2021 Offensive Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Offensive Line

We're about to hit the pre-Spring slow period... what better time for a position battles thread! And maybe one where we can later vent our frustrations or join in celebration during the '21 season, depending on how the four new starters perform.

Here's a good primer from Jamie U. at ISD: https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14098...offensive-line

Graduates:
    Joshua Lugg
    Dillan Gibbons

Rising Seniors:
    Jarrett Patterson
    John Dirksen

Rising Juniors:
    Zeke Correll
    Hunter Spears
    Andrew Kristofic
    Quinn Carroll

Rising Sophomores:
    Michael Carmody
    Tosh Baker

Freshmen:
    Blake Fisher
    Rocco Spindler
    Caleb Johnson
    Joe Alt
    Pat Coogan

Patterson can move around, but it's currently popular for the beat guys to project him as a LT. Lugg has experience everywhere, but is probably best suited at RT based on how he played there in '19. Gibbons has experience and is a guard. Kristofic and Carroll were listed as backup LT and RT last year, but weren't actually used as such when it mattered.

Current projection based on the ND Beat Writer Hivemind:

LT: Patterson
    LG: ???
    C: Correll
    RG: ???
    RT: Lugg

Who fills in? Who gets shuffled?

I get a feeling Fisher is gonna get a chance to lock down one of the guard jobs from day one, unless they think he moves well enough to be a RT immediately. And it sounds like Carroll and Kristofic could both play at guard as well if necessary.

There's a lot to sort out, and much if it probably begins with Quinn figuring out just how comfortable he is with Patterson and Lugg as LT/RT.

Both guard spots wide open. Looks like about 4-5 guys going to battle it out for 2 spots.
    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Why Correll at starting center? Is he a better Center than Patterson? Is he the 3rd best O lineman on the roster? Is he one of the top 5 lineman on the team?

The answer to these questions could be an emphatic YES, but IMO there is a lot of talent in the Oline room to sort out before removing Patterson, who would be a pre season AA, from Center.

Baker
      Carroll
      Patterson
      Lugg
      Kristofic

Maybe an amazing starting 5.

Comment

I'm on board with Lugg at RT and agree with most that he played quite well there in 2019.

I have mixed feelings about Patterson at LT. I like the general idea of getting the best 5 on the field. So, that means Baker will be in competition with his ability to play LT versus some other players ability to play guard.

But, I also think OL is about reps and these guys need game reps to build towards something. If they move Patterson to LT then it's probably for 2 years. This means that it's 2 years from Baker being the LT. Not sure that's best for the program in 22'. Maybe Baker does the McGlinchey where he takes over at RT for Lugg and moves to LT for Patterson in 23' but I don't see any way we're maxing out talent without getting Baker on the field soon.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdog View Post
          Why Correll at starting center? Is he a better Center than Patterson? Is he the 3rd best O lineman on the roster? Is he one of the top 5 lineman on the team?

The answer to these questions could be an emphatic YES, but IMO there is a lot of talent in the Oline room to sort out before removing Patterson, who would be a pre season AA, from Center.

Baker
          Carroll
          Patterson
          Lugg
          Kristofic

Maybe an amazing starting 5.
          It seems that most project him at LT because it's easy to put your best OL there, especially with another capable center on the roster like Correll (and also because Patterson was a backup LT in '19).

I agree with you in general, especially since guys like Baker, Carroll and Kirstofic will all benefit from a legitimate Spring period, which will undoubtedly change things. It just seems to be the most obvious projection right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
            I'm on board with Lugg at RT and agree with most that he played quite well there in 2019.

I have mixed feelings about Patterson at LT. I like the general idea of getting the best 5 on the field. So, that means Baker will be in competition with his ability to play LT versus some other players ability to play guard.

But, I also think OL is about reps and these guys need game reps to build towards something. If they move Patterson to LT then it's probably for 2 years. This means that it's 2 years from Baker being the LT. Not sure that's best for the program in 22'. Maybe Baker does the McGlinchey where he takes over at RT for Lugg and moves to LT for Patterson in 23' but I don't see any way we're maxing out talent without getting Baker on the field soon.
            Patterson at RT unlocks a bunch of room for younger guys, but also blocks Carroll from what appears to be his most natural position.

LT: Baker/Kristofic
            LG: Kristofic/Carroll/FROSH
            RG: Lugg/Gibbons/FROSH
            RT: Patterson

Comment

Just Curious...why would Patterson want to change positions to go into a much deeper pool of competition at Tackle, when he can go into the draft as possibly the highest rated Center on the board. If he went in the top 2-3 rounds as the number 1 center, he would make a lot more money over his career than a Tackle taken later in the draft, if he is taken at all.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                Patterson at RT unlocks a bunch of room for younger guys, but also blocks Carroll from what appears to be his most natural position.

LG: Kristofic/Carroll/FROSH
                RG: Lugg/Gibbons/FROSH
                RT: Patterson
                I'll preface this by saying the obvious that there is a lot I don't know or get to see. And, I'm kind of all over the place on this one but I'll go with this. Lugg has to play RT as he just hasn't been the same at any of the other spots. Due to that I don't think we can afford to put Patterson at another OT spot because it handicaps the future development of both positions.

So, what I'd like to see them start Spring practice with or focus on would be:

LG: Patterson/Fisher
                RG: Gibbons/Carroll
                RT: Lugg/Carroll

And, FWIW, NDInsider updated it's depth chart to include Patterson at LT. Don't know if it means anything but it's interesting when you take into account how confident ISD and II seem to be about Patterson at LT.

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/depthchart/

Comment

On one of the Irish Illustrated pods a week or so ago, they threw out the idea of taking an OL transfer, probably for a guard spot. The logic is to bring in more competition, but specifically more experience. If you can bring a guy in with 20+ starts who's looking to upgrade (think the IU tackle who transferred to Iowa last year), then you take him and only worry about 1 guard spot.

So with that said, are there any good guards in the transfer portal?

Comment

I think bumping Lugg in sounds like taking a strength and turning it in to a possible weakness, or lack of strength might be better term. Patterson has shown the ability to excel inside and reportedly can outside, so I’d rather maneuver him than Lugg

Comment

I think the idea of keeping Patterson at center and having Lugg be your RT which allows for a new LT to develop seems the best way to go. Butter beat is putting Patterson at LT already which probably means that’s the coaching staff’s prioritiy at the moment.
                      Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                        I think bumping Lugg in sounds like taking a strength and turning it in to a possible weakness, or lack of strength might be better term. Patterson has shown the ability to excel inside and reportedly can outside, so I’d rather maneuver him than Lugg
                        I’d write Patterson in pencil at LT while Lugg and Zeke in pen at RT and C

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdog View Post
                          Just Curious...why would Patterson want to change positions to go into a much deeper pool of competition at Tackle, when he can go into the draft as possibly the highest rated Center on the board. If he went in the top 2-3 rounds as the number 1 center, he would make a lot more money over his career than a Tackle taken later in the draft, if he is taken at all.
                          And, FWIW, NDInsider updated it's depth chart to include Patterson at LT. Don't know if it means anything but it's interesting when you take into account how confident ISD and II seem to be about Patterson at LT.

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/depthchart/
                          Maybe BK/Quinn have sold him on the 'Zack Martin' mold, where you can be a do-everything OL that makes a lot of money getting drafted by an NFL team that will plug you wherever they need you.

If he can go from C to LT and maintain a good PFF rating despite not having elite measurables, that's exactly the comparison that will be made, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                            On one of the Irish Illustrated pods a week or so ago, they threw out the idea of taking an OL transfer, probably for a guard spot. The logic is to bring in more competition, but specifically more experience. If you can bring a guy in with 20+ starts who's looking to upgrade (think the IU tackle who transferred to Iowa last year), then you take him and only worry about 1 guard spot.

So with that said, are there any good guards in the transfer portal?
                            Not really on board with that. Just doesn't make much sense. Need more competition? If the gaps are marginal then I stick in house and build towards the future. If they are not then it's a coach, development, eval issue.

If we can't coach this group (loaded depth chart) up then we need to find a new coach. That is unless we missed on a lot of those evals at which point then we probably need a new coach.

Comment

Not really on board with that. Just doesn't make much sense. Need more competition? If the gaps are marginal then I stick in house and build towards the future. If they are not then it's a coach, development, eval issue.

If we can't coach this group (loaded depth chart) up then we need to find a new coach. That is unless we missed on a lot of those evals at which point then we probably need a new coach.
                              I think the bigger PRO is the added experience. Starts on the OL matter, and though '21 is a rebuilding year anyways, bringing in a guy with 2 years of starting experience to shore up a guard spot and, along with Patterson and Lugg, teach the younger guys would be huge.

Next year the line brings back what, 8 (Lugg) + 8 (Patterson) + 2 (Correll) + 2? (Gibbons) starts in total? Those numbers might be off by 1 or 2, particularly Gibbons, but doubling the amount of starts you have by bringing in a guy at a position of need would be good for next year.

Comment

I think the bigger PRO is the added experience. Starts on the OL matter, and though '21 is a rebuilding year anyways, bringing in a guy with 2 years of starting experience to shore up a guard spot and, along with Patterson and Lugg, teach the younger guys would be huge.

Next year the line brings back what, 8 (Lugg) + 8 (Patterson) + 2 (Correll) + 2? (Gibbons) starts in total? Those numbers might be off by 1 or 2, particularly Gibbons, but doubling the amount of starts you have by bringing in a guy at a position of need would be good for next year.
                                Correct. That's the point. In doing this, you are ensuring that 2 OL spots don't get starting experience for 22' (Lugg+Transfer). At which point you are "rebuilding" 2 spots on the OL next offseason as well. We should try and settle as much of this as possible this offseason, for next. Otherwise you are always rebuilding.

Starts are important and the only way to get those is to get them on the field.

Edit: I'll add this to say that if you think this team is 1 OL away from being a true playoff contender and championship squad then yes, I'm totally on board with that. Anything else just delays the inevitable.
                                Last edited by Luckylucci; 01-22-2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I would prefer to keep Patterson at C, but if they are writing and discussing him moving, then they are hearing something from the staff.

I would have no problem bring in a transfer with a lot of experience. At this level, you don't want to rebuild, you want to maintain and keep your place in the top 10. It may not be like Bama, OSU or Clemson, but you need to stay up there in the rankings to help your recruiting and better your chances of getting one or two 5 star kids.

Comment

We're about to hit the pre-Spring slow period... what better time for a position battles thread! And maybe one where we can later vent our frustrations or join in celebration during the '21 season, depending on how the four new starters perform.

Here's a good primer from Jamie U. at ISD: https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14098...offensive-line

Graduates:
                                    Joshua Lugg
                                    Dillan Gibbons

Rising Seniors:
                                    Jarrett Patterson
                                    John Dirksen

Rising Juniors:
                                    Zeke Correll
                                    Hunter Spears
                                    Andrew Kristofic
                                    Quinn Carroll

Rising Sophomores:
                                    Michael Carmody
                                    Tosh Baker

Freshmen:
                                    Blake Fisher
                                    Rocco Spindler
                                    Caleb Johnson
                                    Joe Alt
                                    Pat Coogan

Patterson can move around, but it's currently popular for the beat guys to project him as a LT. Lugg has experience everywhere, but is probably best suited at RT based on how he played there in '19. Gibbons has experience and is a guard. Kristofic and Carroll were listed as backup LT and RT last year, but weren't actually used as such when it mattered.

Current projection based on the ND Beat Writer Hivemind:

LG: ???
                                    RG: ???

Who fills in? Who gets shuffled?

I get a feeling Fisher is gonna get a chance to lock down one of the guard jobs from day one, unless they think he moves well enough to be a RT immediately. And it sounds like Carroll and Kristofic could both play at guard as well if necessary.

There's a lot to sort out, and much if it probably begins with Quinn figuring out just how comfortable he is with Patterson and Lugg as LT/RT.
                                    crazy that this group is juniors and we havent really seen them at all, and still might not.
                                    Prehistoric

Comment

Nothing is certain, except maybe Lugg at RT. Patterson is probably our best OLM, and he'll be out for the spring so we might not clarity till August.

I think everybody on the list except Johnson, Alt and Coogan are possible day one starters.

Comment

Correct. That's the point. In doing this, you are ensuring that 2 OL spots don't get starting experience for 22' (Lugg+Transfer). At which point you are "rebuilding" 2 spots on the OL next offseason as well. We should try and settle as much of this as possible this offseason, for next. Otherwise you are always rebuilding.

Starts are important and the only way to get those is to get them on the field.

Edit: I'll add this to say that if you think this team is 1 OL away from being a true playoff contender and championship squad then yes, I'm totally on board with that. Anything else just delays the inevitable.
                                        I wouldn’t get too hung up on the starts. If we bring in an OL that will start but also rotate with a younger player then I think the situation is a win. Let the younger guy get tons of reps for the future with having a reliable linemen when needed.

Comment

I'm hoping Baker can take over one of the OT's next season. So Patterson at the other OT, Correll at OC, Lugg at one of the OG's and Carrol or Gibbons at the other OG.

Not gonna waste much time on going over it because there's enough talent for Quinn to put together a Top 10 line while him and Balis work on the '22 line of:

LT - Baker
                                          LG - Rocco/Fish
                                          C - Correll
                                          RG - Fish/Rocco
                                          RT - ____/Alt

Weird realization finally setting in: Quinn Carroll may never start at ND.

I would've bet it all that that was absolutely impossible when he committed.

Comment

will throw this kid in there as a potential grad transfer OG:
                                            https://gocrimson.com/sports/footbal...c-wilson/22175

he was committed to transfer to Auburn but backed out when Malzahn was canned

he's visiting a couple of P5 programs including PSU recently

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For the brand <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RollCrim?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RollCr im</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FiveStrong?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Five Strong</a> Eric Wilson &#39;21 Harvard Football Highlights #68 <a href="https://t.co/GLXxm0pwFv">https://t.co/GLXxm0pwFv</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/YouTube?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@YouTube</a></p>&mdash; Eric Wilson (@ejwilson38) <a href="https://twitter.com/ejwilson38/status/1285668014189420546?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                            Last edited by dublinirish; 01-25-2021, 05:03 PM.
                                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

Are we sure he'd be a good culture fit?

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                I'm hoping Baker can take over one of the OT's next season. So Patterson at the other OT, Correll at OC, Lugg at one of the OG's and Carrol or Gibbons at the other OG.

Not gonna waste much time on going over it because there's enough talent for Quinn to put together a Top 10 line while him and Balis work on the '22 line of:

LT - Baker
                                                LG - Rocco/Fish
                                                C - Correll
                                                RG - Fish/Rocco
                                                RT - ____/Alt

Weird realization finally setting in: Quinn Carroll may never start at ND.

I would've bet it all that that was absolutely impossible when he committed.
                                                If this were the NCAA football video game, I'd go with your '22 line THIS YEAR for sake of in-season attribute increases lol.

LT - Baker
                                                LG - Fisher
                                                C- Correll
                                                RG - Spindler
                                                RT - Patterson

Just embrace the youth... it works in video games!

Comment

I have no insight on this coming OLine --- we almost never got to hear any short clip revealing comments about the vast majority of these guys. The staff obviously likes Lugg and must feel just the same about Correll or he would have never been considered. About the others: we have "bench veterans" who have been praised prior to last season, but silence during the fall and games as the iron five got the talk. I have to assume that praise a year and a half ago still amounts to some positive feelings by the staff. Kristovic would especially fit that characterization. Gibbons always surprises me as a guy that the staff trusts to do a workman's job, though not a Joe Moore Award one. ... and we heard good things about Carroll occasionally. The younger guns have lots of hype. I'll assume that they deserve it.

What does that leave us with? I think (softly) that this means that we're actually loaded. What these guys need is reps, experience picking up the tricky blitzes, guard-tackle two-partner dancing. I can't believe there will be any lack of violence, they all saw what Eichenberg and Kraemer (and Q and McGlinchey before them) were about. I really doubt that the Drive them to the ground attitude will leave that OLine room. And we know how to coach OLine. We are still one of the Gold Standard schools for technique (Notice how Alex Bars and Sam Mustipher fared in the NFL despite people saying that they'd never make it.)

We've got talent, coaching, brains. I believe that we have attitude. We just need contact reps. My amateur suggestion would be NOT to think about "future years", but to get the monsters all out there and let the violence fly. Find who is a little bit better --- they're all good. If it's a frosh, OK. We've seen frosh start at the highest levels (remember the left tackle on that Alabama line which had Warmack, Fluker, and Jones playing against Big Lou et al. Saban started that freshman.) I wouldn't give up on the concept of us having a kick-a$$ OLine next season --- just maybe not top-eight.

Comment

If this were the NCAA football video game, I'd go with your '22 line THIS YEAR for sake of in-season attribute increases lol.

LT - Baker
                                                    LG - Fisher
                                                    C- Correll
                                                    RG - Spindler
                                                    RT - Patterson

NCAA 14 101: start any freshman at a level 80+ OVR over any upperclassman who is <88 OVR.

Pays huge dividends. It's just science.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                                                      I have no insight on this coming OLine --- we almost never got to hear any short clip revealing comments about the vast majority of these guys. The staff obviously likes Lugg and must feel just the same about Correll or he would have never been considered. About the others: we have "bench veterans" who have been praised prior to last season, but silence during the fall and games as the iron five got the talk. I have to assume that praise a year and a half ago still amounts to some positive feelings by the staff. Kristovic would especially fit that characterization. Gibbons always surprises me as a guy that the staff trusts to do a workman's job, though not a Joe Moore Award one. ... and we heard good things about Carroll occasionally. The younger guns have lots of hype. I'll assume that they deserve it.

What does that leave us with? I think (softly) that this means that we're actually loaded. What these guys need is reps, experience picking up the tricky blitzes, guard-tackle two-partner dancing. I can't believe there will be any lack of violence, they all saw what Eichenberg and Kraemer (and Q and McGlinchey before them) were about. I really doubt that the Drive them to the ground attitude will leave that OLine room. And we know how to coach OLine. We are still one of the Gold Standard schools for technique (Notice how Alex Bars and Sam Mustipher fared in the NFL despite people saying that they'd never make it.)

We've got talent, coaching, brains. I believe that we have attitude. We just need contact reps. My amateur suggestion would be NOT to think about "future years", but to get the monsters all out there and let the violence fly. Find who is a little bit better --- they're all good. If it's a frosh, OK. We've seen frosh start at the highest levels (remember the left tackle on that Alabama line which had Warmack, Fluker, and Jones playing against Big Lou et al. Saban started that freshman.) I wouldn't give up on the concept of us having a kick-a$$ OLine next season --- just maybe not top-eight.
                                                      Agree 1000%.

I think the OL can be pretty good. This is Notre Dame we're talking, if the staff has all offseason to prepare they should be able to get guys prepared to play at a high level. They don't need to be all-Americans, but I really don't expect OL to be a liability with how well the program has recruited.

And I don't think it can be emphasized enough, the best thing that can happen for the offense is for the QB to be able to make some one-step throws and use the whole field. IMO the offense will only be in danger of catastrophe if they cannot develop a passing game and we're think that Kyren Williams and the rookie OL will fin 10+ games. Because they won't get it done and I'm not sure that's the OL's fault.

Comment

LT - Baker
                                                        LG - Fisher
                                                        C- Correll
                                                        RG - Spindler
                                                        RT - Patterson

Man, this is where I'm at. Normally I am completely against any freshman starting on the OL, it's one position group that just doesn't lend itself to early play time. You typically want time for these guys to get their footwork down, put on weight, grow into the position, etc. Fish just seems so damn deadly in his game clips though, he just puts people on their asses and doesn't seem to really get beat. The future is bright, I think he's the next Quenton Nelson. I hope he lives up to the hype.

Comment

I think Lugg and Correll are pretty much set in their spot at RT and C respectively.

Patterson is a guy who can excel at literally every position. You have the luxury of essentially putting him where you need him.

For me, this is how I see it:

LT: Baker
                                                          LG: Patterson
                                                          RG: Carroll

OR:

LG: Kristofic/Fisher
                                                          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post

Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                                                            Agree 1000%.

I think the OL can be pretty good. This is Notre Dame we're talking, if the staff has all offseason to prepare they should be able to get guys prepared to play at a high level. They don't need to be all-Americans, but I really don't expect OL to be a liability with how well the program has recruited.

And I don't think it can be emphasized enough, the best thing that can happen for the offense is for the QB to be able to make some one-step throws and use the whole field. IMO the offense will only be in danger of catastrophe if they cannot develop a passing game and we're think that Kyren Williams and the rookie OL will fin 10+ games. Because they won't get it done and I'm not sure that's the OL's fault.
                                                            Of course there will be growing pains, but I've got faith that Quinn (and Rees, however much say he has) will find a combo that works, even it takes some early shuffling just to make sure everyone gets a chance.

And, for what seems like the first time in a while, ND will have the benefit of having a RB that makes his OL better, rather than the opposite.

This is no slander towards Adams/Prosise/Williams/etc., but Kyren finds lanes and running room where previous ND backs couldn't. Of course Adams, Williams and others could make big plays based on their own talents, but they ultimately benefited from the OL more than anything.

Kyren obviously benefited from a great OL last year... but he also made more plays on his own in terms of making tacklers miss than any RB we've had since Theo Riddick.

So while it will take time for the OL to gel, the big uglies will get the benefit of knowing that Kyren is going to cover their asses and make the first tackler miss far more often than not. And that's nice.

Comment

Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                              will throw this kid in there as a potential grad transfer OG:
                                                              https://gocrimson.com/sports/footbal...c-wilson/22175

he was committed to transfer to Auburn but backed out when Malzahn was canned

he's visiting a couple of P5 programs including PSU recently

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For the brand <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RollCrim?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RollCr im</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FiveStrong?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Five Strong</a> Eric Wilson '21 Harvard Football Highlights #68 <a href="https://t.co/GLXxm0pwFv">https://t.co/GLXxm0pwFv</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/YouTube?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@YouTube</a></p>&mdash; Eric Wilson (@ejwilson38) <a href="https://twitter.com/ejwilson38/status/1285668014189420546?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Harvard grad transfer OL Eric Wilson has committed to Penn State <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WeAre?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WeAre</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/rivalsmike?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@rivalsmike</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/RivalsWoody?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RivalsWoody</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/NateBauerBWI?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NateBauerBWI</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/RivalsSnyder?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RivalsSnyder</a> <a href="https://t.co/H7vLoFey3H">https://t.co/H7vLoFey3H</a></p>&mdash; NCAA Transfer Portal (@RivalsPortal) <a href="https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1354429278973288448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                                                I think Lugg and Correll are pretty much set in their spot at RT and C respectively.

Patterson is a guy who can excel at literally every position. You have the luxury of essentially putting him where you need him.

OR:

I vote for the bolded, if it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

OR:

THIS, is where I am at right now. Unless Baker just isn't ready and Quinn knows a lot more then we do. Patterson has 1 3/4 years of film at Center, so if that is his best NFL position, people have seen it. To me as well as he did on the inside, I would like to see him at LG. If Zeke struggles, gets hurt, JP slides right back in.
                                                                  " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                                    THIS, is where I am at right now. Unless Baker just isn't ready and Quinn knows a lot more then we do. Patterson has 1 3/4 years of film at Center, so if that is his best NFL position, people have seen it. To me as well as he did on the inside, I would like to see him at LG. If Zeke struggles, gets hurt, JP slides right back in.
                                                                    This was something I thought of yesterday, if Patterson is LT and Zeke gets hurt, who's his backup? Do you make Dillon Gibbons spend all offseason snapping the ball? Because you don't want to move your LT if unnecessary. I'd typically prefer a backup LG step in than the backup LT.

Comment

Comment

Buchner, Carmody, and Baker on the right. He looks college ready. If it’s close, I think you gotta go with the Sophomore at LT.

Comment

Buchner, Carmody, and Baker on the right. He looks college ready. If it’s close, I think you gotta go with the Sophomore at LT.
                                                                          Where you finding these pics? Thanks for posting them btw

Comment

Various social media accounts of the players. ND media takes them and then gives them to the players to post.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              II podcast from last week high on Carroll to get the RG spot
                                                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                II podcast from last week high on Carroll to get the RG spot
                                                                                This is excellent news. Hope we hear of major competition from the young guys, we need some "ahead of schedule" guys. I guess Carroll would just be "on schedule" but hopefully one of Baker, Carmody, or the true freshman are also fighting for a starting spot.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  That would be great news. Carroll would be ideal as it give us another guy with multiple years.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

This is excellent news. Hope we hear of major competition from the young guys, we need some "ahead of schedule" guys. I guess Carroll would just be "on schedule" but hopefully one of Baker, Carmody, or the true freshman are also fighting for a starting spot.
                                                                                    That would be great news. Carroll would be ideal as it give us another guy with multiple years.
                                                                                    I'm hoping Fisher is ready to compete right away... he looks like he could be a carbon-copy of Aaron Banks, both in size and playing ability. A mammoth guard that is good enough to play outside if needed. If he's ready, plug him in and let him be a mainstay for three/four years.
                                                                                    Last edited by Luckylucci; 03-22-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Baker, Patterson, Correll, Carroll, Lugg.

Comment

• #44

I'm hoping Fisher is ready to compete right away... he looks like he could be a carbon-copy of Aaron Banks, both in size and playing ability. A mammoth guard that is good enough to play outside if needed. If he's ready, plug him in and let him be a mainstay for three/four years.
                                                                                        sorry I meant to quote the post and instead edited it. Baby brain I suppose.

I’m hoping for a youth movement, to some degree, along the OL. So, I’m right there with ya. The more guys that are ready the better for competition so I hope he’s ready as well. He looks great physically. Seems to have dropped some of the bad weight already. I just don’t know if it’ll be this year with the guys in front of him.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post

I vote for the bolded, if it works out.
                                                                                          Buster Bluth = BB = Bilbo Baggins?

Trait Expectations = Pai Mei = Veritate Duce Progredi?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Buster Bluth = BB = Bilbo Baggins?

Trait Expectations = Pai Mei = Veritate Duce Progredi?

Seconded. We need our top men on this.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Not sure if it was ISD or not, but one of the recent pod casts, they seemed to think/hear that Patterson was going to LT, and Gibbons was the front runner for the LG spot. Seemed to think Dirksen could be the front runner for the RG spot as well. I could be making the last part up, or confusing myself (happens a lot). So putting together the best I can from the PODs they seem to think it will look like

LG: Gibbons
                                                                                              RG: Carroll/Drik
                                                                                              " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                                                                Not sure if it was ISD or not, but one of the recent pod casts, they seemed to think/hear that Patterson was going to LT, and Gibbons was the front runner for the LG spot. Seemed to think Dirksen could be the front runner for the RG spot as well. I could be making the last part up, or confusing myself (happens a lot). So putting together the best I can from the PODs they seem to think it will look like

LG: Gibbons
                                                                                                RG: Carroll/Drik
                                                                                                Tim Prister of II was the only person I've heard talk about Dirksen at all recently, so you're probably thinking of him. I think in last week's podcast they acknowledged that Dirksen will get 'first crack" but as others have mentioned, Quinn Carroll would be expected to beat out Dirksen. It's too bad, I was rooting for the kid from the small Ohio farm town

Comment

• #49

Tim Prister of II was the only person I've heard talk about Dirksen at all recently, so you're probably thinking of him. I think in last week's podcast they acknowledged that Dirksen will get 'first crack" but as others have mentioned, Quinn Carroll would be expected to beat out Dirksen. It's too bad, I was rooting for the kid from the small Ohio farm town
                                                                                                  And, I think he's a good player. He's the type of guy that I could easily start on a quality Big10 team. He's just in competition with some really good players.

Comment

• #50

And, I think he's a good player. He's the type of guy that I could easily start on a quality Big10 team. He's just in competition with some really good players.
                                                                                                    Kinda surprised he didn't grad transfer somewhere. Perhaps that's coming soon? Not that I want the kid outta South Bend, it's just surprising that he doesn't want the opportunity to go be a starter somewhere.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X