Final Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Poll

In what world is 4 loss Wisconsin still ahead of us? They had a blowout to tOSU no different than ours to Michigan, and they lost twice as many games! They lost to Illinois!
    Also, lulz USC

Baylor drops five spots and Wiscy stays the same with 4 losses. I'm scratching my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
      Baylor drops five spots and Wiscy stays the same with 4 losses. I'm scratching my head.
      I guess the logic being Wiscy *almost* beat #5 Oregon while Baylor lost soundly to #4 Georgia and their entire conference got exposed as the frauds that they are?
      Still. I don't know why Wisconsin would be ranked ahead of us. Yes they beat Michigan and we didn't but they lost four freakin' games. At some point that should matter more than beating #18 at home in September.

Other than that - and the fact that Georgia and Florida are comically overrated - I have a hard time getting too worked up about any of these. We really ought to be in the top ten but I guess we pissed that away on a bad night in Ann Arbor.

Also: Is it normal to have seven G5s in the Top 25? That's more than the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12, combined.

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

In what world is 4 loss Wisconsin still ahead of us? They had a blowout to tOSU no different than ours to Michigan, and they lost twice as many games! They lost to Illinois!
        Also, lulz USC
        I have to think itís more about their wins. They beat two good teams in Minnesota and Michigan. They lost by one to Oregon and were evenly matched. The only team that ran them off the field was OSU (twice).

ND just doesnít have any legit wins this year. No one is ever going to give credit for beating Navy. Thatís just the reality. And getting manhandled by Michigan is not the same as OSU. They are a tier or two apart in talent.

Comment

Say what you want, but it's 4, I repeat 4 losses. I just realized that Minnesota also jumped over us. No love for rolling ISU.

Comment

Minnesota had an OOC slate of Georgia Southern, Fresno State, and South Dakota State.

They beat South Dakota State by one score. That was their most convincing win. They needed OT to beat Fresno State after a tying TD with seconds left, and they needed a go-ahead TD with 13 seconds left to beat Georgia Southern.

They played 4 teams with a pulse and that's what they're getting measured on. Which is fine, but it just cracks me up that the only team that EVER gets criticized for "how" they win and lose is Notre Dame. We hear it every year about "style points" but no one pays attention to other teams or judges them the same. Can you imagine if ND played three games like the above?

Wisconsin with 4 losses being ahead of Notre Dame is just comical. People are so fixated on ND's loss to Michigan... I dunno why its not getting treated like Ohio State laying an egg against Purdue, etc. There's a lot of weird Big Ten machismo in this final poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
              Say what you want, but it's 4, I repeat 4 losses. I just realized that Minnesota also jumped over us. No love for rolling ISU.
              A great hypothetical, IMO, is "what would ND be ranked if they did the same thing to overrated Utah or Baylor?" I think the answer is 6-10, probably 9th. That's why playing Iowa State was a worst case scenario... there was no way to ever get credit for that win, no matter how well ND played. An absolute shame that ND did not get a crack at a legit opponent thanks to the stupidity of conference bowl tie-ins dictating opponents.

Comment

Wiscy ahead of us is a fucking joke.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                  Wiscy ahead of us is a fucking joke.

Motivation for next year.
                  I also saw them ranked ahead of us in one of those way-too-early Top 25s.

Comment

Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
                    Motivation for next year.
                    I also saw them ranked ahead of us in one of those way-too-early Top 25s.
                    The only one I've seen is from Brett McMurphy and he has freaking ISU 10(!!) and Notre Dame at 15

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      The only one I've seen is from Brett McMurphy and he has freaking ISU 10(!!) and Notre Dame at 15
                      That's the only one I've seen. I bet there will be more released today since the Championship game was last night

Comment

Speaking of jokes...

Comment

Yeah. That was the one. Had Wisconsin 12th, IIRC. Also had SEC West teams in every slot from 3 to 6, which seems mathematically impossible, and impossibly bullish on Auburn and A&M.
                          Not Brettís finest hour.

Comment

We are ahead of usc and UM, only thing I care about

Comment

I find it hard to make an argument where either Minn or Wisky is ahead of the Irish in the polls.

Comment

Irish didn't win it all everyone should be fired!
                                Prehistoric

Comment

I also cannot find any justification for Minn and Wisconsin to be ahead of us. Four loss Wisconsin beat Minnesota by twenty-one.

Wisconsin lost to #3 Ohio State by 13. We lost to #4 Georgia by 7.
                                  Last edited by Legacy; 01-14-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

So apparently, all we have to do in 2022 is play OSU within 2 TD's and it's basically the same as a Win relative to other programs, that right?

Comment

Here's the real focal point: The world respects Notre Dame football just slightly more than Memphis.
                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                        Here's the real focal point: The world respects Notre Dame football just slightly more than Memphis.
                                        we could be michigan and have memphis in front of us
                                        Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                          Minnesota had an OOC slate of Georgia Southern, Fresno State, and South Dakota State.

They beat South Dakota State by one score. That was their most convincing win. They needed OT to beat Fresno State after a tying TD with seconds left, and they needed a go-ahead TD with 13 seconds left to beat Georgia Southern.

They played 4 teams with a pulse and that's what they're getting measured on. Which is fine, but it just cracks me up that the only team that EVER gets criticized for "how" they win and lose is Notre Dame. We hear it every year about "style points" but no one pays attention to other teams or judges them the same. Can you imagine if ND played three games like the above?

Wisconsin with 4 losses being ahead of Notre Dame is just comical. People are so fixated on ND's loss to Michigan... I dunno why its not getting treated like Ohio State laying an egg against Purdue, etc. There's a lot of weird Big Ten machismo in this final poll.
                                          Because its expected from ND. Thats why.

What I want to know is how Oklahoma only dropped 3 spots after being depantsed.

Comment

The real problem with the polling system is that it's supposed to be based on resume (who did you play, how badly did you beat them, etc.) but the voters are lazy AF, so instead it ends up being based on "who do you think would win on a neutral field", which is not remotely close to the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                              The real problem with the polling system is that it's supposed to be based on resume (who did you play, how badly did you beat them, etc.) but the voters are lazy AF, so instead it ends up being based on "who do you think would win on a neutral field", which is not remotely close to the same thing.
                                              Ok. But even then, I think we’d throttle Minnesota, beat Wisconsin and go toe-to-toe with Penn State and Florida. On a neutral field.

Comment

Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
                                                Ok. But even then, I think weíd throttle Minnesota, beat Wisconsin and go toe-to-toe with Penn State and Florida. On a neutral field.
                                                You have a ballot??
                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

You have a ballot??
                                                  I should!

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                                    I also cannot find any justification for Minn and Wisconsin to be ahead of us. Four loss Wisconsin beat Minnesota by twenty-one.

Wisconsin lost to fucking Illinois.

Comment

I have no problem with Wisconsin being in front of us. Our resume sucked. We had one win against the final top 25. We got embarrassed by a 4 loss Michigan team. Actually would say that I would've been OK with Wisconsin in front of Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                        I have no problem with Wisconsin being in front of us. Our resume sucked. We had one win against the final top 25. We got embarrassed by a 4 loss Michigan team. Actually would say that I would've been OK with Wisconsin in front of Minnesota.
                                                        Our resume does not "suck". We played no FCS cupcakes (something none of the other teams ranked above us can claim), own the 3rd most dominant win of the entire season, and went 11-2, which includes 5 victories over the FEI top 50 and a narrow loss to #4 Georgia.

Our resume is objectively better than Wisconsin and Minnesota's. The only way to justify putting them higher than us is by arguing that they'd beat us on a neutral field, which is not what these polls are supposed to be about.

Comment

Our resume does not "suck". We played no FCS cupcakes (something none of the other teams ranked above us can claim), own the 3rd most dominant win of the entire season, and went 11-2, which includes 5 victories over the FEI top 50 and a narrow loss to #4 Georgia.

Our resume is objectively better than Wisconsin and Minnesota's. The only way to justify putting them higher than us is by arguing that they'd beat us on a neutral field, which is not what these polls are supposed to be about.

Sidenote: it is absolutely mind blowing LSU had the two most dominant wins of the season, and they came in the SECCG, and CFP SEMIS. Insane.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                                            Sidenote: it is absolutely mind blowing LSU had the two most dominant wins of the season, and they came in the SECCG, and CFP SEMIS. Insane.....
                                                            Yup. 2019 LSU has a pretty strong argument for being the GOAT team.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntr View Post
                                                              Wisconsin lost to fucking Illinois.
                                                              Hey, that's 6 win and Redbox Bowl runner-up fucking Illinois to you.

Comment

beating a bunch of nobodies every year doesn’t get us much respect in these polls. But hey we won 11 games and hired Rees. Weeeeeee

Comment

I admit you had me scratching my head at the 3rd most dominant win. I clicked, looked, and laughed my ass off my chair, up the wall and back on to my chair. Navy?
                                                                  Michigan's ass pounding of us is ranked 33rd.... I would say that was more impressive than slapping an academy around. Also just quickly searching that list. LSUs win over Clemson was much greater than their win at Oklahoma, everyone knew OU was a fraud.

Originally posted by Irishman77 View Post
                                                                  beating a bunch of nobodies every year doesnít get us much respect in these polls. But hey we won 11 games and hired Rees. Weeeeeee
                                                                  Agree with point 1 and will add yearly embarassing loss. But I am ok with hiring Reese.

Comment

beating a bunch of nobodies every year doesnít get us much respect in these polls. But hey we won 11 games and hired Rees. Weeeeeee
                                                                    LOL this is exactly why we should just schedule all the Eastern Michiganís of the world,... if we are gonna Ďbeat nobodyí every year letís actually do it.

Comment

The problem is that we are arguing about whether or not we deserve a higher ranking than Wisconsin and Minnesota. Even if we were ranked ahead of them, it's sort of a big whoop. At the same time, the negativity about us being where we are at is pretty dumb. We had a good season.

If I was in my early twenties, then I might be fired up about a bunch of college athletes and the state of the program. It's like groundhog's day discussing Notre Dame when the only true power we have as fans is in the money and time we spend on games and gear.

Otherwise, you know what you're signed up for. We know why Notre Dame isn't LSU. It's Kelly and more than Kelly. It's admissions and more than admissions. It's South Bend and more than South Bend. It's lack of 5 stars and more than lack of 5 stars. It's a bunch of factors. Certainly, being negative and/or right on predicting failures is no accomplishment when you're a Notre Dame fan.

See you next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ND88 View Post
                                                                        The problem is that we are arguing about whether or not we deserve a higher ranking than Wisconsin and Minnesota. Even if we were ranked ahead of them, it's sort of a big whoop. At the same time, the negativity about us being where we are at is pretty dumb. We had a good season.

If I was in my early twenties, then I might be fired up about a bunch of college athletes and the state of the program. It's like groundhog's day discussing Notre Dame when the only true power we have as fans is in the money and time we spend on games and gear.

Otherwise, you know what you're signed up for. We know why Notre Dame isn't LSU. It's Kelly and more than Kelly. It's admissions and more than admissions. It's South Bend and more than South Bend. It's lack of 5 stars and more than lack of 5 stars. It's a bunch of factors. Certainly, being negative and/or right on predicting failures is no accomplishment when you're a Notre Dame fan.

See you next season.
                                                                        I personally blame cats.
                                                                        Last edited by Cali_domer; 01-15-2020, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post

They also lost to OSU in the regular season by 31 and lost to 6-7 Illinois

Comment

When we win. Will all of you say we might be the best team ever created?
                                                                            I'm just curious... If Clemson was the best ever last year after dominating Alabama.
                                                                            This year LSU dominates Clemson and they must be the best ever...
                                                                            I'll take our '88 team against most of these boys any day of the week.
                                                                            It Is the media presenting... Some lame brain material.
                                                                            I was smarter when I drank...
                                                                            I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Seems like they are giving more credit for good wins. Wisconsin had 3 wins over top 18 teams. We beat Navy. Minnesota had two wins over top 14 opponents. We beat Navy. Is what it is.
                                                                              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                                                                                Seems like they are giving more credit for good wins. Wisconsin had 3 wins over top 18 teams. We beat Navy. Minnesota had two wins over top 14 opponents. We beat Navy. Is what it is.
                                                                                And it has always been thus.

Ever since the playoff system begun we've hung our hat on "good losses" ('14 FSU, '15 Clemson, '17 and '19 Georgia.) when what they pretty clearly reward is big wins. You're better off beating a top 10 team and losing to some dog than losing to the top 10 team and beating everyone else. And for a variety of factors those Top 10 wins have been hard for us to come by. We'll have our shots next year though.

Comment

• #41

The AP has ND 4 points behind Wis out of a total of 1550 points. Your they takes only one ballot to have ND 5 points lower. 1993 Bobby Bowden voted FSU #1 and ND #7 although ND won the head to head match. Bowden's stink vote for ND won him a NC.

The Coaches Poll has ND at #11, two slots ahead of #13 Wisconsin by 31 points out of a total of 1625.

Sagarin has Wis at #9 with the 9th Toughest Schedule and ND at #11 with the 37th Toughest Schedule.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Now here's a happy customer.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                                      I admit you had me scratching my head at the 3rd most dominant win. I clicked, looked, and laughed my ass off my chair, up the wall and back on to my chair. Navy?
                                                                                      Michigan's ass pounding of us is ranked 33rd.... I would say that was more impressive than slapping an academy around. Also just quickly searching that list. LSUs win over Clemson was much greater than their win at Oklahoma, everyone knew OU was a fraud.

Agree with point 1 and will add yearly embarassing loss. But I am ok with hiring Reese.
                                                                                      Should we beat them every year? Yes, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. Navy annually has a very good team. They aren't elite, yet they aren't pushovers. Yet everyone playfully dismisses them.

Back in 2013, I had a conversation with a couple of local sports radio hosts. They were discussing IU's upcoming schedule and chalked Navy up as an easy win. I called in and tried to explain that Navy is way better than given credit for. We had a bet and I took Navy. Guess who won? I think it was 2014 or 2015 Navy played at Ohio State. This was a close game until the 4th quarter when OSU pulled it out.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                                        "Oh it's just Navy." They were 11-2 and finished the year ranked 20th. Their only other loss was to Memphis, who was 12-2 with a competitive NY6 game against Penn State.

If you changed their name to "Iowa" and they were 10-3 and ranked in the same ballpark then people would go "we absolutely destroyed very good ranked team." Instead, it's "slapped around an academy". Heck, even if it had been Memphis -- who is basically a carbon copy of Navy in terms of resume/results, just not an 'academy' -- it'd probably have different perception. You're just choosing to minimize the quality of the team based on the name on their jersey.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          "Oh it's just Navy." They were 11-2 and finished the year ranked 20th. Their only other loss was to Memphis, who was 12-2 with a competitive NY6 game against Penn State.

If you changed their name to "Iowa" and they were 10-3 and ranked in the same ballpark then people would go "we absolutely destroyed very good ranked team." Instead, it's "slapped around an academy". Heck, even if it had been Memphis -- who is basically a carbon copy of Navy in terms of resume/results, just not an 'academy' -- it'd probably have different perception. You're just choosing to minimize the quality of the team based on the name on their jersey.
                                                                                          Yep, we should totally just schedule four directional taxidermy and D2 schools every year... the entire SEC does that and 'they play big boy football'... we play 10+ P5 teams a year and 'We play nobody"....

ND isn't proving anything at this point. Just make perception the reality.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Yep, we should totally just schedule four directional taxidermy and D2 schools every year... the entire SEC does that and 'they play big boy football'... we play 10+ P5 teams a year and 'We play nobody"....

For real. We get no credit for our schedule, so with such little room for error, why bother?

Comment

• #47

Been saying this for awhile. You get judged on how you do in your big games, nobody cares if you play a schedule full of pretty good teams. This year was a perfect example. We lost the two games that mattered from a national perspective. Next year itís Clemson and Wisconsin and maybe USC. The rest are just filler.
                                                                                              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Been saying this for awhile. You get judged on how you do in your big games, nobody cares if you play a schedule full of pretty good teams. This year was a perfect example. We lost the two games that mattered from a national perspective. Next year itís Clemson and Wisconsin and maybe USC. The rest are just filler.
                                                                                                You are making the case for the quality of program ND has become with this type of perspective. "We always beat the teams we are supposed to beat so big deal." Well that is a big deal, ask Texas or USC or Miami or Florida St or even Oklahoma or Bama before Saban arrived or Florida under Muschamp or Ö

Kelly has done such a good job at normalizing success at ND that fans want more. That's great to want more but we should also enjoy the program Kelly has built.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I agree with this, which is where it hurts ND that they schedule how they do. ACC is a lottery, and this year it was a lottery full of "meh" teams. Stanford was down, USC was down.

There were two big name programs with good teams that ND played -- lost both of them. The biggest issue is that ND looked very good against Georgia on the road but the narrative is 100% shaped on that embarrassment in Ann Arbor. Is what it is, everyone involved in that debacle has to own it.

Where ND gets hurt is that a team like Oklahoma will play like ass all year but get ranked highly because of conference loyalty/inflation. Same thing with Utah who literally did not beat a team with 8+ wins the entire season but was a game away from the playoffs despite losing to USC with their third string QB (lol). The easiest path to the playoffs right now is in the PAC12 and Big 12. Besides that, you are going to have to beat an ELITE team. ND hasn't shown they can do that, but next year they'll get a crack at Clemson like every other ACC team with playoff aspirations.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I agree with this, which is where it hurts ND that they schedule how they do. ACC is a lottery, and this year it was a lottery full of "meh" teams. Stanford was down, USC was down.

There were two big name programs with good teams that ND played -- lost both of them. The biggest issue is that ND looked very good against Georgia on the road but the narrative is 100% shaped on that embarrassment in Ann Arbor. Is what it is, everyone involved in that debacle has to own it.

Where ND gets hurt is that a team like Oklahoma will play like ass all year but get ranked highly because of conference loyalty/inflation. Same thing with Utah who literally did not beat a team with 8+ wins the entire season but was a game away from the playoffs despite losing to USC with their third string QB (lol). The easiest path to the playoffs right now is in the PAC12 and Big 12. Besides that, you are going to have to beat an ELITE team. ND hasn't shown they can do that, but next year they'll get a crack at Clemson like every other ACC team with playoff aspirations.
                                                                                                    One thing I'll say is ND has done a much better job scheduling the last few years. This year was really set up perfectly, IMO. Our first 6 games this year:
                                                                                                    Louisville
                                                                                                    Bye
                                                                                                    New Mexico
                                                                                                    Georgia
                                                                                                    Virginia
                                                                                                    Bowling Green
                                                                                                    USC

We put our two cupcakes right before our two toughest games (Georgia, USC). I liked that we played a decent opponent first and then an easy game. By the time of the USC game, everyone had gotten reps in the games because of the two blowouts. After USC we had a bye and then Michigan. Contrast that with Kelly's first season where we started out like this:

Purdue
                                                                                                    Michigan
                                                                                                    Michigan State
                                                                                                    Stanford
                                                                                                    Boston College
                                                                                                    Pitt

All P5 schools, no cupcakes to guarantee a blowout and rest your guys. Terrible scheduling. Next year's schedule is also good (IMO), though we do play an extra ACC game. I would have preferred another game similar to W. Michigan, like the two we had this year.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X