Tommy Rees - Offensive Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
    Really surprised Rees doesn't want his QB's to do this more. Or surprised he hadn't, even with 3 year vet Ian Book. That was Rees's biggest advantage as a QB. His ability to read/diagnose pre-snap.

This is from Kelly's presser yesterday.

Everything Brian Kelly Said Monday Ahead of Notre Dame-UNC (247sports.com)
    Um, what? Counting defenders in the box and audibling into a run to take advantage of favorable numbers is one of the first and most basic reads that a QB is taught to do. I had assumed every college program was doing that on a regular basis. Is it really possible that we, with our OL this struggles this year, weren't giving Coan the option to throw instead when our opponents stacked the box?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Um, what? Counting defenders in the box and audibling into a run to take advantage of favorable numbers is one of the first and most basic reads that a QB is taught to do. I had assumed every college program was doing that on a regular basis. Is it really possible that we, with our OL this struggles this year, weren't giving Coan the option to throw instead when our opponents stacked the box?
      Most of that is on the QB but some is also on the OL I’d guess, and I believe Alt’s communication was praised so some continuity on the OL could be a factor

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Can you describe some of what we are not running others are?
        Regardless of what they're running compared to the elite programs the results and execution aren't there.

That's all that matters.

There really isn't anything offensively week to week that you can say ND does well consistently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Yes, but I thought it was common knowledge that Book hadn't been doing that last year either. Long ran a lot of RPO's with him in 2018 but to my knowledge that came down a lot in 2019 and very little in 2020 with Rees. For as seasoned as Book was, I always found it odd that they didn't give him more control over the offense. With that said, I think Kelly (like a lot of us) realized that besides Rees other QB's didn't have a lot of success with it early in his tenure.

Also, while Jamie U is a much smarter man than I, I don't know if some of those plays are really RPO's or pre-snap decisions based on the box and coverage. There is also a little bit of a difference between RPO's and calling audibles based on numbers in the box. When Kelly was calling plays for Rees. He would send in a run with a pass option or vice versa. Based on the box, Tommy was responsible for getting them in the right play. An RPO is just one play call where the QB has an option defender that they need to read.

Because, in that play to Austin, who's the option defender that Coan is reading? It looks to me like he's noticing that there is 8 in the box with a S creeping down and favorable space/off coverage outside for Austin. So he chucks it out to him. That's more of the former than the latter, IMO. The Styles play looks like a real RPO as he watching 35 get sucked inside so he throws it out to him.

Comment

• Jamie was probably focusing on how the OL came out

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

I see this a lot, so I'm not targeting you, BUT...

TR the OC and TR the QB coach should be considered two separate entities. I feel like he's coming along as an OC -- learning on the job unfortunately, but learning nonetheless. There is promise IMO. As for QB recruiter/developer? Well, that remains to be seen and (SO FAR) has left a lot to be desired. I think Buchner's development and who Tommy can recruit to go with Angelli in '22 and/or the '23 class will go a long way in determining that...
              I think you're right on the OC, but I like a lot of what I've seen so far. There is certainly room to grow, but we were an easy dropped pass in the 1st half and a victory formation at USC's doorstep from having a 45-16 score against our rival. We found something that worked and the offense was running about as good as it has all year.

I think his QB work as actually been pretty good given the circumstances. The jury is still out till we see how Buckner progresses as he'll be the most talented QB to stick around if all goes well, but arguably Tommy has gotten a lot of production out of less talent in his time as QBC. Book played above his 3 star booking, and I think it can be said that all 3 of Coan/Pyne/Buckner have been ready to play this year when their number was called. I'm confidant that any of the three can win a game right now if the OL has worked out their kinks. I can still remember Michigan in 2010 when Crist got banged up and we trotted out Nate Montana and an inexperienced/unready Tommy...neither could run the offense at that point. You can't say that about our current crop of QBs.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

I think you're right on the OC, but I like a lot of what I've seen so far. There is certainly room to grow, but we were an easy dropped pass in the 1st half and a victory formation at USC's doorstep from having a 45-16 score against our rival. We found something that worked and the offense was running about as good as it has all year.

I think his QB work as actually been pretty good given the circumstances. The jury is still out till we see how Buckner progresses as he'll be the most talented QB to stick around if all goes well, but arguably Tommy has gotten a lot of production out of less talent in his time as QBC. Book played above his 3 star booking, and I think it can be said that all 3 of Coan/Pyne/Buckner have been ready to play this year when their number was called. I'm confidant that any of the three can win a game right now if the OL has worked out their kinks. I can still remember Michigan in 2010 when Crist got banged up and we trotted out Nate Montana and an inexperienced/unready Tommy...neither could run the offense at that point. You can't say that about our current crop of QBs.
                Yeah, I think Tommy the player development guy is pretty darn good. It looks like he has also learned a few thing regarding how he recruits QBs. He has done a nice job of being the lead recruiter on some other positions players but QB hasn't been great. Let's hope the path he is on for '23 becomes the norm and he gets some early offers out there to high level guys.

Comment

• Just want to say Tommy deserves a lot of credit for a phenomenal game. Scored on 8/10 drives. Guess he should be fired (italics)

Comment

• Originally posted by BauerOutage View Post
                    Just want to say Tommy deserves a lot of credit for a phenomenal game. Scored on 8/10 drives. Guess he should be fired (italics)
                    He was one of Herbstreit's top coaches last week too.

Comment

• He's improving but still struggles with consistency. Last year I knew we were going to score TD's inside the ten. Now it's a crap shoot. Needs to be better down there and the red zone. Way too many settles for field goals this year
                      Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• When we kicked a fg for 41 points, I wish Tommy could’ve run 2-3 QB powers with Buchner. No way in hell he gets stopped. We could’ve put the game away right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                          When we kicked a fg for 41 points, I wish Tommy could’ve run 2-3 QB powers with Buchner. No way in hell he gets stopped. We could’ve put the game away right there.
                          Agreed. But the FG was the smart decision.

Comment

• There was a series of three straight runs (2nd series) that looked forced and the sweep to the near side had me scratching my head, but overall a great game by TR.

Comment

• Getting better each week.
                              Check out my blog building4thefuture.blogspot.com. Its all sports. Irish, NFL DRAFT PROSPECT PREVIEWS, Mets, Mavericks, and Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                He's improving but still struggles with consistency. Last year I knew we were going to score TD's inside the ten. Now it's a crap shoot. Needs to be better down there and the red zone. Way too many settles for field goals this year
                                Does Tommy’s play calling struggle with consistency in the RZ or does the still work in progress OL compared to a dominant force in last years OL?

Comment

• Comment

• Im pretty happy with Rees. He's getting better and better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                      There was a series of three straight runs (2nd series) that looked forced and the sweep to the near side had me scratching my head, but overall a great game by TR.
                                      He was better but not great by any means.
                                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Does Tommy’s play calling struggle with consistency in the RZ or does the still work in progress OL compared to a dominant force in last years OL?
                                        Good question. Why no throws to Mayer in the RZ? Seems like a no-brainer.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

He was better but not great by any means.
                                          What kind of performance would the offense need to have to be considered great by you?
                                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• some BK quotes post game on the offense:

Offensively did some really good things tonight. Good balance running the football and throwing it.
                                            The performance was as good as we’ve had offensively in terms of run pass. We opened up some things by getting the ball out on the perimeter. They were loading the box. And that really helped. Those were an extension of our run game, and it really helped open things up for us and give us the balance. I think the two quarterback situation worked out well again for us.
                                            I felt with — if you have six drives of 75 yards, I don’t know that they got us as much as we went to something else when they wanted to take it away. We had more answers than they had tonight in that respect. We had not had those answers before. Spreading the formations, getting the ball out on the perimeter, you know, throwing the ball in the seams and then allowing that to set up runs were some of the answers that Tommy was finding while they were trying to take something away.
                                            Q. Brian, in terms of the playbook, is this the most expansive that it has been? It looks as if Tommy Rees has a whole bunch that he can call from?
                                            BRIAN KELLY: He does. He does have a lot of answers going for him right now. I mean, we got over the top on a flat foot safety. We didn’t make the catch. I can give you a lot of different examples of whether it’s quarter coverage, man coverage, one-on-one situations, you load the box, the ball’s going out on the perimeter. We have a lot of answers for us right now that are being executed. But we’re doing it with two quarterbacks too because we need — Buchner made some really good plays. The third down play where he holds the ball and flips it over the top to get it to Mayer. He’s making some really good plays too. So the combination of the two quarterbacks really makes that an expansive playbook.
                                            BK sounds really pleased with the offense. This was 2nd game week (3rd week with bye) that they have went to the uptempo pass game with Coan, something that Kelly said "he’s never played in this type of offense". I fully expect the offense to continue to play better and better (especially considering the defenses left). I am sure we spent time on Red Zone throughout camp but I think we have spent so much time getting Coan up to speed, finding what he does well that we haven't got to spend as much time in the situation nuances, i.e. Red Zone, that those are the next building blocks.

BK and Rees have made one huge adjustment now its dialing it in situationally and to opponent.
                                            Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

What kind of performance would the offense need to have to be considered great by you?
                                              I can only speak for myself but I don't think Saturday should be categorized as a great performance. I mean, I felt great about it, in the moment, as in I was very happy for all involved as they're improving and I love to see the growth. But, in the grand scheme of things, UNC is a trash defense. They're not even a top 70 unit per FEI. So, this should be expected and the norm.

I mentioned this before but the reality is, we're just elevating back to a place we should've always been at. When we do this to a top 25 defense, then it's a great performance.

I think Tommy and also Quinn are showing something in getting this turned around. But, it should've never been as bad as it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

Great performance would have put the nail I. The coffin when they had the opportunity too. The season is long and some of these players have played way more than the ever have at this level. We run outside on a 3 and goal from the 2. Thats dumb. You run that ball right back up the middle again. And if it wasn’t for the pure effort of KW you are talking about a much different game. The play was dead to rights and he pulled out his Superman cape and did his thing. Good not great.

Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• We scored on 8 of 10 drives with only 3 being field goals. That's pretty good, even against a trash defense. The two punts both came on drives where penalties cost us yards.

The offense did more than their share, they didn't need to put a nail in the coffin. The defense just sucked.

Comment

• Comment

• Anyone have an idea where to find the awesome beanie he was wearing? I’ve found something similar on und.com, but it has the poof on top and is multicolored.

Comment

• Originally posted by POTUS2017 View Post
                                                        Anyone have an idea where to find the awesome beanie he was wearing? I’ve found something similar on und.com, but it has the poof on top and is multicolored.
                                                        That just sounds like a completely different hat haha

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                          We scored on 8 of 10 drives with only 3 being field goals. That's pretty good, even against a trash defense. The two punts both came on drives where penalties cost us yards.

The offense did more than their share, they didn't need to put a nail in the coffin. The defense just sucked.
                                                          They had about half a dozen missed tackles that would've resulted in sacks. What a difference that would have made.

I doubt they have that issue vs Navy.

Rees and Quinn seem to be getting the players to make improvements. If they go 11-1 and get a halfway fair opponent in a bowl, that will be a telling tale for me going into the offseason.
                                                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• I just hope we do not switch back to a slow it down game and take away what's been working on offense.

Comment

• watching the replay on PeaCOCK and Coan just stinks. Good thing our D was on this week. Most of our points are due to Kyren turning nothing into something. Coan made a handful of good throws but he just doesn’t have it. With Buchner in there Kyren can actually gain a few yards prior to being hit since TB is a legit run threat where Coan is a sack drive killing threat. Getting so tired of that guy trotting out on the field.

Comment

• I’ll say that I’m super happy for Jack as he’s shown some incredible moxie this season. And, I don’t think it’s fair to say he stinks. He did make a few really nice throws today. Plus he’s had some really good moments this season. But, Jack has become their next Ian Book. He makes enough plays for them to stick with him but he’ll never make enough for us to be an elite offense.

Comment

• Jack is what he is…a bridge to get us to next season. And should we go 11-1, or even 10-2, while getting the future PT. Then it’s tough not to be happy to have him.

let’s put it this way. We’re not a 1 loss team without him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                    I’ll say that I’m super happy for Jack as he’s shown some incredible moxie this season. And, I don’t think it’s fair to say he stinks. He did make a few really nice throws today. Plus he’s had some really good moments this season. But, Jack has become their next Ian Book. He makes enough plays for them to stick with him but he’ll never make enough for us to be an elite offense.
                                                                    The WRs on this team and OL would prevent it from being a elite offense regardless of QB

Last years offense with Ian would not have had the WRs

Comment

• Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
                                                                      watching the replay on PeaCOCK and Coan just stinks. Good thing our D was on this week. Most of our points are due to Kyren turning nothing into something. Coan made a handful of good throws but he just doesn’t have it. With Buchner in there Kyren can actually gain a few yards prior to being hit since TB is a legit run threat where Coan is a sack drive killing threat. Getting so tired of that guy trotting out on the field.
                                                                      We would have more losses than we currently do without Coan.

Comment

• You know when a player's play has been a disappointment, especially the QB, when claims that one cannot prove nor refute are used to support him. Crediting Coan for the team not having more losses is absurd. No one knows, but what is known is that Coan has serious deficiencies that cannot be explained by inexperience nor lack of supporting personnel. He is just an average to sub average QB.

The problem I have is why Rees (or Kelly) keeps playing him at the expense of developing TB. There was no reason why TB was not given significant play time in the second half of the Navy game. Navy's defense was playing a scheme that would have given TB invaluable experience. The look of threatening to blitz and then backing off is something TB has had limited experience with. Why not play him in a game that was comfortable under control especially in the fourth quarter? Why not let TB sling the ball around to give him some confidence? We will need him to play well against Virginia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                          Jack is what he is…a bridge to get us to next season. And should we go 11-1, or even 10-2, while getting the future PT. Then it’s tough not to be happy to have him.

let’s put it this way. We’re not a 1 loss team without him.
                                                                          I agree…..we’re a zero loss team without him. How many freshman QBs are lighting it up out there? Jack is not a playmaker. He makes the running game worse, he makes the OL look WAY worse! How many three and outs has he been a part of? How many sacks has he taken like a sack of potatoes putting up zero resistance? It was nice that he figured out last week he can actually pick up some yards by taking off. How many times has he been given ample time by our much maligned OL only to throw it out of bounds. He rarely has been able to turn nothing into something the way Book did so often. Buchner beats Toledo FSU and so does Pyne. On track to set a new sacks taken record with Jack. If you can bottle some of his throws that is great but I have also seen Buchner make a whole lot of good throws with some zip on them. We are surrounded by weapons and this offense deserves someone who can sustain drives and make plays. Jack runs a decent two minute offense but that’s about it. Good dude but we need someone better. We should be undefeated right now. Without him we beat Cincy.

Nice guys finish last.

Comment

I agree…..we’re a zero loss team without him. How many freshman QBs are lighting it up out there? Jack is not a playmaker. He makes the running game worse, he makes the OL look WAY worse! How many three and outs has he been a part of? How many sacks has he taken like a sack of potatoes putting up zero resistance? It was nice that he figured out last week he can actually pick up some yards by taking off. How many times has he been given ample time by our much maligned OL only to throw it out of bounds. He rarely has been able to turn nothing into something the way Book did so often. Buchner beats Toledo FSU and so does Pyne. On track to set a new sacks taken record with Jack. If you can bottle some of his throws that is great but I have also seen Buchner make a whole lot of good throws with some zip on them. We are surrounded by weapons and this offense deserves someone who can sustain drives and make plays. Jack runs a decent two minute offense but that’s about it. Good dude but we need someone better. We should be undefeated right now. Without him we beat Cincy.

Nice guys finish last.
                                                                            What is the actual answer to your freshman question? I’d like to hear the answer to your own hypothetical.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_D_Fighting_Irish View Post
                                                                              You know when a player's play has been a disappointment, especially the QB, when claims that one cannot prove nor refute are used to support him. Crediting Coan for the team not having more losses is absurd. No one knows, but what is known is that Coan has serious deficiencies that cannot be explained by inexperience nor lack of supporting personnel. He is just an average to sub average QB.

The problem I have is why Rees (or Kelly) keeps playing him at the expense of developing TB. There was no reason why TB was not given significant play time in the second half of the Navy game. Navy's defense was playing a scheme that would have given TB invaluable experience. The look of threatening to blitz and then backing off is something TB has had limited experience with. Why not play him in a game that was comfortable under control especially in the fourth quarter? Why not let TB sling the ball around to give him some confidence? We will need him to play well against Virginia.
                                                                              I think TB was kept out because Kelly thought he can’t move the ball against the Navy D……well except for the one drive they let him run where he did take them for a TD…….how many 3 and outs did Jack spearhead this game? I think TB gets us to 50 points if he plays the entire game. If our D didn’t get us the ball so often Jack never would have got us 25. D got 2 and TB got 7. There must be at least 25 teams out there with a better QB than Coan.

I’m going to go back to the blue gold game where TB was the only QB to make any plays or anything happen. This offense could be electric right now but because of Coan (not the OL) we are not.

Comment

I think TB was kept out because Kelly thought he can’t move the ball against the Navy D……well except for the one drive they let him run where he did take them for a TD…….how many 3 and outs did Jack spearhead this game? I think TB gets us to 50 points if he plays the entire game. If our D didn’t get us the ball so often Jack never would have got us 25. D got 2 and TB got 7. There must be at least 25 teams out there with a better QB than Coan.

I’m going to go back to the blue gold game where TB was the only QB to make any plays or anything happen. This offense could be electric right now but because of Coan (not the OL) we are not.
                                                                                Do you remember the pick-6 TB threw? I'm rooting for Buchner but he's not ready to be the full time play caller. His recognition isn't where it needs to be. He's a great runner/RPO guy who needs to develop into a consistent "read-the-defense-and-exploit" QB.

Coan is a stabilizing force in Kelly's/Rees' eyes. It's been good enough for a team decimated by injuries, 4 different LTs, 2nd string LBs across the board, AA safety on IR, down to 5 rostered WRs and yet we keep winning. It's an incredible place to be in a "rebuilding year" + massive personnel loss and we're still looking at double digit wins and potentially a big bowl if we can navigate the three games in front of us.

TB is being developed, albeit slowly. Freshman OL are being developed, freshman RBs and WRs are being developed. Most of the negative things being said about Kelly and ND have been turned into positives.

I'm already looking forward to next year, that first game will be a doozy

Comment

Nice guys finish last.
                                                                                  Oh wow, let me make sure I’m understanding correctly. Without all the fluff, I just want a simple Yes or No. You are saying that we’d be undefeated without Jack?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

Do you remember the pick-6 TB threw? I'm rooting for Buchner but he's not ready to be the full time play caller. His recognition isn't where it needs to be. He's a great runner/RPO guy who needs to develop into a consistent "read-the-defense-and-exploit" QB.
                                                                                    How exactly does he develop without seeing live rounds? I'm not even saying start him over Coan, but yesterday, especially after we went up multiple scores, would have been the PERFECT time to get him more PT. There was no reason to have the 1s in as long as they did. Kyren shouldn't have seen nearly as much 4Q action as he did.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

How exactly does he develop without seeing live rounds? I'm not even saying start him over Coan, but yesterday, especially after we went up multiple scores, would have been the PERFECT time to get him more PT. There was no reason to have the 1s in as long as they did. Kyren shouldn't have seen nearly as much 4Q action as he did.
                                                                                      My issue with yesterday is that their "drop 8" crap literally doesn't work against someone like Buchner. He's just going to buy time and/or scramble for an easy 3/5 yards. I was shocked that they went away from Buchner after how well his first drive went. Coaching malpractice IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

My issue with yesterday is that their "drop 8" crap literally doesn't work against someone like Buchner. He's just going to buy time and/or scramble for an easy 3/5 yards. I was shocked that they went away from Buchner after how well his first drive went. Coaching malpractice IMO.
                                                                                        Exactly.... Buchner is Book 2.0.. okay 1.5, but - when TB is in, you
                                                                                        'Handicap' the D to 10 players because you have to have a 'spy' on TB which would have opened up much more crossing routes and plays to Mayer.

Comment

Oh wow, let me make sure I’m understanding correctly. Without all the fluff, I just want a simple Yes or No. You are saying that we’d be undefeated without Jack?
                                                                                          I wouldn't say the Irish would be undefeated - but there would be more points on the board. Which comes in 'handy' come early December during Committee-Voting time.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

Agreed. Kind of like taking 1/2 a season to figure out that tempo was the way to go with Coan...

Comment

• Navy at times looked like the '85 Bears and Tommy fed the beast. What an extremely disappointing game plan. Hoping for another TE to emerge to help bolster the WR corps. Lenzy has to step up when he's in the game. He drops the easy pass then makes a diving catch in the corner of the endzone, total head scratcher.

Comment

• TB is basically wildcat. Can’t live on that

Comment

• Coan didn't have a good game, despite his stats, but Tommy did him zero favors.

We went into the last 2 games with the plan to go fast and use a lot of quick throws to get Coan comfortable. We did the opposite of that. We went back to slow developing run and pass plays with him in the game and it was mind-boggling.
                                                                                                  It's Just a Ride.

Comment

You are correct sir! Undefeated! Look at what a true freshman did for TCU against Baylor because the interim coach gave him a chance. Over 400 yards passing and over 70 on the ground. Sounds like something TB can do if given the chance. Handoffs up the middle get 8 yards with TB at QB. Same okay with Coan requires a bump off the line and bounce out and YAC to get back to the LOS. Buchner opens it all up and one int is not enough to bench him otherwise his QB coach would have been benched regularly. Oh well, it’s just more woulda coulda shoulda.

back to the thread subject:

Win and we’re in! Things are continuing to go our way. Our eye test is improving and everyone but GA is sucking butt.

Comment

• Oops, wrong thread. I still stand behind my wisdom!!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X