No announcement yet.

Oct 30 | North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As good as Howell is (was?), anyone who thought this was a top 10 team after they saw their top 5 players get drafted last year were delusional.

Javonte Williams and Michael Carter at RB, plus Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome at WR. I don't have the actual numbers in front of me, but I'd bet my mortgage that was > 90% of their offensive production last year. Sprinkle in Chazz Surratt at LB, who was all over the place for that D last year, who actually thought UNC was going to reload, even with Howell? I don't think Brown has been there long enough for them to develop a reload vs. a rebuild mentality, even with Howell who I always thought was a tad bit overrated.

The ACC is hot garbage this year. It honestly might be Wake Forest's conference to lose.
    My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

As good as Howell is (was?), anyone who thought this was a top 10 team after they saw their top 5 players get drafted last year were delusional.

Javonte Williams and Michael Carter at RB, plus Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome at WR. I don't have the actual numbers in front of me, but I'd bet my mortgage that was > 90% of their offensive production last year. Sprinkle in Chazz Surratt at LB, who was all over the place for that D last year, who actually thought UNC was going to reload, even with Howell? I don't think Brown has been there long enough for them to develop a reload vs. a rebuild mentality, even with Howell who I always thought was a tad bit overrated.

The ACC is hot garbage this year. It honestly might be Wake Forest's conference to lose.
      Your best right now seem to be NC State, Wake, and BC.

Clawson might finally get the break needed for him to be shot up into the spotlight. He's always been a good coach but hasn't quite gotten over the hump at Wake. This might be the year and any school looking to snag a good hire would have him on their list. Or at least they should.
      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

Your best right now seem to be NC State, Wake, and BC.

Clawson might finally get the break needed for him to be shot up into the spotlight. He's always been a good coach but hasn't quite gotten over the hump at Wake. This might be the year and any school looking to snag a good hire would have him on their list. Or at least they should.
        He's done a really nice job with that program. He's had them above .500 four of the last five years. That's easier said than done at Wake. I agree, it would be interesting to see what he could do if he got a shot at a bigger program.

Comment

106 tickets available on Vet Tix for anyone who’s eager to see this offense live and in person.

Also, there’s a spin off service of Vet tix called 1st Tix for law enforcement officers, firefighters, EMTs, nurses and 911 Dispatchers. From what I can tell it uses the same ticket data base as Vet Tix so if you, your wife or whoever got that criteria you can sign up and get tickets to cool events.
          .....Before I Get Out

Comment

ND opens at -4

Comment

I really thought it would be higher... That worries me a bit
              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

I think that line is about right. UNC can put it together and win this game. It’s definitely not a gimme especially coming off a big emotional night game. The stadium will feel like a church compared to last night. The letdown factor plays a role here.

Comment

I see the line has already moved to -3.5 ND…

Comment

Headed up for the game.

Comment

Comment

So wait...they've lost to both teams we've played head to head (Both of which were away games for us), they squeaked by 2-4 Miami, and we've got them at home? We've arguably gotten a bit better as the season has gone on, while NC's hype has been dropping. I like our chances.

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                          So wait...they've lost to both teams we've played head to head (Both of which were away games for us), they squeaked by 2-4 Miami, and we've got them at home? We've arguably gotten a bit better as the season has gone on, while NC's hype has been dropping. I like our chances.
                          I had the same thoughts and was expecting a 7-8 point spread. Problem is Vegas knows better so its a reason for concern for Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by benneboy View Post

I had the same thoughts and was expecting a 7-8 point spread. Problem is Vegas knows better so its a reason for concern for Saturday.

SP+ has us .4 apart so tack on 3 for home field advantage and biggity bam Vegas baby!

Comment

Originally posted by benneboy View Post

I as well. My hope is that it's about the fact Hamilton isn't confirmed to be playing yet.

Comment

I'll be there, and I've never been to a night game when the crowd hasn't been electric, so I'm not buying the "crowd let down" narrative that one poster had.

When the liquids have been flowing for 8ish hours, the volume cranks up.

-3.5 seems criminally low. This doesn't have to be close...

Comment

My favorite thing about UNC fans is the game is a week away & they are already blaming the refs. LOL
                                  After last years game they blamed the refs, & this year they have already built in that excuse.

Comment

Nice to see an opponent have a week off before ND.

Comment

Hamilton is OUT for this one per BK. Oh boy.

Comment

LOL kid's layed off the weed during the season it seems
                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                          Hamilton is OUT for this one per BK. Oh boy.
                                          I could be wrong but I don't think UNC's offense is any scarier than USC's, and we held them to 16, without KH for most of the game. The bend, don't break strategy was effective for the most part, and it could have been even more effective if our tackling wasn't so damn sloppy.

Hopefully they clean up the tackling and our boys up front keep up the pressure and get Howell with some happy feet.

By no means am I implying this isn't a huge loss, but the defensive effort last week was good enough to give me hope we can get to 7-1 without him.

Comment

Doesn't UNC have an awful Oline again?
                                            I like our chances with that matchup.
                                            Sounds like a big havoc game.

Comment

No Kyle Hamilton for this game.

NM. See it's already posted. My IE has been messed up all day today. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                Doesn't UNC have an awful Oline again?
                                                I like our chances with that matchup.
                                                Sounds like a big havoc game.
                                                Great qb and skill players. Oline and defense seem to be on par or worse than USC

Comment

The offensive scheme they run favors a poor O line. I think we're going to need to score 30-35 to win this game. Lea had them on lockdown. Freeman......... we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                    The offensive scheme they run favors a poor O line. I think we're going to need to score 30-35 to win this game. Lea had them on lockdown. Freeman......... we shall see.
                                                    To be fair, Freeman's D gave up less to SC this pass week than Lea's ever did...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                      To be fair, Freeman's D gave up less to SC this pass week than Lea's ever did...
                                                      I don't understand why people aren't more excited about holding USC to 16 points....are they more concerned about total yards than total points?

The havoc plays were early and often on Saturday. The bend, don't break strategy not only worked, but would have been even better had the tackling not been so shoddy.

Seems like a lot of negativity after doing a really nice job against arguably the best offensive team we've played to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

I don't understand why people aren't more excited about holding USC to 16 points....are they more concerned about total yards than total points?

The havoc plays were early and often on Saturday. The bend, don't break strategy not only worked, but would have been even better had the tackling not been so shoddy.

Seems like a lot of negativity after doing a really nice job against arguably the best offensive team we've played to date.
                                                        They held themselves to 16 points, to a certain extent. Missed 42 yard field goal, missed extra point and awful clock management cost them 7 points, at least.

Still not bad but if they actually put these points on the board to end the 1st half and start the 2nd half it would have been a different game. That had little to do with the defense and more to do with USC being USC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

They held themselves to 16 points, to a certain extent. Missed 42 yard field goal, missed extra point and awful clock management cost them 7 points, at least.

Still not bad but if they actually put these points on the board to end the 1st half and start the 2nd half it would have been a different game. That had little to do with the defense and more to do with USC being USC.
                                                          I agree. They threw for 300 yards and ran for 120+. We didn't really stop them from eating up field, and while we did get some stops and keep points off the board I think USC had quite a few self inflicted wounds that cost them points. I don't think Interim Coach Williams has done himself any favors when it comes to landing a future HC job somewhere else given his missteps, and he's got a bit of an ego issue anyway in my opinion so FUSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

And we dropped a pass at the 5-yard line after marching right down the field and then missed the FG. We also followed our TD with an interception return to the 4 yard line and then shot ourselves in the foot and had to settle for a FG. Had we gone up 21-0 rather than 10-0...it would have been a different game.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                              I hear what you're saying but I couldn't have been less impressed with USC as a roster in general minus London at wr. They are absolutely terrible imo. My impressions are UNC is much more talented.

Comment

The results don't seem to back that up.

They've done really well and put up a lot of points, but only against the worst defenses they've played. And believe me, they are BAD defenses, as in some of the worst in CFB.

The better defenses they've played have held them in check.

Florida State held them to 25 points, Virginia Tech held them to 10, Georgia Tech held them to 22. And none of these defenses are legitimately good, they're just not terrible.

The only good game they had against a not ungodly terrible defense was Miami, but that game was heavily aided by Miami's inept offense turning the ball over time and time again.
                                                                It's Just a Ride.

Comment

I hear what you're saying but I couldn't have been less impressed with USC as a roster in general minus London at wr. They are absolutely terrible imo. My impressions are UNC is much more talented.
                                                                  I mean, they aren't.

UNC has similar strengths on offense to USC, in that they have 1 major weapon at receiver in Downs, like USC had in London, but not much else. Their run game is often non-existent and Howell has been a massive disappointment and if pressured, is awful. Their offensive line returned every starter from last year and they're still bad. They're actually worse than USC up front.

Their numbers are heavily aided by the fact that they've played some of the worst defenses in the country. Against the better ones they've played (mind you, not good defenses, just the better ones), they've struggled.

Defensively, they're bad. Arguably worse than USC.
                                                                  It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Last week predicted over 150 yards from scrimmage for KW. This week, not as many, but still a lot…120.

Mr. Austin’s turn to go off. Yeah buddy. Give me 150+ receiving yards. 2 long ones housed.

irish roll. This of course assuming that Tommy goes up tempo again.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

I mean, they aren't.

UNC has similar strengths on offense to USC, in that they have 1 major weapon at receiver in Downs, like USC had in London, but not much else. Their run game is often non-existent and Howell has been a massive disappointment and if pressured, is awful. Their offensive line returned every starter from last year and they're still bad. They're actually worse than USC up front.

Their numbers are heavily aided by the fact that they've played some of the worst defenses in the country. Against the better ones they've played (mind you, not good defenses, just the better ones), they've struggled.

Defensively, they're bad. Arguably worse than USC.
                                                                      Their run game being non-existent is a bit of a stretch. They don’t get that much from their RB always but with Howell they’ve ran for over 200 yards 4 times. They’ve had 1 game it’d call it non-existent, the GA Tech loss.

Comment

Comment

UNCs pass game this year is incredibly predictable because the OL still can’t hold up and outside WRs are not unique talents. You basically just half to make sure you don’t get burned deep they are almost non threats besides that and don’t get targeted very often. Downs lines up exclusively in the slot. Don’t think for a second BK wasn’t on to UNC when he hyped up Bracy all Saturday night. I think you’ll see Lewis and Hart left alone a bit more than normal and them soft bracket Downs. Biggest priority should be Howell running.

Comment

Some stats to keep in mind with regards to UNC's defense.

Braxton Burmeister: 9 rushes, 47 yards, 1 TD (12/19, 163 yards, 1 TD/1 INT)

Jeff Sims: 10 rushes, 128 yards, 3 TDs (10/13, 112 yards, 1 TD)

Jordan Travis: 14 rushes, 121 yards, 2 TDs. (11/13, 145 yards, 3 TDs)

Might be a good idea to get Buchner some serious PT this Saturday.

Comment

• #88
                                                                              Hi everyone! Haven't posted on this forum in... 8 years? Anyway, I've gone from an ND-obsessed high school student to a washed up alum, and am now headed back to campus for the first time since my senior year (proudly, my last season on campus was the 2016 debacle).

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'm driving up to the game and will likely get there around noon. Any recommendations for parking, walking distance to campus? Happy to park on a front lawn or in the street... just don't know where to even look.

Comment

• #89
                                                                                Originally posted by BurningRiver View Post
                                                                                Hi everyone! Haven't posted on this forum in... 8 years? Anyway, I've gone from an ND-obsessed high school student to a washed up alum, and am now headed back to campus for the first time since my senior year (proudly, my last season on campus was the 2016 debacle).

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'm driving up to the game and will likely get there around noon. Any recommendations for parking, walking distance to campus? Happy to park on a front lawn or in the street... just don't know where to even look.
                                                                                I park every game in the neighborhood just east of Twyckenham and north of Bulla for $20. Short walk and easy to leave after the game.

Comment

• #90
                                                                                  Originally posted by dad4aa View Post

I park every game in the neighborhood just east of Twyckenham and north of Bulla for $20. Short walk and easy to leave after the game.
                                                                                  You can’t go wrong with that area. I always do the house at the end of the cul-de-sac of Ivy and Dunn for $20.

Comment

• #91
                                                                                    Originally posted by FWIrish4 View Post

You can’t go wrong with that area. I always do the house at the end of the cul-de-sac of Ivy and Dunn for $20.
                                                                                    Same lot I use (meant to say south of Bulla). Fills up fast but might still be able to get a spot around noon since it’s a night game

Comment

• #92

Comment

• #93
                                                                                        Originally posted by BurningRiver View Post

I park in the same area as dad4aa. here's the parking suggestions thread that gives plenty of options and a map

https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/pla...ng-suggestions

Enjoy, I'll be there Saturday as well. Shaping up to be a nice fall day on campus

Comment

• #94
                                                                                          Everything Brian Kelly Said Thursday Before Notre Dame vs. UNC (247sports.com)

Comment

• #95
                                                                                            Being the pessimistic a hole I have unfortunately become, any time we play these guys I think of that Jimmy C game in Carolina where we were leading at the half and he threw a pick six right out of the half and it all went downhill from there... that's one of the most haunting games of the CW era for me. Never again. Any kind of a win here would be appreciated and honestly expected.
                                                                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• #96
                                                                                              Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                              Being the pessimistic a hole I have unfortunately become, any time we play these guys I think of that Jimmy C game in Carolina where we were leading at the half and he threw a pick six right out of the half and it all went downhill from there... that's one of the most haunting games of the CW era for me. Never again. Any kind of a win here would be appreciated and honestly expected.
                                                                                              I still vividly remember the final drive when he Clausen threw it to Floyd inside the 10 who was down with 4 seconds on the clock easy but the ball came loose. Clock doesnt stop till 1 second is left and Clausen tries to down it. Butch Davis walks across the whole field to Shake Charlie's hand. Then there is a review of the final play and they say Floyd fumbled the ball (questionable in my opinion). And then I can picture Weis' face with that classic blank stare on it like he has no idea what happened. Classic choke job.

I also remember that ball to Golden where the DB was just chillin waiting for it and Tate basically dives into him to take the ball away from him.
                                                                                              Last edited by DONTH8; 10-28-2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• #97
                                                                                                Read where Howell only threw 7 total INT's combined his first two seasons. He has 6 so far this year.

Comment

• #98
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                  Read where Howell only threw 7 total INT's combined his first two seasons. He has 6 so far this year.
                                                                                                  BK must have learned his ability to ruin quarterbacks from Mack Brown! He did spend his early coaching years shadowing him at Texas...

Comment

• #99
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                    On the flip side, look at his rush attempts his first two years vs this season. He’s got over 400 rushing yds after accounting for sacks and almost the same amount of carries as their first team RB. Dude is now a legit run threat.

Comment

• Sam can't wait to do us dirty like Burmeister and his long haired sidekick did.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X