Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marcus Freeman New DC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ‎Make Defense Great Again: S03E03: The Notre Dame/Cincinnati "Dollar Package" w/ Marcus Freeman, DC at Notre Dame on Apple Podcasts

    Above link is a podcast with Marcus Freeman where he breaks down his defensive scheme in extreme detail.

    Funnier than you in 2012.

    Comment


    • I'm about 30 minutes into this, and yeah he's pretty impressive. Says that he's not interested in getting into a chess match, wants to focus on fundamentals, playing fast, and knowing what you're doing. Also stresses that recruiting is a top priority for himself as a coach because he acknowledges that in cfb you can walk into a game with a loaded deck.

      On fundamentals, he stresses that toughness and grit is a fundamental. He disagrees with the adage that toughness can't be taught. He thinks it can be, and thinks that it's something that can be built.

      Funnier than you in 2012.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
        I'm about 30 minutes into this, and yeah he's pretty impressive. Says that he's not interested in getting into a chess match, wants to focus on fundamentals, playing fast, and knowing what you're doing. Also stresses that recruiting is a top priority for himself as a coach because he acknowledges that in cfb you can walk into a game with a loaded deck.

        On fundamentals, he stresses that toughness and grit is a fundamental. He disagrees with the adage that toughness can't be taught. He thinks it can be, and thinks that it's something that can be built.
        This is everything I want from a coach at the college level.
        "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

        Comment


        • Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
          Also stresses that recruiting is a top priority for himself as a coach because he acknowledges that in cfb you can walk into a game with a loaded deck.
          .
          Nice quote but probably a bad indicator of what will be his desire to be head coach at ND.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
            I'm about 30 minutes into this, and yeah he's pretty impressive. Says that he's not interested in getting into a chess match, wants to focus on fundamentals, playing fast, and knowing what you're doing. Also stresses that recruiting is a top priority for himself as a coach because he acknowledges that in cfb you can walk into a game with a loaded deck.

            On fundamentals, he stresses that toughness and grit is a fundamental. He disagrees with the adage that toughness can't be taught. He thinks it can be, and thinks that it's something that can be built.
            I'm glad you guys understand this well enough to keep listening. I made it about 15 mins and realized this isn't a podcast for me. I need it extracted out a level further or dumbed down more. I understood maybe 20% of what they are talking about.

            Comment




            • ISD tweeted this the other day. Not a casual listen but a in depth listen

              Comment


              • Anybody else feel like getting excited about the future of the Notre Dame defense under Marcus Freeman on a Tuesday morning?

                From a way-too-early 2022 mock draft via Dane Brugler of the Athletic:

                17. Los Angeles ChargersAhmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
                26. Cleveland BrownsMyjai Sanders, edge, Cincinnati
                Gardner is the 4th CB off the board, and Sanders would be the 5th EDGE guy.

                That's TWO projected first round picks for UC... that's crazy!

                (He also has Kyle Hamilton going 8th overall to the New York Football Giants)

                Comment


                • I’m always good for a pitcher or two of off-season hype. It just sucks we have to play those two guys this year, lol.

                  As long as Freeman sticks around for awhile, 3-4 years, I think we’re going to see this class he’s recruiting do very very well.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                    I’m always good for a pitcher or two of off-season hype. It just sucks we have to play those two guys this year, lol.

                    As long as Freeman sticks around for awhile, 3-4 years, I think we’re going to see this class he’s recruiting do very very well.
                    I really hope he wants to settle into ND. We know he can coordinate and recruit, I just want to see him make it through a few recruiting cycles and use the players he's bringing in. Then I want to see him get a shot to be the next head coach because he has all the charisma you could want in a lead man. Hopefully he's good at finding offensive personnel.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

                      I really hope he wants to settle into ND. We know he can coordinate and recruit, I just want to see him make it through a few recruiting cycles and use the players he's bringing in. Then I want to see him get a shot to be the next head coach because he has all the charisma you could want in a lead man. Hopefully he's good at finding offensive personnel.
                      It'll be interesting that's for sure. Kelly's contract is through 2024. Is Freeman willing to be the DC for the next 4 seasons while he waits for his shot at the HC at ND. Or, would he leave after 2 for a HC gig and try to come back. Or maybe not come back at all. I'd love to see Freeman as the next HC so hopefully those are discussions they've already had. And like others have speculated around here since his arrival, that might have already been what got him here.

                      Comment


                      • I think the possibility of Freeman being the next HC was at least a topic that was acknowledged. Promise him? Probably not. Expect him to be? Probably not either but I don’t think he takes our DC job over LSU unless he believes it is on the table. If you can guarantee yourself one of the top 8 jobs in the country you’ll be on the shortlist, you take it.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dale View Post
                          I think the possibility of Freeman being the next HC was at least a topic that was acknowledged. Promise him? Probably not. Expect him to be? Probably not either but I don’t think he takes our DC job over LSU unless he believes it is on the table. If you can guarantee yourself one of the top 8 jobs in the country you’ll be on the shortlist, you take it.
                          My (optimstic) thinking is he didn't need to move schools to get a shot at a P5 head coaching job in the very near future so his stint at Notre Dame isn't *just* a pay raise and another rung on the ladder.

                          Comment


                          • https://notredame.rivals.com/news/notre-dame-s-vyper-de-position-and-an-offseason-full-of-change
                            Marcus Freeman arrived at Notre Dame in January and heard the murmurs.

                            A defensive end who didn’t even start last season kept coming up in conversation as the first-year Irish defensive coordinator learned about his new personnel. Look for No. 7 when you watch last year’s film, he was told. That player, junior Isaiah Foskey,has rare natural gifts that were evident in a 2020 part-time role.

                            “When I first got here, everyone said, ‘He’s the potential first-round pick,’” Freeman said.

                            Watch our videos and subscribe to our YouTube channel!
                            Isaiah Foskey is set to replace Daelin Hayes at vyper defensive end in 2021.
                            He has since learned the other player at Foskey’s vyper defensive end position – sophomore Jordan Botelho – has a mean streak unmatched by any teammate.

                            “He plays with the effort, attitude and reckless abandon that we need everyone on defense to play with,” Freeman said. “That’s why you’ve seen him flash, why you’ve seen him make some havoc plays.”

                            Those two former four-star recruits are the enticing starter kit for Notre Dame’s 2021 pass rush. Despite their relative lack of experience, they feel closer to two linchpins rather than starter and backup despite playing the same position. There’s enough buzz about their potential to think Notre Dame can avoid drop-off at that spot after losing fifth-round pick Daelin Hayes.

                            But first, they endured a spring of education. Freeman is keeping the vyper role from predecessor Clark Lea’s scheme. He is, though, tweaking its responsibilities. Foskey and Botelho spent the spring learning new duties in addition to building on their pass-rush skill.

                            “He’s putting the vypers into more linebacker/defensive end positions, so I’ve been working on a lot more drops and covering,” Foskey said in April. “But I’m still a pass rusher. I’m working on technical stuff, working with my hands, being physical at the point of attack.”

                            The Blue-Gold Game and spring practice footage Notre Dame released the last few weeks offered a peek at the vyper usage. They will still be important pass rushers, of course. Freeman will also ask them to drop into coverage more. In some snippets of the three-minute practice video, the vyper was aligned on the second level.

                            “It’s a little more multiple in coverage,” defensive line coach Mike Elston said. “We do a lot with that position now. We didn’t do as much dropping that guy, and a lot of it was zone or matchup. There are a lot of different coverages we execute with them now.”

                            Foskey and Hayes combined for 72 coverage snaps last year, per Pro Football Focus. Even if that number doesn’t go up too much – this is still a pass rush position with two of the defense’s best athletes, after all – coverage was a spring emphasis.


                            “I see corners doing it, chasing the hip and staying with them,” Foskey said. “It looks easy when they do it, but when you go out there it’s more challenging. That’s just more stuff I have to work on – getting hands on a guy when he’s about to break on a route, staying close to his hip.”

                            If the spring game is any indication, many of the vyper’s coverage snaps will be disguised or not obvious pre-snap. At times – mainly on third downs – a linebacker and three defensive linemen rushed while the fourth lineman dropped into the flat to cover. Often, that cover man was Foskey or Botelho.

                            On one second-quarter play in the spring game, Botelho took two steps toward the rusher and then dropped into underneath coverage, picking up running back Chris Tyree. Quarterback Tyler Buchner’s pass to a blanketed Tyree was incomplete.

                            But pass rushing production is still the priority. Foskey and Botelho each had a sack in the spring game. Botelho’s came one-on-one against tackle Tosh Baker. Foskey’s was on a stunt where he looped inside.

                            As tantalizing as their physical skill sets are, neither is close to fully developed or boasts loads of experience. Foskey played 23.5 snaps per game last year and has only 336 in his career. Botelho saw action on defense in one game as a freshman.

                            A starter’s workload is more than a 50 percent increase of Foskey’s 2020 usage. Hayes played 433 snaps in 12 games in 2020. Julian Okwara, the vyper before Hayes, played 571 snaps in 13 games in 2018. Botelho feels like a sub-package lock and could surpass Foskey’s 2020 usage as a backup. It’s likely they will be deployed together on third downs.

                            Foskey still finished second on the team with 4.5 sacks last season, but some of those were when he came unblocked. For Notre Dame’s pass rush to push upward from three straight years ranked between 30th and 40th nationally in sacks per game, it needs both vypers to win one-on-ones with frequency.

                            Sign up for Blue & Gold's FREE alerts and newsletter

                            “Foskey hasn’t played a whole lot of football,” Freeman said. “That’s a point of emphasis. We need to continue to get his football intelligence up and get him reps and reps and reps.”

                            Botelho’s development, meanwhile, requires harnessing his motor in addition to refining pass-rush technique and learning other spots.

                            “We talk about being disruptive,” Freeman said. “Jordan is one of the leaders of being disruptive. He’s playing extremely fast. He plays with a violence that sometimes you have to say, ‘Slow down a little bit.’

                            “He’s a guy we’ll use at multiple positions. We’ve experimented with him at linebacker, at vyper. He’s a guy you can move all over the field.”
                            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                            Comment


                            • Jordan better get at least .4 personal fouls per game.
                              Based Mullet Kid owns

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                Jordan better get at least .4 personal fouls per game.
                                The defense as a whole is going to be A LOT more penalized under Freeman lol.

                                But they're also gonna cause more havoc plays and (hopefully) create more turnovers, all while still being as stout as Lea's defenses in the red zone.

                                I'll trade the extra penalties between the 20's for more chaos all day.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

                                  The defense as a whole is going to be A LOT more penalized under Freeman lol.

                                  But they're also gonna cause more havoc plays and (hopefully) create more turnovers, all while still being as stout as Lea's defenses in the red zone.

                                  I'll trade the extra penalties between the 20's for more chaos all day.

                                  As long as the trade is 1:2 or greater, (penalties:havoc plays), We're all good. And I'd also like to see more forced TOs.

                                  Comment


                                  • Really good article from Thamel.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

                                      The defense as a whole is going to be A LOT more penalized under Freeman lol.

                                      But they're also gonna cause more havoc plays and (hopefully) create more turnovers, all while still being as stout as Lea's defenses in the red zone.

                                      I'll trade the extra penalties between the 20's for more chaos all day.

                                      I'm all for aggressive and -some- penalties due to aggression. What I'm not for is the 'Automatic First Down or Personal Foul' penalties. Jumping in the Zone on a blitz package, pass interference on a KNOW YOU'RE BEAT for TD or no support/tackle penalty; yes.

                                      Comment


                                      • Comment


                                        • I like everything about him so far and he has yet to coach an actual game. I've guzzled the kool aid on so many assistant coaches in the past. Cautiously thirsty.
                                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                          Comment


                                          • Amen.

                                            Comment


                                            • The day this man leaves is going to be a bad one... and he just got here... and has not coached a game yet.

                                              Comment


                                              • Why is everyone crowning him? He hasnt even coached single down for ND. Ill galdly eat crow three years from now but we are still headed for a 8-10 ranked class like normal.
                                                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                  Why is everyone crowning him? He hasnt even coached single down for ND. Ill galdly eat crow three years from now but we are still headed for a 8-10 ranked class like normal.
                                                  Look at the recruiting momentum on the defensive side. If this class winds up as low as 8-10 it will be because the offense weighed it down. Freeman's side of the ball is shaping up to be top-5 quality for sure.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

                                                    Look at the recruiting momentum on the defensive side. If this class winds up as low as 8-10 it will be because the offense weighed it down. Freeman's side of the ball is shaping up to be top-5 quality for sure.
                                                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

                                                      Looks at we're it's at now. Then throw in players that we either lead for or very likely could land. Isn't it?

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

                                                        Looks at we're it's at now. Then throw in players that we either lead for or very likely could land. Isn't it?
                                                        We have what 15 commits so far? Many more than several top 10 schools. Ranked 2-3 right now? 10-12 spots left? Once all the other teams start landing their commits, ND will fall no matter who they have left on the board. Its pie in the sky to think there are multiple 4-5 stars on the d side of the ball left yet to commit. Are there talented guys out here in play? Yes. Will we land enough of htem to get a TOP 5 class... no way. Again... I will galdly eat crow if it turns out different than it has any other previous year.

                                                        I posted an article in another threat about the percentage of blu chip kids on ND team versus say OSU, Bama, CLemson. THese guys average above 80% of their rosters being 4-5 stars. NDs BEST season was 70% and averages much less than that over BKs tenure. IF we get into the 80% range this year with Freeman... I amy consider that a win but we will need multiple consecutive years of recruting at tha tlevel to come close to the talent and depth stacked by those above us.
                                                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

                                                          We have what 15 commits so far? Many more than several top 10 schools. Ranked 2-3 right now? 10-12 spots left? Once all the other teams start landing their commits, ND will fall no matter who they have left on the board. Its pie in the sky to think there are multiple 4-5 stars on the d side of the ball left yet to commit. Are there talented guys out here in play? Yes. Will we land enough of htem to get a TOP 5 class... no way. Again... I will galdly eat crow if it turns out different than it has any other previous year.
                                                          I'm not saying overall top-5 (though it's not impossible should things fall right). I'm saying the D-side of recruiting will be top-5. I don't think it's unreasonable considering we'll likely be landing the #1 LB class in the nation and are trending well on DL and DB.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

                                                            I'm not saying overall top-5 (though it's not impossible should things fall right). I'm saying the D-side of recruiting will be top-5. I don't think it's unreasonable considering we'll likely be landing the #1 LB class in the nation and are trending well on DL and DB.
                                                            Yeah iDK about #1 LB class. It will need to be big to fit Freeman’s scheme but there are some glaring holes in our roster on both sides and it’s uncertain we fill those with the quality of kids to claims top 5 class
                                                            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                              Why is everyone crowning him? He hasnt even coached single down for ND. Ill galdly eat crow three years from now but we are still headed for a 8-10 ranked class like normal.
                                                              Without him maybe we're headed for a 12-15 class!

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                                                                Without him maybe we're headed for a 12-15 class!
                                                                COuld still be.... depending on how remaining 10-12 spots fill in.

                                                                ​​​​​​Brian Kelly’s Recruiting Classes At Notre Dame
                                                                Notre Dame’s best recruiting year in terms of class rank was in 2013 when they finished #5. It could have been even higher, but we had the Eddie Vanderdoes situation. Within the table below, I have Kelly’s 2012 class ranked #2 even though it had the lowest ranking under his reign at #17. The class only had 17 commitments, but they had an average ranking of .9121.

                                                                2012 was also the class that had Tee Shepard, Gunner Kiel, Davonte Neal, and Will Mahone. So... recruiting is just weird. The numbers never tell the real story of each class, but for right now it’s all we have to go with.

                                                                Here are Brian Kelly’s recruiting classes at Notre Dame using the 247 Composite Team Rankings."
                                                                THis article goes to 2019. 2020 = 18. 2021 = 9. Throwing out the hihgest and lowest outlyers we get an average of 12.5 no matter who is recruting lead.

                                                                Here is our BCR last 4 years. Id consider it a win if Freeman can close the gap. We will need to to win a Chanpionship. Im predicting a finish around 8-10.








                                                                I cant beleive Michigan has recruited better than us with blue chips but look how little they have done with it. Amazing how bad a coach Harbaugh is. lol
                                                                Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 06-23-2021, 03:01 PM.
                                                                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Had some fun with the 247 calculator. I used 25 recruits we "could" land or were trending with. If we dont land SIngleton, Nwankpa or any more 4 star OL... the number drops qucikly.

                                                                  I kept coming up with a Team score of 280-286 ish. This puts us in the 6-8 range compared ot last 2 years at best. For reference Top 5 classes have been 300 or more
                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                    Why is everyone crowning him? He hasnt even coached single down for ND. Ill galdly eat crow three years from now but we are still headed for a 8-10 ranked class like normal.
                                                                    I'm with you. Lotta people crowning BVG after the Michigan game in '14 and we see where that went. I'm not saying he won't do very well, but he has a high bar after our previous two DCs really turned things around.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                      I'm with you. Lotta people crowning BVG after the Michigan game in '14 and we see where that went. I'm not saying he won't do very well, but he has a high bar after our previous two DCs really turned things around.
                                                                      Cough cough Lax cough cough
                                                                      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post


                                                                        I cant beleive Michigan has recruited better than us with blue chips but look how little they have done with it. Amazing how bad a coach Harbaugh is. lol
                                                                        I wish we could reliably compare how much we spend on football compared to these other blue bloods. My intuition is that we're getting way more bang per buck here. Most of the teams on that list are outspending us by huge amounts, getting more blue chips, and still have less to show for it.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

                                                                          I wish we could reliably compare how much we spend on football compared to these other blue bloods. My intuition is that we're getting way more bang per buck here. Most of the teams on that list are outspending us by huge amounts, getting more blue chips, and still have less to show for it.
                                                                          Yeah thats my takeaway too. Especially UGA. and TAM. I saw wher the year Clemson won the ship their previous 3 year BCR was 53% so its not unheard of but highly unlikely.
                                                                          Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 06-23-2021, 03:22 PM.
                                                                          "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

                                                                            Yeah thats my takeaway too. Especially UGA. and TAM. I saw wher the year Clemson won the ship their previous 3 year BCR was 53% so its not unheard of but highly unlikely.
                                                                            with a future #1 overall generational QB.
                                                                            Prehistoric

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

                                                                              with a future #1 overall generational QB.
                                                                              Right...and an all time elite defensive line. Way underated compaerd to the time it came together that year
                                                                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                Here is our BCR last 4 years. Id consider it a win if Freeman can close the gap. We will need to to win a Chanpionship. Im predicting a finish around 8-10.
                                                                                The Freeman convo seems rather simple to evaluate to date no? The whole reason for the BCR is it’s simplicity.

                                                                                Defensive BCR under Lea (someone can correct my math):

                                                                                - 2021: 25%
                                                                                - 2020: 29%
                                                                                - 2019: 77%

                                                                                Lea is bringing down our BCR. The offensive recruiting has actually sustained our 55%. Do we believe Freeman can in 3YoY do better than that? I’d say definitively yes

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Originally posted by Dale View Post

                                                                                  The Freeman convo seems rather simple to evaluate to date no? The whole reason for the BCR is it’s simplicity.

                                                                                  Defensive BCR under Lea (someone can correct my math):

                                                                                  - 2021: 25%
                                                                                  - 2020: 29%
                                                                                  - 2019: 77%

                                                                                  Lea is bringing down our BCR. The offensive recruiting has actually sustained our 55%. Do we believe Freeman can in 3YoY do better than that? I’d say definitively yes
                                                                                  Id like to hope so. Seems impossible not to improve on a 25% lol. Was Lea's last classes really that bad? I get slightly better numbers around 33-37% from 247 ratings but still...yikes
                                                                                  Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 06-23-2021, 03:56 PM.
                                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • From the Composite I had 3 four stars and 9 three stars but could have miscounted or idk if 247 has one of those guys as a 4.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                                      From the Composite I had 3 four stars and 9 three stars but could have miscounted or idk if 247 has one of those guys as a 4.
                                                                                      There were a couple athletes listed I didnt count. Doesnt matter.. Still very poor. Its a valid point you bring up.
                                                                                      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Every DC we have had everyone has crowned them the savior of ND and the next HC

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
                                                                                          Every DC we have had everyone has crowned them the savior of ND and the next HC
                                                                                          I like Freeman but until he can pull All-American LB's from NOLA and the ATL, I'm going with this guy in the glorious jogging suit and Porsche Carrera polarized sunglasses.


                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by Dale View Post

                                                                                            The Freeman convo seems rather simple to evaluate to date no? The whole reason for the BCR is it’s simplicity.

                                                                                            Defensive BCR under Lea (someone can correct my math):

                                                                                            - 2021: 25%
                                                                                            - 2020: 29%
                                                                                            - 2019: 77%

                                                                                            Lea is bringing down our BCR. The offensive recruiting has actually sustained our 55%. Do we believe Freeman can in 3YoY do better than that? I’d say definitively yes
                                                                                            This is so hard to do a fair comparison though. Lea/Elko are coming in after the worst DC in Kelly era so easy to understand why their averages year 1/2 would be low. Freeman is coming in right after the best DC we've had in K lot era. Kids were already excited to play here.
                                                                                            Prehistoric

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

                                                                                              This is so hard to do a fair comparison though. Lea/Elko are coming in after the worst DC in Kelly era so easy to understand why their averages year 1/2 would be low. Freeman is coming in right after the best DC we've had in K lot era. Kids were already excited to play here.
                                                                                              No Lea fed of Elko Year 1 and then didn’t produce in recruiting 2 and 3.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by Dale View Post

                                                                                                No Lea fed of Elko Year 1 and then didn’t produce in recruiting 2 and 3.
                                                                                                Regardless it's just not apples to apples being the point. Freeman just has to maintain to exceed those 3 year numbers posted above.

                                                                                                Prehistoric

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

                                                                                                  Regardless it's just not apples to apples being the point. Freeman just has to maintain to exceed those 3 year numbers posted above.
                                                                                                  That’s not true though. By your argument Lea had to just maintain Elko and his recruiting production dropped from Elko. The majority of recruits’ comments play that out when they talk about Freeman. It’s not a knock on Lea as a coach, but he was not a good recruiter

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by Dale View Post

                                                                                                    That’s not true though. By your argument Lea had to just maintain Elko and his recruiting production dropped from Elko. The majority of recruits’ comments play that out. It’s not a knock on Lea as a coach, but he was not a good recruiter
                                                                                                    I'm certainly not arguing that he was but what did he have to sell. It wasn't early PT, it wasn't him being an established DC. He had never been one.

                                                                                                    Freeman has early PT and established DC, check and check.

                                                                                                    I maintain it won't be apples to apples. If Freeman can't hold a 3 year BCR average of 43.6 he will be a massive failure, imo.

                                                                                                    That's a low low bar.
                                                                                                    Prehistoric

                                                                                                    Comment




                                                                                                    • Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                                                      It's not a knock on Lea as a coach, but he was not a good recruiter
                                                                                                      This is the part that everybody likes to gloss over. And to be fair, I wouldn't say he was a bad recruiter, but he certainly wasn't as aggressive or involved as I would have liked to have seen. Or maybe he just needed to broaden his board a little (lot)? Either way, Freeman has proven to be a far more efficient recruiter which is exactly what this staff needs more of.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X