USC recruiting and everything else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC recruiting and everything else

They just lost two recruits tonight. Mickens and York. Those guys were locks for USC so wondering who they are getting. They also said they stopped recruiting Derrick Woods so he committed to Oklahoma. Seems like they are going to get even better recruits the way they are completely stopping recruiting. I personally saw Mickens and he is a perfect fit for Oregon, just undersized. Or is it that Barkley and Kalil are staying. Please say it is no to both of the above.
    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM.

I think it's higher rated prospects they think they can get like Armstead, Ellis McCarthy, etc

Comment

They didn't lose them. They cut them.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
        Exactly, making room for others.

Case in point, they are headed to
        visit Nelson today.

Comment

I hope Kiffin gets diarrhea during the visit so he has to leave unexpectedly and maybe shart his pants in the living room. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by aubeirish View Post
            I hope Kiffin gets diarrhea during the visit so he has to leave unexpectedly and maybe shart his pants in the living room. Just saying.
            Bottom line here is...I agree

Comment

How do they get away with just cutting kids like that?

Comment

Originally posted by magogian View Post
                They don't give a sh!t about their players, and the NCAA lets them do it.

This is a great example of why the NCAA needs to move to 4-year scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by magogian View Post
                  This is SOP in the SEC. Kids are "trying out" each year. Part of the reason SEC will have 6 consecutive NC's.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                    Exactly.

Mickens has been rumored to be a decommit since last spring - and it seemed like it was mutual even back then. USC just has too many WR commits (thus the parting of ways with Payton and now Mickens), so this was no surprise whatsoever. They'd much rather have Agholar than Mickens, and their roster is stacked at WR anyways.

As for York, he tore his ACL earlier this year. His surgery is schedule for later this month. With him being an EE, USC felt that they just couldn't risk the wait to see if his knee would be strong enough to bounce back to full strength. So without announcing it to the world, they basically told York 'thanks, but no thanks'. So it comes out that York decommitted, but in all reality, as Lax said, he was cut...
                    sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Kalil is apparently returning

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...82485/33752962

Fack. Easily a Top 10 pick. If true this could really impact Barkley.

Comment

USC is going to win it all next year. F*CK.

Comment

Originally posted by Title2014 View Post
                          USC is going to win it all next year. F*CK.
                          Not without Barkley...

Comment

Many people are saying that the Kalil story is false and that he is set to leave for the NFL. He could return but doubtful.
                            Last edited by Carlyle Javar Holiday; 12-08-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enrico514 View Post
                              Not without Barkley...
                              Barkley will come back too.

Comment

Originally posted by Title2014 View Post
                                Barkley will come back too.
                                I don't know. He is projected very high.

Comment

Barkley is 50/50. He is the kind of kid that would come back, any other person you would say "he gone". I would not be shocked if he stayed or went.

Comment

Like it was said earlier the Kalil staying is just a rumor.

LevOnUSC Michael Lev
                                    RT @whitneykblaine Matt Kalil told me the report that he's staying at USC is just a rumor & that he has yet to make an announcement.

Comment

USC pulled there offer from 4 RB Kelvin York after he had a knee injury late in the season.

Comment

And they pulled the one to Mickens because they think they can get Agholor after visiting him. And they will continue to push for Greenberry.

Sliiiiiiiiiiiime.

Comment

Originally posted by aubeirish View Post
                                          I don't know. He is projected very high.
                                          Hard to see him having better stats next year!

Would rather see Luck back than Barkley!

Comment

Yeah, USC is very dangerous if Barkley returns. Just look at this list of Freshman All Americans CBS put up. They pretty much dominated that list.

CBSSports.com 2011 Freshman All-America team - CBSSports.com

Comment

matt kalil going pro according to Chris Mortenson. :)

Comment

Hate it for 'em

Comment

Right choice by Kalil. Top 3 pick.

Comment

F*CK I hate USC

Comment

Kalil leaving is a blessing in disguise. With him leaving early, they probably get either Murphy, Peat, or Banner. Maybe even two or the three.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlyle Javar Holiday View Post
                                                        Yeah, USC is very dangerous if Barkley returns. Just look at this list of Freshman All Americans CBS put up. They pretty much dominated that list.

CBSSports.com 2011 Freshman All-America team - CBSSports.com
                                                        Harvard had a kid (OL) on that team. Harvard!

Comment

Kalil leaving is a blessing in disguise. With him leaving early, they probably get either Murphy, Peat, or Banner. Maybe even two or the three.
                                                          Nah, I'd rather them lose an AA and a top 5 pick who completely dominated us than gain a potentially very good player. Because not only is Kalil a star, he's also Matt Barkley's blind-side protector, and this just cracks that door open even more for Barkley to go pro (which I've said since April that he's going pro IMO). And yes my friend, this leaves a GAPING hole on the left side, making it quite possible that a freshman or a scrub will be manning that all-important position next year.

Murphy is going to Stanford hopefully (personally not that high on him, but what do I know)- I can see them getting Peat or Banner, but as long as they have sanctions, they can't load up at any positions anyway.

So this is good news all the way around in my eyes.

Comment

I agree with LA. Yes they might get another recruit, but losing an All-American, Consensus Top-5 pick is alot more of a relief than getting a top OL recruit.

When it comes to OL recruits they are probably the most unpredicatable when speaking of development.

Hopefully Kalil paves the way for Barkley, since he knows he is losing a top pass-protector.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishNJ89 View Post
                                                              I agree with LA. Yes they might get another recruit, but losing an All-American, Consensus Top-5 pick is alot more of a relief than getting a top OL recruit.

When it comes to OL recruits they are probably the most unpredicatable when speaking of development.

Hopefully Kalil paves the way for Barkley, since he knows he is losing a top pass-protector.
                                                              Agreed, what happens on this field, most notably the next time we play them is far more significant than a recruiting coup that may or may not ay dividends down the road. This is like saying its good for the Cardinals that they lost Pujols because now they have a chance to bring up that kid who is tearing it up in class A ball.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                Nah, I'd rather them lose an AA and a top 5 pick who completely dominated us than gain a potentially very good player. Because not only is Kalil a star, he's also Matt Barkley's blind-side protector, and this just cracks that door open even more for Barkley to go pro (which I've said since April that he's going pro IMO). And yes my friend, this leaves a GAPING hole on the left side, making it quite possible that a freshman or a scrub will be manning that all-important position next year.

Murphy is going to Stanford hopefully (personally not that high on him, but what do I know)- I can see them getting Peat or Banner, but as long as they have sanctions, they can't load up at any positions anyway.

So this is good news all the way around in my eyes.
                                                                Short term yes. Long term though it actually makes them better when the sanctions really are going to affect them. Kalil staying they would be great next year but cmon, they would lose on what is considered an OL driven class. With an open spot this year they can capitalize on that. While I agree that it does have its benefits for him leaving, but I think him leaving early could actually help them on later when the numbers can potentially get low. I think Murphy and Peat are both stars and the Tuerk kid is a monster. I saw him play against top level competition (Murphy in the San Clemente/Rancho Santa Margarita CIF game) and he is just as good if not better because of his motor. I guess what I am eluding to is that I would rather see them perish down the road more than just a bit in the near future.

Comment

Short term yes. Long term though it actually makes them better when the sanctions really are going to affect them. Kalil staying they would be great next year but cmon, they would lose on what is considered an OL driven class. With an open spot this year they can capitalize on that. While I agree that it does have its benefits for him leaving, but I think him leaving early could actually help them on later when the numbers can potentially get low. I think Murphy and Peat are both stars and the Tuerk kid is a monster. I saw him play against top level competition (Murphy in the San Clemente/Rancho Santa Margarita CIF game) and he is just as good if not better because of his motor. I guess what I am eluding to is that I would rather see them perish down the road more than just a bit in the near future.
                                                                  While I agree about seeing them suffer down the road, the ultimate recruiting tool is winning football games. If losing Kalil (and maybe Barkley as a result) helps them lose an extra game that they wouldn't with him then it's better that he leaves. As some others noted, Kalil is a top-5 pick. These other O-line recruits certainly seem talented, but you never know. Sam Young was supposed to be amazing...(I realize he started 4 years but still)

Comment

Nick Perry going pro per USC 247 site.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                                                      Nick Perry going pro per USC 247 site.
                                                                      We landed on the moon!

Just kidding Golden. But this news came out last week.

2 down, 2 more to go with TJ and Barkley...

Comment

Has there been anything leaked (subscription wise) about Barkley's thought process? I can't find much with the ol' google search besides multiple outlets saying he should go pro.

Comment

Rumors swirling that both Armsteads are not going to be at USC next year.

Comment

We're waiting, NDinLA.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
                                                                              Has there been anything leaked (subscription wise) about Barkley's thought process? I can't find much with the ol' google search besides multiple outlets saying he should go pro.
                                                                              I have a student of mine whose mom works under Pat Haden at USC. We've become good friends w/ her family - last night we dropped off our dog at their house cause they're going to watch him for 2 weeks while we go to South Bend (leaving in a few hours).

Anyway, we talked last night and she said no one knows what Barkley's going to do, Pat Haden included. She did say that Pat Haden talks to Barkley almost every day about the benefits of staying at USC. Kiffin has also been in his ear about staying - don't believe the b.s. that will come out that says Lane supported him going pro. Lane wants him to stay (obviously - and I don't blame him one bit). There is A LOT of internal pressure at USC for him to stay for one more year, from students to faculty to the football staff. And right now, everyone is in the dark.

Also was told that Perry told everyone he was going pro after LAST YEAR, and that Kalil leaving was no surprise but could hurt their chances at keeping Barkley (blind side and everything).

What many are saying within Heritage Hall is why didn't Lane let Scroggins play at all? He had quite a few games where he could have given him some reps, especially the UCLA game (50-0), but Lane kept Barkley in the entire time. Now they have no idea what they have behind Barkley should he leave, and how that QB will respond with the lights on.

That's all I have...

We're waiting, NDinLA.
                                                                              Old news my man. They've been gone for months.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                                I have a student of mine whose mom works under Pat Haden at USC. We've become good friends w/ her family - last night we dropped off our dog at their house cause they're going to watch him for 2 weeks while we go to South Bend (leaving in a few hours).

Anyway, we talked last night and she said no one knows what Barkley's going to do, Pat Haden included. She did say that Pat Haden talks to Barkley almost every day about the benefits of staying at USC. Kiffin has also been in his ear about staying - don't believe the b.s. that will come out that says Lane supported him going pro. Lane wants him to stay (obviously - and I don't blame him one bit). There is A LOT of internal pressure at USC for him to stay for one more year, from students to faculty to the football staff. And right now, everyone is in the dark.

Also was told that Perry told everyone he was going pro after LAST YEAR, and that Kalil leaving was no surprise but could hurt their chances at keeping Barkley (blind side and everything).

What many are saying within Heritage Hall is why didn't Lane let Scroggins play at all? He had quite a few games where he could have given him some reps, especially the UCLA game (50-0), but Lane kept Barkley in the entire time. Now they have no idea what they have behind Barkley should he leave, and how that QB will respond with the lights on.

That's all I have...
                                                                                More than I knew before.. thanks man.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  If we lose Tee or Greenberry to USC I will lose my ****ing mind.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by mr7183 View Post
                                                                                    If we lose Tee or Greenberry to USC I will lose my ****ing mind.
                                                                                    That saga has ended.. Not sure if you're serious or not. They are 100% Irish.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      hmmm

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
                                                                                        That saga has ended.. Not sure if you're serious or not. They are 100% Irish.
                                                                                        I know Tee is solid, but I have a feeling Kiffin is gonna be after Greeny hard until the papers are signed.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I doubt he flips him. Kiffin wants him to play in defense.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            USC took 2 JUCO kids today as EE to further try to get around sanctions. Still waiting to see who they actually have to cut or if natural attrition + bad recruiting class will win out. Right now it appears like they're going to have to cut ~5 kids through something.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Look for Brice Butler to transfer. He is not going to play and has already graduated. He took a trip to Kansas to meet Weis already. Perry, Butler, Kalil, Armstead, Baxter, Ambles are all gone which opens up spots. I bet they end up with 13-15 recruits somehow.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                I truly think Barkley is going to wait and see what team he is likely to go to and then make his decision. Not a lot of desirable locations in the top 5 of the draft right now... but (hypothetically) someone like the Redskins or Dolphins picking #7 or #8 could be a very good destination.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  TJ McDonald not leaving. Per USCAthlettics twitter. Damn it!!!

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    barkley to make a decision today 1pm pacific time at heritage hall...some are saying this is a good thing for USC that could mean he is staying having it there
                                                                                                    Last edited by PANDFAN; 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM.
                                                                                                    EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X