Derek Jones - Texas Tech Co-DC/DBs Coach
    Paul Haynes - Minnesota CBs Coach
    Nick Lezynski - Current ND Senior Analyst
    John Jancek - Georgia Defensive Quality Control Coach

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/a...e892c2c8f.html

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14054...for-notre-dame

Confirmed Candidates:

Chris O’Leary - Current ND GA (per 247)
    Kerry Cooks - Current ND Defensive Analyst (per 247)
    Last edited by Dale; 02-03-2021, 09:13 PM.

Johnson sounds intriguing
    Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

I think the Cooks move is just to easy/obvious. As long as he jives with Freeman, I think it happens. Can't remember the other guy I liked, but he's a HS coach, and a few folks posted links to his bio/history.
      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

I like the Millikin history with Taver. Looks like his time coincided with Chuck Martin's stint there

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
          I think the Cooks move is just to easy/obvious. As long as he jives with Freeman, I think it happens. Can't remember the other guy I liked, but he's a HS coach, and a few folks posted links to his bio/history.
          You’re thinking of the guy at DeSmet in St Louis who Kelly considered when he hired Mickens. I think his name is Streeter

Comment

I used to work with Taver Johnson’s brother.

He told me that Taver had a chance to take a job with ND prior to ‘12 when OSU’s staff turned over for Urban Meyer, but he ended up at Arkansas instead.

It seems kind of like he keeps looping back on chances to return to ND, though, as his name had been discussed during the ‘16 overhaul as well. ‘12, ‘16, and ‘20... Maybe this is the four-year window that he finally gets a chance to return to ND lol.
            Last edited by IrishLion; 01-13-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
              You’re thinking of the guy at DeSmet in St Louis who Kelly considered when he hired Mickens. I think his name is Streeter
              Robert Steeples

Comment

If we’re going historic recruiting chops I’d go with Kerry Cooks. He’s gotten some studs at ND and Oklahoma. Johnson recruited some pretty elite dudes at Ohio State and has been a DC. I think either would be a solid pickup. Elston, Freeman, Mickens, and Cooks would be an ELITE recruiting staff on defense. Curious to see if Elston leaves. I feel like Purdue DC is difficult to turn down but he’s got a great gig at ND

Comment

Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                  If we’re going historic recruiting chops I’d go with Kerry Cooks. He’s gotten some studs at ND and Oklahoma. Johnson recruited some pretty elite dudes at Ohio State and has been a DC. I think either would be a solid pickup. Elston, Freeman, Mickens, and Cooks would be an ELITE recruiting staff on defense. Curious to see if Elston leaves. I feel like Purdue DC is difficult to turn down but he’s got a great gig at ND
                  Sounds like Elston to Purdue is becoming less and less likely.
                  It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                    Sounds like Elston to Purdue is becoming less and less likely.
                    It’s hard not to want the best for the guy. He’s been loyal and a key cog in BK’s staff for years. Seems to have a sweet wife & kids so I hope in the end he does whatever is best for all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                      It’s hard not to want the best for the guy. He’s been loyal and a key cog in BK’s staff for years. Seems to have a sweet wife & kids so I hope in the end he does whatever is best for all of them.
                      following them on twitter makes me think they'd never ever want to leave South Bend until at least their kids are college aged.
                      What did Davonte do?

Comment

Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post

LANCE?
                        " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

Criteria:

#1. Someone who has worked with Freeman before. Coaches need to speak the same language. You dont want to bring someone in and have to coach coaches.
                          #2. A recruiter
                          #3. Notre Dame ties

Johnson has worked with Freeeman, worked at Notre Dame (albeit 20 years ago), and has recruited the Midwest, Northeast, and the Southeast:

https://247sports.com/Coach/Taver-Jo...lTimeRecruits/

I'm in
                          Last edited by DCDomer; 01-14-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14054...for-notre-dame

I’ll let everyone click for more details on each name but ISD laid out some potential candidates, the already mentioned Cooks, Steeples, and Johnson included.

Others include:

Jeff Burris - Louisiana Tech DBs Coach
                            Cory Sanders - Pitt Safeties Coach
                            Joe Danna - Jags Secondary Coach
                            Derek Jones - Texas Tech Co-DC/DBs Coach
                            Paul Haynes - Minnesota CBs Coach
                            Chris O’Leary - Current ND GA
                            Nick Lezynski - Current ND Senior Analyst

Comment

Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                              Johnson sounds intriguing
                              Wut

Comment

Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                Wut
                                Taver Johnson. Others have speculated that he'd be an excellent hire.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wut
                                  The original post was edited, but it focused on Johnson, his accolades, connection with ND and with Freeman.
                                  Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                    Taver Johnson. Others have speculated that he'd be an excellent hire.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk
                                    Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                    The original post was edited, but it focused on Johnson, his accolades, connection with ND and with Freeman.
                                    Okay, but did any of you see how the Raiders' DBs played? I'm a fan, and I... uh... wasn't a fan. The secondary was pretty bad.

Comment

Was there a post deleted from here?
                                      Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                        Was there a post deleted from here?
                                        The OP I edited to have any candidates from any articles, but the two links with the info including the first with the blurb on Taver is still there. Figured better to have any names listed and gives Hansen a click

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                          The OP I edited to have any candidates from any articles, but the two links with the info including the first with the blurb on Taver is still there. Figured better to have any names listed and gives Hansen a click
                                          I thought someone said they knew of a person who interviewed and now I don't see it
                                          Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                            I thought someone said they knew of a person who interviewed and now I don't see it
                                            Freeman thread

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
                                              FWIW: Can confirm that John Jancek has interviewed as a position coach.

Down to him and an unnamed coach.
                                              Found it and added to list. Jancek is currently a Georgia Defensive Quality Control Coach

Comment

Have to think the only way Cooks doesn't get it is if he doesn't jive with Freeman, right?

Comment

Okay, but did any of you see how the Raiders' DBs played? I'm a fan, and I... uh... wasn't a fan. The secondary was pretty bad.
                                                  Raider fan here too and and their secondary wasn't pretty bad ... they were horrible! They couldn't cover anyone nor wrap up on tackles.

Comment

I’m partial to Burris but I don’t think he has a connection to Freeman. He was an ND analyst in 2017 though and has coached DBs in the NFL.
                                                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

The interesting name from the ISD list to me is Cory Sanders, the Pitt Safeties Coach. One of the only ones on there without a link to ND/Freeman but the article says he’s was a finalist for Mickens’ job so familiarity exists. Pitt loves aggressiveness so could fit well with Freeman?

Comment

The interesting name from the ISD list to me is Cory Sanders, the Pitt Safeties Coach. One of the only ones on there without a link to ND/Freeman but the article says he’s was a finalist for Mickens’ job so familiarity exists. Pitt loves aggressiveness so could fit well with Freeman?
                                                        And the recruit the Db’s pretty well
                                                        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

It's a solid group of options. Tavern is intriguing from his time at OSU with some NFL history but has a somewhat strange career path and is he a legit recruiter or was it just OSU is OSU.

Cooks and Burris are known commodities but could be "playing it safe".

Sanders is interesting as well.

I want Freeman to pick HIS guy, though, whoever that is.
                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

Narduzzi's shield would get so fogged up again if Sanders was poached.

Comment

Originally posted by irish4ever View Post
                                                              Raider fan here too and and their secondary wasn't pretty bad ... they were horrible! They couldn't cover anyone nor wrap up on tackles.
                                                              *sigh* I was trying to be nice about it, but yeah, they were horrible.

Comment

I would really love to see this happen. The guy is a worker. He started out coaching at North Central and has worked his way up. He's also from Michigan and attended St. Joseph's in Indiana where he was also the HC.

Coached and recruited with WMU under PJ Fleck, too.

Best case scenario is Elston stays and Cooks gets the job for ease, but I really like Coach Sanders and would love to see him leave sPitt.
                                                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                  I would really love to see this happen. The guy is a worker. He started out coaching at North Central and has worked his way up. He's also from Michigan and attended St. Joseph's in Indiana where he was also the HC.

Coached and recruited with WMU under PJ Fleck, too.

Best case scenario is Elston stays and Cooks gets the job for ease, but I really like Coach Sanders and would love to see him leave sPitt.
                                                                  I’d be surprised if the best case scenario you noted isn’t a done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                    I’d be surprised if the best case scenario you noted isn’t a done deal.
                                                                    I'd be surprised if Elston left, but not sure about Cooks. He's the favorite IMO, but just surprised they haven't already announced. The longer it takes IMO, the more I think they go with someone else.

Comment

I love it just because it will piss off Narduzzi.

Comment

I'd be surprised if Elston left, but not sure about Cooks. He's the favorite IMO, but just surprised they haven't already announced. The longer it takes IMO, the more I think they go with someone else.
                                                                        I’d agree. If it was as easy as a Freeman sign off on Cooks I think it’d already be done. Maybe they vet candidates and in the end it is Cooks but I share your thought the longer it goes it should mean outside options are at least being considered

Freeman is also hitting the ground on recruiting, re-recruiting transfers and more so just limited time in the day

Comment

I’d agree. If it was as easy as a Freeman sign off on Cooks I think it’d already be done. Maybe they vet candidates and in the end it is Cooks but I share your thought the longer it goes it should mean outside options are at least being considered

Freeman is also hitting the ground on recruiting, re-recruiting transfers and more so just limited time in the day
                                                                          This is where I'm at with it all. It's not a huge priority and the staff probably saw there was more value in him spending a tremendous amount of time with current players, commits, and prospective recruits. Can't say I see anything wrong with that.

Comment

Not sure what they have to vet about Cooks. He was the AHC here before, and was actually on staff this last year. Perhaps they're just going through the motions, but seems it took less time to hire Freeman than an assistant...

I'm sure Freeman is hitting it hard, but part of that is also nailing down your coaches so they can help you hit it hard. Especially for the position in queston.

Not really worried or anything, just seems strange to me.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Shot in the dark chance an assistant on a remaining NFL team is being considered

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Not sure what they have to vet about Cooks. He was the AHC here before, and was actually on staff this last year. Perhaps they're just going through the motions, but seems it took less time to hire Freeman than an assistant...

I'm sure Freeman is hitting it hard, but part of that is also nailing down your coaches so they can help you hit it hard. Especially for the position in queston.

Not really worried or anything, just seems strange to me.
                                                                                Assistant doesn't matter as much as a DC. Could be...

1) Not rushing through vetting for Cooks (or someone else)
                                                                                2) Slow playing Cooks, to wait out and see if another big name becomes available.

Not a huge rush to hire atm.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                                                  Assistant doesn't matter as much as a DC. Could be...

1) Not rushing through vetting for Cooks (or someone else)
                                                                                  2) Slow playing Cooks, to wait out and see if another big name becomes available.

Not a huge rush to hire atm.
                                                                                  What is there to vet about Cooks? He was already a co-DC 6 years ago, and was on staff last year. I can perhaps understand the slow playing, but both options seem strange to me. The only thing that computes for me, is that perhaps Cooks is looking at another job.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    What is there to vet about Cooks? He was already a co-DC 6 years ago, and was on staff last year. I can perhaps understand the slow playing, but both options seem strange to me. The only thing that computes for me, is that perhaps Cooks is looking at another job.
                                                                                    I think I and the above are just using the word vet as consider, interview etc. Freeman does not know Cooks so all the past history may give him a slight leg up or eliminate some hand shaking but certainly does not qualify him automatically for this job and as a result still causes “vetting”. I really in the end believe it’s just a there’s a only so much time in the day thing

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      I think I and the above are just using the word vet as consider, interview etc. Freeman does not know Cooks so all the past history may give him a slight leg up or eliminate some hand shaking but certainly does not qualify him automatically for this job and as a result still causes “vetting”. I really in the end believe it’s just a there’s a only so much time in the day thing
                                                                                      Apologies. I was using vet in formal sense.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The latest from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrishIllustrated?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" >#IrishIllustrated</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a>&#39;s search for a new Safeties coach.<br><br>Update: <a href="https://t.co/8bGf0zQcH1">https://t.co/8bGf0zQcH1</a> (VIP)<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrishIllustrated?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" >#IrishIllustrated</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@247Sports</a> <a href="https://t.co/5nwydUNCSw">pic.twitter.com/5nwydUNCSw</a></p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/status/1352673245892325376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 22, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Is there anybody linked with Freeman I wonder that wants to come along??
                                                                                          Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                                            Is there anybody linked with Freeman I wonder that wants to come along??
                                                                                            Lea came with Elko so if Freeman knows someone like Elko did in Lea I think that could turn out to be a good move for ND.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Is Lea's mini-me still on staff, or did he bolt to Vandy?

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Chris O’Leary is the guy per Matt Freeman

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14191...safeties-coach

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Maybe they spent all their money on Freeman?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Chris O’Leary is the guy per Matt Freeman

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14191...safeties-coach
                                                                                                    247 saying is the same.
                                                                                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X