Marcus Freeman New DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
    Why is everyone crowning him? He hasnt even coached single down for ND. Ill galdly eat crow three years from now but we are still headed for a 8-10 ranked class like normal.
    I agree with you, but I also think there are some verbals right now that would not be verbals if Lea was still here, and I like Clark Lea a lot.

I am impressed with all that I have seen thus far. I think there is an energy about him and a fit for the program that just "feels" right. Like I said, cautiously thirsty. I want to see the defense perform before I start pushing chips in the middle.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

This is the part that everybody likes to gloss over. And to be fair, I wouldn't say he was a bad recruiter, but he certainly wasn't as aggressive or involved as I would have liked to have seen. Or maybe he just needed to broaden his board a little (lot)? Either way, Freeman has proven to be a far more efficient recruiter which is exactly what this staff needs more of.
      Freeman is obviously more involved in recruiting than Lea. Which raises the question, What requirements (if any) does BK put on his coaches when it comes to recruiting? There has to be some discussion during the interview phase.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Freeman is obviously more involved in recruiting than Lea. Which raises the question, What requirements (if any) does BK put on his coaches when it comes to recruiting? There has to be some discussion during the interview phase.
        For me, it should be best of the best. Know your Xs and Os but WANT to be on the road doing the recruiting. You MUST have coaches with that kind of skill set at the college level. If you're an NFL guy, fine, so be it. Go there and enjoy not having to deal with recruiting headaches.

To me, you have to be able to have the hunger to want to recruit or it isn't going to work. Even your weakest cog in the wheel should be an animal on the recruiting trail.

Plus ND is swimming in a smaller pool than most so You have to work that much harder to make sure Stanford or Nortwestern don't pip any guys you absolutely want in your class if they fit the mold.
        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

I’d guess BK is not Cristobal where he reportedly makes the staff be at the office to do recruiting calls and doesn’t trust to do from home at night (I’m pretty sure it’s Cristobal but not 100%). But a interesting question, never heard what level of homework the assistants have.

Comment

• It was said in the buildup to his hire, but a lot of these guys including Vernon call Chad Bowen “Coach Bowen” and he gets as much mention as the position coaches almost lately for some of these guys.

Also Mike McCray is a GA assistant haven’t heard his names only a few times but while hyping up the unsung guys, Ws like Vernon aren’t just Freeman need a full wave of effort

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
              It was said in the buildup to his hire, but a lot of these guys including Vernon call Chad Bowen “Coach Bowen” and he gets as much mention as the position coaches almost lately for some of these guys.

Also Mike McCray is a GA assistant haven’t heard his names only a few times but while hyping up the unsung guys, Ws like Vernon aren’t just Freeman need a full wave of effort
              Chad has been a total Chad. Glad he came with Freeman.
              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

For me, it should be best of the best. Know your Xs and Os but WANT to be on the road doing the recruiting. You MUST have coaches with that kind of skill set at the college level. If you're an NFL guy, fine, so be it. Go there and enjoy not having to deal with recruiting headaches.

To me, you have to be able to have the hunger to want to recruit or it isn't going to work. Even your weakest cog in the wheel should be an animal on the recruiting trail.

Plus ND is swimming in a smaller pool than most so You have to work that much harder to make sure Stanford or Nortwestern don't pip any guys you absolutely want in your class if they fit the mold.
                Originally posted by Dale View Post

I’d guess BK is not Cristobal where he reportedly makes the staff be at the office to do recruiting calls and doesn’t trust to do from home at night (I’m pretty sure it’s Cristobal but not 100%). But a interesting question, never heard what level of homework the assistants have.
                I suspect BK lets his staff put together their plans and gives final approval or recommends changes that he wants included in the process. BK understands the need to land the studs. My question is more along the lines during the interview process and if he tells them his expectations for them when it comes to recruiting? Would love to be a fly on the wall.

Comment

• Posted over on Rivals,

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/ma...dame-longevity

Comment

• The Zorich Podcast: Conversations with Leaders & Legends - The Zorich Podcast with Marcus Freeman (7/8/21) (google.com)

Another great listen. If Freeman's pitch is anything like this, no wonder he's a killer. Also, the anecdote of BK calling Freeman and saying "Money isn't a concern, we'll take care of that..." bodes extremely well.

Freeman seems to be much more "open" than most other assistant coaches we've had recently. Lea did a podcast with Sampson last year, but other than that I can't remember the last time we had an active assistant on podcasts. Freeman has been on two niche podcasts that I've seen since he was hired.
                    Last edited by greyhammer90; 07-08-2021, 08:52 PM.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Another Kelly tidbit: Freeman said that when he called Kelly and told him he was coming to Notre Dame, Kelly said "Let's close that gap."

Guys, I think he knows.

Comment

• I suspect Freeman out works everyone on the team. Which is saying something. Most coaches in D1 sports put in the hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

Chad has been a total Chad. Glad he came with Freeman.
                          Who knew Kelly was based?

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• He got a black belt in Taekwondo at 12. Impressive.

Comment

• half way through. Great interview. I hope we can keep him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
                                I suspect Freeman out works everyone on the team. Which is saying something. Most coaches in D1 sports put in the hours.
                                This is not an anti Kelly post.

Of the current HC hierarchy, BK is up there, but not the top 3. He is very good at what he does. But, there is still a difference between him and Saban, or what Urban Meyer was. Its the feeling that they will doing anything in this world to not lose. It drives the. More than their peers.

Again, BK is really good and he has been fantastic for ND. But Freeman is giving that sense that he won't be stopped. Its different than Lea or Elko. I hope ND does whatever it takes to ensure he never leaves. We don't want another Urban Meyer situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post

This is not an anti Kelly post.

Of the current HC hierarchy, BK is up there, but not the top 3. He is very good at what he does. But, there is still a difference between him and Saban, or what Urban Meyer was. Its the feeling that they will doing anything in this world to not lose. It drives the. More than their peers.

Again, BK is really good and he has been fantastic for ND. But Freeman is giving that sense that he won't be stopped. Its different than Lea or Elko. I hope ND does whatever it takes to ensure he never leaves. We don't want another Urban Meyer situation.
                                  I've given that a lot of thought and not sure he isn't one of the top 3. I can't see Saban or Meyer doing much better at ND. Meyer turned it down because of the restrictions which tells me he probably couldn't do better. For all we know, if BK was at Bama, OSU or UF he may already have a NC or two.

I hope Freeman's D is as good as his recruiting, but BK needs to keep him on staff for the recruiting alone!

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                    Another Kelly tidbit: Freeman said that when he called Kelly and told him he was coming to Notre Dame, Kelly said "Let's close that gap."

Guys, I think he knows.

Comment

• Man, if you haven’t listened to that podcast you absolutely need to. A ton of great insight and he’s a rockstar. He even talked about recruiting examples of letting kids decompress after visits because Notre Dame is always going to win out just like it did with his choice over LSU. I think the example he gave was Benjamin Morrison about trying to commit to another school at a visit and he got him to decompress and realize ND was best. Idk I may be off but that was my first guess of who he was talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                        The Zorich Podcast: Conversations with Leaders & Legends - The Zorich Podcast with Marcus Freeman (7/8/21) (google.com)

Another great listen. If Freeman's pitch is anything like this, no wonder he's a killer. Also, the anecdote of BK calling Freeman and saying "Money isn't a concern, we'll take care of that..." bodes extremely well.

Freeman seems to be much more "open" than most other assistant coaches we've had recently. Lea did a podcast with Sampson last year, but other than that I can't remember the last time we had an active assistant on podcasts. Freeman has been on two niche podcasts that I've seen since he was hired.
                                        This is an absolute must listen for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                          RELEASE THE RIVER

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
                                            I suspect Freeman out works everyone on the team. Which is saying something. Most coaches in D1 sports put in the hours.
                                            Coach Willingham on line 1 for you...

Comment

• This guy can sell ice to an eskimo. Brings huge energy. Really hope we can hold onto him for a few years.

BK - "I'm tired of losing to the national champion. I'm tired of losing to Clemson...Alabama."

I really get a feeling that ND might be going scorched earth so BK can snag a natty before riding off into the sunset.
                                              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

This is an absolute must listen for everyone.
                                                How can you not be impressed by this guy?

Comment

• The recruiting Coach Freeman will do in his time at ND can change the trajectory of the program. The ability to pull elite players from the backyard of elite programs is what wins natty's. I give so much credit to BK and Swarbrick for getting him in.

Comment

• Anyone else watch the video of the interview notice the size of zorich's hands? Wtf

Comment

• Originally posted by DCDomer View Post
                                                      The recruiting Coach Freeman will do in his time at ND can change the trajectory of the program. The ability to pull elite players from the backyard of elite programs is what wins natty's. I give so much credit to BK and Swarbrick for getting him in.
                                                      SEE: Clemson pulling Trevor Lawrence from UGA's backyard

Comment

• Yeah, I was huge on Clark's "intellectualism" , but after listening to this, Marcus might be even higher in that category (not to mention way higher in every other).

What a coach!

Comment

• Listening now and this is incredible, I've gotten goosebumps a few times already.

Best line so far is him talking about his kids and if he was asked 5 months ago where he wanted his 4 boys to go, he would have said Ohio State. And now..."But I care about their life more than just the NFL...until someone else shows me, there's no where else in the country like this place (Notre Dame)."

Comment

• 13 minutes into the podcast. WOW

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by FWIrish4 View Post
                                                                Man, if you haven’t listened to that podcast you absolutely need to. A ton of great insight and he’s a rockstar. He even talked about recruiting examples of letting kids decompress after visits because Notre Dame is always going to win out just like it did with his choice over LSU. I think the example he gave was Benjamin Morrison about trying to commit to another school at a visit and he got him to decompress and realize ND was best. Idk I may be off but that was my first guess of who he was talking about.
                                                                Could be, we’ll have to see on Morrison. Just got around to listening and it somewhat fits what Devin Moore said.

Comment

• If not for Freeman it would be a hard listen - Zorich is not a solid interviewer. Pleased he let FM just talk.
                                                                  I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fbolt View Post
                                                                    If not for Freeman it would be a hard listen - Zorich is not a solid interviewer. Pleased he let FM just talk.
                                                                    No deed to judge 50 on his interviewing skills. This is a 10. Period.

Comment

• I don't know anything about this Zorich fella. Did he represent? I suppose I could google.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                                        I don't know anything about this Zorich fella. Did he represent? I suppose I could google.
                                                                        Probably a nobody, along with that Hanratty guy.

Comment

I don't know anything about this Zorich fella. Did he represent? I suppose I could google.
                                                                          yeah…. You should probably know this guy lol
                                                                          "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

What? Is this sarcasm?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy3Putt View Post

What? Is this sarcasm?
                                                                              Second best player ever from CVS. Still göt to give the crown to ol' 51 Butkus
                                                                              ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy3Putt View Post

What? Is this sarcasm?
                                                                                No, I was being honest. But I also had a feeling I would get this reaction.
                                                                                To explain, I had never even heard of Notre Dame University (or even really college football) until Rudy.
                                                                                Never got into college football until it became available to watch out here about 10 years ago.

Comment

• Where do you live, Detroit?

Comment

To explain, I had never even heard of Notre Dame University (or even really college football) until Rudy.
                                                                                    Never got into college football until it became available to watch out here about 10 years ago.
                                                                                    Neither have I

Comment

That nerdy looking dude in the broadcast, was one of ND's all time bad asses regardless of position. Watch a game on YouTube and pay close attention to his free hand. Dudes across from him had to be terrified.

Comment

No worreis man, we were all at that point in our lives one way or another. I myself had to go back and learn about the guys I didnt know much about pre Faust. The 86-93 era had some ELITE players. Some of the best ever. Zorich was one of them. A total badass.

Comment

• T-Boone's gotta be from Perth cuz Zorich is really big in Sydney and Melbourne.

Comment

No worreis man, we were all at that point in our lives one way or another. I myself had to go back and learn about the guys I didnt know much about pre Faust. The 86-93 era had some ELITE players. Some of the best ever. Zorich was one of them. A total badass.
                                                                                            It is pretty amusing to watch Notre Dame highlights from that period....ND is just mean and mashes people, runs by people, through people, etc.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

It is pretty amusing to watch Notre Dame highlights from that period....ND is just mean and mashes people, runs by people, through people, etc.
                                                                                              I remember hearing Jeff Burris talk about arriving on campus and seeing the upper classmen on the team and being in awe at their skill levesl just doing elite shit all the time. Burris was probably the 2nd best running back in the country that year and ended up having to switch to DB and Iron manned in offensive goal line sets. Jeff came into the team with Jerome Bettis. He and Jerome came into a team that already had Ismail, Watters, Levens Brooks, and Culver LMAO..

Comment

I remember hearing Jeff Burris talk about arriving on campus and seeing the upper classmen on the team and being in awe at their skill levesl just doing elite shit all the time. Burris was probably the 2nd best running back in the country that year and ended up having to switch to DB and Iron manned in offensive goal line sets. Jeff came into the team with Jerome Bettis. He and Jerome came into a team that already had Ismail, Watters, Levens Brooks, and Culver LMAO..
                                                                                                Burris should have been a two way player - best basketball player on campus. Then again I don't blame Lou for not sharing with John MacLeod.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

Burris should have been a two way player - best basketball player on campus. Then again I don't blame Lou for not sharing with John MacLeod.
                                                                                                  He was very good at baseball too.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

I know it's fun to think things like this but no he wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

I know it's fun to think things like this but no he wasn't.
                                                                                                      One of my fav things to do in college was go to our wellness center the week they let the football players mix in with the regular students and play basketball. Some of those kids could ball out...but at the end of the day, there was a reason they weren't on the basketball team.
                                                                                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X