Michigan Post-Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Post-Game Thread

I don't want the responsibility of doing these going forward, but where are the guys who normally do this???

Anyway, my thoughts... from the game thread...

My bud light thoughts.... since there is no after game thread...
    actually this was the closest i watched a game in years....

First of all
    F()CK all of you that picked Meatchicken...

Second... to BK....
    -BK, grow a pair and call plays to win
    -BK, spend some time with STs....

Third.... I was right about....
    -ND would out D Michigan's D
    -Patterson is soft
    -Our Ss were awesome
    -Tillery would stand out
    -Coney would hurt someone

Forth..... I was wrong about
    -I thought ND would beat them by 10 or more... If BK had nuts, maybe, but I should have known....
    -BW.... He improved to 55% I think. That's awesome if true, along with his legs that's enough.
    -RBs... Jafar did better than expected

Random
    -Is our OL struggling, or was it the scUM DL? Or playcalling? Not scared...
    -WRs and TEs were awesome early. Faded later. BK playcalling at fault?

F()CK MICHIGAN

Great night!!
    Bigggggly WIN
    I'm giving up political threads till we lose!
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Let’s all hope that scUM’s D truly is one of the best in the nation b/c if the aren’t, the Irish OL is in for a long season.

Comment

I saw Junk did one too a little late. Feel free to give him the thread and kill mine

Comment

Too late, you merged

Comment

The game was only close because our ST mistakes gave them 10 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishize View Post
            Letís all hope that scUMís D truly is one of the best in the nation b/c if the arenít, the Irish OL is in for a long season.
            A lot of the pressure came from Gary, Bush and Winovich; all 3 are future NFL players. Could the o-line have played better? Yes, but this was game 1 with a new o-line coach and no Mike/Q.

This was an awesome test of the o-line and they'll only get better from this experience. Hainsey, in particular, should learn a lot from this.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
              Also that bad formation on Boykin’s TD cost us four.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                ST and 2nd half play calling

Comment

That defense was legit. Fast and stout. The best we will play this year I'm home.

Comment

I just wish I could have sat next to Desmond Howard during the game. You know since he picked Michigan to win the National Championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                      A lot of the pressure came from Gary, Bush and Winovich; all 3 are future NFL players. Could the o-line have played better? Yes, but this was game 1 with a new o-line coach and no Mike/Q.

This was an awesome test of the o-line and they'll only get better from this experience. Hainsey, in particular, should learn a lot from this.
                      Hainsey, in particular, had a tough night. Hopefully he does learn. Talent-wise, though, I think this has to be the best defensive front weíll play. If it isnít, itís a good think weíve got Book because Wimbush wont last the year.

Comment

Officiating was horrible in the first and when the ACC crew decided to keep it close in the 2nd half
                        Last edited by Circa; 09-02-2018, 01:56 PM.
                        I was smarter when I drank...
                        I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                          I just wish I could have sat next to Desmond Howard during the game. You know since he picked Michigan to win the National Championship.

A natty, or even the Big Ten title game, is going to be hard with that trash offense they showed. Unless our D is just that good. Which it might be.

Comment

Defense was phenomenal! I canít think of any subpar play from any player.
                            The DL collapsed the pocket all night long.
                            Offense was okay. The Finke TD probably should have been picked. Needs lot of work or they could lose us some games. Hainsey got abused all night. Hopefully he can turn it around.
                            Hopefully Armstrong can get better each week. We need Dex back and starting ASAP.
                            At the end of the day we beat Harbaugh and Iím pumped. F*** Michigan. Go Irish
                            Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                              I saw Junk did one too a little late. Feel free to give him the thread and kill mine
                              Hey, no prob, I deleted mine.
                              2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Circa View Post
                                Officiating was horrible in the first and when the big ten crew decided to keep it close in the 2nd half
                                Wasn't that an ACC crew?

Comment

Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                  Defense was phenomenal! I canít think of any subpar play from any player.
                                  The DL collapsed the pocket all night long.
                                  Offense was okay. The Finke TD probably should have been picked. Needs lot of work or they could lose us some games. Hainsey got abused all night. Hopefully he can turn it around.
                                  Hopefully Armstrong can get better each week. We need Dex back and starting ASAP.
                                  At the end of the day we beat Harbaugh and Iím pumped. F*** Michigan. Go Irish
                                  Several of those passes were lucky to have been caught. I'm not bitching, but we did have some luck on our side.....

Hainsey will look a lot better not going against next year's NFLers...

Jafar will look a lot better not going against next year's NFLers...

Comment

1. Except for the terrible kick return touch down was the special teams really that bad? Newsome was excellent bar one kick, Claypool is locked in, Yoon same as ever.
                                    2. Coney will get drafted somewhere early.
                                    3. Avery Davis looks good.
                                    I could go on but I have to settle down.

Comment

I'm going to avoid the pessimism train tonight and enjoy the win.

Wimbush made the plays he needed to to get us where we needed to be. I wasn't too impressed with Michigan's secondary, but their defensive line is legit. Our O-Line struggled, but I can't help but feel like that may be the best D-Line we face all here (here's hoping).

Speaking of legit, our defense! Way to go Clark Lea! Terrorizing! That was about as perfect as can be. Can't even fault them for giving up the touchdown late, because they were on the field pretty much all second half.

The only criticism I have is we still don't know how to defend kick-offs and it's frustrating. This game should have never been close, but Newsome's shank punt (though he did make up for it afterward...) and the terrible kick return, we should have had this game in the bag long before we did.

Oh, well. We won. Michigan wanted us back on the schedule and we gave it to them.

1-0, boys!

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post

That is my hope as well.

As someone else posted, ST cost us 10 points.

Comment

It’s already beginning that Michigan lost the game and their offense has not improved. Media not giving credit to ND defense....typical

Comment

It’s already beginning that Michigan lost the game and their offense has not improved. Media not giving credit to ND defense....typical

Who is saying this?

Comment

Originally posted by Junkhead View Post
                                              Hey, no prob, I deleted mine.
                                              didn't you and stl do it years past?

Comment

Originally posted by Junkhead View Post
                                                Wasn't that an ACC crew?
                                                I'm pretty sure away teams carry their home crew. I may be wrong but If that was ACC... FML
                                                Last edited by Circa; 09-02-2018, 01:57 PM.
                                                I was smarter when I drank...
                                                I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                  1. Except for the terrible kick return touch down was the special teams really that bad? Newsome was excellent bar one kick, Claypool is locked in, Yoon same as ever.
                                                  The kickoff situation was fine as soon as they went to Yoon. Before that, disaster.

The FG game was 1/1. Newsome was pretty good after that bad first kick.

Sadly, all it takes is a mistake or two to have a huge impact. A singular error ultimately ended up almost costing us a game where our defense totally shut them down. But in the second half they were much improved. They need to be consistent and mistake free though if we're gonna be successful against this schedule.

Comment

Rewatching the key plays... Doug Flutie is a douche, during every big UM play he can’t chime in with excitement fast enough... during the early TDs and especially after the final fumble, he’s silent.... NOTHING, then when he has to say something he couldn’t sound more irritating over the fumble. Fuck this clown.
                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Circa View Post
                                                      I'm pretty sure away teams cary their home crew. I may be wrong but If that was ACC... FML
                                                      It was ACC. I thought it was going to be Big Ten. Big Ten would've screwed us more than once.

Comment

Michigan Post-Game Thread

Surprisingly low blood pressure game. Give the team lots of credit for handling their business without many lapses, and never ceding the lead at any point.

The only play that really made me scream WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!? was Coney trying to run with the icing fumble instead of falling on it.

10/10. Would do again tomorrow, and every day for the rest of time. GO IRISH

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                          Rewatching the key plays... Doug Flutie is a douche, during every big UM play he canít chime in with excitement fast enough... during the early TDs and especially after the final fumble, heís silent.... NOTHING, then when he has to say something he couldnít sound more irritating over the fumble. Fuck this clown.
                                                          They had to wash the jiz off the camera lens several times after he got "happy"... Fudge him

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                                            Surprisingly low blood pressure game. Give the team lots of credit for handling their business without many lapses, and never ceding the lead at any point.

The only play that really made me scream WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!? was Coney trying to run with the icing fumble instead of falling on it.

10/10. Would do again tomorrow, and every day for the rest of time. GO IRISH

lol... did you watch the same end of game that we all did?

I know it wasn't crazy back and forth, but had the same feel as the games we screw away because of play calling.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

1. Yes. Kick out of bounds, late hit, terrible punt leading to points, and another terrible punt that we were lucky didn’t lead to points.

2. No but I love him and he’s a good player for us

3. Not really and I think tony jones has a much bigger role against other teams

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Comment

I mean, what do you want them to say?

Our D looked good and I’m happy with them but that’s not a good offense and hasn’t been for years under Harbaugh.

We don’t always have to be victims because people are being honest

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                  Rewatching the key plays... Doug Flutie is a douche, during every big UM play he can’t chime in with excitement fast enough... during the early TDs and especially after the final fumble, he’s silent.... NOTHING, then when he has to say something he couldn’t sound more irritating over the fumble. Fuck this clown.

I love you

Comment

Wasn’t a fan of the playcalling.
                                                                    Wimbush needs to run upfield more and stop heading to the sidelines.
                                                                    We need Dexters speed badly.
                                                                    Can’t help but feel we get more passing yards with Book in there.
                                                                    D looked great but tired during the closing TD Drive. Thanks to the anemic second half offense. At least Wimbush only turned the ball over once. He needs to keep getting better. Hoping the Michigan D is legit.

Comment

Several of those passes were lucky to have been caught. I'm not bitching, but we did have some luck on our side.....

Hainsey will look a lot better not going against next year's NFLers...

Jafar will look a lot better not going against next year's NFLers...
                                                                      Agreed. Their D is legit. Our boys got baptized by fire. Hopefully no injuries and some starters get rest next week. That was a real battle.

Comment

Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
                                                                        Wasn’t a fan of the playcalling.
                                                                        Wimbush needs to run upfield more and stop heading to the sidelines.
                                                                        We need Dexters speed badly.
                                                                        Can’t help but feel we get more passing yards with Book in there.
                                                                        D looked great but tired during the closing TD Drive. Thanks to the anemic second half offense. At least Wimbush only turned the ball over once. He needs to keep getting better. Hoping the Michigan D is legit.
                                                                        If wimbush stops heading towards the sidelines you'll get a chance to see book put up more passing yards and lose more games

Comment

1. Game played out on offense basically how I thought it would, and our defense was better than I expected. Clark Lea called a heck of a game, the players made big plays in big moments, and Shea Patterson is the most overrated QB I've ever laid eyes on.

2. Alohi Gilman is very good... safety in general is much improved. Troy Pride was barely ever targeted. Our secondary is quite good. Our front seven impressed me too making big plays when they needed to.

3. Our OL needs work. Michigan's front 7 is incredible like we all thought they would be, and that is the best we will see all year. So that's encouraging.

4. I think RB is a weak spot, and I think we're going to struggle to hit explosive runs like we did last year until we get Dexter Williams back.

5. The strength of this team is going to be a vertical passing attack. Loved the tough catches our guys made, even the TD by Boykin that got called back. We only had one bad drop (Alize) and that's a HUGE improvement over last year. Route running still needs work.

6. Big picture, the defense is good enough to win a lot of games as long as the wheels don't fall off the bus with injuries/tendencies a la 2014. The offense needs improvement at every position, but especially on the OL.

7. F U C K M I C H I G A N

Comment

lol... did you watch the same end of game that we all did?

I know it wasn't crazy back and forth, but had the same feel as the games we screw away because of play calling.

Yes it got tense the last 5 minutes, but the defense showed me all game they werent going to let Patterson be the next swinging dick to achieve legendary status in the series for Michigan.

I oddly felt more confident when they had the ball in the 4th, knowing the probability of an ND offensive screw up getting them points was higher than them actually earning points.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              The defense seems good but that isn’t a good offense.

That was a very good defense and the offense looked ok.

Not a good barometer.

Wimbush needs to be more crisp because some of passes were danger that the receivers bailed out.

Hainsey had a tough night with a tough assignment.

I don’t really think there is a whole lot to project from this game. We know and have known we have talent all over the field

Comment

• #40
                                                                                didn't you and stl do it years past?
                                                                                I never did.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Posted elsewhere, but, reps to whoever can post a photo of Tommy, Deshone, and Brandon singing the Alma Mater together... They looked so dang happy.

Reminded me of Anikan, Old Ben, and Yoda at the end of ROTJ.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    https://twitter.com/SeanWSBT/status/...277488640?s=19

Going to drop this here for anyone who is concerned/worried/frustrated with our offense (which was purposefully conservative, and missing our #1 rb)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post
                                                                                      If wimbush stops heading towards the sidelines you'll get a chance to see book put up more passing yards and lose more games
                                                                                      Yep. The last thing we need is Wimbush getting hit even more than he did tonight.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                        1. Game played out on offense basically how I thought it would, and our defense was better than I expected. Clark Lea called a heck of a game, the players made big plays in big moments, and Shea Patterson is the most overrated QB I've ever laid eyes on.
                                                                                        I bet he does a lot better the rest of the year. Our D kept him in check, and it was his first game on a new team, in a new system.

2. Alohi Gilman is very good... safety in general is much improved. Troy Pride was barely ever targeted. Our secondary is quite good. Our front seven impressed me too making big plays when they needed to.
                                                                                        Ss - did much better than expected...
                                                                                        CBs - thought they would do better
                                                                                        DL - was awesome vs what I expected

3. Our OL needs work. Michigan's front 7 is incredible like we all thought they would be, and that is the best we will see all year. So that's encouraging.
                                                                                        I'm happy we're past UM...

4. I think RB is a weak spot, and I think we're going to struggle to hit explosive runs like we did last year until we get Dexter Williams back.
                                                                                        I think we're going to run all over the place next week, then slow a bit, then be pretty good/consistent the second half of the year. Not great like last year, but good.

5. The strength of this team is going to be a vertical passing attack. Loved the tough catches our guys made, even the TD by Boykin that got called back. We only had one bad drop (Alize) and that's a HUGE improvement over last year. Route running still needs work.
                                                                                        Not sure we can keep making catches like we did tonight. I going to hope/assume BW gets confidence, keeps improving, and he makes better passes. If not, our O will end up like it was the second half of last year...

6. Big picture, the defense is good enough to win a lot of games as long as the wheels don't fall off the bus with injuries/tendencies a la 2014. The offense needs improvement at every position, but especially on the OL.
                                                                                        Every position? I think WR and TEs are good enough IF BW improves. Our OL will improve with time, and with that, I think our RBs... I'm not going to bitch about our D at all since they kept us in the game IMO... I'm happier at this point with our DL and Ss, vs our CBs and LBs... which is exactly the opposite of what I thought I would say...

Our STs need a lot of improvement.

7. F U C K M I C H I G A N

Amen

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Kaneyoufeelit View Post
                                                                                          The defense seems good but that isn’t a good offense.

That was a very good defense and the offense looked ok.

Not a good barometer.

Wimbush needs to be more crisp because some of passes were danger that the receivers bailed out.

Hainsey had a tough night with a tough assignment.

I don’t really think there is a whole lot to project from this game. We know and have known we have talent all over the field

How many ďgoodĒ offenses are we going to play this year? USC, and... Stanford? Our d line got consistent pressure without blitzing. They had basically no downfield passing game, and they couldnít really establish a running game. Iím not sure what more you could ask for. This against a top 15 team thatís, on paper anyway, one of the four strongest opponents weíll face all season.
                                                                                          I donít project it means we go to the playoffs, but the way the defense played tonight makes me feel more confident about beating most of the teams on our schedule.

Comment

• #46

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                                              Matchup UM ND
                                                                                              HTML Code:
                                                                                              1st Downs	20	21
                                                                                              3rd efficiency	6-13	7-15
                                                                                              4th efficiency	0-3	1-1
                                                                                              Total Yards	307	302
                                                                                              Passing	        249	170
                                                                                              Comp-Att	24-36	12-22
                                                                                              Yards/pass	6.9	7.7
                                                                                              Ints thrown	1	1
                                                                                              Rushing	58	132
                                                                                              Rush Attempts	33	47
                                                                                              Yards/rush	1.8	2.8
                                                                                              Penalties	7-52	4-40
                                                                                              Turnovers	2	1
                                                                                              Fumbles lost	1	0
                                                                                              Ints thrown	1	1
                                                                                              Possession	31:33	28:27
                                                                                              not a lot of difference....
                                                                                              running is the biggest....
                                                                                              and BW's improvement while facing a top 5 D is the other...

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Every position? I think WR and TEs are good enough IF BW improves. Our OL will improve with time, and with that, I think our RBs... I'm not going to bitch about our D at all since they kept us in the game IMO... I'm happier at this point with our DL and Ss, vs our CBs and LBs... which is exactly the opposite of what I thought I would say...

Our STs need a lot of improvement.
                                                                                                Definitely every position.

And honestly, BW was fine given the constant pressure he was under. He only really "missed" two throws all game. Some of the route running was very bad at times. I give the WRs a lot of credit for making big plays... last year, ESB rarely ever made a contested catch and we had TONS of drops. Not tonight.

QB - I thought he played really well when in the position to make plays. Areas for improvement... needs to throw off back foot less, but I understand why he didn't want to step up into constant pressure. Late and inaccurate on some throws. Always things a QB can do better.
                                                                                                WR - Great contested catches, route running was poor at times (especially on screen passes), lining up wrong cost us a TD, and they didn't really get much separation.
                                                                                                TE - Blocking was not good. Big drop by Mack, but he also made an awesome catch on that targeting.
                                                                                                RB - Tony Jones had some good tough runs, but in general the whole unit was not that impressive. Not a lot of making the first guy miss. Yeah, Michigan LBs and DL are GREAT... so I look forward to Armstrong, Jones, et. al. making big plays in the coming weeks.
                                                                                                OL - thought the tackles were a disaster against speed rushes. Also, the OL did not open up running lanes with any sort of regularity.

So yeah, there is a ton of room for improvement. This kind of execution is not what the team should aspire to. The big caveat is that this is a top 5 defense with a ton of NFL talent AND it's week 1... so things being less than perfect is expected.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Am I the only one that wasn't disappointed with our o line at all? Maybe it was just because I was expecting the worst, but they performed better than anticipated. You're never going to stop a line as strong as Michigan's but I felt that our tackles in particular did a solid job funneling the rush outside, giving Wimbush a chance to climb up in the pocket.

This unit just lost 2 of the best lineman in the country. It's going to take some time for them to gel, and that was the best defense they will face all season.

I'm very bullish on our line going forward.

Also Alohi Gilman is a revelation. When is the last time we have safety play that good??
                                                                                                  Last edited by GATTACA!; 09-02-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                                                                    Am I the only one that wasn't disappointed with our o line at all? Maybe it was just because I was expecting the worst, but they performed better than anticipated. You're never going to stop a line as strong as Michigan's but I felt that our tackles in particular did a solid job funneling the rush and giving Wimbush a chance to climb up in the pocket.

This line just lost 2 of the best lineman in the country. It's going to take some time for them to gel, and that was the best defense they will face all season.

I'm very bullish on our line going forward.

Also Alohi Gilman is a revelation. When is the last time we have safety play that good??
                                                                                                    I think they did very good for what they were going up against, I don't think it would have been all the much different if we had the line from last year

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X