Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offensive Coordinator Search

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Offensive Coordinator Search

    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly says there will be a &quot;thorough search for the next offensive coordinator.</p>&mdash; Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/1205912439155548160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 14, 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly: I will not call plays. Thats not my role. Ive moved past that role.&quot;</p>&mdash; Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/1205914290575859713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 14, 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly said the incoming coach to replace Chip Long could coach offensive line, quarterbacks, tight ends. Said he&#39;s open to whatever would most help Notre Dame win a national championship.</p>&mdash; Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/1205915620254142466?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 14, 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

    Thought we could use a thread for this since it sounds like we may be looking at an outside hire. Any ideas who we might go after?

  • #2
    Is this mystery man bringing a ton of 5 star kids too?

    Comment


    • #3
      If we are gonna go from the outside I’d like a coach who is :
      1. Young
      2. A proven recruiter
      3. Has a good history with offenses

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phork View Post
        Is this mystery man bringing a ton of 5 star kids too?

        Does Charlie still have all those big rings?

        ND shouldn't have to pay him for the next 20 years.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BGIF View Post
          Does Charlie still have all those big rings?

          ND shouldn't have to pay him for the next 20 years.
          Yup, we should have at least 10 years of credit built up with him.

          I thought it weird that he said coach QBs, OL, TEs, etc.. especially the OL part.

          So if it turns out to be an outside guy, who wants to coach QBs, what about Reesus?

          Hoping the exhaustive search is all for show, and Tommy is wired in already.
          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

          Comment


          • #6
            I’m all in for anyone who can establish this team as a ground and pound football team. We need QNelson minded maulers across the line. To date, getting those high caliber OLman hasn’t been a problem. It’s embarrassing that we have what we have and can’t run the ball.

            Comment


            • #7
              Need better backs to run better but we never seemed to commit to running outside the usc and VIrginia game. Next year has to be better. Glad Long is gone. Feel his stats were padded against lesser opponents. He is overrated and Kelly knew it. Rees is unproven imo but unless we get someone very good I’m ok rolling the dice on baby face.

              Comment


              • #8
                Happy to hear we're looking on the outside but Kelly left the door open for promoting either Rees or Quinn when he said he could hire "an Offensive line coach, a Tight End coach or a Quarterbacks coach".

                Hope he hires an Offensive Coordinator and leaves those two guys where they are.

                Comment


                • #9
                  An idea I heard that I thought to be interesting would be shifting Jeff Quinn to TE coach and hiring an OC/OL coach. Idk. Bottom line, hire the best dude you can get.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                    An idea I heard that I thought to be interesting would be shifting Jeff Quinn to TE coach and hiring an OC/OL coach. Idk. Bottom line, hire the best dude you can get.
                    I thought of that right away. With good recruits and good coaches at OL and WR, it would be pretty difficult to mess up our TEs. Also if Rees is the OC, Quinn could help bring him along just getting used to the greater responsibilities.

                    To me, right away you give a call to Harry to see if he has had enough of the NFL yet. When he turns you down, the Boston College OL coach could be interesting. From what I remember leading up to the game, their reporters were saying their line was much better than expected this year. The coach looks like he might be a young up-and-coming guy who has a good background. I don't know if he even still has a job after Addazio was fired, so it might not take a lot to get him.

                    I would also really like to see if we could bring in any former OCs as analysts to help out if Rees or Taylor get the OC job. Much for the same reason as I said with Quinn earlier, I think it will just make for a better transition if he has someone with experience to help him avoid some of the beginner mistakes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                      I thought of that right away. With good recruits and good coaches at OL and WR, it would be pretty difficult to mess up our TEs. Also if Rees is the OC, Quinn could help bring him along just getting used to the greater responsibilities.

                      To me, right away you give a call to Harry to see if he has had enough of the NFL yet. When he turns you down, the Boston College OL coach could be interesting. From what I remember leading up to the game, their reporters were saying their line was much better than expected this year. The coach looks like he might be a young up-and-coming guy who has a good background. I don't know if he even still has a job after Addazio was fired, so it might not take a lot to get him.

                      I would also really like to see if we could bring in any former OCs as analysts to help out if Rees or Taylor get the OC job. Much for the same reason as I said with Quinn earlier, I think it will just make for a better transition if he has someone with experience to help him avoid some of the beginner mistakes.

                      We could always do the Alabama thing...

                      <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/99TrLm9NWthAI" width="480" height="259" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/tyrion-lannister-house-99TrLm9NWthAI">via GIPHY</a></p>
                      Last edited by Circa; 12-14-2019, 11:28 PM.
                      I was smarter when I drank...
                      I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                        I thought of that right away. With good recruits and good coaches at OL and WR, it would be pretty difficult to mess up our TEs. Also if Rees is the OC, Quinn could help bring him along just getting used to the greater responsibilities.

                        To me, right away you give a call to Harry to see if he has had enough of the NFL yet. When he turns you down, the Boston College OL coach could be interesting. From what I remember leading up to the game, their reporters were saying their line was much better than expected this year. The coach looks like he might be a young up-and-coming guy who has a good background. I don't know if he even still has a job after Addazio was fired, so it might not take a lot to get him.

                        I would also really like to see if we could bring in any former OCs as analysts to help out if Rees or Taylor get the OC job. Much for the same reason as I said with Quinn earlier, I think it will just make for a better transition if he has someone with experience to help him avoid some of the beginner mistakes.
                        I said it in another thread, but hard pass on bringing Harry back.

                        I'm more in favor of retaining Quinn, but I wouldn't be against hiring Trautwein from BC. My guess though is that Quinn is kept, Trautwein is retained at BC and we go after another TE coach.

                        Can't say I disagree with that. Can we really blame Quinn for the offensive struggles knowing now how bad things were with Long, on top of the lack of talent at RB and the mass amounts of injuries we had up front?
                        It's Just a Ride.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                          I said it in another thread, but hard pass on bringing Harry back.

                          I'm more in favor of retaining Quinn, but I wouldn't be against hiring Trautwein from BC. My guess though is that Quinn is kept, Trautwein is retained at BC and we go after another TE coach.

                          Can't say I disagree with that. Can we really blame Quinn for the offensive struggles knowing now how bad things were with Long, on top of the lack of talent at RB and the mass amounts of injuries we had up front?

                          Old school Irish ain't always bad... Kids just can't be yelled at anymore without melting.
                          It used to be, 3-4 guys on the team had to be coddled.

                          Times change.



                          <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/VXxFEcDnNvxqU" width="480" height="392" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/beef-VXxFEcDnNvxqU">via GIPHY</a></p>
                          I was smarter when I drank...
                          I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The way Kelly talked about next year being a really good team, Book must be returning with some assurances, like an OC he can trust. I don't see how it isn't Tom Rees.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Circa View Post
                              Old school Irish ain't always bad... Kids just can't be yelled at anymore without melting.
                              It used to be, 3-4 guys on the team had to be coddled.

                              Times change.



                              <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/VXxFEcDnNvxqU" width="480" height="392" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/beef-VXxFEcDnNvxqU">via GIPHY</a></p>
                              I highly doubt it's just because Long yelled a lot and our guys are softer than Charmin millennials.

                              Long being a hardass all the time probably wears thin and that spiel likely gets old after awhile. You have to have some give and take. You can't use the same approach. Some situations call for reserved instruction, some call for positive reinforcement, and some call for all-out ass chewing. You need to have balance. Lea is known for being very reserved and positive, but I'm sure when we're not looking he's done his fair share of ass chewing, but he knows the balance and when to use which approach. Long clearly hasn't.

                              You also have to look at it from the players' perspective. Why do you listen to a guy who is constantly on your ass during practice, when he's shown he's not all-in himself? After all, Long has interviewed for different jobs multiple times since being here.

                              Hard to buy into someone like that when they themselves aren't bought in.
                              Last edited by Crazy Balki; 12-15-2019, 01:28 AM.
                              It's Just a Ride.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                I said it in another thread, but hard pass on bringing Harry back.

                                I'm more in favor of retaining Quinn, but I wouldn't be against hiring Trautwein from BC. My guess though is that Quinn is kept, Trautwein is retained at BC and we go after another TE coach.

                                Can't say I disagree with that. Can we really blame Quinn for the offensive struggles knowing now how bad things were with Long, on top of the lack of talent at RB and the mass amounts of injuries we had up front?
                                Can I ask why you don't want HH back?

                                And as for blaming Quinn or Long, I think Long might have had some effect, but we just didn't see any real improvement, individual or collectively, on the offensive line. Again, maybe you can blame Long, but IIRC from when I checked when he was hired, at Quinn's previous stops the offensive line's numbers generally got worse each year he was there.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                  I highly doubt it's just because Long yelled a lot and our guys are softer than Charmin millennials.

                                  Long being a hardass all the time probably wears thin and that spiel likely gets old after awhile. You have to have some give and take. You can't use the same approach. Some situations call for reserved instruction, some call for positive reinforcement, and some call for all-out ass chewing. You need to have balance. Lea is known for being very reserved and positive, but I'm sure when we're not looking he's done his fair share of ass chewing, but he knows the balance and when to use which approach. Long clearly hasn't.

                                  You also have to look at it from the players' perspective. Why do you listen to a guy who is constantly on your ass during practice, when he's shown he's not all-in himself? After all, Long has interviewed for different jobs multiple times since being here.

                                  Hard to buy into someone like that when they themselves aren't bought in.
                                  You might be right.
                                  The only thing I know... the burgers get smaller every year...
                                  I was smarter when I drank...
                                  I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                    Can I ask why you don't want HH back?

                                    And as for blaming Quinn or Long, I think Long might have had some effect, but we just didn't see any real improvement, individual or collectively, on the offensive line. Again, maybe you can blame Long, but IIRC from when I checked when he was hired, at Quinn's previous stops the offensive line's numbers generally got worse each year he was there.
                                    - Are you a Bears fan? If so, then you should probably know why. HH took over a solid OL unit and was expected to get them to the next level. Instead, they've regressed considerably and are arguably the worst run blocking unit in the league. Not to mention that Hiestand seemed to have phoned things in on the recruiting trail in his final year. I don't think he liked recruiting, which is another issue.

                                    - As for the overall improvement of the OL, I mean that's going to happen when your best player (Banks) suffers a major injury and is severely limited in his impact, then you lose your next two best players for the season. On top of that, you lose a guy in Dexter who could take advantage of the OL's wins. ND simply didn't have that this year. The OL won a lot more battles up front than they're given credit for, because our RB's simply couldn't take advantage because they weren't fast or decisive enough. Not to mention Book spent 2/3 of the season failing to take shots downfield and running into pressure or bailing out of the pocket for no reason.

                                    Then on top of all that, you have all the crap with Long.

                                    As for your claim that Quinn's OLs got worse each year. I don't know if that's accurate. Can't confirm the results of the line in and of itself, but at Central Michigan, their total offense improved each year, not got worse. The year prior to Kelly/Quinn arriving, they were 75th. They rose to 45th in 2004, then 32nd in both 2005 and 2006.

                                    At Cincy, they were 38th in 2007, dropped to 58th in 2008 but then rose to 13th in 2009.

                                    He also had his fair share of o-linemen who went onto become league mainstays.
                                    It's Just a Ride.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Circa View Post
                                      You might be right.
                                      The only thing I know... the burgers get smaller every year...
                                      Are the burgers vegan and bio-friendly?
                                      It's Just a Ride.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                                        If we are gonna go from the outside Id like a coach who is :
                                        1. Young
                                        2. A proven recruiter
                                        3. Has a good history with offenses
                                        Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                        Does Charlie still have all those big rings?

                                        ND shouldn't have to pay him for the next 20 years.
                                        Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                        Yup, we should have at least 10 years of credit built up with him.

                                        I thought it weird that he said coach QBs, OL, TEs, etc.. especially the OL part.

                                        So if it turns out to be an outside guy, who wants to coach QBs, what about Reesus?

                                        Hoping the exhaustive search is all for show, and Tommy is wired in already.
                                        I pointed out in another thread that Charlie Weis Jr was not taken by Joey Freshwater to Ole Miss

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                          I pointed out in another thread that Charlie Weis Jr was not taken by Joey Freshwater to Ole Miss
                                          Who get's the easiest jobs on this planet???
                                          <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l0HlzsvionO1tXj3y" width="480" height="266" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/football-alabama-collegefootball-l0HlzsvionO1tXj3y">via GIPHY</a></p>

                                          The guy that had a great dad.

                                          Blake Barnett was in that GIF... btw. Mr. Loy with the kid that was.
                                          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CSakevI7DoA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                          Last edited by Circa; 12-15-2019, 03:34 AM.
                                          I was smarter when I drank...
                                          I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Not a huge fan of the idea of promoting Rees. This offense desperately needs some fresh blood.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                                              If we are gonna go from the outside Id like a coach who is :
                                              1. Young
                                              2. A proven recruiter
                                              3. Has a good history with offenses
                                              For me it's:
                                              Old
                                              Average recruiter
                                              And all D!

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                Not a huge fan of the idea of promoting Rees. This offense desperately needs some fresh blood.
                                                I don't think they need fresh blood, but they need somebody with new wrinkles and more importantly, a guy who the players respect and can get the players to execute.

                                                The scheme wasn't necessarily the problem, but from many accounts, Long was just not good at reaching his players and getting them to execute his scheme. Seemed closer to BVG than Lea for comparison sake.

                                                If Rees is pegged as a guy with a bright future in coaching, then it may be good to get somebody with fresh new ideas, without requiring the offense having to start from scratch.

                                                I just don't think a complete tear down is either necessary or necessarily beneficial.

                                                But it's on Kelly to make that call.
                                                It's Just a Ride.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                                  - Are you a Bears fan? If so, then you should probably know why. HH took over a solid OL unit and was expected to get them to the next level. Instead, they've regressed considerably and are arguably the worst run blocking unit in the league. Not to mention that Hiestand seemed to have phoned things in on the recruiting trail in his final year. I don't think he liked recruiting, which is another issue.

                                                  - As for the overall improvement of the OL, I mean that's going to happen when your best player (Banks) suffers a major injury and is severely limited in his impact, then you lose your next two best players for the season. On top of that, you lose a guy in Dexter who could take advantage of the OL's wins. ND simply didn't have that this year. The OL won a lot more battles up front than they're given credit for, because our RB's simply couldn't take advantage because they weren't fast or decisive enough. Not to mention Book spent 2/3 of the season failing to take shots downfield and running into pressure or bailing out of the pocket for no reason.

                                                  Then on top of all that, you have all the crap with Long.

                                                  As for your claim that Quinn's OLs got worse each year. I don't know if that's accurate. Can't confirm the results of the line in and of itself, but at Central Michigan, their total offense improved each year, not got worse. The year prior to Kelly/Quinn arriving, they were 75th. They rose to 45th in 2004, then 32nd in both 2005 and 2006.

                                                  At Cincy, they were 38th in 2007, dropped to 58th in 2008 but then rose to 13th in 2009.

                                                  He also had his fair share of o-linemen who went onto become league mainstays.
                                                  In all fairness, wasn't the Bears OL bottom 5 or 10 in 17 and 18 (run blocking)?
                                                  And it's not like they've drafted a bunch of studs in the early rounds either to help themselves out.

                                                  Also, with Tribusty, I'm guessing most teams concentrate on stopping the run and dare them to throw, just like they do with the Colts. The difference is, the Colts actually have some stellar talent on the OL.
                                                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Suprised no one mentioned Will Hall from Tulane on this tread.... unless I missed it. Maybe not because of the close relationship with C Long, but dude coaches TE's and appears to run a good offense. Pretty sure Lucky or NDC mentioned him somewhere else.
                                                    " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                      Not a huge fan of the idea of promoting Rees. This offense desperately needs some fresh blood.
                                                      It appears the only fresh blood needed is in relationship to communicating with the players. The offensive numbers weren't that bad. Room for improvement yes, but the O wasn't a dumpster fire.

                                                      From Kelly's statement and reading between the lines, I think either Tommy or Taylor will end up the OC. My money is on Tommy. Look for Quinn to get moved to another position and a new line coach to be hired.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Go steal Vince Marrow.

                                                        Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk
                                                        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                          It appears the only fresh blood needed is in relationship to communicating with the players. The offensive numbers weren't that bad. Room for improvement yes, but the O wasn't a dumpster fire.

                                                          From Kelly's statement and reading between the lines, I think either Tommy or Taylor will end up the OC. My money is on Tommy. Look for Quinn to get moved to another position and a new line coach to be hired.

                                                          I don't hate this idea.... Co-Coordinators, Tommy in the box, Lance on the field. Quinn moves to T/E's and acts as a bit of a mentor for the new OC's. New OLine coach.

                                                          Again, if we go outside, I like the OL/OC guy from Oklahoma Bill Bedenbaugh, Will Hall Tulane or they guy from Wake, but he also coaches QBs.
                                                          " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Can someone explain how a co-coordinator situation works? Someone has to call the plays, right? Do they play rock-paper-scissors before each snap?

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                              It appears the only fresh blood needed is in relationship to communicating with the players. The offensive numbers weren't that bad. Room for improvement yes, but the O wasn't a dumpster fire.

                                                              From Kelly's statement and reading between the lines, I think either Tommy or Taylor will end up the OC. My money is on Tommy. Look for Quinn to get moved to another position and a new line coach to be hired.
                                                              My money is on them sharing those duties.

                                                              And I would like some fresh ideas in the mix but I'm not certain you need to go outside the organization to get that. Urban Meyer was an assistant coach working under Bob F******* Davie's dinosaur of an offensive system.

                                                              I guess what I'm saying is that I won't complain about an internal hire even if it doesn't really excite me. Rees is an unknown quantity due to his youth and inexperience and Taylor has worked with Stanford and in the NFL so there's no reason to think his vision of the offense is just BK warmed over. Given Stanford's rushing attack when Taylor was there I would be excited to see some of that with ND.

                                                              I would be least excited for Jeff Quinn to be in that seat but it sounds like that won't happen. If BK was just looking for a new Molnar to be a substitute BK then Quinn is the obvious move. Since he doesn't appear to be a consideration I am hopeful that whoever gets the job will be there because they have something to add.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                                Suprised no one mentioned Will Hall from Tulane on this tread.... unless I missed it. Maybe not because of the close relationship with C Long, but dude coaches TE's and appears to run a good offense. Pretty sure Lucky or NDC mentioned him somewhere else.
                                                                I had brought Will Hall up about a month ago as a possibility. I'd love if BK gave him an interview.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  If it's not Reese/Taylor:

                                                                  Hire Justin Frye from UCLA as OC/OL coach.

                                                                  Hire Vince Marrow to coach TE's [recruit everyone]. If you can't get him, move Quinn there.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                    Go steal Vince Marrow.

                                                                    Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk
                                                                    Why him? I haven't been all that thrilled with Kentucky, offensively. Their offense was ranked 86th this year. They only went 7-5 and their offense didn't seem like it did much against decent teams. 21 points vs Florida, 7 points against SCar, 20 vs Arkansas, 0 vs UGA, 7 vs Missouri, 45 vs Louisville, 38 vs Vanderbilt.

                                                                    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...m-offense.html

                                                                    https://fbschedules.com/kentucky-football-schedule/

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Originally posted by GreenGemsOmally View Post
                                                                      Why him? I haven't been all that thrilled with Kentucky, offensively. Their offense was ranked 86th this year. They only went 7-5 and their offense didn't seem like it did much against decent teams. 21 points vs Florida, 7 points against SCar, 20 vs Arkansas, 0 vs UGA, 7 vs Missouri, 45 vs Louisville, 38 vs Vanderbilt.

                                                                      https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...m-offense.html

                                                                      https://fbschedules.com/kentucky-football-schedule/
                                                                      He's an ace recruiter and good TE coach.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by GreenGemsOmally View Post
                                                                        Why him? I haven't been all that thrilled with Kentucky, offensively. Their offense was ranked 86th this year. They only went 7-5 and their offense didn't seem like it did much against decent teams. 21 points vs Florida, 7 points against SCar, 20 vs Arkansas, 0 vs UGA, 7 vs Missouri, 45 vs Louisville, 38 vs Vanderbilt.

                                                                        https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...m-offense.html

                                                                        https://fbschedules.com/kentucky-football-schedule/
                                                                        He's a great recruiter. Beau, Lion, and even TTown all agree on this

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                          He's a great recruiter. Beau, Lion, and even TTown all agree on this
                                                                          Think he'd go from Associate Head Coach at UK to TE/Recruiting here? Doubtful. But that's good to know, makes sense.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Originally posted by GreenGemsOmally View Post
                                                                            Think he'd go from Associate Head Coach at UK to TE/Recruiting here? Doubtful. But that's good to know, makes sense.
                                                                            Why not? Afterall it is Kentucky.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Originally posted by GreenGemsOmally View Post
                                                                              Think he'd go from Associate Head Coach at UK to TE/Recruiting here? Doubtful. But that's good to know, makes sense.
                                                                              Money talks. Is there another Assistant Head Coach title for BK to throw out?

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                Why not? Afterall it is Kentucky.
                                                                                Sure, but Polian is already Recruiting coordinator and he's done a solid job IMO. Marrow might be a good coach but to me it just sounds like we'd be shuffling things to offer him just because, not necessarily because he's a fit for a position we have.

                                                                                I could definitely be wrong though, a lot of other people are more keyed into what would work best for the program.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by GreenGemsOmally View Post
                                                                                  Think he'd go from Associate Head Coach at UK to TE/Recruiting here? Doubtful. But that's good to know, makes sense.
                                                                                  How about..... Super Associate Head Coach and TE/Recruiting

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Vince Marrow is not coming to ND. Sorry. Hes actually the highest paid TE coach in the country. Hes making $625,000 in 2020 and ND isnt topping that for just a position coach. I am a huge fan of Marrow and Id love for him to come and I thought he could be poached but after seeing hes the #2 in the program bad makes $100,000 more than the second highest paid TE coach in the country, I realize hes there unless someone comes with an OC role for him. I dont think ND will come with the OC role for him so I believe hes not coming to ND for just a position coach role.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      I heard that Rees called the last four games. I think that's especially interesting because that's when the offense really took off again. It's also when Book started to play better. Still not sure I would hire Tommy as an OC but he's smart and worth keeping an eye on. I also heard that Long was greatly disliked by many of the players for being a "hardass". Maybe this was a move to keep Book around? Not sure. Either way, the bowl game should be interesting. And the only thing I know for sure is that Quinn should be fired. But I doubt Kelly has the stones to do it.
                                                                                      Last edited by charlyp123; 12-16-2019, 01:30 PM.
                                                                                      "Strength in this life, happiness in the next."

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        I have seen Lax say that Tommy was calling plays the last 4 games, but that is the only place I have seen or heard that. Does not mean it is not true, but I would like to hear that come out of the GUG or from another source as well.
                                                                                        " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                                                          I have seen Lax say that Tommy was calling plays the last 4 games, but that is the only place I have seen or heard that. Does not mean it is not true, but I would like to hear that come out of the GUG or from another source as well.
                                                                                          Didn't Kelly say something along the lines that Rees helped script the gameplan for the passing game in his most recent PC?
                                                                                          Love Thee Notre Dame!

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                                                                            Didn't Kelly say something along the lines that Rees helped script the gameplan for the passing game in his most recent PC?
                                                                                            Yes he did.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                                                              I have seen Lax say that Tommy was calling plays the last 4 games, but that is the only place I have seen or heard that. Does not mean it is not true, but I would like to hear that come out of the GUG or from another source as well.
                                                                                              Well, I think that was a patch up job, after the fact, by the ND media. It was seemingly fairly well known that there was significant changes to the offense. Heck, you could see it on the field. Now after the class has been saved, thanks to Long for some help there, we've seen a lot of mea culpas from the ND media. Don't think that was a coincidence.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                                                Well, I think that was a patch up job, after the fact, by the ND media. It was seemingly fairly well known that there was significant changes to the offense. Heck, you could see it on the field. Now after the class has been saved, thanks to Long for some help there, we've seen a lot of mea culpas from the ND media. Don't think that was a coincidence.
                                                                                                I agree. I did hear Sampson & Fortuna say that Rees has never called a play when talking about him as a possible OC...similar to when Lea took the DC job.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by GreenGemsOmally View Post
                                                                                                  Sure, but Polian is already Recruiting coordinator and he's done a solid job IMO. Marrow might be a good coach but to me it just sounds like we'd be shuffling things to offer him just because, not necessarily because he's a fit for a position we have.

                                                                                                  I could definitely be wrong though, a lot of other people are more keyed into what would work best for the program.
                                                                                                  I guess I should have used italics.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                                                    Well, I think that was a patch up job, after the fact, by the ND media. It was seemingly fairly well known that there was significant changes to the offense. Heck, you could see it on the field. Now after the class has been saved, thanks to Long for some help there, we've seen a lot of mea culpas from the ND media. Don't think that was a coincidence.
                                                                                                    Sure, it was one of those things where I didn't doubt the info, and in fact thought it seemed accurate, just didn't have anything definitive.
                                                                                                    " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X