Notre Dame

Coaching Bio:

2017 .......... Notre Dame .......... LB
    2016 .......... Wake Forest .......... LB
    2013-15 ..... Syracuse ................ LB
    2012 .......... Bowling Green ........ LB
    2009-11 ..... UCLA ..................... LB
    2007-08 ..... South Dakota St ..... LB / Recruiting Coordinator
    2005-06 ..... UCLA ..................... GA (DL - LB)
    2005 .......... Vanderbilt .............. GA

Playing Bio:

2002-04 ..... Vandy Football (Fullback)
    ------------------ All-SEC Academic Team 03-04.
    ------------------ Finalist for the 2005 John Wooden Cup.
    2002 .......... Belmont Baseball
    2001 .......... Birmingham Southern Baseball ..... NAIA World Series Champion

Attended Montgomery-Bell Academy in Nashville. Same HS as Alex Bars. HS & college teammate of former Chicago Bears LB, Hunter Hillenmeyer

Wake Forest Bio:

Clark Lea joined the Wake Forest coaching staff as the linebackers coach in 2016. Lea was most recently the linebacker coach at Syracuse.
    Lea spent three seasons with the Orange following a one-year stint with head coach Dave Clawson at Bowling Green State University in 2012. There, Lea worked with defensive coordinator Mike Elko to assemble a unit that ranked seventh in the nation in pass defense, ninth in scoring defense and sixth nationally in third-down defense while leading the Mid-American Conference in nine statistical categories.

Lea was a finalist for Linebackers Coach of the Year by FootballScoop.com in 2012.

He is a 2004 graduate of Vanderbilt where he earned three letters in football and was a two-time All-SEC Academic Team pick. In 2005 he was a finalist for the John Wooden Cup and the recipient of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Award.

Following his graduation from Vanderbilt, he became a graduate assistant at UCLA in 2005-06 before moving to South Dakota State for two seasons in 2007. He returned to UCLA in 2009 to coach linebackers before taking the same position at Bowling Green in 2012.

Lea began his college career at Birmingham-Southern College where he was a member of the baseball team that captured the NAIA World Series title in 2001. He lettered in baseball at Belmont in 2002 before moving to Vanderbilt.

Lea and his wife Allison have a son, Clark III and a daughter, Mara.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Notre Dame expected to hire Wake Forest's Clark Lea as linebackers coach. <a href="https://t.co/WiORaIHzU2">https://t.co/WiORaIHzU2</a></p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel/status/818461585530376193">January 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Some ISD members were bringing up that he has experience recruiting Georgia. That'd be nice

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
      Some ISD members were bringing up that he has experience recruiting Georgia. That'd be nice
      Maybe he can improve on the staff's 1-77 performance in GA since Rochell Rochell?

...and yes, the one player they got was a punter.

Comment

Here are the Top 3 LB's Lea and Elko had coming in. In case Simmons or Brooks don't work out like expected.

Chase Monroe - ..... #21 ILB ..... 87 - 247 ..... WVU, Miss St, UK, Illini, Temple
        DJ Taylor - ............. #42 OLB .... 87 - 247 ..... Vandy, Pudue, Navy, Army
        Jeffery Burley - ...... #48 ILB ..... 84 - 247 ..... Ole Miss, Miss St, Louisville, Wisco

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/2120903/5806fa62688ec35714a13668' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/2946729/57c1bc340f1a5452ecdb245e' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3188617/5828c9f34ba87714a865b539' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

There must be something in the water at Wake drastically aging these guys. This dude is only 35 years old and looks like my dad.
          Originally posted by koonja
          I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
            There must be something in the water at Wake drastically aging these guys. This dude is only 35 years old and looks like my dad.
            Have you seen the offensive output from wake forest over the years? Lol

Comment

What the hell kind of team is this DJ Taylor kid playing against at the 1:23 mark. Look at little #10 running after him like Taylor just took his tricycle.
              Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

Originally posted by irishnd31 View Post
                What the hell kind of team is this DJ Taylor kid playing against at the 1:23 mark. Look at little #10 running after him like Taylor just took his tricycle.
                lol its like a Freshman squad defense
                What did Davonte do?

Comment

LOL.

I was just waiting on the responses of him running away from the two midgets at 1:30 and the next two plays where he commits child abuse by trucking the shorties. That's rural, 1A football at it's finest. No wonder he ran for 2200 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                    LOL.

I was just waiting on the responses of him running away from the two midgets at 1:30 and the next two plays where he commits child abuse by trucking the shorties. That's rural, 1A football at it's finest. No wonder he ran for 2200 yds.
                    it reminded me of those SB nation Madden videos where they put 99 OVR Beats vs Team's of Midget defenders

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/1/8/749...rushing-record
                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

LOL.

Found number 10's Bio pic with no stats. Looks meaner than a dog shitting tacks.

Comment

LOL.

I can't believe he didn't run for 22,000.

Comment

Found number 10's Bio pic with no stats. Looks meaner than a dog shitting tacks.

Would not offer. Beer gut.

Comment

I can't believe he didn't run for 22,000.
                            Only played 8 games. Might be italics.

Comment

Would not offer. Beer gut.
                              LMAO. Agreed. Plus never liked a kid with one pad that covers the thigh, knee, shin, ankle and some of the shoe. Looks tacky. Act like you been there kid.

Comment

Is this guy all firmed up, ready to go?

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Clark Lea: Things I Know <a href="https://t.co/e9yL0pAXGb">https://t.co/e9yL0pAXGb</a></p>&mdash; John Heisler (@NDHeisler) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDHeisler/status/825481213364301824">January 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
                                  <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

************************************************** *******
                                  Jan. 28, 2017

My relationship with Mike Elko has been built over two stints working together --in between which we have shared a friendship and mutual respect – and I believe he’s perhaps the best defensive coordinator in the country. He’s not only a great football mind, but he also melds that with an ability to form relationships with young people--and the product on the field is the result of both these components. So the opportunity for me to continue to learn and grow with Mike was something that was exciting to me, especially considering the magnitude of the football program at Notre Dame.

Growing up, Notre Dame was actually my dream school. Unfortunately, I wasn’t quite good enough to make the cut, so I guess I wasn’t their dream player. But it’s certainly a once-in-a-lifetime experience to work here and represent Notre Dame. This program is unique in all that it encompasses--the history, the tradition and the program’s place in college football. Combine that with a degree that’s second to none. It’s just the kind of work environment you want to be in. However, ultimately my decision to come here hinged on one point and that was the ability to go to a place and compete for a national championship. As a competitor, what more could you ask for? There are a lot of things that made this a great fit for me, but as a competitor that aspect made it really easy.

My baseball experience was valuable to me --those coaches helped me tremendously (he played at Birmingham-Southern and Belmont). I think I always had the football bone in my body even as a baseball player. Sometimes I approached the game as if it were football, which usually led to poor results because the skill set is not quite the same. But even when I was playing baseball, I used to think about coaching football. There’s just no other sport that pushes you to your limits physically, mentally and emotionally the way that football does. The lessons and values inherent in football and the way you go through the process of building yourself as a player make the game so special. I’m a different person, a better version of myself today because of my football experience.

Notre Dame went to Vanderbilt to play in 1996. My dad went to Vandy, as did my uncle, so they were horrified when I wore my Notre Dame T-shirt to the game. My first time being on campus at Notre Dame was in 1995, when Vandy travelled to South Bend to play. It’s easy to fall in love with all that’s involved with game day at Notre Dame. In 2006 I was part of the UCLA program that came here and lost a heartbreaker on a last-second pass (Brady Quinn to Jeff Samardzija). So I was able to get here a couple of times prior, once professionally. I have a great respect for the place. When I was at Bowling Green, it was our one-year wedding anniversary. My wife was eight months pregnant, and we decided to drive from Bowling Green to Chicago. Along the way we pulled off just to look at the Notre Dame campus. It’s one of those places that gets you off the highway.

I am incredibly indebted to (Wake Forest head coach) Dave Clawson. He has really shaped me as a coach, as a thinker and as a processor more than anyone I’ve been with. It’s his systematic approach to building a program. There’s a focus on discipline--there’s something really powerful that he harnesses and applies in his process. He demands a lot of his coaches as well. Two times in my career I’ve been on a staff that was let go, and that’s a scary thing--both times he’s pulled me off the couch and given me an opportunity and a chance to grow and thrive as a coach. Chuck Bullough trained me as a linebacker coach. I cut my teeth under Chuck, and he believed in me enough to bring me back to UCLA when I was a very young coach. He also gave me an opportunity to work at Syracuse University. John Stiegelmeier is the head coach at South Dakota State--he gave me my first full-time job as a linebacker coach, which also led to me meeting my wife. Coach Stig has quietly built one of the premier programs in the FCS, and he has done it by being detailed, organized and demanding, while also treating his players with great respect. I learned a lot from Coach Stig about how to treat players, how to effectively communicate with players. We did not use profanity on the field at South Dakota State--you had to coach, teach and engage your kids every day. That left a lasting impact on me. Scott Shafer is another coach who has shaped me. I worked for him for three years at Syracuse and learned a lot about defensive football from him. He has a progression and believes it and sells it every day--he has been a powerful influence. Rick Neuheisel at UCLA--he taught me how to give a campus tour--one of the most relentless recruiters I’ve ever met. He’s another brilliant mind who gave me a chance at a young age and believed in me. Karl Dorrell got me started at UCLA when I was finished at Vanderbilt--I certainly would not be where I am now without that opportunity. Obviously I feel very fortunate and grateful to all the coaches that have helped me plot my course in this profession.

We’re coming in fresh, but we also need to embrace the program where it is. The standards are in place here at Notre Dame. We are focused forward--this is a talented team. Coach (Brian) Kelly has done some unbelievable things within the organization to grow leadership. These players are hungry to win. It’s a determined group. All you can ask for as a coach is to be with a group of men who are eager to be led and taught and grow through the process. So this is going to be a lot of fun for me to dig in, lock arms and make this team as good as we can make it.

I feel I owe it to these players to do my research so that I can give them my best from day one. I’ll watch a little tape of all of them and identify some things we can focus on improving as a starting point. That’s important. The start of the process of building trust involves being consistent and setting expectations, but also opening up a dialogue that leads to their improvement as players. When you do that you earn respect as a coach, and it allows for you to have influence in other areas of their lives outside of football. So I’ll want to watch a little film on each guy so I can know where we are starting and construct a vision for where we need to go. The cool thing is that anytime there’s something new it’s exciting, so I am eager to get to work. I am anxious because we do not have a ton of time, and there is a lot to get accomplished. The system must be installed and the players need to have a clear understanding of their responsibilities so we can go into the summer and really build toward the season. Mike (Elko) does a great job of structuring things to make this process efficient and effective, and I’m excited to be a part of building this system from the ground up--I’ve never had the chance to do that.

--Edited by John Heisler, senior associate athletics director
                                  ************************************************** *******

Comment

Defensive Coordinator Search 2018

Bye Mike. Im already sick of seeing his thread on the front page, so heres a new one to discuss the DC search. Here are some of the realistic names that Ive seen floated:

- Clark Lea ND Linebackers coach
                                    - Mike Elston ND Defensive Line coach
                                    - Pete Kwiatowski Washington DC
                                    - Scottie Hazelton Wyoming DC
                                    - Kevin Kane Northern Illinois DC
                                    - Orlondo Steinauer Fresno State DC
                                    - Andy Avalos Boise State DC
                                    - Larry Johnson Ohio State DL coach
                                    - Anthony Campanile Boston College DB Coach

And some additional names Ill throw out there:

- Tracy Claeys Former HC at Minnesota and DC under Kill, was nominated for the Broyles in 2013 & 2014. The Gophers had some good defenses under his watch, but the cloud around his exit could mark him as too toxic for ND.
                                    - Jay Sawvel Current DC at Wake Forest. Previously the DC at Minnesota under Claeys and DB coach before that under Kill .The Gophers had a top 25 defense during his one year tenure as DC. The Deacons took a step back defensively this year, but I understand that at least in part that was a personnel issue with a solid DL, but weak back seven. WF folks seem to be optimistic with their defense going forward. Sawvel was a grad assistant at ND from 96-99 and has a Masters from ND. Has a reputation as a solid recruiter.
                                    - Chad Glasgow TCU DC. Gary Patterson 4-2-5 coaching tree.

I believe that ND will end up with a combination of Lea and Elston as co-DCs in the end. Hopefully Tillery and Coney will be inspired to stick around in that situation to help lead the team forward.

Comment

This is pretty much all I care about at this point.

Comment

Hello Larry. with a co-Lea
                                        Please
                                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Larry Johnson seems like a good bet, but I honestly dont know much about most of these names or assistants in general. I suspect BK returns to familiarity and goes with Elston.

Comment

Wyoming guy looks interesting. He turned them into a top ten D in one season. Coached for Polian at Nevada. Also has worked at USC and the NFL.

Comment

I would almost rather have them higher either Lea or someone from the outside, Larry Johnson would be a home run higher, I know he is a great DL coach and recruits rave about him but I just don't see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
                                                Wyoming guy looks interesting. He turned them into a top ten D in one season. Coached for Polian at Nevada. Also has worked at USC and the NFL.
                                                Im intrigued too. The 2018 roster could run the Tampa 2 effectively. My only question is his recruiting chops, though someone noted that hes credited with getting Ty Isaac to sign with USC.

Comment

Lots of talk this year how other teams were neg recruiting against pOSU and Larry Johnson and his age (he’s either 65or 66) telling recruits that he will likely retire before they graduate. Neg recruiting against him as a DC would be a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                    Lots of talk this year how other teams were neg recruiting against pOSU and Larry Johnson and his age (hes either 65or 66) telling recruits that he will likely retire before they graduate. Neg recruiting against him as a DC would be a lot worse.
                                                    Seemed to really hurt OSU recruiting too....
                                                    Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by ShawneeIrish View Post
                                                      Larry Johnson seems like a good bet, but I honestly dont know much about most of these names or assistants in general. I suspect BK returns to familiarity and goes with Elston.
                                                      Worst route possible short of hiring BD back

Comment

So now that everyone knows we lost Elko over a few hundred thousand, our guy needs to be satisfied with less than that or its pointless to have let Elko go.

I'd take Hazleton based on performance and experience. Dont think Johnson is a fit. I am afraid of losing Elston and Lea though as well if someone from outside is brought in.

Comment

Thinking Elston as the DC with Lea as the Co-DC. Promotion of both and continuity. Look for S position coach and move forward.
                                                          I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

Comment

I’m all in favor or co-dc and hiring a top notch safeties coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Fbolt View Post
                                                              Thinking Elston as the DC with Lea as the Co-DC. Promotion of both and continuity. Look for S position coach and move forward.
                                                              This - or maybe Hazelton - seem like best bets to me.
                                                              Doesn't seem like the guy from U-Dub is ever going to leave Petersen. We need a hustler on the trail and I'd Johnson's too old for that. Sawvel seems like an interesting idea, I guess. Think we could snag Don Brown from Michigan?

Comment

Anyone know if the Elko 4-2-5 is run like Gary Patterson’s, splitting the DL/LB play calling from the DBs? If so, and presuming a Lea / Elston co-DC situation would keep the same scheme, who takes over the DB play calling?

Comment

Tom Bradley is available. I dont think he is getting a coordinators job at this point, so maybe he would come as a position coach.

I'd go after Hazelton as DC. I cant imagine he is making much at Wyoming.

Comment

Has to be Lea..

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                                                                      So now that everyone knows we lost Elko over a few hundred thousand, our guy needs to be satisfied with less than that or its pointless to have let Elko go.

I'd take Hazleton based on performance and experience. Dont think Johnson is a fit. I am afraid of losing Elston and Lea though as well if someone from outside is brought in.
                                                                      Let's drop that from the airing of grievances. They lost Elko over the difference in what they would have paid and what A&M would have paid, not did pay. A&M stopped at $2.5M for Aranda, where were they gonna top out at on Elko?

Comment

Let's drop that from the airing of grievances. They lost Elko over the difference in what they would have paid and what A&M would have paid, not did pay. A&M stopped at $2.5M for Aranda, where were they gonna top out at on Elko?
                                                                        Ok its tertiary to my main point anyway. I am not even aggrieved. Its the nature of the business. "Fuck you pay me". Point is Its public record now what ND's ceiling is for DC. If they go and hire someone for more money then it was pointless and very very stupid not to keep Elko by paying him more.

Comment

Sounds like Elko and his agent screwed up, they could've gotten another $500,000 per year if they would've kept saying no, cause A & M just kept upping their offer.

Comment

Ok its tertiary to my main point anyway. I am not even aggrieved. Its the nature of the business. "Fuck you pay me". Point is Its public record now what ND's ceiling is for DC. If they go and hire someone for more money then it was pointless and very very stupid not to keep Elko by paying him more.
                                                                            If ND had offered $1.81M/yr to Elko, would that actually be the ceiling? No. The Aggies are desperate, and desperate people will give anything. The point Ol' Crus is making is that Elko was playing both sides off each other, and the Aggies would always be willing to drop more cash, just to win. I hope Elko likes being below a damn dog on the totem pole down in College Station, but he'll know soon enough how bad of a mistake saying "yes" to desperate people can be.

Comment

• #41
                                                                              If ND had offered $1.81M/yr to Elko, would that actually be the ceiling? No. The Aggies are desperate, and desperate people will give anything. The point Ol' Crus is making is that Elko was playing both sides off each other, and the Aggies would always be willing to drop more cash, just to win. I hope Elko likes being below a damn dog on the totem pole down in College Station, but he'll know soon enough how bad of a mistake saying "yes" to desperate people can be.
                                                                              Do we know that though? Do we know that ND would have gotten into a bidding war if that is what is being claimed? No they said 1.8 is too much to keep Elko regardless. That is clear evidence that they wont pay that much. They have never paid that much. They are not going to do that even though Elko was a great hire. If they hire someone else now for more konwy, it seems stupid to have not countering for Elko.

I am unaware if its true Elko was trying to play a bidding war or if he was unhappy in SB so I am not acknowledging that as it would be a very serious accusation for a man who worked for the same head coach for over a decade. What is clear is that ND wasnt willing to to the few extra yards to retain him.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                I think they should just promote Lea for continuity. Replacing two good coaches on that side of the ball and bringing in another new scheme (3rd in 3 years) is asking for Tillery and Coney to leave for sure, and even Tranquill to change his mind.

I think any outside hire is asking for trouble.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                  Do we know that though? Do we know that ND would have gotten into a bidding war if that is what is being claimed? No they said 1.8 is too much to keep Elko regardless. That is clear evidence that they wont pay that much. They have never paid that much. They are not going to do that even though Elko was a great hire. If they hire someone else now for more konwy, it seems stupid to have not countering for Elko.

I am unaware if its true Elko was trying to play a bidding war or if he was unhappy in SB so I am not acknowledging that as it would be a very serious accusation for a man who worked for the same head coach for over a decade. What is clear is that ND wasnt willing to to the few extra yards to retain him.
                                                                                  Per ISD via Lax in the Elko thread, it sounds like a bidding war had begun, as Elko came back asking for another bump after the Aggies countered, beating the initial raise. That sounds like a bidding war to me, and Jack refused to play.

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                  I think they should just promote Lea for continuity. Replacing two good coaches on that side of the ball and bringing in another new scheme (3rd in 3 years) is asking for Tillery and Coney to leave for sure, and even Tranquill to change his mind.

Yeah I'm with this one. I wonder if Jack can take the money saved from promoting Lea and go balls to the wall for an elite DB coach

Comment

• #44
                                                                                    Per ISD via Lax in the Elko thread, it sounds like a bidding war had begun, as Elko came back asking for another bump after the Aggies countered, beating the initial raise. That sounds like a bidding war to me, and Jack refused to play.

Yeah I'm with this one. I wonder if Jack can take the money saved from promoting Lea and go balls to the wall for an elite DB coach
                                                                                    jimmy lake

don't know if this is accurate but :WASHINGTON HUSKIES
                                                                                    Salary: $375,000
                                                                                    EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• #45
                                                                                      Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                      jimmy lake

Pretty sure Ol' Crus loves that guy, but Lake was most recently seen negging ND to Kyler Gordon. Would he even come?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                        Pretty sure Ol' Crus loves that guy, but Lake was most recently seen negging ND to Kyler Gordon. Would he even come?
                                                                                        Negging is part of the job. Doesnt mean you hate the school you are negging. Means you are trying to improve your team with the players you want. Dont think ND nor anyone else doesnt do it

Comment

• #47
                                                                                          Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

I'm with you, retain Lea and look at DB coaches, maybe Demetrice Martin who got left out of the shuffle at UCLA?

Comment

• #48
                                                                                            Originally posted by Armyirish47 View Post
                                                                                            I'm with you, retain Lea and look at DB coaches, maybe Demetrice Martin who got left out of the shuffle at UCLA?
                                                                                            he's been great at recruiting but with what tactics? idk
                                                                                            EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• #49
                                                                                              Bob Stoops is available

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                                jimmy lake

Hes currently a co-DC though. A Lea/Lake combo at DC would likely entail Elston looking for greener pastures. Fair enough. Whose scheme do they run? Does ND have the pieces for a Washington style 3-4?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                Working...
                                                                                                X