18) Virginia Tech
    19) Kansas State
    20) Washington State
    21) South Florida
    22) Florida
    23) TCU
    24) Notre Dame
    25) Tennessee
    Last edited by clashmore_mike; 11-05-2017, 02:10 PM.

Good to see, although it's show me week. One way it could matter if we win, is how much we move up.

Much easier to justify moving a team way up in the rankings if they were ranked coming in, rather than shooting them up the rankings from 'unranked'. This might give us a 2-3 spot bump if we beat Georgia, rather than if we beat Georgia unranked.

Comment

Yawn. Wake me up November 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by koonja View Post
        Good to see, although it's show me week. One way it could matter if we win, is how much we move up.

Much easier to justify moving a team way up in the rankings if they were ranked coming in, rather than shooting them up the rankings from 'unranked'. This might give us a 2-3 spot bump if we beat Georgia, rather than if we beat Georgia unranked.
        I think we get to #15 with a win.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
          Yawn. Wake me up November 1st.
          Yuuuuuuup

Comment

This is just to benefit the media selling it as a "top 25 matchup in prime time"

Comment

I'm surprised Florida only dropped 5 spots.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                This is just to benefit the media selling it as a "top 25 matchup in prime time"
                Agreed. By the media, for the media.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                  I think we get to #15 with a win.
                  Man even I'd be mad if that happened. That's a huge jump.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                    The power of the SEC. Pendulum swings both ways...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                      The power of the SEC. Pendulum swings both ways...
                      More realistic: We move up one spot and Georgia moves down to one above us. Justification: Well the Irish did win, but did so at home against a Frosh making his first start. Just not as much of a quality win as could have been.

Comment

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                        If we beat Georgia, unless it's on a whim or dumb luck, we're a ~15th ranked team.

It's early in the year - rankings shift drastically the first few weeks. If this happened week 9 it'd be weird. Not in week 2.

Comment

If we beat Georgia, unless it's on a whim or dumb luck, we're a ~15th ranked team.

It's early in the year - rankings shift drastically the first few weeks. If this happened week 9 it'd be weird. Not in week 2.
                          #13 and #14 are road underdogs this week as well which helps.

Comment

I think our ranking is about right for us. No doubt a little has to do with the media and this week's match up with Georgia . If we beat Georgia I honestly don't see us being 15, but more in the 18, 19, 20 range. Rankings this early don't mean much to me but it is nice getting the year off to a positive start.

Comment

4 B1G in Top 10 gimme a break...

Comment

Originally posted by ND NYC View Post
                                Wisconsin ranked too high as always. There's no chance I'd put them above LSU

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                  I'm surprised Florida only dropped 5 spots.
                                  One for every offensive yard they gained. Yeah, seriously. Only 5 spots? They looked abysmal.
                                  Any other man stops and talks, but the walking man walks

Comment

Such bullshit. At this point in the season, half the teams are 1-0 and half the teams are 0-1. There is zero reason why any 0-1 team should be ranked. Let them earn their way back in with actual victories.

Edit to expand on the above: What the ranking tells us is that losing to Alabama is more valuable than whupping on Temple or Tulsa or BYU. It's complete nonsense. If, in theory, Notre Dame and Florida State were to play the exact same schedule from here on out and win by the same margins of victory, FSU would end the season at 11-1 and ranked ahead of 12-0 ND.
                                    Last edited by wizards8507; 09-05-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

No one should be ranked until after week 4, but everyone loves a ranking so this is how it is.

Comment

No one should be ranked until after week 4, but everyone loves a ranking so this is how it is.
                                        I'm okay with everything except the preseason poll. The poll applies to the 2017 football season and shouldn't contain information from outside that season.

Comment

Noise.

Comment

Agree with Lax. The current ranking is window dressing to help trump up a big intersectional night game. I doubt anyone who votes is too worried about where to put ND if they win.

Hopefully we give them all a nice big shit burger to eat come Sunday morning:

Comment

First poll should come out around week 4. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                I'm okay with everything except the preseason poll. The poll applies to the 2017 football season and shouldn't contain information from outside that season.
                                                It is a way for the journalists, recruiting analyst, sports networks, etc... to exert their influence on the season and the game itself. It bolsters their role and legitimizes their desire to be close (fanboy) to the game. Then, sometimes it represents a consensus of their opinions. In best of all worlds, if trying to be fair, first poll would come out after week 4. $.02
                                                Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbar View Post
                                                  It is a way for the journalists, recruiting analyst, sports networks, etc... to exert their influence on the season and the game itself. It bolsters their role and legitimizes their desire to be close (fanboy) to the game. Then, sometimes it represents a consensus of their opinions. In best of all worlds, if trying to be fair, first poll would come out after week 4. $.02

I'd like to think the bigger reason is it's a way for them to justify having jobs. It's definitely effective though. Preseason and early polls are meaningless, but they get clicks and people talking.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                                    I'd like to think the bigger reason is it's a way for them to justify having jobs. It's definitely effective though. Preseason and early polls are meaningless, but they get clicks and people talking.
                                                    Haha. Yeah that too!
                                                    Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

I saw a lot of crappy football played this weekend by some teams on this list. Just keep winning and the polls take care of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ND NYC View Post
                                                        Obligatory

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WO-QTJer3vU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

I would rank this comment in the bottom third of all Koon comments.

#17,655

Comment

I'll take a ranked team everyday and twice on Sunday.

This team has to believe to be special.

Let's go fellas.

Comment

Such bullshit. At this point in the season, half the teams are 1-0 and half the teams are 0-1. There is zero reason why any 0-1 team should be ranked. Let them earn their way back in with actual victories.

Edit to expand on the above: What the ranking tells us is that losing to Alabama is more valuable than whupping on Temple or Tulsa or BYU. It's complete nonsense. If, in theory, Notre Dame and Florida State were to play the exact same schedule from here on out and win by the same margins of victory, FSU would end the season at 11-1 and ranked ahead of 12-0 ND.
                                                              FSU should not be penalized for challenging themselves OOC. IMO it would be "complete nonsense" to disregard how a team looked or who they played against and drop them 20+ spots. Maybe they'll struggle without Francois, but they clearly looked like a top 25 team.

Florida, on the other hand, looked like trash and should be nowhere near the top 25.

Comment

Polls are used more to SHAPE public opinion more than anything else these days.

Comment

This is an exercise in futility...but its what we got. If ND were to actually beat GA, I think there is a 4-6 place bump. If GA were to actually beat ND...3-5 place bump maybe. GA wasn't shit last year (neither was ND), so neither should benefit a bunch from beating the other...if it were week 6...and both programs shed the hangover from last year...maybe. Both stand to lose a bunch for losing though, IMHO.
                                                                  One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

I think the bump will depend on the score. Blowout15 tight win 19. Loss out of it (for now).

Comment

BYU is going to suffer this year, and probably for the years to come to be honest. Not just saying that because I dislike them more than the average fan, but because they are in a bad position right now.

I dont think that sitake is a very good coach, BYU doesn't fire coaches like ever and this seems to be his dream job so i highly doubt that he will leave anytime soon. They get all their talent from the islands and local Talent from Utah which is very far rom elite (and most the elite talent goes elsewhere anyways.) The 2 year mission puts dampers on things as well so i highly doubt they will ever be competitive. They will win games against the lower teams that they schedule (like Portland last week) but will lose to any team that is even remotely decent.

LSU was impressive, but I really don't think that BYU was much of a measuring stick if that makes any sense. So I'm holding off on the hype train for now. I expect Utah to blow BYU out this week big time.

Comment

Originally posted by DONTH8 View Post
                                                                        BYU is going to suffer this year, and probably for the years to come to be honest. Not just saying that because I dislike them more than the average fan, but because they are in a bad position right now.

I dont think that sitake is a very good coach, BYU doesn't fire coaches like ever and this seems to be his dream job so i highly doubt that he will leave anytime soon. They get all their talent from the islands and local Talent from Utah which is very far rom elite (and most the elite talent goes elsewhere anyways.) The 2 year mission puts dampers on things as well so i highly doubt they will ever be competitive. They will win games against the lower teams that they schedule (like Portland last week) but will lose to any team that is even remotely decent.

LSU was impressive, but I really don't think that BYU was much of a measuring stick if that makes any sense. So I'm holding off on the hype train for now. I expect Utah to blow BYU out this week big time.
                                                                        Utah better clean their shit up. They let North Dakota hang around a bit. When ND St played NoDak a couple years ago...NoDak didn't have a single yard of offense in the 1st half. Literally 0. No joke. They suck. Big league bad.

Utah will win by 40 now since i expressed doubt.
                                                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                                                          FSU should not be penalized for challenging themselves OOC. IMO it would be "complete nonsense" to disregard how a team looked or who they played against and drop them 20+ spots. Maybe they'll struggle without Francois, but they clearly looked like a top 25 team.

Florida, on the other hand, looked like trash and should be nowhere near the top 25.
                                                                          My point is that it shouldn't matter how many spots they're "dropping" because thinking in that context presupposes that the preseason rankings were legitimate and correct in the first place. It's as simple as this: which teams have had the best 2017 season so far? FSU is not one of those teams.

Comment

How did we move further away from #25?

Comment

• #39
                                                                              LSU still #25. Lol

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by KPENN View Post
                                                                                LSU still #25. Lol
                                                                                You would think a 1 point loss to a top 15 Georgia team would be worth more than getting blow the fuck out by an unranked Mississippi State team but what do I know.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Yeah it's the SEC bias i'm predicting two games this weekend I think MISS St beats Georgia by 10 plus and I think Purdue upsets Michigan, does anyone know where college gameday is going? there aren't two ranked teams playing each other

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                                                                                    Yeah it's the SEC bias i'm predicting two games this weekend I think MISS St beats Georgia by 10 plus and I think Purdue upsets Michigan, does anyone know where college gameday is going? there aren't two ranked teams playing each other

They are going to New York City

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Mods should really change the title on a weekly basis to reflect ND's position.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I think Purdue upsets Michigan
                                                                                        That would be outstanding, just for spite.
                                                                                        2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          There's actually 2 games with ranked teams playing each other. TCU vs Oklahoma St and Miss St vs Georgia.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I think Purdue will beat Michigan as well IF Speight doesn't step it up.

Funny here in STL, radio was talking how Missouri was going to bounce back against Purdue, citing how much yardage they've given up vs. Louisville and Ohio. Uh yeah Mizzou you're the worst team out of the 4 in the discussion lol.
                                                                                            “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                                                                                              Mods should really change the title on a weekly basis to reflect ND's position.
                                                                                              No reason to change it, its accurate where we will be at seasons end
                                                                                              #TeamKizer

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by STLDomer View Post

Funny here in STL, radio was talking how Missouri was going to bounce back against Purdue, citing how much yardage they've given up vs. Louisville and Ohio. Uh yeah Mizzou you're the worst team out of the 4 in the discussion lol.
                                                                                                you gotta quit listening to Bernie haha

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by STLDomer View Post

Mizzou blows... and they deserve to have to endure every second of it.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    LOL!!!! Florida State has yet to win, but remains in the top 25 in the coach's poll.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X