Tommy Rees - Offensive Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NDisme View Post
    Call it what you want doesnít change the fact that none of them are household names. Canít come up empty with the class you just signed. Austinís last year has nothing to do with injury. Keys and Lenzyís first 4 games this year had nothing to do with injuries
    That’s not accurate

Comment

• Originally posted by 317Irish View Post
      Thatís not accurate
      Whatís not? Bottom line none of those receivers have done much. Whether itís injury, suspension it doesnít matter, canít have an entire WR class not make any impact by year 3

Comment

• Originally posted by NDisme View Post
        Whatís not? Bottom line none of those receivers have done much. Whether itís injury, suspension it doesnít matter, canít have an entire WR class not make any impact by year 3
        Ben's got a lot of heart, McKinley's a great blocker, and Davis can show some good bursts of speed. Thankful for those guys, but damn I'd love to have a few guys with Amari Rodgers' speed and athleticism.

Comment

• WR corps are made legendary by having a running attack that makes play action 2nd and short turn into ESPN highlight reels. BAMA made this happen for years with NFL quality RBs. I mean, they have had complete RB studs for a decade. ND has converted WRs playing RB. Big difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
            Ben's got a lot of heart, McKinley's a great blocker, and Davis can show some good bursts of speed. Thankful for those guys, but damn I'd love to have a few guys with Amari Rodgers' speed and athleticism.
            Kid went to Knoxville Catholic, same school as Harrison Smith. Great program there.
            "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Wingman Ray View Post
              WR corps are made legendary by having a running attack that makes play action 2nd and short turn into ESPN highlight reels. BAMA made this happen for years with NFL quality RBs. I mean, they have had complete RB studs for a decade. ND has converted WRs playing RB. Big difference.
              That's Brian Kelly and staffs fault. Compete and stop getting bitch slapped by the elite teams when it counts

Comment

• If we wanna see receivers with athleticism and elite speed....

Then you'll have to watch the Ohio St Alabama and Clemson games. You will not see them playing for us
                Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• not sure where else to put this I guess falls under Rees at the moment. Saban on defending ND versus how others did so.

Positive Spin: Most schools cannot recruit personnel of all types, so schools are recruiting essentially Nickel defenses and NDs heavy personnel represents a mismatch

Negative Spin: Bama can recruit to our personnel, need a off speed pitch to throw to the big dogs who can match strength on strength

Comment

• A couple of things I was really disappointed the offense didn’t do more of:

1. Play action
                    2. Tempo.

in general more multiple but mainly those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

not sure where else to put this I guess falls under Rees at the moment. Saban on defending ND versus how others did so.

Positive Spin: Most schools cannot recruit personnel of all types, so schools are recruiting essentially Nickel defenses and NDs heavy personnel represents a mismatch

Negative Spin: Bama can recruit to our personnel, need a off speed pitch to throw to the big dogs who can match strength on strength
                      Bama gets the best of everything.

They do play rip liz, which with their high end personnel, is hard to overcome.
                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• That's just me.
                        lol

If Tommy is smart and I think he is, we'll see him evolve and introduce some more strategies. Hard to expect him to be hitting on all cylinders in just a couple of years. Would be nice if he spent some off season time with other OC's to pick their brains.

Comment

• Our upstart OC ran into Saban, who he couldn't beat with a QB that rarely threw the ball >30 yards down field? Yes, he could've thrown some more wrinkles into the game plan but really think about what he was working with.

Our fastest WR was hamstrung.
                          Our breakout WR/difference maker was lost to injury for the season.

Really, I'm just grateful we had such an exciting year given the limitations we had. Running jumbo against most teams works. When you step up in competition, you must have dynamic playmakers and you must be able to change things on the fly. We simply didn't have the personnel to change what we were doing. I think we got everything we could out of that team and that leaves me satisfied.

I hope our future teams can build on this and take us further.

Comment

• PLEASE RUN THE ROCKET SCREEN AND DELAYED COUNTER! That's all I have been asking for since 2016

Comment

• Part of the reason I think there’s little to entertaining Pyne/Buchner as a starter is a hunch that Tommy has been sitting on a expanded playbook. Coan let’s you skip a few chapters and straight to more installs

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Part of the reason I think there’s little to entertaining Pyne/Buchner as a starter is a hunch that Tommy has been sitting on a expanded playbook. Coan let’s you skip a few chapters and straight to more installs
                                If so, what was the reason for sitting on it last year? I guess I can see why we wouldn't go full vert given Book's (and our WRs) limitations, but RPO into a slant seems like that should've been in his wheelhouse.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post

If so, what was the reason for sitting on it last year? I guess I can see why we wouldn't go full vert given Book's (and our WRs) limitations, but RPO into a slant seems like that should've been in his wheelhouse.
                                  More of a Book discussion but either the OL, just not wanting to make mistakes, other, whatever it was something prevented Book from being able to throw a slant, RPO or not. Two basic RPOs are slant and bubble so I assume whatever it was with Book took that out of the playbook.

Comment

Not sure Book with his height makes throwing off platform slants very easy for him
                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• It always seemed like Book was not great on read option plays. It almost seemed like those plays were called ahead of time or he had already made up his mind to give or keep. I think that was something Tommy saw as well and that kind of indecision wasn't worth it so they pulled those kinds of reads. Whatever kept Book from throwing those, I really hope we see it as another component of this offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post
                                        It always seemed like Book was not great on read option plays. It almost seemed like those plays were called ahead of time or he had already made up his mind to give or keep. I think that was something Tommy saw as well and that kind of indecision wasn't worth it so they pulled those kinds of reads. Whatever kept Book from throwing those, I really hope we see it as another component of this offense.
                                        I think that's a philosophy thing. ND did the same thing with Golson. I remember the Purdue game with the offense stuck in neutral against a bad defense because Purdue just ignored the QB on the fake zone read and crashed the RB.

Comment

• From BK today:

You know, you establish those things when you get on the field. And so, when we went into last year, you know, we knew that we had established ourselves on the field with a returning offensive line. So, we were going to build it with a returning offensive line and a quarterback. And we felt like that was going to be with the certainty of the offensive line and the quarterback, and not knowing what we had in the wide receiver port, we were going to commit ourselves to being a team that was going to exert its physicality on the offensive line.

Now we move into '21 with less certainty on the offensive line, less certainty at the quarterback position. And, you know, now we know that we've got to score points. So, we're going to go into this spring, and we're going to kind of find out where it is that this offense will operate most efficiently. And so, where we had a much better understanding of where we were going to go, this spring is really about trying to establish how will this offense serve itself best with the players that we have, and those that will be playing a great deal for us serve itself best in terms of scoring points. This is about scoring. And so, we're going to use this spring in preseason to kind of, you know, put that together.
                                          https://247sports.com/college/notre-...2/#163603702_9

Comment

• That’s music to my ears. My worry was BK had come to favor a physical offense because it allowed ND to more consistently beat inferior teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post
                                              It always seemed like Book was not great on read option plays. It almost seemed like those plays were called ahead of time or he had already made up his mind to give or keep. I think that was something Tommy saw as well and that kind of indecision wasn't worth it so they pulled those kinds of reads. Whatever kept Book from throwing those, I really hope we see it as another component of this offense.
                                              Zaire was the only QB I've seen under Kelly that could run the Read Option successfully on a somewhat consistent level (Limited sample size obviously). Prior to his injury he was really good at reading the edge guy and either keeping it or handing off. He was really good against LSU in the bowl game, Texas, etc. He lost that step after the injury though, he was noticeably slower and lost some confidence too. Golson, Hendrix, Wimbush all struggled with the Read Option. Tommy obviously doesn't count, and I don't remember if Crist even ran it.

Comment

Zaire was the only QB I've seen under Kelly that could run the Read Option successfully on a somewhat consistent level (Limited sample size obviously). Prior to his injury he was really good at reading the edge guy and either keeping it or handing off. He was really good against LSU in the bowl game, Texas, etc. He lost that step after the injury though, he was noticeably slower and lost some confidence too. Golson, Hendrix, Wimbush all struggled with the Read Option. Tommy obviously doesn't count, and I don't remember if Crist even ran it.
                                                Crist ran it a bit, and I believe he actually read it ok. Kizer had his moments that seemed like he read it alright, but I can't tell if they were calls or actual reads.

Comment

Tommy obviously doesn't count.
                                                  Only reason we didn't run read option with Tommy is because we wanted to give the other team a chance. Look at those wheels:

https://twitter.com/rakesofmallow/st...337978370?s=20

Comment

• I was always waiting for the stretcher to come out when Tommy ran during his tenure. The only football player I can think of that I WAS probably faster than.

Him and maybe Tony Siragusa.
                                                    "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

Only reason we didn't run read option with Tommy is because we wanted to give the other team a chance. Look at those wheels:

https://twitter.com/rakesofmallow/st...337978370?s=20
                                                      Tommy once again saving the 2012 regular season. It ranks #3 among the Michigan games I attended. The monsoon game in 2008 comes in at #2, and of course the 2014 shutout going 37-0 tops them all.

Comment

Tommy once again saving the 2012 regular season. It ranks #3 among the Michigan games I attended. The monsoon game in 2008 comes in at #2, and of course the 2014 shutout going 37-0 tops them all.
                                                        The 2014 game was spectacular. Easily my favorite game I attended at ND stadium. I've seen the place get loud before but the crowd smelled blood from the beginning.

Comment

#RememberTheSix

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                          Working...
                                                          X