Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Buster Bluth = BB = Bilbo Baggins?

Trait Expectations = Pai Mei = Veritate Duce Progredi?

Comment

Prister's freebie today has Carroll staying at tackle b/c Lugg's back is an issue and Dirksen with the first shot at RG. He's also got Kristoflec moving to LG giving Baker at shot at LT. All speculative.

I'm starting to think nobody really knows squat about our OL situation.

Comment

Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
        Prister's freebie today has Carroll staying at tackle b/c Lugg's back is an issue and Dirksen with the first shot at RG. He's also got Kristoflec moving to LG giving Baker at shot at LT. All speculative.

Considering no one can attend practice, again (over a year now) they really nothing.

Comment

NDI has it like below. They are one of the better depth chart pubs IMO, but I'm sure it will change several times before the season starts.

(PS - Mods - love you can past tables now).

Left Tackle
          55 Jarrett Patterson 6-5 305 Sr.
          73 Andrew Kristofic 6-5 292 Jr.
          79 Tosh Baker 6-8 300 So.
          Joe Alt 6-7 280 Fr.
          Left Guard
          76 Dillan Gibbons 6-4 309 Gr.
          70 Hunter Spears 6-4 304 Jr.
          50 Rocco Spindler 6-5 315 Fr.
          Center
          52 Zeke Correll 6-3 295 Jr.
          Pat Coogan 6-5 310 Fr.
          Right Guard
          77 Quinn Carroll 6-7 306 Jr.
          56 John Dirksen 6-5 306 Sr.
          Right Tackle
          75 Josh Lugg 6-7 310 Gr.
          68 Michael Carmody 6-6 300 So.
          54 Blake Fisher 6-6 330 Fr.
          72 Caleb Johnson 6-6 275 Fr.
          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

NDI has it like below. They are one of the better depth chart pubs IMO, but I'm sure it will change several times before the season starts.

Left Tackle
            Joe Alt 6-7 280 Fr.
            Left Guard
            Center
            Pat Coogan 6-5 310 Fr.
            Right Guard
            Right Tackle
            75 Josh Lugg 6-7 310 Gr.
            I'd be pretty happy if this was the case

Comment

Well because no one does. Not yet. Not any insider or Quinn or BK. We can’t know what our OL will be before we try the options

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post

Well because no one does. Not yet. Not any insider or Quinn or BK. We can’t know what our OL will be before we try the options
                I wouldn't go that far. I have to believe Quinn has a pretty good idea.

Comment

This is why I'm so frustrated we won't get any look into spring ball. The questions at O line alone are enough to keep me engaged for the entire spring.
                  Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

I wouldn't go that far. I have to believe Quinn has a pretty good idea.
                    Who the OL will be? I think he probably has a hope or idea how it COULD shake out but I don’t think there’s an answer that he knows yet

Comment

Kelly said Lugg is playing Tackle in the spring but they want to move him to guard. I'm interpreting that as meaning they've seen enough of him at both positions to know he's better at guard but they don't have enough at tackle now. Also probably means Patterson is a tackle when he returns from his injury
                      So that would be Patterson at LT, Zeke at C and Lugg at RG with LG and RT the position battles.

Spindler and Fisher should be in the thick of it.

Comment

Yea, so Kelly said that one tackle spot and one guard spot are competitive with Correll at C and Lugg eventually playing guard. This means Patterson is guaranteed a OT position and LG is probably the competitive spot since Lugg has played RG before.

Honestly, I’ll trust the staff but this seems like a bizarre way to go about it. I guess we’ll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                          Yea, so Kelly said that one tackle spot and one guard spot are competitive with Correll at C and Lugg eventually playing guard. This means Patterson is guaranteed a OT position and LG is probably the competitive spot since Lugg has played RG before.

Honestly, I’ll trust the staff but this seems like a bizarre way to go about it. I guess we’ll see.
                          Heard chatter last week that Spindler is getting a lot of attention and is a bit of a freak. And Fisher is more advanced than expected too. BK confirmed both were working with the 2s already today.

Comment

#2 OLM looked like (R to L) Carmody Carroll Kristofic? Spindler and Fisher. Really didn't a good look to C but it ended with a 3. Could have been Quinn Murphy.

Comment

How is it bizarre? They want to see guys at OG and OT so Lugg will likely shift around so more guys get looks at OG. I’d put it as a sign more guys are in play for the open OG position than OT, so put Lugg at OT for now so LG and RG can be open for guys to get looks.

Comment

Is it more important to rep a 2nd team OG or a 1st team RT? Seems pretty simple.

and because Patterson is out and he’s guaranteed a starting OT spot. We’re going to go into Fall camp with 2 OT’s that didn’t take 1st team reps or a lot of 1st team reps at the position in the Spring. I’d have a much greater sense of urgency in figuring that out and repping those guys than a 2nd team OG.

Comment

Is it more important to rep a 2nd team OG or a 1st team RT? Seems pretty simple.

and because Patterson is out and he’s guaranteed a starting OT spot. We’re going to go into Fall camp with 2 OT’s that didn’t take 1st team reps or a lot of 1st team reps at the position in the Spring. I’d have a much greater sense of urgency in figuring that out and repping those guys than a 2nd team OG.
                                  how do we know the guy is a 2nd team OG if we haven’t decided who the 1st is? That’s the whole point?

Comment

Because Lugg is the first, lol. That’s the whole point.

Comment

What? Not sure we’re on the same page here. My point was if the staff believes let’s say 4 guys could realistically get the other Guard spot while only expecting 2 guys to really compete for the open Tackle spot, then putting Lugg at OT for initial practices to get a initial look at MORE Guards with the First Team O I don’t think is bizarre.

Comment

This looks much more like a rebuilding than a reloading.

Agree. Because RT is the weak point and needs the focus. Not OG.
                                        Every position but RT has nearly-defined options.
                                        So, if you have an almost-certain RG (Lugg) and a certain OC (Correll), then why not focus on RT options to see how they work with the more fixed OC and RG?

--
                                        Based on what ISD says the 1īs were and what StPeteIrish tbelieves the 2īs were, it seems we have only 2 solids and one hopefully-solid to start the year:

OC Correll (solid)
                                        RG Lugg (solid - maybe, maybe LG)
                                        LT Patterson (hopefully-solid, yellow flag becasuse of injury and lost practice time)

So,

LT - Patterson
                                        LT backup for injured Patterson is
                                        - Baker, a natural LT, solid option with size and playing time.
                                        - Kristofic - maybe the teamīs plug-and-play at RT, OC2, LT2

LG -
                                        Quinn Carroll
                                        Gibbons started today and may be the LG2, but would have to be a polished diamond to start.
                                        Spears, the injured DL? Ouch

OC -
                                        Correll.
                                        But really needs a super-solid 2, given the impact the loss of Patterson had post-season 2020 and given the importance of the OC for pre-snap set-up.
                                        If thatīs Kristofic (same year as Correll), fantastic.
                                        If it is Quinn Murphy (PWO) or Coogan, well, ouch.

RG - Lugg (great)
                                        RG 2 - Spindler (fantastic)

RT - ??
                                        It can not be John Dirksen, who started today. Not for a double-digit-win team.
                                        Carroll? He has had development time, but no playing time that I am aware of.
                                        Fisher? We all want that. But no development time (Robert Hainsey says hello).
                                        Carmody? - Kristofic?

Anyway, thatīs why I agree with Luckylucci.
                                        RT has to be the focus, not just Lugg holding the place temporarily.
                                        "We don't have enough female role models. We don't have enough visible women leaders. We don't have enough women in power." - Muffet McGraw

Comment

I think we're holding RT tryouts at LT because Patterson is a one year plug. I.E. we can find next year's LT this spring and stash him at RT this year. Also, with Patterson and lugg having injury history I like letting people get practice in those positions in case they go down in season.

The fact Kristofic is taking reps at center as well makes me believe he'll be our super back up.

Patterson carroll/gibbons correll lugg baker is my guess
                                          Last edited by NDdomer2; 03-28-2021, 12:18 AM.
                                          Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                            I think we're holding RT tryouts at LT because Patterson is a one year plug. I.E. we can find next year's LT this spring and stash him at RT this year. Also, with Patterson and lugg having injury history I like letting people get results in those positions in case they go down in season.

The fact Kristofic is taking reps at center as well makes me believe he'll be our super back up.

Patterson carroll/gibbons correll lugg baker is my guess
                                            This was my assumption as well. That Baker was not just filling in as backup LT, rather a option at RT (or Baker LT with Patterson RT, but a starting spot regardless)
                                            Last edited by Dale; 03-28-2021, 12:50 AM.

Comment

So, your first time starting RT is repping at LT because we need to get our 3rd and 4th OG’s on the field. These are all first time starters. Why not just get them in place now. Or, why not put Baker at RT and Lugg at LT if Lugg isn’t going to play either one and Baker is? So Baker can get reps at LT in advance of the ‘22 season because he won’t have two full camps to do that?

Comment

So, your first time starting RT is repping at LT because we need to get our 3rd and 4th OG’s on the field. These are all first time starters. Why not just get them in place now. Or, why not put Baker at RT and Lugg at LT if Lugg isn’t going to play either one and Baker is? So Baker can get reps at LT in advance of the ‘22 season because he won’t have two full camps to do that?
                                                Not sure why you continue to speak definitively that backup OGs are getting 1st team reps when the whole point is it’s practice and we DON’T KNOW definitively who is going to start and where. Of course it’d be bizarre if we 100% knew a backup OG was getting 1st team reps. But we don’t know who’s a backup and who’s a starter yet. That’s the thing trying to get figured out lol

I think we are pretty big disconnect still and I’m inclined to side w/ Quinn so I’ll drop it at that lol

Comment

And so the overanalyzing of 3 minutes of film and a hand full of tweets begins lol.

See, the media blackout has had zero impact to the yearly board spring discussion.

Practice, not even fall practice, or a game. Spring practice....
                                                  lol

Comment

Not sure why you continue to speak definitively that backup OGs are getting 1st team reps when the whole point is it’s practice and we DON’T KNOW definitively who is going to start and where. Of course it’d be bizarre if we 100% knew a backup OG was getting 1st team reps. But we don’t know who’s a backup and who’s a starter yet. That’s the thing trying to get figured out lol

I think we are pretty big disconnect still and I’m inclined to side w/ Quinn so I’ll drop it at that lol
                                                    Kelly literally told us the 3 guys expecting to start and the two spots that are open. Can’t make it easier for you than that. But, this isn’t going anywhere so let’s see how it plays out.

Comment

Kelly literally told us the 3 guys expecting to start and the two spots that are open. Can’t make it easier for you than that. But, this isn’t going anywhere so let’s see how it plays out.
                                                      What you just said doesn’t even come close to providing a point against what I said, which is how I know you’re still not even trying to understand my point but you win bud. I’m missing the easy stuff here and Quinn’s Day 1 OL he trotted out is bizarre

Comment

Kelly said Patterson would be a tackle, but did he specify LEFT tackle?

I'm hoping he’s an option at RT... if you’ve only got him for a year, I’d rather it be RT, allowing them to get a multi-year starter installed at LT.

Maybe that’s why Lugg is working at RT... they’d rather focus on potential LT’s, knowing that Patterson can fit in as a bookend on either side, and that Lugg will kick inside if they find a suitable LT. That leaves just one guard position to figure out... and it looks like Gibbons gets first shot.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                          Kelly said Patterson would be a tackle, but did he specify LEFT tackle?

I'm hoping he’s an option at RT... if you’ve only got him for a year, I’d rather it be RT, allowing them to get a multi-year starter installed at LT.

Maybe that’s why Lugg is working at RT... they’d rather focus on potential LT’s, knowing that Patterson can fit in as a bookend on either side, and that Lugg will kick inside if they find a suitable LT. That leaves just one guard position to figure out... and it looks like Gibbons gets first shot.
                                                          That would would make some sense. And you are right, Kelly did not specify which tackle spot is up for grabs. If they are using RG as a way to audition LG’s as well it makes sense as long we don’t have a RT sitting there watching. In this case we do but he’s injured. That I’d be on board with.

But, now you got my hopes up that Baker is going to be the LT. And then Patterson following in Hanisey’s footsteps as undersized RT technicians.

Comment

anyone know the clip this is referring to? I watched the practice highlights and couldn’t identify. It’s so zoomed in.

Comment

anyone know the clip this is referring to? I watched the practice highlights and couldn’t identify. It’s so zoomed in.
                                                              right at the end at 2:54
                                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

BK today:

I know you guys kind of look at the video we send out and I would try to be careful to not look too far into, 'this is the starting lineup.' We're really trying to build position flexibility right now. You know, Josh Lugg is playing guard, and he's playing tackle. (Michael) Carmody is playing center and was playing tackle. You know, (Andrew) Kristofic is playing center and guard.”

"I'm using the offensive line as an example because with those guys, we're trying to build a lot of positional flexibility there.
                                                                and the more notable:

But Blake Fisher at left tackle with Tosh Baker. That's an interesting one, right?
                                                                Interesting to me, while earlier talking about flexibility and just testing guys out, this seemed to signal a specific 2 person battle

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...2/#163603702_1

Comment

Expanding on BKs comments and saw talk from Prister:

- Carmody and Kristofic both mentioned as cross training at C, likely looking for a 2C. Kristofic though reportedly has “caught attention” when at RG.

- Prister shared the sentiment that it sounds like 2 OT spots are Patterson and Baker/Fisher

Patterson - Lugg - Correll - Kristofic - Baker/Fisher

Fisher/Baker - Gibbons/Spindler - Carmody - Dirksen - Carroll

Feels like a solid plan if that’s how it works out. With possibility of flipping sides Left and Right for both tackle and guard spots. Also circling back on Lugg, starting to feel like him being at OG instead of RT is more due to the staff feeling pretty good about Baker, and now Fisher...

Comment

Expanding on BKs comments and saw talk from Prister:

- Carmody and Kristofic both mentioned as cross training at C, likely looking for a 2C. Kristofic though reportedly has “caught attention” when at RG.

- Prister shared the sentiment that it sounds like 2 OT spots are Patterson and Baker/Fisher

Patterson - Lugg - Correll - Kristofic - Baker/Fisher

Fisher/Baker - Gibbons/Spindler - Carmody - Dirksen - Carroll

Feels like a solid plan if that’s how it works out. With possibility of flipping sides Left and Right for both tackle and guard spots. Also circling back on Lugg, starting to feel like him being at OG instead of RT is more due to the staff feeling pretty good about Baker, and now Fisher...
                                                                    I think Blake will play this year either at RT or one of the guard spots. I think the most likely situation is that he plays guard with Baker at OT. Regardless, the OL will be a LOT worse than last year which means the passing game needs to take a step forward.

Comment

I think they want the season to start like this:

LT: Baker/Blake
                                                                      LG: Lugg
                                                                      C: Correll
                                                                      RG: Kristofic
                                                                      RG: Patterson

...with Blake taking over at LG or RT and Patterson sliding over if necessary.

However, if Baker or Blake can’t hold LT, I think it could be:
                                                                      LT: Patterson
                                                                      LG: Blake
                                                                      C: Correll
                                                                      RG: Lugg/Kristofic
                                                                      RT: Kristofic/Lugg

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Left Tackle
                                                                        Joe Alt 6-7 280 Fr.
                                                                        Left Guard
                                                                        Center
                                                                        Pat Coogan 6-5 310 Fr.
                                                                        Right Guard
                                                                        Right Tackle
                                                                        75 Josh Lugg 6-7 310 Gr.
                                                                        for comparison

current NDI
                                                                        Left Tackle
                                                                        Joe Alt 6-7 280 Fr.
                                                                        Left Guard
                                                                        Center
                                                                        Pat Coogan 6-5 310 Fr.
                                                                        Right Guard
                                                                        75 Josh Lugg 6-7 310 Gr.
                                                                        Right Tackle
                                                                        75 Josh Lugg 6-7 310 Gr.

Comment

I mentioned in the spring practice thread that I liked how Fisher looked in today's video at LT. He's going to make it very interesting and if they think he's capable might allow us to keep Patterson at center. I know a lot of us think he's penciled at tackle but I really liked him at center last year and was super bummed when he went down. That absolutely killed us for the second Clemson game. Going to be fun to watch the spring game this year and watch the big fellas up front

Comment

Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                            I mentioned in the spring practice thread that I liked how Fisher looked in today's video at LT. He's going to make it very interesting and if they think he's capable might allow us to keep Patterson at center. I know a lot of us think he's penciled at tackle but I really liked him at center last year and was super bummed when he went down. That absolutely killed us for the second Clemson game. Going to be fun to watch the spring game this year and watch the big fellas up front
                                                                            If Baker and Fisher both show up, who gets bumped, Correll or Lugg?
                                                                            Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 04-12-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• #88
                                                                              I think, regardless of what the lineup will be, we will have a very tough OL. If we can keep the same 5 out there all year (IF), we will see some great growth throughout the season. Even if we have to shake it up, it could serve to benefit the unit for the next season

Comment

• #89
                                                                                Originally posted by Domina Nostra View Post

If Baker and Fisher both show up, who gets bumped, Correll or Lugg?
                                                                                If it's a push in regards to talent then Lugg because he can always serve the backup role and let the younger guys get the experience they need in order to get us more ready for the future.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                Working...
                                                                                X