No announcement yet.

Tommy Rees - Offensive Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we please run an occasional wildcat? WHo would be the right guy to do it? Especially when we are struggling in the run game. Read option won’t be happening with Coan. QB draw maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
      Can we please run an occasional wildcat? WHo would be the right guy to do it? Especially when we are struggling in the run game. Read option won’t be happening with Coan. QB draw maybe.
      BeatSC is Charlie Weis?
      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Wildcat is a lame.
        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• We're still waiting for Avery Davis to throw the ball.

Really, it's probably best to put Buchner in for some run-first packages if you want to go that route.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
            Can we please run an occasional wildcat? WHo would be the right guy to do it? Especially when we are struggling in the run game. Read option won’t be happening with Coan. QB draw maybe.
            Does wildcat make the run game better?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
              We're still waiting for Avery Davis to throw the ball.

Really, it's probably best to put Buchner in for some run-first packages if you want to go that route.
              Not endorsing this necessarily, but I was thinking the same thing. Either Buchner to get some burn and reps, or Avery Davis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Does wildcat make the run game better?
                No. It worked in like 2002 for the Miami Dolphins for maybe 3 plays before the defense figured it out. Since then the wildcat has gained a cumulative total of 13 yards across all levels of football. (citation needed).

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post

No. It worked in like 2002 for the Miami Dolphins for maybe 3 plays before the defense figured it out. Since then the wildcat has gained a cumulative total of 13 yards across all levels of football. (citation needed).
                  FSU scored a touchdown on us using wildcat

Comment

• Originally posted by GrangerIrish24 View Post

FSU scored a touchdown on us using wildcat
                    I have a hunch it would have worked without wildcat

Comment

doesnt mean they didnt use it

Comment

• In general terms, the uniqueness and novelty of the wildcat has run its course.

Comment

• Will Coan ever keep it on a zone read? He's going to have to run at some point. I look at JT Daniels at Georgia and wonder why any defense would even blink at him and his "read." I'm very curious to see how this game is called.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                            Will Coan ever keep it on a zone read? He's going to have to run at some point. I look at JT Daniels at Georgia and wonder why any defense would even blink at him and his "read." I'm very curious to see how this game is called.
                            I would be surprised if he runs it, but Coan is a threat to pull it out and throw it. Wisconsin liked to do that a fair amount.

Comment

lmao. Good one

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

I would be surprised if he runs it, but Coan is a threat to pull it out and throw it. Wisconsin liked to do that a fair amount.
                                RPO is the "new" Read-option.
                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• We really gotta get the OL figured out in a hurry. You can't consistently run an offense with the mess we have going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                    We really gotta get the OL figured out in a hurry. You can't consistently run an offense with the mess we have going on.
                                    Not sure if you watched/listened to Bk's post game presser, but I'm slightly encouraged that it sounds like he and Tommy are going to put their heads together and stop tinkering with how they've been calling the games offensively, and just focus on their strengths. Here was the full quote:

"Then offensively, I thought we would get to a run game that we felt comfortable with sooner. But on the other hand, I think the personnel is driving a lot of this in terms of making it difficult to settle on something because we have some guys that really can make plays and we're a little hesitant I think at times to say, 'Alright this is who we're going to be.' I think we got to stop tinkering and say, 'Alright, this is it. Let's go.' So we're kind of in a transition and as I told the guys in the locker room, starting Monday we have to really make it simpler for everybody."

To me, that means air-raid with Coan and more under center for run/play action looks, and RPO and option with Buchner. I assume we aren't going to be seeing too many more read options with Coan in there because through two games, the D is not respecting Coan as a run-threat whatsoever, nor should they, and we are getting blown up when they key on the RBs.

Then with Buchner, he showed a lot that will keep defenses honest. He came in, ran the ball really well, but showed he can be versatile in this offense with the RPO. Toledo tried to get cute and come at him with the CB blitz on the short side of the field, and TB12 burned them. He was so composed and threw a strike to Tyree for a big play TD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

Not sure if you watched/listened to Bk's post game presser, but I'm slightly encouraged that it sounds like he and Tommy are going to put their heads together and stop tinkering with how they've been calling the games offensively, and just focus on their strengths. Here was the full quote:

TLDR
                                      "Just pass the damn ball"

Comment

• Back before we had an offensive line, game plan was short passes

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

TLDR
                                          "Just pass the damn ball"
                                          haha, that was basically the gist of it. Sounds like they're going to stop tinkering and play to our strengths...which at this juncture, is an air-raid with Coan. Buchner will continue to play as well

Comment

haha, that was basically the gist of it. Sounds like they're going to stop tinkering and play to our strengths...which at this juncture, is an air-raid with Coan. Buchner will continue to play as well
                                            - Air-raid Coan
                                            - Run first Tyler
                                            - Lull the D to sleep on no runs
                                            - Release Kyren at the right moments for gash rushes
                                            - Win the Natty

Leak/Tebow 2.0

Comment

• Interesting how Brian Kelly has had success with hiring Defensive Coordinators but not Offensive Coordinators - defined as, coaches that have gone on from Notre Dame and coached at Power 5 schools (i.e. others at the top of the industry hired them away)

List of OC's: Charley Molnar, Chuck Martin, Mike Denbrock, Mike Sanford, Chip Long, Tom Reese
                                              List of DC's: Bob Diaco, Brian VanGorder, Mike Elko, Clark Lea, Marcus Freeman

I see Tom Reese falling into the same category. Crystal Ball has him as the OC at Northern Illinois within 3 years

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishDan View Post
                                                Interesting how Brian Kelly has had success with hiring Defensive Coordinators but not Offensive Coordinators - defined as, coaches that have gone on from Notre Dame and coached at Power 5 schools (i.e. others at the top of the industry hired them away)

List of OC's: Charley Molnar, Chuck Martin, Mike Denbrock, Mike Sanford, Chip Long, Tom Reese

I see Tom Reese falling into the same category. Crystal Ball has him as the OC at Northern Illinois within 3 years
                                                His name is Rees.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

His name is Rees.
                                                  It never ceases to amaze me how many people misspell Tomy Reesese's name and Everrettt Gholsenson.

If you don't know, just look it up.

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how many people misspell Tomy Reesese's name and Everrettt Gholsenson.

If you don't know, just look it up.
                                                    Weren't those guys playing with Dayne Christ?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishDan View Post
                                                      Interesting how Brian Kelly has had success with hiring Defensive Coordinators but not Offensive Coordinators - defined as, coaches that have gone on from Notre Dame and coached at Power 5 schools (i.e. others at the top of the industry hired them away)

Rees has a win against the #1 team on his resume (No matter how you slice it or try to excuse it). That's something the other guys can't say.

I'll also say that he's done a great job getting our QBs ready to play. I think we've gotten the most out of Book, Coan, and Buckner under his watch. Any offensive struggles we've had the last two seasons have been out of his realm of influence: ie weak receiving group last year, and struggling OL this year.

Comment

• Just here to say that I still love Reesus as the OC and he’s the right guy for the job. I like his play calling. We’ll see if he picks up the air raid quick enough in the next few weeks.

Air raid with 4 TE sets and a speed back would be awesome.
                                                        Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Not really a Tommy post just about offensive play calling. Saw this on Twitter, Yurcich burned Auburn at least 3 times on hyper speed hurry up and the TE was wide open. Here is why on one of them lol

Comment

Not really a Tommy post just about offensive play calling. Saw this on Twitter, Yurcich burned Auburn at least 3 times on hyper speed hurry up and the TE was wide open. Here is why on one of them lol
                                                            Didnt New England do something similar in the 14' divisional round? I remember something similar to this by them and thinking "wow, why isnt this utilized more?" I assume it might be a little difficult for ND to pull off since I'm assuming Mayer is someone that teams will make sure they locate before a play and he wouldn't fly under the radar enough. But definitely something to think about.

Comment

• He was not my favorite player when he was here and wouldn’t hurt my feelings if he isn’t back as the OC.
                                                              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Fire him tomorrow. Looked like a terrible hire at the time, he's done nothing to disprove our concerns.

Comment

• I still can't believe Kelly turned over Notre Dames offense to a 28 year old cutting his teeth as an OC. Laziest hire ever. He shouldn't even be QB coach.

Comment

• It’s not his fault. ND could’ve outbid Oregon for Joe Moorhead. Instead they gifted Rees a job he was extraordinarily unqualified for. I would take that job too.

Comment

• Kelly's unwillingness to make offensive hires outside of his comfort zone will be why he'll never a championship at ND.

Rees and Quinn should be somewhere coaching in the MAC.

Comment

• I firmly believe that Rees is a very smart football mind. And, I think he has a future in coaching. I really do. But, I think he’s shown that in recruiting and coaching, he’s having troubles handling everything that goes into being an OC. He’s not been able to put together complete offenses and that should be the standard. Some games, some quarters, sometimes but not consistently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                          I firmly believe that Rees is a very smart football mind. And, I think he has a future in coaching. I really do. But, I think he’s shown that in recruiting and coaching, he’s having troubles handling everything that goes into being an OC. He’s not been able to put together complete offenses and that should be the standard. Some games, some quarters, sometimes but not consistently.
                                                                          Ex: The first drive of the game was a masterpiece until Coan made the high school QB mistake near the goal line. Compared to the rest of the first half.

Comment

• I can't imagine Rees getting fired in the middle of a season, but I also can't imagine him coming back next year. He's not good at his job.
                                                                            60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                                              I can't imagine Rees getting fired in the middle of a season, but I also can't imagine him coming back next year. He's not good at his job.
                                                                              BK will not get rid of his protege'. We are stuck with him and that is one of my biggest concerns when we hired him. Unless Swarbrick forces the issue like he did with BVG.

Not likely because BK has a lot more power then he did when BVG had to be jettisoned.
                                                                              Last edited by TNUtoNotreDame; 10-02-2021, 11:33 PM.
                                                                              Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

Comment

• Saw a post in the /r/cfb gameday thread summarizing Rees' playcalling today as follows:
                                                                                • We tried play action on 4th and 18.
                                                                                • I thought it might actually be a run.

Comment

• The problem with Kelly hiring Rees as his OC is that he *had* to hit with that hire. If he didn’t, then it would be extremely hard to see him firing his star QB and coaching protege. It’s just a terrible look all around.

I don’t know that it’s hit and now I don’t know what you do if you’re Kelly and Notre Dame.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinKSU View Post
                                                                                    The problem with Kelly hiring Rees as his OC is that he *had* to hit with that hire. If he didn’t, then it would be extremely hard to see him firing his star QB and coaching protege. It’s just a terrible look all around.

I don’t know that it’s hit and now I don’t know what you do if you’re Kelly and Notre Dame.
                                                                                    Nothing... If it gets too bad Kelly will take total control and Rees will collect a check. I do not see Kelly getting rid of him.
                                                                                    Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

Comment

I don’t know that it’s hit
                                                                                      How could it possibly be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                                        I firmly believe that Rees is a very smart football mind. And, I think he has a future in coaching. I really do. But, I think he’s shown that in recruiting and coaching, he’s having troubles handling everything that goes into being an OC. He’s not been able to put together complete offenses and that should be the standard. Some games, some quarters, sometimes but not consistently.
                                                                                        Rees is learning on the job. As a QB he tended to over think and lose the moment. He’s doing the same now. Too much thinking not enough doing.

Comment

The problem with Kelly hiring Rees as his OC is that he *had* to hit with that hire. If he didn’t, then it would be extremely hard to see him firing his star QB and coaching protege. It’s just a terrible look all around.

When I was about to graduate from college in asked my dad if I could work for his financial institution. He told me no. He said it would be far too awkward for his subordinates to discipline or fire me.

I was pissed at the time. But i get it now. BK hired a former player. And I'm not blaming Tommy for today, but you don't hire people you have an attachment to. It doesn't work.
                                                                                          Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• The worse I’ve seen out of this young man. Started at the 5 on the first drive, and got worse. He’s bad

Comment

• Tosh is the worst I’ve ever seen

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                                                Tosh is the worst I’ve ever seen
                                                                                                that is hyperbole

Comment

• Josh Heupel, in his fifth game at UT, had his offense drop 62 points on the road against an SEC team.

Is building an offense really that difficult? Or only at ND?

Comment

• So was Tommy in Kelly’s ear saying put Drew in and his request was denied or were both coaches stubbornly saying we need to stick it out with Jack? Kelly flushed the first half down the toilet, shameful. Any tidbits from the post game presser? Did anyone challenge Kelly?

Comment

• Kelly got this hire wrong. Rees needed another few years as an offensive assistant or analyst. Or maybe...I don't know... being an offensive coordinator somewhere else before trying it at Notre fu*king Dame!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X