Marcus Freeman New DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by General Colon Bowel View Post

To bring it back to the comparison of Freeman vs Lea defenses - this year's defense has given up 22 points per game and scored 2 touchdowns (so essentially a net of 19.66 ppg). ND's offense shouldn't get credit for the defense's two touchdowns and ND's defense shouldn't get dinged for the 2 pick sixes from Coan and Buchner.

Then you've got 6 ND turnovers that led to 30 points for the other team where the opponent is starting out on average at ND's 41 yard line - almost in FG position.

And then apart from the defensive TDs, ND has also scored 45 points off turnovers created by ND's defense that gave the offense an average starting position of the opponents 39 yard line.

So while ND's defense was better last year, I don't think a ppg comparison really captures the whole picture. Through 6 games last year ND's O had only turned the ball over 4 times and the defense had forced half the turnovers as this year's defense with zero defensive TDs.

Football Outsiders has a defensive FEI rank that basically sums up all this data (field position, turnovers, yards per play, opponent quality, etc) into a ranking. ND is 16th this year. ND finished 24th last year (almost certainly would have been top 5-10ish through 6 games last year before the 2 Clemson games and Bama). The biggest weakness this year for ND is yards per play - which is a direct result of big plays caused by poor tackling. Almost every big play we've had guys in position and just missed. Definite cause for concern, but if we can clean this up then we could be looking at an elite defense. It's also worth wondering how the defense does if it has Liufau, Moala, Simon, Hinish vs. Wiscy/Cincy, or Bothelo on the depth chart as well.

When BK talks about needing a defense that sets up the offense and creates big plays, this is what he's talking about. To me the offense is almost entirely the problem this year. To be completely candid, I think it's worth wondering if the team is 5-1 this year with last year's defense. I don't think last year's defense is changing the outcome of the 10 points Cincy scored when given the ball at the 8 and the 17 respectively. And I don't think last year's defense scores 2 TDs and sets up the offense for 17 more points with short fields against Wisconsin. I do think the FSU, Toledo, and VT games would not have been as close though. So it's a give and take.

The one area I would like to see Freeman improve on is in game adjustments, as many have noted here. I loved the way Lea's defenses were able to really lock it down in the second half and adjust to take away what was working for the other team. We haven't shown as much of that ability so far this year.

But overall I don't think the outlook should be anything but cautiously optimistic for this defense.
    Really good stuff here. Some thoughts.

On the first bolded, I think it's fair to assume that without a better offense the end result might have still be a loss. But, I also don't think Lea ever game up a 5 play 80 yard TD drive, in 1 minute, before half. So, while the offense put the D in a bad position early in that game. The D and Freeman did themselves no favors with one of the worst end of half defenses I can remember. If that ball game is 10-0 entering the half. I think there is no doubt the flow of the game feels different. Even better, if they could've gotten the ball back with more time and advantageous field position, maybe they can get it to 10-3. Can't overlook how awful that drive was and how it affected the game. We also cut the score to 17-13 with 8 minutes to go. At that point, this is a completely open ball game. They immediately gave up another 6 play 75 yard TD drive in 3 minutes. Just from all the years watching Lea lock down regular defenses in clutch situations, I don't think that is happening. Even limiting them to FG there makes the game flow entirely different.

The second bolded, maybe the defense doesn't score 2 TD's because that's just insanely rare to do but I think Lea locks up Mertz easily. I believe our Havoc rate was higher for all of last year versus where it's at now, is that right? So, I think folks overall have a misunderstanding what Lea was doing and it's impact on the game. Our Havoc rate was really good last year. Lea would most definitely put the screws to any glaring weaknesses teams had and take advantage of it. The difference is, at least IMO, he was much better at knowing when to do so and when not to do so.

Ultimately, I think the Wisconsin game might be closer but still a win. The Cincy game, we'd have a better chance to win. And, the rest of the games wouldn't have been as close. No way FSU and Toledo score like that on Lea. So, I see it as a net negative so far. I think Lea would've done a better job in all games, sans Wisconsin (though it wouldn't have mattered), with the roster we have.

To the last bolded, that's exactly where I am. I believe that Freeman will be able to recruit at a better level overall. No doubt about that. But, I'm less optimistic than I was before that he'll be the coach that maximizes that talent into an overall defensive performance, week in and week out. It was the best hire possible and I'm very glad to have him. I guess, maybe, I was just a little more optimistic that we were getting an equal coach/play caller and a better recruiter. That seems less likely at the present.
    Last edited by Luckylucci; 10-11-2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

Really good stuff here. Some thoughts.

On the first bolded, I think it's fair to assume that without a better offense the end result might have still be a loss. But, I also don't think Lea ever game up a 5 play 80 yard TD drive, in 1 minute, before half. So, while the offense put the D in a bad position early in that game. The D and Freeman did themselves no favors with one of the worst end of half defenses I can remember. If that ball game is 10-0 entering the half. I think there is no doubt the flow of the game feels different. Even better, if they could've gotten the ball back with more time and advantageous field position, maybe they can get it to 10-3. Can't overlook how awful that drive was and how it affected the game. We also cut the score to 17-13 with 8 minutes to go. At that point, this is a completely open ball game. They immediately gave up another 6 play 75 yard TD drive in 3 minutes. Just from all the years watching Lea lock down regular defenses in clutch situations, I don't think that is happening. Even limiting them to FG there makes the game flow entirely different.

The second bolded, maybe the defense doesn't score 2 TD's because that's just insanely rare to do but I think Lea locks up Mertz easily. I believe our Havoc rate was higher for all of last year versus where it's at now, is that right? So, I think folks overall have a misunderstanding what Lea was doing and it's impact on the game. Our Havoc rate was really good last year. Lea would most definitely put the screws to any glaring weaknesses teams had and take advantage of it. The difference is, at least IMO, he was much better at knowing when to do so and when not to do so.

Ultimately, I think the Wisconsin game might be closer but still a win. The Cincy game, we'd have a better chance to win. And, the rest of the games wouldn't have been as close. No way FSU and Toledo score like that on Lea. So, I see it as a net negative so far. I think Lea would've done a better job in all games, sans Wisconsin (though it wouldn't have mattered), with the roster we have.

To the last bolded, that's exactly where I am. I believe that Freeman will be able to recruit at a better level overall. No doubt about that. But, I'm less optimistic than I was before that he'll be the coach that maximizes that talent into an overall defensive performance, week in and week out. It was the best hire possible and I'm very glad to have him. I guess, maybe, I was just a little more optimistic that we were getting an equal coach/play caller and a better recruiter. That seems less likely at the present.
      All really good points as well. I disagree on three things though.

1. This one is more a gripe about how Havoc Rate is calculated than actual disagreement with your statement. You're correct, ND's defense had a higher havoc rate last year. But the way havoc rate is calculated (if I'm understanding correctly) is: [TFLs (inc. sacks) + Passes Defended (inc. ints) + Fumbles Forced] / Plays. So equal weight is given to a one yard TFL as an interception returned for a touchdown. I believe ND's havoc rate last year was 20% and this year is 17.5%, however, this year's defense already has 1 more TD scored and is on pace for the same fumbles recovered and 2-3x the ints. If that stat was weighted in a way that gave more value to turnover creation, which I feel it should to accurately reflect the value of a turnover, then this year's defense would be rated more highly or at least on the same level.

2. Re: letting teams drive the field in a short period of time, just take a look at the TD drives we gave up in our 2 losses last year:

- 3 plays, 80 yards, 1:01
      - 6 plays, 72 yards 2:44
      - 10 plays, 88 yards, 1:49 (scored with 21 seconds left in 1st half)
      - 8 plays, 83 yards, 2:35
      - 7 plays, 79 yards, 2:36
      - 5 plays, 97 yards, 2:11
      - 6 plays, 84 yards, 2:27
      - 5 plays, 62 yards, 2:29

Granted, yes, Clemson and Bama were faaaar superior offenses than Cincy. But we weren't exactly making them work for it. Against a Bama, OU, Clemson - those types of drives are nearly inevitable. My hope, and I think this is BK's hope too, is that when we do get back to the playoffs we can win some of those games by being able to create a few turnovers to help our offense put points on the board. The idea is that we've traded a higher floor, lower ceiling defense for a lower floor with a higher ceiling. Unfortunately, we can't really know if this kind of havoc and turnover creation will translate when playing an elite offense, until we play one. But that's the idea. And if the idea is to win a Natty in BK's final years, then I am all for swinging for the fences.

3. I'm going to give Freeman a little more time before I decide he's a worse play caller than Lea. There's 2 elements to play calling imo - one is the system you design and the other is the in-game adjustments you make. A higher risk/reward system requires near perfection in execution - that level of execution takes time to get down and highly talented players to win their individual assignments. I expect the defense to improve in execution the rest of season and talent-wise with Freeman recruiting. And while Freeman may not ever be on Lea's level for in game adjustments, I don't think he intends to be. He believes his system can give his defenses the ability to attack and dictate the game whereas Lea's strength was in reacting and taking away. Of course some adjustments are always necessary and the 3 man fronts against FSU was inexcusable.

Comment

• Lucky and GCB, some really good stuff, I love this back and forth and I appreciate all of your analysis.
        IMO there are few things more demoralizing to an opponent than not being able to move the ball or score when you do move the ball. At the end of the day that is all I need my defense to do- keep their score down. If a coach is counting on his defense to score or supplement the offense, I dunno, maybe he needs to improve his offense and keep his resume up to date. Creating havoc one play and giving up explosive plays the next, allows teams to hang around, keeps them into it and puts you in shootouts that put more pressure on your offense and defense. That can’t be statistically represented but is huge in the emotionally charged atmosphere of college football.
        Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Colon Bowel View Post
          though.

1. This one is more a gripe about how Havoc Rate is calculated than actual disagreement with your statement. You're correct, ND's defense had a higher havoc rate last year. But the way havoc rate is calculated (if I'm understanding correctly) is: [TFLs (inc. sacks) + Passes Defended (inc. ints) + Fumbles Forced] / Plays. So equal weight is given to a one yard TFL as an interception returned for a touchdown. I believe ND's havoc rate last year was 20% and this year is 17.5%, however, this year's defense already has 1 more TD scored and is on pace for the same fumbles recovered and 2-3x the ints. If that stat was weighted in a way that gave more value to turnover creation, which I feel it should to accurately reflect the value of a turnover, then this year's defense would be rated more highly or at least on the same level.
          That is all correct. The argument against your change though would be turnovers being some level of luck. Personally I include pressures to my version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbar View Post
            Lucky and GCB, some really good stuff, I love this back and forth and I appreciate all of your analysis.
            IMO there are few things more demoralizing to an opponent than not being able to move the ball or score when you do move the ball. At the end of the day that is all I need my defense to do- keep their score down. If a coach is counting on his defense to score or supplement the offense, I dunno, maybe he needs to improve his offense and keep his resume up to date. Creating havoc one play and giving up explosive plays the next, allows teams to hang around, keeps them into it and puts you in shootouts that put more pressure on your offense and defense. That can’t be statistically represented but is huge in the emotionally charged atmosphere of college football.
            I think when push comes to shove though, the way you beat the truly elite teams is through a combination of TO's and defensive stops. Take Bama for example.

2021 - 38 points scored in loss to A&M, with critical TO at the 1 yard line, fumble in their own territory giving A&M a short field and they capitalized. A&M was outgained by over 150 yards!
            2020 - Undefeated
            2019 - Scored 41 against LSU and lost (had 3 TO's in terrible spots), scored 45 against Auburn and lost (2 INT's returned for Auburn)
            ​​​​​​
            Football has changed and while there is no excuse to give up 30+ points to most teams, the way to win the big games against elite teams is to score and turn the over team over.

Comment

• I still think this defense will continue to improve. Especially if he is here next year. Yes we are losing Hamilton, but our linebacker crew will be better our corners will be better. I think our Dline will be better. I really think that they will be better in the system next year.
              God Country Notre Dame
              http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

• Reading through all the comments about tackling....In the grand scheme of things you take away two plays.....Cam Hart missing open field on the first drive of the second half, which would've made it a 3 and out (really looked like a converted WR on that play) and the QB scramble to extend the VT late in the 4th, I think we tackled pretty well. Unfortunately both plays were VERY big plays that cost us 10 points minimum, which looking back still leaves me scratching my head at how we won that game. I need to take a breath this bye week too and realize that if you told me at the beginning of the year that we'd be 5-1 heading into the bye week I would've taken that all day long.
                Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                  I still think this defense will continue to improve. Especially if he is here next year. Yes we are losing Hamilton, but our linebacker crew will be better our corners will be better. I think our Dline will be better. I really think that they will be better in the system next year.
                  I agree, it's the first year of learning a new D and no amount of practice and film study is going to make it work perfectly. Being able to apply the instruction in the game against all of the adjustments where it begins to click. If the tackling was better or the O was clicking we're probably not talking that much about Freeman.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                    I still think this defense will continue to improve. Especially if he is here next year. Yes we are losing Hamilton, but our linebacker crew will be better our corners will be better. I think our Dline will be better. I really think that they will be better in the system next year.
                    Losses are a lot more than Hamilton. Drew White is seriously underrated. Hinish is valuable. The twins, Bauer, and Foskey won't necessarily be back. "Our corners will be better" unless they aren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                      Reading through all the comments about tackling....In the grand scheme of things you take away two plays.....Cam Hart missing open field on the first drive of the second half, which would've made it a 3 and out (really looked like a converted WR on that play) and the QB scramble to extend the VT late in the 4th, I think we tackled pretty well. Unfortunately both plays were VERY big plays that cost us 10 points minimum, which looking back still leaves me scratching my head at how we won that game. I need to take a breath this bye week too and realize that if you told me at the beginning of the year that we'd be 5-1 heading into the bye week I would've taken that all day long.
                      Tackling was atrocious in the first quarter. While the gains weren't massive, missed tackles were the difference in the first quarter of a 2 yard gain and a 5 yard gain. That's the difference between a successful run and not. It got better as the game went on, sans those two you mention, but the first quarter was brutal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post

I think when push comes to shove though, the way you beat the truly elite teams is through a combination of TO's and defensive stops. Take Bama for example.

2021 - 38 points scored in loss to A&M, with critical TO at the 1 yard line, fumble in their own territory giving A&M a short field and they capitalized. A&M was outgained by over 150 yards!
                        2020 - Undefeated
                        2019 - Scored 41 against LSU and lost (had 3 TO's in terrible spots), scored 45 against Auburn and lost (2 INT's returned for Auburn)
                        ​​​​​​
                        Football has changed and while there is no excuse to give up 30+ points to most teams, the way to win the big games against elite teams is to score and turn the over team over.
                        I posted a similar take to this above but apparently it was controversial... lol
                        In today’s CFB if you want to beat the big boys you have to outscore them. Defense is secondary. Holding any team to under 30 points should result in a win most of the time. Look at Bama losing. If you want to beat Bama you just have to outscore them and have a few TOs because you are not going to stop them defensively. Saban said this himself. Same with OSU and Clemson. I’d say our offensive output is what’s holding us back. Any serviceable Dthat generates TOs will be sufficient to win in CFB.
                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

I posted a similar take to this above but apparently it was controversial... lol
                          Nobody said your opinion was controversial haha. I just thought fitting A&Ms D as “serviceable” when they are full of NFL talent, some Day 1 NFL talent a bit simplified and to achieve the type of D you call serviceable, you need elite talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Nobody said your opinion was controversial haha. I just thought fitting A&Ms D as “serviceable” when they are full of NFL talent, some Day 1 NFL talent a bit simplified and to achieve the type of D you call serviceable, you need elite talent.
                            Elite talent without execution is what??? but yes....a MAC team is unlikely to fare well against a team full of elite talent just as I would suspect Alabama wouldnt fare well against a NFL team ;)

Reality is offense is prioritized by the rules over defense. If you want to win you have to score more than your opponent. Defense matters but not more than scoring more than your opponent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

Elite talent without execution is what??? but yes....a MAC team is unlikely to fare well against a team full of elite talent just as I would suspect Alabama wouldnt fare well against a NFL team ;)

Reality is offense is prioritized by the rules over defense. If you want to win you have to score more than your opponent. Defense matters but not more than scoring more than your opponent.
                              This makes me think of the answer I give to my wife when she asks "how did they win/lose"

Me: scored more/less than the other team
                              Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

This makes me think of the answer I give to my wife when she asks "how did they win/lose"

Me: scored more/less than the other team
                                It’s the only correct answer lol.

Comment

• https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tus...amp/7778434002
                                  "It’s challenging as a defensive guy to be able to adapt and adjust to the way the game is played now, but I think the rules in college football have sort of ignited the change throughout the game," Saban said. "Blocking three and a half yards down field on a pass play which leads to RPOs is a dramatic change in the way you play football. You need to be spread out to do that. To be able to block down field on a pass behind the line of scrimmage, which is just a rule that applies in college football, changes the game in terms of how you throw screens and how you pick people and run people in the flat. Those are real challenging things to try and defend. They all create tremendous run, pass conflicts for But Saban likes a challenge.

"I would be bored if we were still running the I-formation and I was a defensive coach," he said.

Saban also said that the points scored are fun to watch for fans. So, instead of trying to fight that, he and his program have adapted in recent years.

“We changed on offense because, as good a defense as we had, when we played Ole Miss and some of these spread teams that ran RPOs, they scored points against us," Saban said. "We would lose the game 44-41. I’m saying, 'we’ve got to change our style and be able to out-score people.' "

And they have.

Comment

• This started with you saying your statement was controversial when no one said it was and now I feel like you’re implying I’m disagreeing with your statement on offense when I’m not haha. No one disagrees with scoring more than your opponent. It’s pretty easy for Saban to say he’s gonna tweak his offense when he, again, has elite talent on both sides. You know why Saban’s RPO offense outscores Kiffin’s? Better Jimmys and Joes. Which again circles back to the original Lea vs Freeman where I just think Freeman’s coaching maybe not quite reaching that of Lea isn’t going to make a difference when he has the guys that he has the capable of recruiting that Lea doesn’t. If you still think we disagree then idk, I haven’t thought we’ve disagreed much besides just describing the same points haha

Comment

This started with you saying your statement was controversial when no one said it was and now I feel like you’re implying I’m disagreeing with your statement on offense when I’m not haha. No one disagrees with scoring more than your opponent. It’s pretty easy for Saban to say he’s gonna tweak his offense when he, again, has elite talent on both sides. You know why Saban’s RPO offense outscores Kiffin’s? Better Jimmys and Joes. Which again circles back to the original Lea vs Freeman where I just think Freeman’s coaching maybe not quite reaching that of Lea isn’t going to make a difference when he has the guys that he has the capable of recruiting that Lea doesn’t. If you still think we disagree then idk, I haven’t thought we’ve disagreed much besides just describing the same points haha
                                      Hahahaha. Yes probably. :$

Comment

• I'm in wait and see mode. The athletes Freeman is getting to run his defense are going to make his defense look good I think. Still needs to shore up the back end, and having Styles at rover would make us look real good.

Comment

• Food for thought....ND F+ defensive ranking across college football....

2021 To date - 13th
                                          2020 - 18th
                                          2019 - 13th
                                          2018 - 15th
                                          2017 - 17th

So if the season ended today, ND would have tied the best overall defensive ranking since BVG. ND's best defensive statistic at this point is how many drives allow a first down, which is 56% and is 10th best in the country. 2020 finished at 66%, 2019 was 60%, 2018 was 64%, 2017 was 63%.

So compared to last year thus far, 10% more of our opponents drives are failing to get a single first down. If the ND offense were on equal footing between the two years, I think we would be signing a much different tune about the defense thus far. IMO, that Marcus Freeman was able to produce what he has thus far with, if we are being honest, a make shift LB and CB crew, is nothing short of amazing. I think we are missing the forest for the trees personally.

Comment

• Freeman to USC…..

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
                                              Freeman to USC…..
                                              STOP!

Comment

• https://247sports.com/college/notre-...R8QhDk2pblq-iI

Putting in the work
                                                Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                                  Tommy Rees needs to shadow him so he can learn how to recruit.
                                                  Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

Comment

• Boy has he been disappointing so far.

A+ recruiter, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                                      Boy has he been disappointing so far.

A+ recruiter, though.
                                                      Love the recruiting, hate the defense.
                                                      Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

Comment

• Foskey is possibly going to set LB sack records.

Comment

• Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

Love the recruiting, hate the defense.
                                                          Samesies on Mickens too

Comment

• Some of you are overreacting.

Lea's mediocre recruiting and injuries have left Freeman without much to work with.

All things considered he's done a good job so far.

Comment

• The 3 man front needs to go period! This could have been another FSU game with this BS bend but don’t break inability to make in game adjustments. 15 receptions by their number one guy! F that. We were fortunate this wasn’t a lot closer. Freeman will be here a while because he is not HV material. Certainly not yet.

Comment

• Some of it I'll blame on scheme.
                                                                But I think the vast majority is we give up a huge amount of yards after initial contact.
                                                                Having trouble finding what the average is this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 5 or 6 yards against us.
                                                                That is the Joes not the Xs and Os.
                                                                RIP KMC 4/15/13

Comment

• Originally posted by DomerInHappyValley View Post
                                                                  Some of it I'll blame on scheme.
                                                                  But I think the vast majority is we give up a huge amount of yards after initial contact.
                                                                  Having trouble finding what the average is this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 5 or 6 yards against us.
                                                                  That is the Joes not the Xs and Os.
                                                                  Agreed. I’m imagining Freeman can and should DEFINITELY be making better adjustments but also don’t know if the scoreboard looks that different for most of these games. I was thinking of it this way, at times last year Lea would have been voluntarily playing old man Crawford over Griffith and Brown, brought in a transfer and a FR over Bracy, Kiser was a miracle COVID game story otherwise buried, Pryor buried and Bertrand was buried. That’s half your D tonight. Sure guys graduate and underclassmen need to be coached up to produce but guys are playing beyond meaningful/starter snaps that Lea didn’t want playing meaningful snaps LY.

Comment

• They are also playing due to a number of season ending injuries and I think I have come to the opinion that crippled old man crawford gave you more then Houston Griffith does

Comment

• USC also scored 29 points last time we played them. That performance was still seen as great job by Lea because they stifled Pittman who was talking all week. Lea was so good schematically that it was obvious to the trained or untrained eye week to week. But the Freeman backlash can be a bit much

Comment

• Crawford for his size was a good tackler. Three man rushes is Xs and Os and we have the Joes to play 4 D lineman two deep. I will take Clark Lea. We didn’t come close to an Int tonight with our so called aggressive guys flying all around defense.

Comment

USC also scored 29 points last time we played them
                                                                          27 actually

Comment

• Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
                                                                            Crawford for his size was a good tackler. Three man rushes is Xs and Os and we have the Joes to play 4 D lineman two deep. I will take Clark Lea. We didn’t come close to an Int tonight with our so called aggressive guys flying all around defense.
                                                                            Bo Bauer isn’t gonna be happy you’re taking his INT off the board

Crawford also led the team in missed tackles LY

Comment

• Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
                                                                              Crawford for his size was a good tackler. Three man rushes is Xs and Os and we have the Joes to play 4 D lineman two deep. I will take Clark Lea. We didn’t come close to an Int tonight with our so called aggressive guys flying all around defense.
                                                                              We had a pick almost go for 6…. Also the play that was almost called for targeting was close to an INT too off the top of my head.
                                                                              .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                                                                We had a pick almost go for 6…. Also the play that was almost called for targeting was close to an INT too off the top of my head.
                                                                                That int was a lineman tipped jump ball so not due to good pass coverage. Felt more like a pop up fumble. Bo never should have let himself get tackled by a QB. Wasted a first and goal from the 4. TB needs to play QB inside the 10.

Comment

USC also scored 29 points last time we played them. That performance was still seen as great job by Lea because they stifled Pittman who was talking all week. Lea was so good schematically that it was obvious to the trained or untrained eye week to week. But the Freeman backlash can be a bit much
                                                                                  I would say the 2019 sc team was much better than this team.

Comment

• Good grief, we gave up 16 points. Freeman is 7 games in with these guys on defense.

Comment

• I have two issues with the D and I'm fairly certain they're both fixable:

1) Too much time not using 4 DL. Still struggling to figure out why Freeman is insistent on it sometimes. I think it's clear that schematically he prefers 3 over 4 DL, but if that's the personnel we have right now on the team then why not use it? It's clearly effective. STOP. LINING. FOSKEY. UP. AT. THE. 2ND. LEVEL.

2) Tackling. WTF?? I mean, it's BAD. SC didn't have many big plays other than London's 40y catch. I would venture to guess 1/2 the rest of their yardage was after the catch. All too often their RBs were hit behind the lone, but would then fall forward for 4, 5, 6 yards. Same with the receivers (oddly enough big bodies TEs seemed to go right down). Sure up the tackling and I think the optics become MUCH better.

Comment

• ND vs USC 2019
                                                                                        USC total yards- 426
                                                                                        USC passing- 255 yards total/ 7.1 yards a play
                                                                                        USC rushing- 171 yards total/4.9 yards a play
                                                                                        27 total points surrendered

ND vs USC 2021
                                                                                        USC total yards- 428
                                                                                        USC passing- 299 yards total/8.1 yards a play
                                                                                        USC rushing- 129 yards total/3.9 yards a play
                                                                                        16 total points surrendered

Very similar performances from the coordinators
                                                                                        Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• 30
                                                                                          28
                                                                                          45
                                                                                          27
                                                                                          37
                                                                                          26
                                                                                          16

Comment

• "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• USC had given up 7 sacks on the year prior to last night where we had 3.

People are looking for stuff to complain about. Specifically, I think some people have an issue with Freeman that for the life of me I cannot figure out.
                                                                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                                                                I have two issues with the D and I'm fairly certain they're both fixable:

1) Too much time not using 4 DL. Still struggling to figure out why Freeman is insistent on it sometimes. I think it's clear that schematically he prefers 3 over 4 DL, but if that's the personnel we have right now on the team then why not use it? It's clearly effective. STOP. LINING. FOSKEY. UP. AT. THE. 2ND. LEVEL.

2) Tackling. WTF?? I mean, it's BAD. SC didn't have many big plays other than London's 40y catch. I would venture to guess 1/2 the rest of their yardage was after the catch. All too often their RBs were hit behind the lone, but would then fall forward for 4, 5, 6 yards. Same with the receivers (oddly enough big bodies TEs seemed to go right down). Sure up the tackling and I think the optics become MUCH better.
                                                                                                Foskey has lined up not on the DL 18% of his snaps. Now some may say that’s 18% too much but it’s clearly not the preference. He still lines up on the DL the vast majority of the time

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                                  USC had given up 7 sacks on the year prior to last night where we had 3.

People are looking for stuff to complain about. Specifically, I think some people have an issue with Freeman that for the life of me I cannot figure out.
                                                                                                  I think really there were only a couple of big plays by USC as well so it’s not like there were huge busts like at the beginning of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                                                                    I have two issues with the D and I'm fairly certain they're both fixable:

The 3-2-6 scheme seems to becoming more popular against pass happy teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

I agree with you!

I guess if LSU calls him in the offseason...we should just let them have him!?!?

The D could use some TLC on their tackling and yes the scheme has changed from what Lea ran.

We are a 1 loss team and 7 games into his ND career; hard for me to complain about Freeman....

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X