Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip Long - Offensive Coordinator

Welcome aboard Coach.

Is it a home run? I don't know. It allows BK to keep control of the O bringing in an OC with just one season of experience. I was expecting an OC/QB coach. This makes the next offensive hire interesting. You got Ron Powlus upstairs to help with QB's still, right?

Anyways, the one thing I think getting blown out of proportion here is Long being dubbed a great recruiter. I've looked over his record and it's ok. His biggest victory was keeping N'Keal Henry home for ASU vs SC but SC was down number one and secondly, I remember hearing he had personal reasons to stay in AZ, (family, girlfriend, baby, something)

QB Brady White was a better get. He pulled him out of a loaded Cali class where there was a surplus and all the PAC schools got a high 4 or 5 star QB. What now becomes interesting is Long's relationship with Brady's younger brother, Brevin. He's a solid 4 pro qb in the Class of '18 at Chaminade Catholic and ND was an early favorite for him. He's somewhere between #5 and #10 QB's in the country. A nice back up connection if anything happens with you know who from Pine-Richlands HS. Also, if I remember correctly... the White brothers' sister goes to ND.

He had a few other nice gets but it's not like guys who really rake. But having that ND on your chest instead of ASU or M gives you a different caliber bullet in a recruits living room.

I'll predict that Polian and Long will have no drop off on the West coast compared to Denbrock and Sanford. That's important too because ND has some traction in '18 in Cali and hopefully Long can do a better job in AZ. Phoenix metro football is for real and ND has really done a poor job here.

Last thing. I picked over the bones of the Memphis list and came up with one maybe. It's not as fun as picking over WF's list... not the same level of student athlete obviously. But came up with one WR that is along the lines of what we are looking at to fill out the class:

3 star Nick Robinson of OK. He's 6-3, 205. 247 rates him an 88 and the #63 WR in the country.

Nick Robinson, Putnam City West, Wide Receiver

He's still uncommitted and CB's favor Memphis over OU who probably won't have room for him.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6276523/582f25a8dfd8b811cc22b247' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

University of Memphis Athletics - Staff Directory

Chip Long is in his first season on the Memphis coaching staff in 2016 and serves as the program’s offensive coordinator and tight ends coach.

Long, widely considered one of the nation’s top recruiters, worked closely with Mike Norvell at Arizona State from 2012-15. During that time, the Sun Devils averaged 37 points a game, finished with consecutive 10-win seasons (2013, 2014) and won the 2013 Pac-12 South crown.

“Chip Long is, without a doubt, one of the brightest young offensive minds in the country,” Norvell said. “Coach Long and I have coached together the last four years at Arizona State, where Chip was our recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach.

“He’s going to direct an aggressive, ‘attack-style’ offense that will showcase our playmakers in every aspect of the game. He has been nationally recognized over the last four years as one of country’s top recruiters. Coach Long is originally from Birmingham, Alabama, and has great ties to the region. He has coached in the SEC, Big East, Big Ten, as well as the Pac-12 and is a dynamic addition to our staff. We are extremely excited about Chip and his wife, Karissa, joining us at the University of Memphis.”

During his career, Long has coached at Arizona State, Illinois, Arkansas and Louisville. Three times in his career, Long played an integral role in developing an offense that finished among the nation’s top-10 in scoring offense. Furthermore, a Long-associated offense was ranked among the nation’s top-20 in scoring offense in six of his 10 seasons as a collegiate coach. In four seasons at Arizona State, the Sun Devils scored 50 or more points in 14 games.

Long was recognized as one of the country’s top-25 recruiters by Rivals and 247Sports in 2015. From 2012-14, Rivals listed Long as one of the top recruiters in the Pac-12. He served as the lead recruiter for wide receiver Jaelen Strong, who earned 2014 ESPN All-America first team accolades and was a 2015 NFL Draft third-round selection by the Houston Texans.

Long also mentored All-SEC first team tight end D.J. Williams (Arkansas), All-Pac 12 first team tight end Chris Coyle (Arizona State) and All-America first team fullback Jay Prosch (Illinois).

At Arizona State, Long served as the tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator from 2012-15. He also coached the Sun Devils running backs in 2015. In his four seasons in Tempe, Ariz., the Sun Devils tallied a 34-19 record and earned two top-25 finishes in the national polls (2013: No. 21 AP/No. 20 coaches; 2014: No. 12 AP/No. 14 coaches). Long also was a part of major victories over Southern Cal (twice), UCLA (twice), Stanford, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Duke, Utah (three times) and Arizona (three times).

Prior to Arizona State, Long served as tight ends/fullbacks coach at Illinois under Ron Zook for two seasons (2010-11).

From 2008-09, Long coached the tight ends as an offensive graduate assistant under Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino. Long coached tight end D.J. Williams, who became the first Razorback to win the John Mackey Award. Williams was honored with the 2010 Mackey Award as the nation’s most outstanding tight end.

Before Arkansas, Long was a member of Petrino’s Louisville staff as an offensive graduate assistant from 2006-07. The 2006 Cardinals squad posted a 12-1 overall record and a 6-1 BIG EAST mark. Louisville won the BIG EAST title and earned a spot in the 2007 Orange Bowl, where it posted a 24-13 victory over No. 15 Wake Forest. The Cardinals were ranked No. 5 (AP)/No. 6 (coaches) in the final national polls.

Long earned his bachelor’s degree in history with minors in psychology and business administration from the University of North Alabama. Long, a wide receiver/tight end for the Lions from 2002-05, earned 2005 All-America first team and All-Gulf South Conference (GSC) first team honors. In 2010, Long was named to the GSC All-Decade Team at tight end.

Long and his wife, Kari, welcomed daughter Lyla in June of 2016.
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Solid choice. Strong recruiter as noted by both Rivals and 247. Grad asst. under Petrino at both Louisville and Arkansas so he learned offensive football from a great offensive mind. From Birmingham and worked out west so good contacts in different areas of country.

Comment

So not impressed. I'm guessing every OC with experience turned BK down?

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
          Welcome aboard Coach.

Is it a home run? I don't know. It allows BK to keep control of the O bringing in an OC with just one season of experience. I was expecting an OC/QB coach. This makes the next offensive hire interesting. You got Ron Powlus upstairs to help with QB's still, right?

Anyways, the one thing I think getting blown out of proportion here is Long being dubbed a great recruiter. I've looked over his record and it's ok. His biggest victory was keeping N'Keal Henry home for ASU vs SC but SC was down number one and secondly, I remember hearing he had personal reasons to stay in AZ, (family, girlfriend, baby, something)

QB Brady White was a better get. He pulled him out of a loaded Cali class where there was a surplus and all the PAC schools got a high 4 or 5 star QB. What now becomes interesting is Long's relationship with Brady's younger brother, Brevin. He's a solid 4 pro qb in the Class of '18 at Chaminade Catholic and ND was an early favorite for him. He's somewhere between #5 and #10 QB's in the country. A nice back up connection if anything happens with you know who from Pine-Richlands HS. Also, if I remember correctly... the White brothers' sister goes to ND.

He had a few other nice gets but it's not like guys who really rake. But having that ND on your chest instead of ASU or M gives you a different caliber bullet in a recruits living room.

I'll predict that Polian and Long will have no drop off on the West coast compared to Denbrock and Sanford. That's important too because ND has some traction in '18 in Cali and hopefully Long can do a better job in AZ. Phoenix metro football is for real and ND has really done a poor job here.

Last thing. I picked over the bones of the Memphis list and came up with one maybe. It's not as fun as picking over WF's list... not the same level of student athlete obviously. But came up with one WR that is along the lines of what we are looking at to fill out the class:

3 star Nick Robinson of OK. He's 6-3, 205. 247 rates him an 88 and the #63 WR in the country.

He's still uncommitted and CB's favor Memphis over OU who probably won't have room for him.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6276523/582f25a8dfd8b811cc22b247' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
          That kid looks slow af

Comment

I'm just happy he likes using the TE position.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman Ray View Post
              Never impressed with anything you post so I'm convinced it's a very good hire.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                That kid looks slow af
                After looking at the other sites and his Hudl bio, he's 6-4, 220-225. He's a combo like Alize Jones. He also plays DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                  I'm just happy he likes using the TE position.
                  He'll get over that sh!t quick.

Comment

You know Sanford had 1 year of OC experience when he came here right? Its not about getting the guy with 30 years experience.. I want the young hungry guy with a high football IQ

Comment

Welcome Coach Long. Looking forward to what you can accomplish with the Irish!

Go Irish!!!!!

Comment

38.8 avg pts/game.

Comment

I have no idea if either our D-coor or O-coor will be successful here at ND. It may be a little like playing for the Yankees and the lights are the brightest. But I am CONVINCED that some of you would not be happy unless Bill Walsh came back to coach the Offense, Bill Belicheck came to take over the D, and Adam Viniteri retired to coach our special teams. This guy has studied with some great offensive minds. Yes, I get that Brian Kelly must have killed some of you peoples' dogs, with the level of hate you spew for a guy most of you have never met (other than the dog thing), but if possible, maybe we could give a guy whose offenses averaged 38 points a game a chance???

Comment

After looking at the other sites and his Hudl bio, he's 6-4, 220-225. He's a combo like Alize Jones. He also plays DE.
                            That makes more sense. He definitely looks like a TE.

Comment

Originally posted by brewdog_14527 View Post
                              I have no idea if either our D-coor or O-coor will be successful here at ND. It may be a little like playing for the Yankees and the lights are the brightest. But I am CONVINCED that some of you would not be happy unless Bill Walsh came back to coach the Offense, Bill Belicheck came to take over the D, and Adam Viniteri retired to coach our special teams. This guy has studied with some great offensive minds. Yes, I get that Brian Kelly must have killed some of you peoples' dogs, with the level of hate you spew for a guy most of you have never met (other than the dog thing), but if possible, maybe we could give a guy whose offenses averaged 38 points a game a chance???
                              Who are these blasphemous names you pollute this thread with?

Ara and Lou still walk this earth. That is all.

Comment

Love this hire. Strong recruiter, young guy and really likes using TE position. Learned under Graham and Petrino two best offensive minds in the country. This hire is almost the same as Mike Sanford. And it's so much better then Al Borges

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                  Love this hire. Strong recruiter, young guy and really likes using TE position. Learned under Graham and Petrino two best offensive minds in the country. This hire is almost the same as Mike Sanford. And it's so much better then Al Borges
                                  Love how Petrino uses the TE in his offense. Against LSU tomorrow watch Cole Hikutini a three star JUCO player who Petrino recruited for his offense. Had 50 catches this year and always seemed to find the open spot in the defense.

Comment

Giving the quick timing of this hire, got to imagine that it was already in the works before Denbrock moved to Cinci...right? I think Denbrock did get pushed out, willingly or unwillingly, or wasn't wanting to share duties again so he went somewhere where he was the undisputed heavyweight OC.

I hope Long isn't coming in to exclusively run Kelly's offense. That would be a "meh" in my book, it would be a lot sexier to see a slight change in scheme to throw off opponents. On the other hand, with Kelly's job obviously on the line and with many fans/alumni ready to throw him to the wolves you have to figure he's going to be extra tight next year. I can't see him passively allowing all these new coaches to do their thing, I would think he'll probably make sure nothing is overlooked like the defense was at the start of last year. He may unfortunately want his thumbprint everywhere to try and ensure his stock rises again...to either keep his job or take that NFL option he reportedly wants.

Comment

With both Elko and Long having 3 year contracts, I've gotta believe that gives Kelly some extra job security. If you fire him after one year, how many top guys are you gonna have who want to come in and not be able to bring either of their coordinators with them?

Comment

What didn't ND ever hire Tom Clements???

Comment

Originally posted by House16 View Post
                                          With both Elko and Long having 3 year contracts, I've gotta believe that gives Kelly some extra job security. If you fire him after one year, how many top guys are you gonna have who want to come in and not be able to bring either of their coordinators with them?
                                          I'm going to assume these 3 year coordinator offers don't guarantee these guys 3 years of work. I mean, there's probably still some kind of buyout clause in their contracts, but it's going to be peanuts next to a HC's buyout. Either way those guys probably still get most or all of their money, whether they're there 3 years or not. If we do have to bring a new HC in, those guys probably get let go if they're not wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by gfviperman View Post
                                            Not this again. Can't we just retire this question?

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                              I'm going to assume these 3 year coordinator offers don't guarantee these guys 3 years of work. I mean, there's probably still some kind of buyout clause in their contracts, but it's going to be peanuts next to a HC's buyout. Either way those guys probably still get most or all of their money, whether they're there 3 years or not. If we do have to bring a new HC in, those guys probably get let go if they're not wanted.
                                              That would be good news, but are you sure? I remember a big part of Aranda's contract at LSU was that he wouldn't be shoved out the door if/when Miles got fired.

Comment

That would be good news, but are you sure? I remember a big part of Aranda's contract at LSU was that he wouldn't be shoved out the door if/when Miles got fired.
                                                The counterpont is Texas's Gilbert

Comment

Money is usually guaranteed with these kinds of contracts, but I don't think you can guarantee they'll have a job for all 3 years. In the end everyone can be fired, but there will be monetary ramifications. With coordinators you fortunately don't need to open the pocketbook quite as much.

Comment

You are an insufferable jerk!

Welcome aboard Coach.

http://<iframe src=&#39;//www.hudl.com/e...reen></iframe>

Good write up, reps when I'm at a computer.

What about the tackle Eze to round out a killer oline class? Lugg and Eze at tackles, Hainsey and Banks at guard (I know I said Banks is a tackle, but with addition of Eze he would have to move to guard) and Gibbons at center!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What has Tom Clements ever done? This staff needed a major recruiting upgrade as far as coaches go. I am not worried about BK producing offense ever at ND, the guy can coach that side. So why not bring in a young energetic guy who can relate to players and every single post I've read about this guy said he's a rockstar recruiter. We brought in Polian and Long so that already boosted our recruiting. Elko with BVG who knows how good recruiter Elko is but he's replacing nothing which makes him something. I think there will be one more coaching change and who knows after that. Sure you need guys who can coach but we need to be involved with more elite recruitments and do what we did in 2013. Winning helps but we need to be more involved. Of our 5* recruits we had to work for them no doubt but proximity helped with Daelin Hayes, Jaylon Smith, Jurkovec kind of. We need to be more involved with battles like we were with Vanderdoes, Redfield, Stephon Tuitt, Aaron Lynch's of the world and even some we didn't win but the staff went swinging for the fences. Winning fixes a lot of recruiting problems A LOT but we needed to get better recruiters on this staff and I feel like we did and aren't done

Comment

Never been a HC and has the personality of a toilet seat.
                                                        Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Irish View Post
                                                          And this guy knows toilet seats

Comment

I do like the fact that as OC he's highly involved with TE's. We've got some good ones coming in and a great one already here. Maybe it will work out.
                                                            Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

Originally posted by irishtrain View Post
                                                              I do like the fact that as OC he's highly involved with TE's. We've got some good ones coming in and a great one already here. Maybe it will work out.
                                                              Yeah I'm thinking the same. AJ, Smythe, Weishar, Luatua, Kmet and Wright. Loads of talent and a bit of every kind of tight end you'd want. May get even better if ND picks up one of the stud '18 kids they have their eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Irish View Post

... left up all the time.

Comment

What has Tom Clements ever done? This staff needed a major recruiting upgrade as far as coaches go. I am not worried about BK producing offense ever at ND, the guy can coach that side. So why not bring in a young energetic guy who can relate to players and every single post I've read about this guy said he's a rockstar recruiter. We brought in Polian and Long so that already boosted our recruiting. Elko with BVG who knows how good recruiter Elko is but he's replacing nothing which makes him something. I think there will be one more coaching change and who knows after that. Sure you need guys who can coach but we need to be involved with more elite recruitments and do what we did in 2013. Winning helps but we need to be more involved. Of our 5* recruits we had to work for them no doubt but proximity helped with Daelin Hayes, Jaylon Smith, Jurkovec kind of. We need to be more involved with battles like we were with Vanderdoes, Redfield, Stephon Tuitt, Aaron Lynch's of the world and even some we didn't win but the staff went swinging for the fences. Winning fixes a lot of recruiting problems A LOT but we needed to get better recruiters on this staff and I feel like we did and aren't done
                                                                  You do realize that Lynch, Redfield, Vanderdoes, and Bryant were fairly huge 5 star busts, in relation to how well they produced at ND. We, without a doubt, need less of those guys. We need players that are committed to the university and the program. Not flakes, head cases, trouble makers. We would've been substantially better off recruiting a 3/4 star that would be willing to work hard for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                    You do realize that Lynch, Redfield, Vanderdoes, and Bryant were fairly huge 5 star busts, in relation to how well they produced at ND. We, without a doubt, need less of those guys. We need players that are committed to the university and the program. Not flakes, head cases, trouble makers. We would've been substantially better off recruiting a 3/4 star that would be willing to work hard for the program.
                                                                    Yes, but we need to recruit guys with an edge and who are different types of athletes like those guys were. You will always find five star busts. Redfield bust, yes. But Vanderdoes comes here he goes to the NFL, Lynch is a 10 top pick if he stays, and who knows how good Greg Bryant would have been.

Comment

Yes, but we need to recruit guys with an edge and who are different types of athletes like those guys were. You will always find five star busts. Redfield bust, yes. But Vanderdoes comes here he goes to the NFL, Lynch is a 10 top pick if he stays, and who knows how good Greg Bryant would have been.
                                                                      I'm not sure what is so hard to get about this, they don't want to be here. In all those examples we convinced a prospect to come to ND, that didn't ultimately produce as much as a lesser ranked counterpart because of fit.

Okwara > Lynch
                                                                      Tillery > Vanderdoes
                                                                      Love > Redfield
                                                                      Adams > Bryant

It's about working to find the players that are fit, not convincing the ones that aren't that they should be.

Comment

Why is everyone thinking this guy will come in and all of a sudden change 7 years of BK's offensive history at ND regarding TEs?

Is it hope?

Comment

I think many are banking on this guy's experience coaching and playing the TE position is what has the hopes up of those you are referring to
                                                                          Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                                                                            Why is everyone thinking this guy will come in and all of a sudden change 7 years of BK's offensive history at ND regarding TEs?

Is it hope?
                                                                            Actually he hasn't thrown to the TE in 5 of 7 years. He threw to Rudolph in 2010 and to Niklas in 2013... oh, and the 8 times Eifert lined up attached over his career. Do the QB's tell the story? ND has Crist/Rees in '10 and Rees in '13. If next year's starter is a slow, white pocket passer I'd say there's a strong chance the inline TE's will see the ball.

Comment

• #39

Is it hope?
                                                                              Does that history include Tyler Eifert, Troy Niklas and Kyle Rudolph? Even Koyack was a decent weapon. We threw to the tight end under Rees and Golson.
                                                                              I'd maintain the lack of TE production the last two years has at least as much to do with Kizer's obvious discomfort throwing into the middle of the field as it does with Kelly's scheme.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I think you will see the TE used more next year. I think Alize Jones will be more of a hybrid and line up all over the field. I would like to see us get Tyler Luatua more involved next year. In 2015 when we ran the ball down teams throats in games it was mainly due to him being in there as an extra blocker, why he didn't see the field this year is beyond me. Kelly being stubborn? Also Smythe came around the last few games of the season. Not to mention guys like Cole and Wright are going to see the field right away at least I believe they should.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Actually he hasn't thrown to the TE in 5 of 7 years. He threw to Rudolph in 2010 and to Niklas in 2013... oh, and the 8 times Eifert lined up attached over his career. Do the QB's tell the story? ND has Crist/Rees in '10 and Rees in '13. If next year's starter is a slow, white pocket passer I'd say there's a strong chance the inline TE's will see the ball.
                                                                                  Exactly. He didnt have another serious WR threat in 2010 or in 2012 with Eifert playing all over the place. I forsee AJ being utilized like Eifert so essentially he will be the mainWR threat next year and is a TE in name only. That is if he can get his academics in order anyway.

After that only two times has a TE caught more than 10 passes in a season (32 for Niklas and 30 for Koyack). Cumulatively our TEs caught 29 passes since 2014 and that is including AJ's 13 catches in 2015.

So I looked again:
                                                                                  2010 -Rudolph 28 catches
                                                                                  2011-Eifert 63 catches mostly outwide IIRC though i cant confirm
                                                                                  2012 - Eifert 50 catches. Again outwide mostly IIRC
                                                                                  2013-Niklas 32 catches
                                                                                  2014- Koyack 30 catches
                                                                                  2015- Jones 13 though mostly outwide
                                                                                  2016 -Smythe 9 catches.
                                                                                  Last edited by Cackalacky; 12-31-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
                                                                                    Does that history include Tyler Eifert, Troy Niklas and Kyle Rudolph? Even Koyack was a decent weapon. We threw to the tight end under Rees and Golson.
                                                                                    I'd maintain the lack of TE production the last two years has at least as much to do with Kizer's obvious discomfort throwing into the middle of the field as it does with Kelly's scheme.
                                                                                    I think we are confusing inline and detached TEs which are basically WR in BKs offense. They are two completely different positions.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Exactly. He didnt have another serious WR threat in 2010 or in 2012 with Eifert playing all over the place. I forsee AJ being utilized like Eifert so essentially he will be the mainWR threat next year and is a TE in name only. That is if he can get his academics in order anyway.

After that only two times has a TE caught more than 10 passes in a season (32 for Niklas and 30 for Koyack). Cumulatively our TEs caught 29 passes since 2014 and that is including AJ's 13 catches in 2015.

So I looked again:
                                                                                      2010 -Rudolph 28 catches
                                                                                      2013-Niklas 32 catches
                                                                                      2014- Koyack 30 catches
                                                                                      2016 -Smythe 9 catches.
                                                                                      To be fair didn't Rusolph only play 6 games in 2010 due to injury? Otherwise he would have had much better numbers.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by pkt77242 View Post
                                                                                        To be fair didn't Rusolph only play 6 games in 2010 due to injury? Otherwise he would have had much better numbers.
                                                                                        I believe so. That year Eifert had 27 and Ragone came in second with 1 catch. Again Eifert was primarily detached in his years under BK. I am talking a true inline TE.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          The inline TE gets legitimate routes, but the wing TE doesn't really have routes

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                                                                                            I think you will see the TE used more next year. I think Alize Jones will be more of a hybrid and line up all over the field. I would like to see us get Tyler Luatua more involved next year. In 2015 when we ran the ball down teams throats in games it was mainly due to him being in there as an extra blocker, why he didn't see the field this year is beyond me. Kelly being stubborn? Also Smythe came around the last few games of the season. Not to mention guys like Cole and Wright are going to see the field right away at least I believe they should.
                                                                                            Everyone's hyped about Wright and Kmet. Wright might get to play because he's a good blocker but will he be better than Smythe or Luatua? No. If no one gets hurt, red shirt him. Cole Kmet is supposed to be the better receiver. Weishar is Illinois HS's all time leading receiver, did it in the same conference as Kmet. Why are we to believe he's an upgrade?

I hope both get redshirted unless one can make an impact offensively which only Rudolph and Niklas have been able to do in the BK era.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Downinthebend View Post
                                                                                              The inline TE gets legitimate routes, but the wing TE doesn't really have routes
                                                                                              I dont know what this means. Legitimate routes =! Targets or production

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                I'm certainly not as informed as many of you about Long, but it looks like a decent hire overall. As the dust begins to settle, it looks like the staff changes have been upgrades across the board, which leaves me with optimism to finish out recruiting and get prepared for 2017.

Comment

• #49

So I looked again:
                                                                                                  2010 -Rudolph 28 catches
                                                                                                  2013-Niklas 32 catches
                                                                                                  2014- Koyack 30 catches
                                                                                                  2016 -Smythe 9 catches.
                                                                                                  Reps on Koyak. I always forget he had that many catches because they weren't as impactful as Niklas'. Niklas had 50% more yardage on the same amount of rec's. Niklas was a weapon, Koyak was a checkdown, safety valve... which is GREAT if they'd do that as a consistent part of the offense.

In regards to the bolded years 2010 and 2013 (I think you meant 2013 as I wrote)
                                                                                                  Floyd and Jones both went over 1000 yards in those years and still all we remember is Eifert being a freak of nature. He only led the team in receiving once, he and TJ tied in rec's but Tyler had 25ish more yds.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Welcome Coach Long! Go Irish!!!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X