No announcement yet.

Potential DB/Secondaries Coach Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though his title was still Analyst, Loy has repeatedly referred to him as coaching OLBs this year, so considering he was a step below an official on field position coach, I guess this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise

Comment

I’m happy to go with a young and hungry coach, but if we were going to stay in house and promote an LB coach to coach safeties, why wasn’t Nick L in consideration?

Comment

Staying in-house and not going with Cooks. Interesting...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
          Staying in-house and not going with Cooks. Interesting...

Maybe Cooks really likes where he sits right now. Get to know MF and can be ready to pounce as part of the staff when MF takes over.
          I used to be D-BOE34 but I can't login for some reason. Will someone donate some vBucks?

Comment

May turn out to be great hire but big meh from me.
            Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by DONALDIII View Post
              Maybe Cooks really likes where he sits right now. Get to know MF and can be ready to pounce as part of the staff when MF takes over.
              You're suggesting Cooks passed up a coaching gig so he could get a coaching gig on the same staff...but later?

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                I'd be surprised if Elston left, but not sure about Cooks. He's the favorite IMO, but just surprised they haven't already announced. The longer it takes IMO, the more I think they go with someone else.
                Agree, Cooks could have been a done deal by now. Freeman's looking for someone that shares similar philosophies and someone that isn't afraid to be out beating the bushes hustling recruits.

Comment

Chris O'Leary new safeties coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                    Chris O’Leary is the guy per Matt Freeman

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14191...safeties-coach
                    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                    Chris O'Leary new safeties coach.
                    EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

The more I see what O Leary has done in past year the more I think they were grooming him for the next on field D role regardless. Gave him a taste of recruiting when when Lyght left, apparently had a whole CA trip of visits. He helped on field next to Lea. Who better to be with (like Nick L)? Feels more like should have been seen as more obvious lol

Comment

Someone who is smarter than me please explain to me why this is anything more than a "meh" hire considering the juice Freeman is bringing with him...

Comment

Btw, looking at Nick L's twitter profile, it appears he is not a GA anymore but a "Senior Defensive Analyst".
                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                            Btw, looking at Nick L's twitter profile, it appears he is not a GA anymore but a "Senior Defensive Analyst".
                            Positive that he updated that maybe means staying but that title is his 2020 title so no change there I believe

Comment

Someone who is smarter than me please explain to me why this is anything more than a "meh" hire considering the juice Freeman is bringing with him...
                              Jamie U:

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14193...-on-a-thursday

4. I know that some Notre Dame fans might have hoped for a bigger name or a more established recruiter than Chris O’Leary for the safeties job, but I just wanted to chime in here that I have been impressed with him whenever I have seen him on the field at Notre Dame.

I wouldn’t call him a yeller, but he demands the attention of the players and is communicating constantly in drills and in team. There’s a vibe you get with some young coaches who can look like they are too nervous to speak up or give instruction because they aren’t “the guy” running that position. I never got any hint of that with O’Leary.

He was always someone who looked like he was in command and had the respect of the players. That might sound standard, but it really isn’t with all graduate assistants.

I always like the idea of promoting from within because there is no better job interview than watching a guy work on and off the field. Let’s see if he can hit the ground running as a recruiter. I’m sure he will once they step on the practice field again.

Comment

I think it's because you were born with multiple pessimist genes.

Comment

so the best thing we can say about the guy is he demands attention and isnt nervous?
                                  Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                    so the best thing we can say about the guy is he demands attention and isnt nervous?
                                    He was the Butkus’ award winners position coach. Does that add some shine?

Comment

He was the Butkus’ award winners position coach. Does that add some shine?
                                      its funny - That's Lea's position and all season it was a different GA that was getting all the hype for coaching the group. Now suddenly it was this guy?

Add shine? No.

It doesn't change his lack of experience in recruiting at this level or coaching the position at a high level.
                                      Prehistoric

Comment

its funny - That's Lea's position and all season it was a different GA that was getting all the hype for coaching the group. Now suddenly it was this guy?

Add shine? No.

It doesn't change his lack of experience in recruiting at this level or coaching the position at a high level.
                                        He was the fill in on staff when Todd Lyght left.

So at least of those guys in the program at that time he's the one ND trusted to go out and recruit.

Comment

Add shine? No.

Not my argument that’s just the info that is being presented. I actually personally asked Loy to define the structure as it relates to Nick L, Lea and O Leary. He has said O Leary was de facto OLB which means Rovers coach this past year.

Comment

What did Davonte do?

Comment

EDIT: Never mind. I was responding to a now-erased quote.

Comment

Not my argument that’s just the info that is being presented. I actually personally asked Loy to define the structure as it relates to Nick L, Lea and O Leary. He has said O Leary is de facto OLB which means Rovers coach this past year.
                                                Yeah, Regardless of what his role was at ND the last two years, it still is a confusing hire. All that work was not something Mickens was privy to either so this just seems to me like a decision that was made for him to some extent and certainly wasnt on anyones top 10 likely lists. Smells like a settle with a forced hand.
                                                Prehistoric

Comment

Yeah, Regardless of what his role was at ND the last two years, it still is a confusing hire. All that work was not something Mickens was privy to either so this just seems to me like a decision that was made for him to some extent and certainly wasnt on anyones top 10 likely lists. Smells like a settle with a forced hand.
                                                  Was on ISDs OG list. 1 of only 2 confirmed interviews on 1/22. Again some of the points you make are valid, but also some things that there are some confirmed things saying otherwise

Comment

Confusing to you, because you don't know anything about him and not a household name.

NONE of us know what work he has been doing and if/if not he is qualified to do the work.
                                                    " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

I can't wait to blame O'Leary for Kyle Hamilton's regression after 1 missed tackle

Comment

Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                        Confusing to you, because you don't know anything about him and not a household name.

NONE of us know what work he has been doing and if/if not he is qualified to do the work.
                                                        i guess we should all be good boys and girls and sing his praises then right?

To me it isn't 'qualified or not'. I would hope at this stage in BK's tenure we arent hiring unqualified people. If we are, far bigger issues exist than who is our new safeties coach.

It is can he do it at the level needed for us to make that leap we need to win it all. Were just over 2 months from getting worked and everyone and their brother acknowledging we have large improvements to make and we follow it up with a questionable hire.

It is did Mickens get full autonomy in hiring who he wanted. It is did we handicap ourselves due to salary constraints.
                                                        Prehistoric

Comment

Jamie U is certainly smarter than me, thanks!
                                                          I think it's because you were born with multiple pessimist genes.
                                                          Sorry, forgot we're only allowed to participate in group think...
                                                          i guess we should all be good boys and girls and sing his praises then right?

To me it isn't 'qualified or not'. I would hope at this stage in BK's tenure we arent hiring unqualified people. If we are, far bigger issues exist than who is our new safeties coach.

It is can he do it at the level needed for us to make that leap we need to win it all. Were just over 2 months from getting worked and everyone and their brother acknowledging we have large improvements to make and we follow it up with a questionable hire.

It is did Mickens get full autonomy in hiring who he wanted. It is did we handicap ourselves due to salary constraints.
                                                          Careful, you might get shit on for having an opinion.

Comment

Jamie U is certainly smarter than me, thanks!Sorry, forgot we're only allowed to participate in group think...Careful, you might get shit on for having an opinion.

I stand behind my self appointed position of Opinion Police. I will be running unopposed for …. well Forever...
                                                            " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

So we have Mickens at CB, O'Leary at S.

Will either have overall DB ownership and/or the Pass Game Coordinator like Joseph did, or both stay separate reporting to Freeman. Or do we bring in another of PGC.

Agree, Cooks could have been a done deal by now. Freeman's looking for someone that shares similar philosophies and someone that isn't afraid to be out beating the bushes hustling recruits.
                                                              Yup. Just didn't make sense. Wonder if he was even in the running, or even wanted it. Had it been him, pretty sure we'd have seen a quick turnaround.
                                                              The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                              Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Jamie U is certainly smarter than me, thanks!Sorry, forgot we're only allowed to participate in group think...Careful, you might get shit on for having an opinion.
                                                                It's all good. Just seems the vast majority of your posts are always negative. I personally don't have an opinion on this pick and will taker a wait and see approach but will throw these points out there.

1. Given how BK did a complete makeover of the program to elevate it, I doubt he would have approved this if he didn't think the guy was capable.
                                                                2. Being a younger guy he should be able to relate very well to recruits and have the energy to recruit.
                                                                3. Not being an aged veteran doesn't mean he can't coach or be successful. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban were both in his position at one time in the careers.

Comment

So Cooks is or is not still on staff?

Comment

Originally posted by tko View Post
                                                                    So Cooks is or is not still on staff?
                                                                    He was tweeting ND stuff a few days ago, and his twitter profile still has all the ND stuff.
                                                                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> has announced that Chris O&#39;Leary has been promoted to safeties coach.</p>&mdash; BlueandGold.com (@BGInews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BGInews/status/1357706087743565827?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                      What did Davonte do?

Comment

So I don't see Cooks on our staff on the website. Curious where he ends up. Pain in the butt having him on the trail negative recruiting us. Hopefully having Freeman in the fold can negate that stuff.

Comment

We believe Notre Dame also interviewed a current P5 DB coach who had been a DC recently. Folks would have been excited about and BK/Freeman still went with O'Leary, which probably speaks volumes in itself.

It came from one source, so we haven't put the name out as we didn't confirm it further as O'Leary was the guy, but there were definitely names outside The Gug involved.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                          Working...
                                                                          X