Ball State Post-Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball State Post-Game Thread

Get your venting ... err, thoughts and rational analysis ... out here.

This is long but whatever:

1. I knew this was going to be a letdown game, but still picked ND to win by multiple scores even if sloppy. What blows my mind is the lack of execution in the second half to put the game away. Either this is going to light a fire under everyone's behinds or this team is headed to 8-4.

2. The OL is an absolute joke. I don't know how much you can lay at Quinn's feet, but the amount of mental and physical failures today was astounding. We can't run the ball because they can't run block worth a damn... no "nasty", no push up front, tons of whiffs. Against Ball State. They can't pass block, because the tackles get whipped on every play and the interior OL lets in free rushers on basic delayed blitzes and stunts. Can't wait for some more apologist analysis this week about how they're actually doing good. If anyone has access to the PFF grades for the OL to this point, please link them here I'm very curious. Bottom line... if he OL play does not improve this team is going nowhere. The reason the team was good in 2015 and 2017 was the ability to consistently run the ball. If the team that played today shows up against Stanford and at Virginia Tech, we will get 2017 Miami'd.

3. You can blame a lot of Wimbush errors on the consistently terrible blocking. You cannot blame the myriad of ill-advised throws or the bad mechanics or the times he didn't see the open receiver on the OL. If we have to turn into a finesse team on account of a bad OL, we need to revisit Ian Book.

4. Special teams is still a disaster. Another kickoff out of bounds. Finke fumbled a punt that could've potentially cost us the game and we got very lucky. Some short, shanked punts. And Yoon -- who is a beast -- even missed a field goal.

5. The defense was OK and asked to do too much... they did not do a good enough job of getting off the field on 3rd and long IMO. For as low of a completion percentage as they held Ball State's QB too, they still somehow racked up 300+ yards and could've rather easily scored 20+ points.
    Last edited by IrishLax; 09-08-2018, 06:23 PM.

The defense looks like a defense for a 10 win team.

The offense looks like that of a 6 win team.

Pretty maddening how BK can’t seem to field a complete team on both sides of the ball.

Comment

Aside from the first drive the defense was pretty good.

Awful offensive gameplan that hampered the offensive line and Wimbush.

Special teams are still puke worthy.

Comment

Just disappointing all the way around. Starters having to play the whole game will catch up to us eventually.
        "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

If you pound trulys really fast you can get drunk and still not intake all the carbs you do from beer and it helps you on a diet. That’s what I learned today. What he actual fuck was that? I remember y’all laughing at me for fearing this but...shit man. Hopefully we fucking improve.
          Love comics, games, and pro-wrestling almost as much as the Irish? Visit my geek culture blog @ www.facebook.com/athleticgeek89 geek out and Go Irish!

Comment

Offensive Line is bad. That is all

Comment

Wimbush is a bit of luck from 0 TDs and 6 picks on the year. I can't watch this guy. Everyone keeps saying he's the best option for this team. If that's the case then we're in a lot of trouble.

Comment

Last edited by Irishnuke; 09-08-2018, 07:00 PM.
                60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Been trying to stay positive and patient for Winbush to improve but enough is enough. If we want to win we need to start playing Book. 3 ints and could of been more against Ball St is turrible! I know the line didn't play well but throw some check down passes or throw the ball away!
                  GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Also, Kelly is going to keep playing Wimbush. He's your only shot of getting to the playoffs. Get used to it.

Comment

$hit sandwich

Comment

Some teams got their wake-up call last week...I guess it was our turn this week. On defense we made that QB look awesome with liberal cushions and little pressure. On offense we have a running QB who didn't have a designed run until the second half. Didn't see much aggression from that O-Line. We should have been able to get the edge on that team but didn't try very often.

Comment

Originally posted by SoIll View Post
                          Also, Kelly is going to keep playing Wimbush. He's your only shot of getting to the playoffs. Get used to it.
                          So you're saying there's no shot...

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy89 View Post
                            If you pound trulys really fast you can get drunk and still not intake all the carbs you do from beer and it helps you on a diet. That’s what I learned today. What he actual fuck was that? I remember y’all laughing at me for fearing this but...shit man. Hopefully we fucking improve.
                            What are trulys and where can I pick some up?
                            I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

We knew the OL would be taking a step back with the loss of two 1st rounders. The only question was how big, and early returns look pretty bad. Might also indicate that the loss of Hiestand was far bigger than most here expected.

Unless our OL play improves dramatically, we'll be lucky to hit 8 wins.

Comment

Enough will be said about BW and o-line, so I will focus my ire elsewhere:

RBs are not up to snuff. Armstrong is in over his head (understandably), and TJJ is meh at best. I hope and pray Dexter is what everyone thinks he is, and is ready to rock and roll for Stanford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not a fan of Jeff Quinn and his OL. They looked awful today, especially when it was time to take over the game.

Comment

Hainsey and Wimbush are terrible. Neg rep me if you like, terrible game for both.

Comment

coaches took the week off and gave the fan base the finger.

any non megalomaniac coach plays Book

Oline has no grit but to their defense they have no idea how to do their jobs with Wimbush out there.

I would love to see the offense with Book and Dex

Defense is awesome overall, but a few players took the week off.
                                      (Tillery)

Doerer wtf? special teams remain a trainwreck

this was a terrible effort by coaches and a few players

Comment

The only way BW should still be playing is if we give up on trying to force him to be a pocket passer and let him use his legs. What is the worst that happens, he gets hurt? Then we go to our backup who is probably a better option anyway if we don't let BW run.

We need to come out full go next week and put Vandy away early to make a statement to ourselves if not to the rest of the country. Some teams have the rep built up to withstand a bad game or two and not drop in the rankings. We do not have that luxury. With the CFP rankings we not only have to win our games, if we want any margin for error with a loss then we need to show out in the games we win, not barely squeak by a team that people thought at the time was a terrible MAC team even if they end up being better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                                          What are trulys and where can I pick some up?
                                          https://www.trulyspikedsparkling.com

Don’t know if they sell them in your area but they’re a spiked sparkling water. I warn you the flavor is very light and almost non existent. If you’re not on a diet or watching your carbs just stick with beer you’ll be much happier. However , for me who wants to drop a few pounds but still needing some booze to make it through the game they’re a godsend. 5% alcohol and if you drink them quickly (and it’s a bad habit but take a few dips of chew in between) you can get a hell of a buzz. God knows we needed it this week.
                                          Love comics, games, and pro-wrestling almost as much as the Irish? Visit my geek culture blog @ www.facebook.com/athleticgeek89 geek out and Go Irish!

Comment

Ball St was noted as easily the worst team ND would face this season. If so, the only shot of getting to CFPs ended today. Now they’ll have to buy tickets like everyone else.

Comment

No intensity.. Repeated play calls with no push or urgency... Went through the motions... Better get ready which I feel they will
                                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Also how many times to you call the dive play when your line is playing like crap and you are getting no yards on it?
                                                GO IRISH!!!

Comment

If the line is that horrible then how did they manage to hold up well enough to beat Michigan last week? If they're as bad as you all are making out we would have had zero shot last week against the Future NFL All Stars that Michigan field on the defensive line. It's one game. Are they as good as last years? Of course not, if that's what you expected then you deserve to be upset. Give it time, there's a lot of talent there. Also, if anyone didn't expect a let down this week, then you must be new to ND football. I, for one, am gonna get a larger sample size before I declare absolute bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                                                    Just disappointing all the way around. Starters having to play the whole game will catch up to us eventually.
                                                    It does every year. It's no mystery why we fade towards the end of the year. That and doing shit like scheduling @Miami, Navy, @Stanford.
                                                    "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                                      We knew the OL would be taking a step back with the loss of two 1st rounders. The only question was how big, and early returns look pretty bad. Might also indicate that the loss of Hiestand was far bigger than most here expected.

Unless our OL play improves dramatically, we'll be lucky to hit 8 wins.
                                                      I don't know if I can accept the "O Line is taking a step back" narrative. How the hell did we beat a team that is a top 3 D and number 1 or 2 DL?

Originally posted by Norcal Irish View Post
                                                      Hainsey and Wimbush are terrible. Neg rep me if you like, terrible game for both.
                                                      Hainsey IMO is still hurt. Should not have been playing if so.

Originally posted by Irishman77 View Post

Oline has no grit but to their defense they have no idea how to do their jobs with Wimbush out there.

(Tillery)

I still curious about why we didn't see Book (unless BK was trying to force BW to learn). And why we saw PJ for one play....
                                                      Truly horrible coaching, prep, and player scholarship managment
                                                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

I don't know why everyone is so surprised if you've watched Notre Dame...ever. We are the poster child for playing to the level of our competition. Today was no exception. I would've been more surprised if we actually did what we were supposed to do with Ball State. This is just who we are against mid-majors.

My main observation is that Long cannot design a gameplan to utilize Wimbush effectively. More designed runs, more RPOs, more zone read. If we continue to try and shove pocket passing down BW's throat, we will be an 8 win team.

I thought the defense played fine.

Newsome has an air of a wannabe Pat McAfee without the leg and ability to kick directionally.

Overall, I'm not too concerned because we do this every year, but we have a lot to fix before 2:30 next Saturday.

Comment

End of story!!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernIndianaNDFan View Post
                                                            If the line is that horrible then how did they manage to hold up well enough to beat Michigan last week? If they're as bad as you all are making out we would have had zero shot last week against the Future NFL All Stars that Michigan field on the defensive line. It's one game. Are they as good as last years? Of course not, if that's what you expected then you deserve to be upset. Give it time, there's a lot of talent there. Also, if anyone didn't expect a let down this week, then you must be new to ND football. I, for one, am gonna get a larger sample size before I declare absolute bankruptcy.
                                                            The thing is... they didn't hold up. There is no way to look at their failures in the second half and say they "held up"... they got throttled the entire second half, and it almost let Michigan come back.

ND beat Michigan despite an unbelievably poor performance from the OL in the 2nd half. The first half they were good enough. So in 8 quarters of football, there are 6 bad ones and 2 OK ones.

Like you said, we need larger sample size, but it's getting close to time to push the panic button.

Comment

We keep saying this, at this point it's only true because everyone says it.
                                                              "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

Yep, wasn’t all on Wimbush. They were really bad, relative to the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                  The thing is... they didn't hold up. There is no way to look at their failures in the second half and say they "held up"... they got throttled the entire second half, and it almost let Michigan come back.

ND beat Michigan despite an unbelievably poor performance from the OL in the 2nd half. The first half they were good enough. So in 8 quarters of football, there are 6 bad ones and 2 OK ones.

Like you said, we need larger sample size, but it's getting close to time to push the panic button.
                                                                  Not saying it's all on the OL, or all on BW... but I think more and more... we beat scUM by lucky catches in the first half, and lucky penalties that kept drives going...
                                                                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Painful shit to watch. Execution on offense was absolutely piss poor in all facets. Hopefully this wakes the boys the fuck up.
                                                                    MZ is the QB for me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

I mean, I hear you...but we're 2 and 0, and beat a very solid Michigan team last week. They'll get better. There's a lot of youth there, and they just don't have the in-game reps needed to be consistent at this point. Definitely need a larger sample size. We haven't even lost a game and people are jumping off of buildings into traffic haha

Comment

I wonder how the game would've been different had the gameplan let bw run from the beginning...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

(Tillery)

That’s just now what happened. They were missing blocks, slow on pulls, and not able to execute remedially stuff. The QB had nothing to do with Kraemer’s struggles pulling, or Mustipher getting owned by the MLB, or Liam not being able to sustain a block on a called QB keeper for even 1 second. None are QB related.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                            That’s just now what happened. They were missing blocks, slow on pulls, and not able to execute remedially stuff. The QB had nothing to do with Kraemer’s struggles pulling, or Mustipher getting owned by the MLB, or Liam not being able to sustain a block on a called QB keeper for even 1 second. None are QB related.
                                                                            I agree Lucci...it was a shit show

we need a better distributor of the football with this O line

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Is anyone opposed to just welcoming the future of ND Football (5 star Phil)? I mean, Clemson plays Trevor Lawrence, and I believe he would have success, at least to the level we're currently experiencing, if not moreso. Just an idea.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I don’t know where to begin but like everyone else said, the OL looked horrible. Hainsey looks like the exact same player as last year. No improvement whatsoever. Wimbush is the same. No improvement whatsoever. Stares down receivers, cant run the zone read, wont work through his progressions and isn’t accurate. Is it him or really poor coaching. I believe it is a little of both. How can he be the best a ND has to offer? Defense was okay but a game like today will wear them down over time. Tranquil is largely nonexistent unless he is blitzing. We lose contain on the QB entirely too much in the passing game. Other then Love , our corners look average at best. It is good to see Elliott making plays. Games like these are a staple of the Kelly era. They consistently play down to their competition. I thought he might be able to get them going after half but nope, same shit as the 1st half. That is really worrisome. If they play like this next week, they will los at home to a bad Vandy team. Unfortunately, I am worried about my season prediction of 5 losses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  We should have thrown money at Warriner when he became available again, rather than let him go to Michigan. Their OL will be good once he's gotten more time with them. Say what you want about Warriner's recruiting or lack thereof, he is one of the better OL coaches after the greatest that we lost last year.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    And on the flipside the oline had nothing to do with misreads , terrible throws and interceptions (minus 1). You seem to have an issue grasping that the qb is responsible for making the right read.

Was the oline good? Nope . was Wimbush good? Nope. Stop trying to push your opinion across like it's gospel because you refuse to accept Wimbush isn't playing even average.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      I agree Lucci...it was a shit show

we need a better distributor of the football with this O line
                                                                                      Huh? Some of those were runs plays.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                                                                        Enough will be said about BW and o-line, so I will focus my ire elsewhere:

RBs are not up to snuff. Armstrong is in over his head (understandably), and TJJ is meh at best. I hope and pray Dexter is what everyone thinks he is, and is ready to rock and roll for Stanford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                                                        My thoughts exactly! Jafar is a good pass catcher and f you give him a nice hole he is ok but we need Dexter to be all he can be.

Comment

• #45

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Which is what he should do.
                                                                                            However when Brandon is playing sloppy he should be punished.
                                                                                            I would have sat him after the second int and gave Book a series or two.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Huh? Some of those were runs plays.
                                                                                              I was very critical of the O line too today.. In one of my posts I said Kraemer blocks like a 90 year old man Fuuks with a hangover.

I get it, but in college football the difference is QB play. Wimbush sucks

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by anarin View Post
                                                                                                And on the flipside the oline had nothing to do with misreads , terrible throws and interceptions (minus 1). You seem to have an issue grasping that the qb is responsible for making the right read.

Was the oline good? Nope . was Wimbush good? Nope. Stop trying to push your opinion across like it's gospel because you refuse to accept Wimbush isn't playing even average.
                                                                                                Nobody said Wimbush was good. You were saying because Wimbush wasn’t good we should bench him. I said, that’d be an issue because then we’d be benching a lot of other players as well. And, the OL has a significant impact on how a QB reads a defense. That’s literslly the point. Read progression is based on time to get through the reads. If you don’t have that time, you won’t be able to complete the process.

This also includes the run game. Wimbush put us in bad situations, but so did blown blocks in the run game. At times early downs were a disaster

Comment

• #49

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Both the OL and QB played poor today.
                                                                                                    Not sure why the coaches decided not to let Brandon use his legs but that was the clear plan. Wimbush has terrible vision. There were a ton of plays where tight ends and wide receivers were running free. Should have been an easy victory.
                                                                                                    It was clear the team was flat and had no energy. Hopefully it comes back next week.
                                                                                                    Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X