2018 Record Prediction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Record Prediction

Haven't seen one yet and if I have missed it, well, time for a new one.

I can't help but think back to one of the most underappreciated rock songs when trying to predict this year...

California sunlight
    Sweet Calcutta rain
    Honolulu starbright
    The song remains the same

10-3 and the swirl remains....not bad enough to make a program overhaul but not good enough to feel like a top 5 program. ND wins a bowl game after going 9-3, but not really beating anyone of note during the year.

Votes are public
    14-0 Smoke'em if you got em
    5.30%
    13-1
    3.97%
    12-1
    3.31%
    11-2
    33.11%
    10-3
    27.81%
    9-4
    17.22%
    8-5
    7.28%
    7-6
    1.32%
    6-7
    0.00%
    Don't know, too drunk to remember
    0.66%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Ndaccountant; 08-13-2018, 07:25 AM.

8-5. I just don't see losing the top tackle and guard in the draft, and getting better. Let's hope I'm wrong.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm calling it now, kool-aid has been DRANK.

We make the playoffs, and lose to one of Clemson/Bama/UGA.

This defense is going to be legit. Clark Lea has the advantage of calling a defense for the first time with an impressively veteran cast, and he will only get better as the year goes on. Let's not forget he was Elko's #1 wingman for many years for a reason, and I'm sure he's paid very close attention to his style/strategy waiting for this opportunity for a long time. I'm excited for Coach Lea's tenure.

Wimbush will improve dramatically this year, as many second year starters do. He is throwing to so many impressive athletes, with size across the board, I see a lot of mismatches being exploited by Long/BK, especially in the red-zone, where Wimbush has already shined in his career. Offense will improve in Oct/Nov with Dex returning, and Jones/youngsters et al should keep the rushing attack balanced enough in September.

I'm not worried about the OL. We will digress slightly by replacing MM and Q, but anytime you have the #1 OL in the country, you are going to digress. We have recruited well there, and still have quality depth.

Growing pains should be expected offensively, especially week 1 against Michigan, but I expect an ugly win there, and they will gel as September moves along. I think we will be scary good by the time we roll into VT. If we escape Blacksburg 1 or less losses on the schedule, the playoff hype should be real.
      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

I think we lose 1 or 2 games, I don't think we will beat USC this year just a gut feeling

Comment

Sticking with 9.5 - 2.5.

Comment

8-4 regular season with a meaningless bowl game win to go 9-4.

Losses to Michigan, VT, Northwestern, and USC

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Em View Post

This ☝️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Damn that feels real.

Comment

Half the posters in this thread think Kelly is getting fired.

Comment

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Coaching search is on in this scenario, IMO.
                    My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

Either 9-3 plus a bowl loss or 8-4 with a bowl win. Don't see more than 2 wins between USC, Michigan, Stanford, and Virginia Tech. Think we lose another game between Northwestern and Florida State. Things could get really bad if Michigan smokes us.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                        Half the posters in this thread want Kelly to get fired.
                        FIFY

Comment

I've been waiting for this thread to start, that way I can see who the real babies are in here.

11-2 (or better).

Comment

Half the posters in this thread think Kelly is getting fired.
                            Half the posters will think Kelly is getting fired if they go 11-1

Comment

13-1. The "echoes" will be awoken. I believe in Wimbush. Source... my gut

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                I've been waiting for this thread to start, that way I can see who the real babies are in here.

11-2 (or better).
                                ACamp will be rolling out of his crib anytime now and will throw down a 6-6 before he even changes his diaper.

Comment

I see 9-4 with a bowl win. Losses to USC, Stanford, Michigan, and FSU. If the QB play is better than last year, I see 11 wins.
                                  2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by The Polish Irishman View Post
                                    I see 9-4 with a bowl win. Losses to USC, Stanford, Michigan, and FSU. If the QB play is better than last year, I see 11 wins.
                                    That will usher in the Joe Moorhead of Jeff Brohm era because Kelly gets fired for those 3 home losses and deservedly so.

But Mike Elston winning the Pinstripe Bowl over Iowa or Nebraska was a nice touch.

Comment

10-3. Regular season 9-3 with a bowl W for 10. I think the defense will be very good and should keep us in all games. Partly because of this, whether its Wimbush or Book we can win 10. If it’s an improved Wimbush, the W’s could be higher.

Comment

I think we lose two regular season games, just miss the playoffs and look good in a top tier bowl win. Our defense is too good and offense more than adequate to be a Top 10 team.

Comment

10-3, 9-3 regular season. I dislike preseason predictions that ask me to decide who wins a bowl game where I don't even know who we're playing. 9-3 ND could be playing anyone from a down-year Alabama to a streaking Iowa State.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

13-1

run the table in the season....win 1st playoff game....lose championship game

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                              10-3. Regular season 9-3 with a bowl W for 10. I think the defense will be very good and should keep us in all games. Partly because of this, whether its Wimbush or Book we can win 10. If its an improved Wimbush, the Ws could be higher.
                                              I am with you on this. The defense will be pretty good if they can remain relatively healthy. With our schedule, there isn't one team that I look at and think ND will have to play flawlessly to keep under 28 points. So in reality, the offense doesn't need to get to 40 points per game to win 10. I think the offense will be up and down enough to lose 2/3 in the regular season.

Comment

:)
                                                I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

I am all in on this being a lot like 2012...a defense that is going to be a lot of fun to watch and will lead this team to some victories we might not fully deserve...a QB situation that has an athletic, dynamic, yet flawed starter that can be relieved by a technical gamer when necessary...solid depth that will help our special team's group be better than usual...

Playoffs or bust!!!

Comment

10-2, with a close loss to either Stanford or VT and then a soul-killing, playoff-thwarting defeat to end the season at USC. Top ten defense, good-enough offense, but not quite the weapons to keep up with late-season USC.

We make an NY6 bowl, but Michigan and FSU have down years so “we didn’t beat anyone.” There’s renewed grumbling that BK can’t get us to the next level. So he jumps (before the bowl game) to be the next head coach at Michigan, and leads them to the 2020 national championship, while we whiff on our top three coaching choices, hire PJ Fleck and spend the next decade wandering the wilderness again.

Enjoy it now, guys.

Comment

9-3 regular season with a win over Okla St in a bowl game. Back to back 10 wins seasons is a success for most any program. It isn't as easy as one thinks and serves as a great catalyst in to the following season where a preseason top five ranking and playoff aspirations await the Irish.

Comment

9-3.

Competitive team that drops three close games playing a seemingly difficult schedule. The last five games are just brutal with respect to travel - San Diego to play Navy, IL to play NW, at home against FSU, Syracuse at Yankee Stadium and then back to CA to play USC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                          9-3.

Competitive team that drops three close games playing a seemingly difficult schedule. The last five games are just brutal with respect to travel - San Diego to play Navy, IL to play NW, at home against FSU, Syracuse at Yankee Stadium and then back to CA to play USC.
                                                          In a vacuum those teams don't have me worried, but the travel is the key. I doubt there will be a team in the country that travels that much over the same 5 weeks.

Comment

Sticking with 9.5 - 2.5.
                                                            Fudging is for wimps.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                              In a vacuum those teams don't have me worried, but the travel is the key. I doubt there will be a team in the country that travels that much over the same 5 weeks.
                                                              Navy plays in SanDiego, in cincy, at UCF, home and then at tulane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                Navy plays in SanDiego, in cincy, at UCF, home and then at tulane.
                                                                Damn, that's no joke. Good to know.

Comment

A disappointing 11-2 with a loss to Northwestern

Comment

I think Wimbush will end up being basically the same Wimbush that we got last year... a dynamic threat running the ball, but inconsistent with his accuracy. The fact that he's in his second year starting gives him just enough extra control to get us back to 10 wins despite the losses of two generational OL and a realllllly good RB, and a schedule that's loaded with trap games.

If he somehow completes 55% of his passes over the course of the season consistently, without going from valley-to-peak, the team can win 11.

If he stays healthy and somehow floats closer to 60% passing, they can win 12 and will be in the playoff.

Right now, I expect to see an entertaining but frustrating 9-3 regular season, followed by a bowl win.

Comment

If Wimbush takes a step forward, it's playoffs or bust.

I believe he will.
                                                                      My hero, the one, the only, Brian Scalabrine

Comment

I think we're a 9-4 team because I just don't see the OL being that good this year, and I don't think we've got "elite" talent anywhere. I think the only way the team gets to 10+ wins is if the defense is truly a top 10 caliber unit and Wimbush turns into a gamebreaker. If both those happen, I think we've got a really good shot at the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                          I think we're a 9-4 team because I just don't see the OL being that good this year, and I don't think we've got "elite" talent anywhere. I think the only way the team gets to 10+ wins is if the defense is truly a top 10 caliber unit and Wimbush turns into a gamebreaker. If both those happen, I think we've got a really good shot at the playoffs.
                                                                          I won't say they won't be good but I'm right there with you. Wimbush broke down early/took off running with a best OL in college football last year. This year, there will be legitimate pressures and I'm afraid he'll develop a case of the yips.

This is why my money has been on Book this season. I hope Wimbush makes massive leaps and wins the Heisman and gives us a natty but I hope the same for Book or whoever plays QB for us.

I still have hope our OL will be top 10 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                            Corners may be an exception here. Love was 2nd team AA, Pride Jr is playing at a high level and Crawford is a play maker in the nickel if he can stay healthy.

Tight end is loaded but not much production to show for it as of now. Still, Alize was top recruit in country at TE and is uniquely physically gifted. Wright and Kmet were top three recruits and look like they're going to be studs. They need to prove it on the field, but it's there.

Don't disagree with your prediction, though.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                                                              Either 9-3 plus a bowl loss or 8-4 with a bowl win. Don't see more than 2 wins between USC, Michigan, Stanford, and Virginia Tech. Think we lose another game between Northwestern and Florida State. Things could get really bad if Michigan smokes us.
                                                                              ND wont get blown out by Michigan lmao
                                                                              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• #40

Im with you.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by fitz_bu47 View Post
                                                                                  If Wimbush takes a step forward, it's playoffs or bust.

I believe he will.
                                                                                  With the loss of two of the best OL in the nation & question marks at RB combined w/ Wimbushs struggles w/ swing passes, Id love to see an offense similar to what we saw in 2005 where Wimbush can throw it up to a bunch of 64-65 guys, RB out of the backfield (minus swing pass) or use his legs (which wasnt a luxury in 05). Just my two cents.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    All I know is more than one person unsarcastically predicted a loss to NW. Im flaccid now.....

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Surprised to see all the 10-3 and 11-2 predictions!

Going with 10-3

Losses to VT and USC, followed by a bowl loss to
                                                                                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I think we fade at the very end of the season with a loss to USC and a loss to Georgia in a bowl game...11-2. Everyone heads off to therapy and marriage counselling after the season because of the build-up/let-down.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          9-4 as I dont see Wimbush taking the jump we need to be a playoff team. If he does, could be a special season though.
                                                                                          Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Not a huge believer in Wimbush. 8-5 and be pleasantly surprised with 9-4.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              eight-fiddy

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by DogDaysIrish View Post
                                                                                                Not a huge believer in Wimbush. 8-5 and be pleasantly surprised with 9-4.
                                                                                                "pleasantly surprised with 9-4"
                                                                                                Lmfao.

Go back to ND Nation, asshole.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                                                                  "pleasantly surprised with 9-4"
                                                                                                  Lmfao.

Go back to ND Nation, asshole.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                                                                                  To be fair, any Browns fan would be pleasantly surprised with a winning record.

Trust me, I would know.
                                                                                                  "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    The poll needs a few more options....
                                                                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X