Sept 25 | Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    I suspect ND will face a ton of 3rd & longs this Saturday. As bad as Mertz has looked going back to their 2nd game of last season, he’s due & I’m not assuming he’s going to toss it to the guys in Irish jerseys.

The Badgers D runs a 3/4 and their LB are extremely aggressive at stopping the run. Even if ND’s OL can neutralize the Badgers DL, they aren’t athletic or savvy enough to get the 2nd wave of LB who will be pressing down on the LOS. Don’t be surprised if we see more of both Tyree & Williams in the backfield protecting Coan.
    I could see the opposite proving true.

ND's offensive line is a bit undersized and has gotten bullied by DLs. It's possible Patterson has a great game against the nose tackle and the line's lack of size helps them get to the Wisconsin LBs. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Comment

• This is probably the lease confident in a game I’ve been in a long time. I think it’ll be a close one and very low scoring but I don’t see us winning
      Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Zero vibe on this game. I just hope I don't witness an immediate 3 and out from the offense trying to "establish the run."

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
          This is probably the lease confident in a game I’ve been in a long time. I think it’ll be a close one and very low scoring but I don’t see us winning
          I'm supposed to be the negative one and everyone else is supposed to talk me out of it. Unfortunately........I agree
          Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post

I'm supposed to be the negative one and everyone else is supposed to talk me out of it. Unfortunately........I agree
            Bitch please....
            There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
              Zero vibe on this game. I just hope I don't witness an immediate 3 and out from the offense trying to "establish the run."
              You know as well as I do we will take the ball to start and immediately go 3 and out.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvilleIrish View Post

You know as well as I do we will take the ball to start and immediately go 3 and out.
                then Wisconsin will start their 1st possession on about there own 40 yard line. ND will need a big game from the punt unit in this game.

Comment

I suspect ND will face a ton of 3rd & longs this Saturday. As bad as Mertz has looked going back to their 2nd game of last season, he’s due & I’m not assuming he’s going to toss it to the guys in Irish jerseys.

The Badgers D runs a 3/4 and their LB are extremely aggressive at stopping the run. Even if ND’s OL can neutralize the Badgers DL, they aren’t athletic or savvy enough to get the 2nd wave of LB who will be pressing down on the LOS. Don’t be surprised if we see more of both Tyree & Williams in the backfield protecting Coan.
                  Why is Mertz “due”? He’s had one career game doing anything but be average to below average and it was against a bad COVID impacted Illinois team. He shouldn’t be expected to be anything better than average Saturday, if that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Why is Mertz “due”? He’s had one career game doing anything but be average to below average and it was against a bad COVID impacted Illinois team. He shouldn’t be expected to be anything better than average Saturday, if that.
                    Not basing it on Mertz per se but we all can recount below avg QBs coming in and having a career day vs ND and then never being heard from again. I should have worded it that way vs “he’s due”

Comment

• I took Wisconsin -5.5. Unfortunately, not as a good luck jesture like Purdue. I'm expecting to get paid this time.

Just a horrible matchup with our crappy OL.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
                        I took Wisconsin -5.5. Unfortunately, not as a good luck jesture like Purdue. I'm expecting to get paid this time.

Just a horrible matchup with our crappy OL.
                        What about their horrible O against our D?

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

imo it'll depend on the ND offense. if ND cant sustain any drives on offense and is constantly going 3 and out its going to put a strain on the ND defense.

Comment

• The more people doubt the Irish here, the more confident I get.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

I wouldn't go as far as saying their offense is horrible - yet. I think they can run the ball. They ran all over Eastern but that's Eastern. The Penn State score is a bit deceiving. They moved the ball better than PSU but they just didn't finish the drive - missed FG, a fumble and two picks. Hopefully we can force some turnovers and get the same result.

I think it's a close game and that probably favors Wiscy b/c they have been able to run the ball more consistently than ND but who the hell knows this year. Maybe the defensive makes a big play and scores or specials teams can come up with the big play.

Comment

• Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                The more people doubt the Irish here, the more confident I get.
                                That makes one of us haha.

Hope you're right. Ugly slug fest. Can Coan make enough plays downfield? More than they did against PU, and against a better defense? That's what's giving me pause.
                                My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

It's an Irish tradition!

I actually like our chances. I think you'll see more of Buchner running the RPO to keep their LB's in check. Look for Tommy to utilize KW & CT in checkoffs when their LB's crash. Mayer should get some looks over the middle as well.

Comment

• I think ND’s run stopping performance will look a bit different than PSU. PSU’s DL is average and their LBs and S Brisker are good. That’s why in that game and Auburn you saw a lot of 3,4, 5 yard runs but not 8, 10, 15. ND has a high stuff rate, as led by our DL. The #s say we do give up second level chunks though, as seen in the missed tackles. Wisconsin won’t be able to Navy-like, as Kelly alluded to, march 3-4 yards if we can stuff first down and at least not give up a chunk on second. Melusi runs hard though so priority will be tackling for sure. If they can sure that up I like our chances to call their offense poor

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

That makes one of us haha.

Hope you're right. Ugly slug fest. Can Coan make enough plays downfield? More than they did against PU, and against a better defense? That's what's giving me pause.
                                      Rees has shown enough that we should trust him to have a solid game plan.

Do I think Notre Dame is going to light up the scoreboard? No. But I think they’ll move the ball enough to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

I wouldn't go as far as saying their offense is horrible - yet. I think they can run the ball. They ran all over Eastern but that's Eastern. The Penn State score is a bit deceiving. They moved the ball better than PSU but they just didn't finish the drive - missed FG, a fumble and two picks. Hopefully we can force some turnovers and get the same result.

I think it's a close game and that probably favors Wiscy b/c they have been able to run the ball more consistently than ND but who the hell knows this year. Maybe the defensive makes a big play and scores or specials teams can come up with the big play.
                                        By the same “deceiving” token though, Clifford missed a couple easy ones. So agree the RZ % was missed opportunity but PSU missed some wide open TDs in the pass game. Hopefully Coan and company don’t

Comment

• If we come out and play sound/base defense, we'll have a shot to win because I don't think Wiscy will be able to move the ball efficiently on this defense. If we come out with an over aggressive game plan and get beat for some chunk plays because of it, I worry we'll get in a hole we can't get ourselves out of.

Comment

• We may have A LOT of questions, most specifically on the OL, but people are giving Wisconsin way too much credit IMO...

Comment

• I feel like every time a game is supposed to be a low-scoring slugfest it's 35-28 at halftime and the halftime crew says something like "A shootout just like we all expected! hahaha!"

Formerly known as Kellyisit

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                We may have A LOT of questions, most specifically on the OL, but people are giving Wisconsin way too much credit IMO...
                                                Yes. We have the better coached and more talented team, top to bottom. The uncertainty of our OL definitely creates an opening (lol) for the Badger defense to stifle our attack, but this feels like another game where everyone picks against us, we win and still get no credit for it somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Yes. We have the better coached and more talented team, top to bottom. The uncertainty of our OL definitely creates an opening (lol) for the Badger defense to stifle our attack, but this feels like another game where everyone picks against us, we win and still get no credit for it somehow.
                                                  Not only no credit for it, but probably drop off a couple spots in the meaningless polls.

Comment

• I’d like to see Buchner come out for the first set. Wiscy will figure we start Coan and we could catch them off guard as I imagine they might alter personnel for Buchner.

Comment

• Greg Roman and the Ravens were doing some really nice things with Lamar that I thought would be nice fits for Buchner and our run game. Hopefully Tommy was watching.

Something to consider with Coan's efficiency going forward. The more we practice with Buchner at QB the less reps Coan is getting throughout the week. Hopefully, we can continue to rep both QB's in practice and not have it impact the product on Saturday.
                                                      Prehistoric

Comment

• would love to see kyreen Williams get more opportunities returning punts. hopefully BK had his eyes opened about how important the punt return game is, those hidden yards could really help out our offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                          Greg Roman and the Ravens were doing some really nice things with Lamar that I thought would be nice fits for Buchner and our run game. Hopefully Tommy was watching.

Something to consider with Coan's efficiency going forward. The more we practice with Buchner at QB the less reps Coan is getting throughout the week. Hopefully, we can continue to rep both QB's in practice and not have it impact the product on Saturday.
                                                          I actually really hope Tommy isn’t calling plays based off MNF

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

I actually really hope Tommy isn’t calling plays based off MNF
                                                            Don't worry, he goes off Madden.

Comment

• Zone read for a 3 yard loss first play, entire field to the right wide open because the world knows Coan won't pull it and run.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                                                                Zone read for a 3 yard loss first play, entire field to the right wide open because the world knows Coan won't pull it and run.
                                                                coan doesn't even try to scramble most of the time. wouldn't mind seeing some bootleg passes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

I agree with everything you said except the better coached team. I really don’t think that’s true right now.
                                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Tickets dropped low enough on StubHub to stomach it. See you boys in Chicago

Comment

We may have A LOT of questions, most specifically on the OL, but people are giving Wisconsin way too much credit IMO...
                                                                      Just speculating, but I’m guessing that it may have to do w/ ND’s first 2 opponents being much worse than expected yet giving ND a close game

Comment

Just speculating, but I’m guessing that it may have to do w/ ND’s first 2 opponents being much worse than expected yet giving ND a close game
                                                                        Have you seen Wisconsin play at all? They're not great either.

Comment

We've actually been pretty good last year and this year getting the ball first.
                                                                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

They moved the ball better than PSU, but that ain't saying much.

Wisconsin averaged 3.8 yards per play. They were, in fact, quite horrible, but because Penn State's offense was so insanely abysmal, they dominated time of possession and were able to wear down Penn State's defense.

But they got burned by some big plays while Mertz made some key errors that decided the outcome. If there's two things this team has done well so far this season, it's make some big plays on offense and make crucial negative plays and turnovers on defense.

Though I'd probably feel a lot better if this team showed some discipline.
                                                                            It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Have you seen Wisconsin play at all? They're not great either.
                                                                              Who said anything about them being great?

They took care of their MAC opponent despite running a vanilla offense and their D pitched a shutout. In other words, they did what they were supposed to do against a MAC team. ND struggled mightily w/ their MAC opponent and Toledo is not a good team despite all the experience they returned.

Their QB cost them the game vs PSU. Their D shut down PSU & their run game was successful against the PSU Defense. Factor in an ND OL who can’t block and I’m guessing that’s why the spread is where it’s at. Like I said…just speculating as to why Wiscy is getting “too much credit”.

Personally I don’t think they’re a vintage Wisconsin team and have been unproven thus far but there’s no question they’ll win the LOS on defense. The question will be can our D prevent their run game from running downhill. If they can’t, it could be ugly.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post

We've actually been pretty good last year and this year getting the ball first.
                                                                                The defense needs to set the tone for this team, kick the ball.

Comment

Personally I don’t think they’re a vintage Wisconsin team and have been unproven thus far but there’s no question they’ll win the LOS on defense. The question will be can our D prevent their run game from running downhill. If they can’t, it could be ugly.
                                                                                  For God's sake....4 linemen please.
                                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

For God's sake....4 linemen please.
                                                                                    I will loose my mind if freeman has ND in a 3 man defensive front.

Comment

• I don't think those of us who have our doubts are giving Wisconsin too much credit so much as we are taking a look in the mirror and realize that, despite Wisconsin not being that good....neither are we? lol

I hope the squad continues to improve. Saw some signs of life from the OL last week in the running game, but still giving up too many sacks and we are getting ready to play the best defensive unit we've seen this season.

I have high hopes for the defense to keep this game close this weekend, though. Our stuff rate has been very good all season and they did a nice job limiting the big plays against Purdue. If they have actually turned the corner, it would be nice to lean on the defense for some Ws this fall; that didn't appear to be an option after the first two games.
                                                                                      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• SP+ projects Wisconsin by 5:

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post

The defense needs to set the tone for this team, kick the ball.
                                                                                          Eh, I think it's one of those things fans complain about but have little impact on the game.
                                                                                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• When Graham Mertz throws an interception Wisconsin is 0-4
                                                                                            When Graham Mertz doesn’t throw an interception Wisconsin is 5-0

Comment

When Graham Mertz throws an interception Wisconsin is 0-4
                                                                                              When Graham Mertz doesn’t throw an interception Wisconsin is 5-0
                                                                                              Kyle Hamilton likes this statistic.

Comment

• Whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game, IMO. I would be more confident with Lea stuffing the run than Freeman - if we let them rip off a couple of big gainers I don't know if we can recover.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                                                                  Whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game, IMO. I would be more confident with Lea stuffing the run than Freeman - if we let them rip off a couple of big gainers I don't know if we can recover.
                                                                                                  I won't recover. We should be all over their backfield including Mertz.

Comment

• Anyone know when we will be getting an update on the depth chart for the game? I’m curious to see who is/is not available.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
                                                                                                      Anyone know when we will be getting an update on the depth chart for the game? I’m curious to see who is/is not available.

Depth chart here, unavailable list won’t be available until about an hour and a half before kickoff

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X