coach Campbell never said that."

Idk what's worse, him using his name in the third person or that he doesn't set the goal of winning the conference. He underperformed this year and he knows it, they were a lock to contend, finally got preseason accolades but now that everyone took them seriously they fell flat.

He's a solid coach but I'd take Aranda personally.

EDIT: Just saw Irishize basically said the same thing haha. My B.
                                                      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

Yeah I'm not so sure either... I'll def agree with the bolded
                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Do you remember in early 2016 when Tom Herman was the next "can't miss" hire because he was winning at Houston? He barely made it four years at Texas. I could easily see Aranda's career having a similar trajectory.

Lots of guys can do Xs and Os and kiss teenage ass on the recruiting trail, but very few can build and maintain a healthy culture. That's why it's so hard to win at dysfunctional blue bloods like UT and USC. Odds are good that whoever they get is gonna fail.

Comment

Do you remember in early 2016 when Tom Herman was the next "can't miss" hire because he was winning at Houston? He barely made it four years at Texas. I could easily see Aranda's career having a similar trajectory.

Lots of guys can do Xs and Os and kiss teenage ass on the recruiting trail, but very few can build and maintain a healthy culture. That's why it's so hard to win at dysfunctional blue bloods like UT and USC. Odds are good that whoever they get is gonna fail.

One thing that I think might separate Aranda is that he has a real awareness about him that many coaches lack. I've followed Baylor a bit because their QB played locally, and I thought this article from last summer was pretty insightful.

https://www.texasfootball.com/articl...le_preview_img

From the article, "Aranda coached in the Big Ten and SEC before arriving at Baylor, and found that each conference has its own personality. The Big Ten was filled with bulky developmental gap-fillers. The SEC was built around plug-and-play defensive linemen who needed the game simplified to play as freshmen.

In the Big 12, on the other hand, players tend to sacrifice developmental bulk in exchange for quickness. Defensive linemen play more in the 270-pound range than past 300, which creates opportunities for stunts and twists to create havoc against inside zone and man blocking schemes. "

The whole point was he saw he needed to go a different direction with the offense tailored to what would make his program successful as opposed to sticking with what he saw win at LSU and bingo bango turnaround time. Can he replicate this at a blue blood? I don't know but I'd be more inclined to give him a chance than many one year wonder types because of that experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armyirish47 View Post
                                                              The whole point was he saw he needed to go a different direction with the offense tailored to what would make his program successful as opposed to sticking with what he saw win at LSU and bingo bango turnaround time. Can he replicate this at a blue blood? I don't know but I'd be more inclined to give him a chance than many one year wonder types because of that experience.
                                                              Props to him for that insight, but that's still Xs and Os stuff. And to be clear, I like Aranda and wish him well. I just haven't seen any indication that he, Napier, Campbell or any of the other hot names have that rare culture-building ability that's gonna be necessary to get a place like USC back on track.

Point being, I don't think it makes sense to fear any of these guys moving to USC. They're much more likely to fail than to bring back Carroll's glory days.

Comment

Do you remember in early 2016 when Tom Herman was the next "can't miss" hire because he was winning at Houston? He barely made it four years at Texas. I could easily see Aranda's career having a similar trajectory.

Can I be honest??? Texas, unless you are Mack Brown, for whatever reason sure seems like a much harder place to win than it should be...... even still I feel Herman was given the boot prematurely there. I still think Herman can be a great cfb coach. There, I said it.
                                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Props to him for that insight, but that's still Xs and Os stuff. And to be clear, I like Aranda and wish him well. I just haven't seen any indication that he, Napier, Campbell or any of the other hot names have that rare culture-building ability that's gonna be necessary to get a place like USC back on track.

Point being, I don't think it makes sense to fear any of these guys moving to USC. They're much more likely to fail than to bring back Carroll's glory days.

I'm with you, we've seen so many high profile flameouts short of Saban or Meyer it's hard for me to get worked up about any of them. I like that Aranda doesn't appear to be a decided schematic advantage guy or whatever, but who the heck knows what it takes anymore considering the dumpster fires all over the place. But not Notre Dame baby!

Comment

Amazing what can happen to a program when the administration stops turning a blind eye to the money payouts and the PED's being dispensed in the locker room.
                                                                    Last edited by Irish#1; 11-23-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Herman was only at UH for two years, so maybe Texas was too much too soon, but he went 32-18 and was fired at 7-3. He and Aranda, despite being roommates in college, are from different backgrounds and different coaching trees. They're two totally different people. Tom Herman was given 50 games at Texas to try and repair the broken program Mack Brown left behind that Charlie Strong wasn't given enough time to fix prior to Herman.

Baylor looks a lot like Aranda's defenses over the years: they're tough, disciplined, organized. He has good assistant coaches in the room with him right now.

I think Aranda is way more grounded than Herman in terms of personality. Two different guys on and off the field in terms of their families (Herman has the trophy wife with the big fake cans who is on social media), approach and now they run a program. As an ND fan I think Aranda has a better chance at succeeding at SC than a lot of other candidates and I'd rather see him go elsewhere or stay at Baylor.
                                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Sounding like it’s Campbell. Don’t know how I feel about that one. No doubt should get better culture, player development going but I think the big question would be his recruiting ability for the OL and D.

Comment

• Are they gonna be patient enough? I think Campbell can turn it around but it won't be quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                            Sounding like it’s Campbell. Don’t know how I feel about that one. No doubt should get better culture, player development going but I think the big question would be his recruiting ability for the OL and D.
                                                                            If the Lincoln Riley to LSU rumours are true, I would think Oklahoma is a much better fit for Campbell than USC. Unless Stoops comes back, Oklahoma had better do something big and there arent many options out there.

Comment

Sounding like it’s Campbell. Don’t know how I feel about that one. No doubt should get better culture, player development going but I think the big question would be his recruiting ability for the OL and D.
                                                                              I think that would be a good move for both. He is a low key coach that’s probably gonna run a clean program. The school does ok recruiting for itself but the product on the field is just not cutting it. I think he would bring back good fundamentals and that’ll lead to better on field production. He gets a few good recruiting coaches and I think he will be ok. But if I recall that have some roster problems as I’m not getting to 85 and the school is gonna need to be potent so he can get that back up.

I have no clue how good of a recruiting head coach he is.
                                                                              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• I like Campbell but really? He sure doesn't have any winning momentum heading into a bigger time job. This is a head scratcher.

Comment

• I understand the thought process on USC pursuing Campbell to fix the team culture.

I'm just kind of skeptical that the Champions of Togetherness message is going to work with the Hollywood sales pitch.

Another interesting aspect of hiring Campbell is that Iowa State is likely (IMO) to offer the head job to Heacock. So moving jobs will likely cost Campbell his best assistant who's been with him since Toledo.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoredIrish View Post

If the Lincoln Riley to LSU rumours are true, I would think Oklahoma is a much better fit for Campbell than USC. Unless Stoops comes back, Oklahoma had better do something big and there arent many options out there.
                                                                                    I don’t think OU would want Campbell. They need a recruiter entering the SEC. Current OC Simmons will get consideration given the pool will not be pretty if Lincoln does leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                                                                                      I like Campbell but really? He sure doesn't have any winning momentum heading into a bigger time job. This is a head scratcher.
                                                                                      Expecting more than 7-5 out of Iowa St is kind of a sign of what Campbell has done

Comment

• Yeah Campbell at USC is no bueno for me. Campbell doesn't need to recruit for USC, he just needs to win more consistently. Unfortunately, he's pretty good at winning more consistently.

Comment

I don’t think OU would want Campbell. They need a recruiter entering the SEC. Current OC Simmons will get consideration given the pool will not be pretty if Lincoln does leave.
                                                                                          Also, it's hard for me to see Oklahoma letting Riley get away from them if they think he is the key to success rather than a very important cog in Oklahoma's machine. And if that's the case they're probably comfortable promoting from within.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                                            Yeah Campbell at USC is no bueno for me. Campbell doesn't need to recruit for USC, he just needs to win more consistently. Unfortunately, he's pretty good at winning more consistently.
                                                                                            Would you be excited if Campbell was announced as Kelly's successor? I wouldn't. He seems much more like Snyder to me than a Saban or Swinney--a good coach who figured out how to consistently exceed expectations at a perennial loser. But how much of that skillset is going to transfer to USC?

Fixing a dysfunctional blue-blood like USC or Texas is a massive undertaking that few are equipped to handle. I just can't bring myself to fear a Campbell-led Trojan squad.

Comment

Would you be excited if Campbell was announced as Kelly's successor? I wouldn't. He seems much more like Snyder to me than a Saban or Swinney--a good coach who figured out how to consistently exceed expectations at a perennial loser. But how much of that skillset is going to transfer to USC?

Fixing a dysfunctional blue-blood like USC or Texas is a massive undertaking that few are equipped to handle. I just can't bring myself to fear a Campbell-led Trojan squad.
                                                                                              No, but that largely comes down to the differences between the ND job and the USC job. Campbell is certainly not a slam dunk hire. I'd much rather it be him than Licoln Riley or Dave Aranda, but USC needs a good culture fix and Campbell could be that guy.

Comment

• Comment

Expecting more than 7-5 out of Iowa St is kind of a sign of what Campbell has done
                                                                                                  This^

Although ISU didn’t meet expectations this season w/ their star QB, RB & TE returning, everything Campbell has done has exceeded ISU expectations. I don’t know about his overall recruiting acumen but he & his staff did a nice job of luring Brock Purdy to Ames from Arizona.

One built-in advantage that Campbell would have is being on the West Coast. Their recruiting would take an immediate uptick w/ just the promise of his hiring being a program turnaround. I would guess most of these kids don’t want to travel across two/three time zones to play college football.

Comment

• If USC hires Campbell is that enough for Williams to flip from ND? That's all I care about the HC impact that it has on CJ Williams. Other than that USC is down and as long as they are down as a program they can keep being kicked.

Comment

• Campbell is going to be good there if they give him the time. And I hope he wins every game, except for the ones against ND. We need a good USC. I’m dying for some top ten matchups with them.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X