2021-2022 College Football Playoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021-2022 College Football Playoff

Well since we won’t be there might as well discuss who will be.

It’ll be tough to keep Oregon (losing as we speak) or UC out but it’ll be interesting to see them try. Especially with the way the ACC is.

Contenders:

SEC Champ
    1 loss Bama, UF or Georgia
    Big Ten Champ
    Undefeated Cincinnati
    Big 12 champ, likely needing to be undefeated OU

OUT:
    Pac-12 with Oregon losing
    ACC
    ND

My Sep 2nd prediction is:

Alabama
    Georgia
    Cincinnati
    PSU/OSU

but I still somehow feel like a justification for a 1 loss OU will somehow sneak in.
    Last edited by Dale; 10-02-2021, 06:48 PM.

Georgia is legit this year. Let them win it this time.

Comment

Would be nice to see Cincy get out in only to get mauled by Bama or Georgia. Unfortunately they will lose to someone before that gets to happen

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
        Georgia is legit this year. Let them win it this time.
        What? No way! I'd rather Bama.
        A Bama championship is a nothing.

Comment

Oregon may be playing themselves out of the playoff. Stanford just took them into overtime.
          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Well bye Pac-12 too. Wow haha

Comment

One option that would have the G5/UC heartthrobs up in arms…….

A 11-1 Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post

A 11-1 Texas.
                Haha

Comment

Undefeated BYU in the conversation?

Comment

I would be absolutely petrified if we had to play Georgia
                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Originally posted by MTLIrish View Post
                      Would be nice to see Cincy get out in only to get mauled by Bama or Georgia. Unfortunately they will lose to someone before that gets to happen
                      I don't know who's going to beat them left on their schedule
                      Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

A 11-1 Texas.
                        Thought they would pull it out and then have a devastating Texas type loss in a few weeks. Managed to squeeze it into the noon slate

Comment

Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post
                          Undefeated BYU in the conversation?
                          Probably should be if ASU were to win out or only drop one more game. ND name recognition > ASU being 11-1 though in terms of UC vs BYU

Comment

Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                            That D is for real. 99% chance we face them at least once (and maybe twice) before this season's over. Not nearly as confident about how that'll go as I'd like to be.
                            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                              They are just loaded from a talent standpoint. Almost 25% of their team are 5* recruits. At a certain point even Kirby can’t fuck it up.
                              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

One week later contenders are IMO….

SEC Champ
                                1 loss Bama or Georgia
                                Big Ten Champ
                                Undefeated Cincinnati
                                Oklahoma

If you’re Cinci, you’re chances again increased for the second straight outside your own performance.

Comment

Just read an article giving 2-loss Clemson a 5.9% chance to make the playoffs. Crazy question, even though I believe we don’t belong, what do people think the chance is an 11-1 ND team makes it?

Comment

Originally posted by dad4aa View Post
                                    Just read an article giving 2-loss Clemson a 5.9% chance to make the playoffs. Crazy question, even though I believe we don’t belong, what do people think the chance is an 11-1 ND team makes it?
                                    Zero.

Comment

One week later contenders are IMO….

SEC Champ
                                      1 loss Bama or Georgia
                                      Big Ten Champ
                                      Undefeated Cincinnati
                                      Oklahoma

If you’re Cinci, you’re chances again increased for the second straight outside your own performance.
                                      I’d throw OK State in there. If they run the table, it would be tough to leave them out. And I definitely think they have a shot to beat this OU team.

Comment

Looking at who is in front of us we would need:

1 ND goes undefeated
                                        2 Georgia runs the table. Eliminates UK, Alabama.
                                        3 Big10 East completes a circle of suck and the winner beats Iowa in the Big10 CG. Eliminates OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan, Iowa.
                                        4 Oklahoma State loses to Texas next week and beats Oklahoma in the final game of the season. Eliminates OSU, OU.

Playoffs are Georgia, Cincinnati, Oregon, and ND.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

Looking at who is in front of us we would need:

1 ND goes undefeated
                                          2 Georgia runs the table. Eliminates UK, Alabama.
                                          3 Big10 East completes a circle of suck and the winner beats Iowa in the Big10 CG. Eliminates OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan, Iowa.
                                          4 Oklahoma State loses to Texas next week and beats Oklahoma in the final game of the season. Eliminates OSU, OU.

Playoffs are Georgia, Cincinnati, Oregon, and ND.
                                          We play Georgia and get destroyed
                                          ND gets mocked relentlessly.
                                          No thank you.

Comment

I agree with essentially zero. Cinccy, OK and Oregon would all need to lose 2 plus a bunch of other things,

Comment

Any chance a 2 loss team makes it this year. For example Bama beating Georgia then losing the SEC game.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

I agree with essentially zero. Cinccy, OK and Oregon would all need to lose 2 plus a bunch of other things,
                                                11-1 ND makes it ahead of 1 loss Cincy.

Any chance a 2 loss team makes it this year. For example Bama beating Georgia then losing the SEC game.
                                                Bama will only play Georgia in the SEC CG

Comment

Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

I’d throw OK State in there. If they run the table, it would be tough to leave them out. And I definitely think they have a shot to beat this OU team.
                                                  Oklahoma may be the most vulnerable of those teams.

Comment

Cincy still needs help. Can't have 2 x 1 loss SEC teams come away from the SEC champ plus 1 loss Oregon PAC 13 champ and 0-1 loss Oklahoma BIG12 champ. Big 10 champ almost assuredly get in.

So then:
                                                    1) SEC champ - lock
                                                    2) BIG 10 champ - near lock
                                                    3) undefeated Oklahoma BIG 12 champ - lock. Even 1 loss gives them 50/50 odds or better with Cincy
                                                    4) other 1-loss SEC team or 1 loss Oregon PAC 12 champ

I still think undefeated Cincinnati finishes behind all the above.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                      11-1 ND makes it ahead of 1 loss Cincy.
                                                      If UC and ND both end up at 11-1, the committee would avoid the debate entirely and screw them both out of a playoff spot. It's a chaos year, so they'll probably get away with whatever bullshit final rankings they put out there.

The only exception for ND over 11-1 UC is if Buchner starts the second half of the season, and the committee argues that ND is better having been baptized by fire.

The only exception for 11-1 UC over ND is if UC has an extenuating circumstance in their loss (Ridder is out for a week or something), and there's enough chaos to still justify a 1-loss G5 team (aka all of the conference championship games get weird).

Comment

Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post

We play Georgia and get destroyed
                                                        ND gets mocked relentlessly.
                                                        No thank you.
                                                        Pretty much. I'm really not up for it again.

Mandel projected ND to face Texas in the Cheez It Bowl in his latest projection on The Athletic.

If that ends up being the case, I will be screaming at my TV like I have $10k bet on ND to win straight up. I absolutely do not want to see ND lose to Texas.
                                                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

If UC and ND both end up at 11-1, the committee would avoid the debate entirely and screw them both out of a playoff spot. It's a chaos year, so they'll probably get away with whatever bullshit final rankings they put out there.

The only exception for ND over 11-1 UC is if Buchner starts the second half of the season, and the committee argues that ND is better having been baptized by fire.

The only exception for 11-1 UC over ND is if UC has an extenuating circumstance in their loss (Ridder is out for a week or something), and there's enough chaos to still justify a 1-loss G5 team (aka all of the conference championship games get weird).

Honestly I think we'd get in because "Power 5 baby!!"... not saying it's right but it's what i would expect... and of course we'd get Bama or Uga in round 1...
                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Ok St’s comeback versus Texas was bad news for UC. It enhances the overall profile for the Big 12 rankings wise for Ok St to be good. UCs best chance might be undefeated Georgia, especially with UF falling off. Also need Ole Miss to drop one more to not have to think of them. The window seemed to open for a few weeks and now I can see the P5 surge in sight.

Bama wins out, Ole Miss wins out and Georgia wins out is nightmare fuel for UC. It’d be a SEC championship of Bama vs Georgia with Ole Miss as a 11-1 idle. Bama wins, them and Georgia are in. Bama loses, Ole Miss slides in a controversial one.

Comment

If UC makes the playoff, does UCF award itself something again?
                                                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

I want a lot of upsets above us so Cincinnati can be 2 and we can be #3 with a rematch with Cincinnati. Beat there ass like we should have. Won’t care if Georgia blows us out if this can happen.

Comment

I want a lot of upsets above us so Cincinnati can be 2 and we can be #3 with a rematch with Cincinnati. Beat there ass like we should have. Won’t care if Georgia blows us out if this can happen.
                                                                  As much as I'd like another shot at them, I don't think there's any way that happens with our weak schedule in the second half. We needed UNC and USC to live up to their preseason billing.

Look at the AP poll the past two weeks; there have been plenty of teams that lost in front of us and we've either been leap-frogged or teams settle right in front of us after a loss. The committee won't feel any different.

It just sucks that we beat ourselves, but I'm still not surprised that we lost that one. 5-1 is looks solid , but we all know we could've lost each and every game we've played in. 11-1 won't cut it with limited-to-no style points on the resume to help our cause.

EDIT: I say this assuming that UC runs the table and makes the CFP. I suppose if they drop one, they likely won't get in as a G5 school. I think there will be too many 1 or 2 loss P5 teams with better resumes that will get the nod. They'll miss and we could get a rematch in a bowl game as two At-Large bids to the NY6.
                                                                  My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

A 11-1 ND team will not sniff the playoffs. The powers that be will in no way consider this team a viable option despite the revenue possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by tko View Post
                                                                      A 11-1 ND team will not sniff the playoffs. The powers that be will in no way consider this team a viable option despite the revenue possibilities.
                                                                      Thank you for small miracles. We do not deserve a CFP spot, or a big bowl where we will get taken behind the woodshed again. Give me the Alamo bowl will a game that we stand a chance in.
                                                                      Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

Comment

Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

Thank you for small miracles. We do not deserve a CFP spot, or a big bowl where we will get taken behind the woodshed again. Give me the Alamo bowl will a game that we stand a chance in.
                                                                        Sun Bowl!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sun Bowl!!!!!!!!
                                                                          All day, my office literally looks into the South end zone.
                                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Fiesta or Peach Bowl this year, that should be the goal

Comment

• #39

I think it's clear they're not a playoff team but every team outside of Georgia and maybe bama is flawed. Any P5 team that finishes 11-1 this year probably deserves a spot in a big bowl.

These bowl tie ins ae confusing but I think there's a slim chance they'll get matched up with a SEC team in a big bowl b/c the non playoff team will get into the Sugar Bowl. I think it's possible for them to get matched up with the 2nd best team in the PAC (probably not sending anyone to playoff and champ plays in Rose bowl), 2nd or 3rd best team in the Big 12 (best team is in playoffs or sugar and that leaves the 2nd or 3rd best team for at large game), or 3rd best team in the Big 10 (I think it's a lock for BIG to send one team to playoffs and 2nd best goes to rose bowl) or the ACC champ (they're not getting into playoffs and no tie in game this year).

The worst case scenario, IMO, is getting matched up with Michigan if they finish 3rd best team in the BIG, which is possible. Hate to say it, but I think they would kick the shit out of this team. Again.

Best case scenario, is getting matched up with the ACC champ, Pitt or NC State. That's a very winnable game and could give them some momentum heading into 2022.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                The only teams that would definitely embarrass us should be in the playoff, so there's no reason to aim lower than a NY6 bowl. Fans were predicting calamity when we drew LSU as our post-season opponent after the 2014 and 2017 seasons, yet we beat them both times. Don't sell our boys short.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

The only teams that would definitely embarrass us should be in the playoff, so there's no reason to aim lower than a NY6 bowl. Fans were predicting calamity when we drew LSU as our post-season opponent after the 2014 and 2017 seasons, yet we beat them both times. Don't sell our boys short.
                                                                                  Agreed. That was my point with post above, but I used more words and made less sense.

I think we could get worked by OSU and Michigan, though. Maybe the Sooners if they can figure out their qb issues.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I must be in the minority thinking that an 11-1 ND with its loss coming to #2 in the country gets in. Maybe a 3 seed, especially if GA beats Bama in the SEC game. There is a ton of football and chaos to be had.

Just keep winning and it’ll all align. I have faith.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

Disagree. Poll momentum alone would put us in ahead of them. The H2H loss was early. Plus look at UCs remaining schedule, any loss would be a really really bad loss. They'll drop like a stone. The playoff committee is never putting in a G5 team with a loss. I'm still not convinced Cincy makes it even if they run the table.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        If SMU goes undefeated they in?

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          If SMU goes undefeated they in?
                                                                                          zero chance.
                                                                                          My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

zero chance.
                                                                                            Agreed,… but it’s horseshit,…

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Wild that Pittsburgh or Wake Forest could be playoff teams.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                I think we end up with Georgia, OSU, OU, and Cincinnati. So 3 of the 4 are usual suspects but at least we get some unique match ups.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  If Georgia, Cincinnati, and Ohio State win out then Notre Dame actually has a shot.

I know a lot of people don't like hearing this, but if Notre Dame was in the ACC they would be a clear favorite for their championship and a playoff berth.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                                                                                                    If Georgia, Cincinnati, and Ohio State win out then Notre Dame actually has a shot.

I know a lot of people don't like hearing this, but if Notre Dame was in the ACC they would be a clear favorite for their championship and a playoff berth.
                                                                                                    I think ole miss would have to lose in this scenario as well. I assume committee would give them the nod over ND.

Would be a lot better for ND chances for Michigan to win out in BIG. No chance a two loss OSU gets in over ND but I could see a scenario where Michigan stays ahead of ND if they win convincingly against msu and psu and lose a close game to OSU. I could see how this escaped you bc we all just assume Michigan will lose to OSU lol.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X