• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Elko - Defensive Coordinator

Welcome Coach Elko.

Here's my open letter to the new DC.

CME,

Since Job #1 is finishing off the 2017 class and plugging some holes I've prepared a cheat sheet which will no doubt be copy/pasted by someone inside the Gug. No prob, you have my permission, this is my welcoming gift to you.

Step #1. Double back on all of or Tier 1 offers and take their pulse. That's obvious.

Step #2. Offer Colin Schooler OLB/SS from Mission Viejo (CA) HS. He was born to play your system. No one offered his brother until after NSD. He started at safety for Oregon as a true freshman. Colin is better. He's Drue Tranquil with Tier 1 wheels.

Step #3. Start combing through the wanna-be ND program's (Duke, Vandy, NW, WF) commits:

Wake Forest:

- Bring DE Michael Allen with you. Who cares what the early feedback is. Kid deserves an ND education and to experience lake effect snow dammit.

- Troy Simon 3star CB. He has an ND offer. Played way above R&R's at The Opening Regional.

- DJ Taylor 3star OLB. Probably my favorite player on this entire list not named Drew Jordan Way under valued. Very similar to Antjuan Simmons (RB/OLB) only you got him to commit once already.

- Avery Showell 3star S Played for undefeated GA state champs. Had 42 rec ... 762 yds ... 16 TD ... 1 Def TD in 13 G. Used as a rush OLB and SS. Actually a very impressive tape. Several passing plays where he runs away from everyone.

Northwestern:

- Earnest Brown - US Army AA DE. NW does not deserve him! Offer & Sign.

- Trevor Kent - 3star DE. Same position as Brown. ND kicked his tires. Offer both, get at least one.

- JR Pace 3star S from Georgia. Really a 4star. Too good for NW. If Fields doesn't work out.

- Berkeley Holman - 3star WR. (Please give this to Coach Denbrock for me )If Calvin doesn't pop offer him. 1300 yd at St John Bosco. PLAYER. Maybe the best guy IE members have never heard of. Former teammate of DJ Morgan.

Duke:

- Drew Jordan 4star WDE. - OK, this is obviously the best guy on the list. Why is he going to Duke? Cuz no one loved him enough to make him see the light. ND never offered. PLEASE change that coach.

- The Safety Triplets = Marquise Waters, Damani Neal, Lummie Young. They only need two. You recruited them all. I really like Waters. Neal is a player but vertically challenged.

- Ben Frye 3star WDE. I know little about him besides WF recruited him and he's from Ohio. White boys from Ohio love ND, especially when OSU doesn't love them. It's like a rule or something. If you still like him, it's up to you.

Vandy:

- Dimitri Moore - 3star OLB. Avery Davis' under valued teammate at Cedar Hill. Deserves better than nasty, muggy, dirty, hillbilly-hollywood Nashville. Same class as Simmons and Taylor

- Nico Bolden - 3star FS. Long athletic FS. Much like Isaiah Robertson. From Minnesota - not afraid of the occasional Arctic cold front.

I'll send the the 2018 Hit List soon. You've got some catching up to do.

NDC

Last edited by BobbyMac; 12-16-2016, 08:24 PM.

Only update I can add is we have tried, a few times, to get in with Earnest Brown and he's just not interested.

Comment

I still want Mike Allen the most of the DEs, just because of his size. I'd bet we'd get him if we went all in on him, but who knows if we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
        Only update I can add is we have tried, a few times, to get in with Earnest Brown and he's just not interested.
        Atheists. They're a fickle bunch Lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
          Welcome Coach Elko.

CME,

Since Job #1 is finishing off the 2017 class and plugging some holes I've prepared a cheat sheet which will no doubt be copy/pasted by someone inside the Gug. No prob, you have my permission, this is my welcoming gift to you.

Step #1. Double back on all of or Tier 1 offers and take their pulse. That's obvious.

Step #2. Offer Colin Schooler OLB/SS from Mission Viejo (CA) HS. He was born to play your system. No one offered his brother until after NSD. He started at safety for Oregon as a true freshman. Colin is better. He's Drue Tranquil with Tier 1 wheels.

Step #3. Start combing through the wanna-be ND program's (Duke, Vandy, NW, WF) commits:

Wake Forest:

- Bring DE Michael Allen with you. Who cares what the early feedback is. Kid deserves an ND education and to experience lake effect snow dammit.

- Troy Simon 3star CB. He has an ND offer. Played way above R&R's at The Opening Regional.

- DJ Taylor 3star OLB. Probably my favorite player on this entire list not named Drew Jordan Way under valued. Very similar to Antjuan Simmons (RB/OLB) only you got him to commit once already.

Northwestern:

- Trevor Kent - 3star DE. Same position as Brown. ND kicked his tires. Offer both, get at least one.

- JR Pace 3star S from Georgia. Really a 4star. Too good for NW. If Fields doesn't work out.

- Berkeley Holman - 3star WR. (Please give this to Coach Denbrock for me )If Calvin doesn't pop offer him. 1300 yd at St John Bosco. PLAYER. Maybe the best guy IE members have never heard of. Former teammate of DJ Morgan.

Duke:

- Drew Jordan 4star WDE. - OK, this is obviously the best guy on the list. Why is he going to Duke? Cuz no one loved him enough to make him see the light. ND never offered. PLEASE change that coach.

- The Safety Triplets = Marquise Waters, Damani Neal, Lummie Young. They only need two. You recruited them all. I really like Waters. Neal is a player but vertically challenged.

- Ben Frye 3star WDE. I know little about him besides WF recruited him and he's from Ohio. White boys from Ohio love ND, especially when OSU doesn't love them. It's like a rule or something. If you still like him, it's up to you.

Vandy:

- Dimitri Moore - 3star OLB. Avery Davis' under valued teammate at Cedar Hill. Deserves better than nasty, muggy, dirty, hillbilly-hollywood Nashville. Same class as Simmons and Taylor

- Nico Bolden - 3star FS. Long athletic FS. Much like Isaiah Robertson. From Minnesota - not afraid of the occasional Arctic cold front.

NDC

And just why aren't you apart of this staff?????

Comment

Nice list, will you be the bag ma - I mean can you help with any of these prospects?

Comment

Originally posted by OCIrish View Post
              Working on that.

Originally posted by NDohio View Post
              Nice list, will you be the bag ma - I mean can you help with any of these prospects?
              If I lived close enough to Drew Jordan, he might have had a better Christmas. I actually know a guy associated with Schooler's program. He was one of my recruitnik group at Buffalo Wild Wings in OC. I GUARANTEE Schooler would jump on an ND offer.

Bookmark this page: He will be in the NFL.

Comment

We have spots to fill. I hope that Elko gets in and gets to work, with guys that he likes. This is a good list, solid contribution Crusader.

DREW JORDAN, PLEASE!!!!!

Comment

Actually, he is apart of this staff.

Comment

I second this! I have been lucky enough to watch him play on TV and he is definitely worth an ND offer.
                    GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Can someone post the tweet about him from irish illustrated please. Awesome gesture!
                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Welcome Coach Elko.

CME,

Wake Forest:

Northwestern:

Duke:

Vandy:

NDC

This is really great Crusader. Thanks a lot for taking the time. I thought I knew a lot about recruiting then I saw this.....I feel so small.....hahaha. Anyways, what do you think the chances that ND staff actually see this and for that matter do you think or know of staff actually reading IE for any reason ie checking out ND fan base to see their reactions and rumours floating around?

Comment

Originally posted by ND Fan Vancouver View Post
                          This is really great Crusader. Thanks a lot for taking the time. I thought I knew a lot about recruiting then I saw this.....I feel so small.....hahaha.
                          Well I am 6-5.5, 290 lil buddy...

Anyways, what do you think the chances that ND staff actually see this
                          Zero, zilch, nuttin, nada.

and for that matter do you think or know of staff actually reading IE for any reason ie checking out ND fan base to see their reactions and rumours floating around?
                          I have no idea if the staff ever reads this stuff. I hope they don't.

Lastly, remember we're reading this in the US. Please use proper English spelling.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cool note on <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachMikeElko">@CoachMikeElko</a>, he texted his defensive players Thursday before the news broke. Was available for 1-on-1 meetings at Wake today</p>&mdash; Irish Illustrated (@PeteSampson_) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/809892688938074112">December 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
                            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Well I am 6-5.5, 290 lil buddy...

Zero, zilch, nuttin, nada.

I have no idea if the staff ever reads this stuff. I hope they don't.

Lastly, remember we're reading this in the US. Please use proper English spelling.
                              Haha, because my iPad doesn't have a Canadian-English spelling option, I actually get auto-corrected when spelling defense or rumour or flavour etc. I'll Yankee it up for you my big friend. Speaking of which, you must e played football them huh?

Comment

Respect. Seems like a standup guy.

Comment

Haha, because my iPad doesn't have a Canadian-English spelling option, I actually get auto-corrected when spelling defense or rumour or flavour etc. I'll Yankee it up for you my big friend. Speaking of which, you must e played football them huh?
                                  Nope. Just a short guy who played basketball.

Comment

always look forward to reading NDCrusaders posts and his take on things.

REPS!

Comment

This is really great Crusader. Thanks a lot for taking the time. I thought I knew a lot about recruiting then I saw this.....I feel so small.....hahaha. Anyways, what do you think the chances that ND staff actually see this and for that matter do you think or know of staff actually reading IE for any reason ie checking out ND fan base to see their reactions and rumours floating around?
                                      Don't give him too much credit. He just writes what his wife tells him to. lol

Comment

Didn't know how good Elko was until I saw some highlights of his team. Pretty shocking to see what they were doing with a lot of lower quality recruits compared to us. I'm buying into the hype because we play like they were systematically and pile the offense..we can turn things around in drastically in two years.

Comment

I am really excited by this hire. Dude does more with less. Either him or Phil Snow is who I wanted. I can't wait to see what they do on defense.

Comment

Totally whiffed on Avery Showell in my prospect-us.

He's decommiting. He's a 3star S 6-2. 195 Played for undefeated GA state champs. Had 42 rec ... 762 yds ... 16 TD ... 1 Def TD in 13 G. Used as a rush OLB and SS. Actually a very impressive tape. Several passing plays where he runs away from everyone.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3986901/58002f0ced57ee15d464ccbc' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Welcome Coach Elko.

CME,

Wake Forest:

- Avery Showell 3star S Played for undefeated GA state champs. Had 42 rec ... 762 yds ... 16 TD ... 1 Def TD in 13 G. Used as a rush OLB and SS. Actually a very impressive tape. Several passing plays where he runs away from everyone.

Northwestern:

Duke:

Vandy:

NDC

Ive never claimed to be a super smart guy or anything....but after reading this, in addition to the outright information (and insight) being passed here, I am sensing some well placed references that seems to be conveying some type of message in a sort of 'familiar if you recognize it' type of way. My 'hidden in plain sight' detector is going off.....in a good way :D
                                              YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
                                              Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

Comment

Originally posted by TDHeysus View Post
                                                Ive never claimed to be a super smart guy or anything....but after reading this, in addition to the outright information (and insight) being passed here, I am sensing some well placed references that seems to be conveying some type of message in a sort of 'familiar if you recognize it' type of way. My 'hidden in plain sight' detector is going off.....in a good way :D
                                                The views and opinions expressed in this thread are those of the author's and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Notre Dame Football. Examples of analysis performed within this article are only examples. They should not be utilized in real-world analytics of Notre Dame Football recruiting and potential offers discussed here within as they are based only on very limited and sometime dated open source information. Assumptions made within the analysis are not reflective of the position of Brian Kelly, Mike Elko or any staff members currently or previously employed by the University of Notre Dame and/or its football program.

Comment

Mike Vorel tweeted that an MAC coach said Mike Elko was the best defensive coach he's ever coached against. Said he's a "phenomenal X and O's guy."

I like it.

Sorry I didn't embed

Go Irish

Comment

Well if the MACtion vouches for him..
                                                    Prehistoric

Comment

Mike Vorel tweeted that an MAC coach said Mike Elko was the best defensive coach he's ever coached against. Said he's a "phenomenal X and O's guy."

I like it.

Sorry I didn't embed

Go Irish

Please, tell me he doesn't have a defensive schematic advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                        Please, tell me he doesn't have a defensive schematic advantage.
                                                        He motions late alot to disguise coverage, and late line shifts.

Comment

Is Elko coaching in Wake's bowl game? I'm in a bowl pick em and this is a very important piece on whether I have them upsetting Temple.
                                                          Originally posted by koonja
                                                          I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                            Is Elko coaching in Wake's bowl game? I'm in a bowl pick em and this is a very important piece on whether I have them upsetting Temple.
                                                            I'm going to assume that since ND has made an official announcement, that he's going to be on ND staff and not coach for Wake. But I could be wrong. I can't find anything definitive.

*Good to have you back, Wooly. How's the baby?

Comment

I've read that he's coaching the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                I've read that he's coaching the game.
                                                                Thanks. If Elko coaches his last game, I'm hoping that his guys play their hearts out for them. No Rhule on the Temple sideline either. I'll take that 13.5 line all day.

Comment

Woooooooooly!

So what's your opinion on the higher?

Welcome back! And Merry Christmas! Your first as a father!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                                    Woooooooooly!

So what's your opinion on the higher?

Welcome back! And Merry Christmas! Your first as a father!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                                    Thanks homie. Good to be back. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

I love the hire. He's been successful his entire career, his scheme fits our personnel and I'll take a guy who put up a top 15 defense with crappy Wake talent while their game plans were being given to their opponents. Ha.

Comment

Thanks homie. Good to be back. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

I love the hire. He's been successful his entire career, his scheme fits our personnel and I'll take a guy who put up a top 15 defense with crappy Wake talent while their game plans were being given to their opponents. Ha.
                                                                      This simply cannot be overstated. Homerun hire, absolutely the best we could have done this year.

Comment

Welcome Coach Elko.

CME,

Wake Forest:

Northwestern:

Duke:

Vandy:

NDC

I just circled back around to this thread.

Ok...who are you..REALLY! You don't sound at all like a typical fan who spends too much time on recruiting services.
                                                                        One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Totally whiffed on Avery Showell in my prospect-us.

He's decommiting. He's a 3star S 6-2. 195 Played for undefeated GA state champs. Had 42 rec ... 762 yds ... 16 TD ... 1 Def TD in 13 G. Used as a rush OLB and SS. Actually a very impressive tape. Several passing plays where he runs away from everyone.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3986901/58002f0ced57ee15d464ccbc' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                          fun tape...reminds me of Golden Tate a little...he doesn't look like he is going to be that fast...but there he goes.
                                                                          One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Elko got a multi-year deal, separate from Kelly right? I also love the hire, and don't think we could have done any better, but I hope his success at ND isn't yoked to Kelly's. I can't think of any other HC who came so close to getting fired yet still managed achieve the level of success we expect here.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Wow. Look at this thread. Elko hasn't even coached a game at ND, yet has already pumped enough estrogen into this forum to open up even the most stuck labial adhesion. This guy is a legend!

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Guys. It's almost Chrismas Eve. Don't have petty fights like this.
                                                                                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                  Guys. It's almost Chrismas Eve. Don't have petty fights like this.
                                                                                  But it is Festevus!

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                                                                    Wow. Look at this thread. Elko hasn't even coached a game at ND, yet has already pumped enough estrogen into this forum to open up even the most stuck labial adhesion. This guy is a legend!
                                                                                    There is literally no posts that are fanboy-ish or making crazy claims in this thread. I have no idea what prompted this post. Ha

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      There was a little skirmish between people that dislike Nashville and a guy that lived in Nashville.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        There is literally no posts that are fanboy-ish or making crazy claims in this thread. I have no idea what prompted this post. Ha
                                                                                        He wants to point to this post in mid-January to say see I knew a month ago
                                                                                        Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          All this Diaco talk, people wanting him to rejoin the staff as an analyst... Elko doesn't need the old guy who was successful and who's tight with his new boss looking over his shoulder. Bad work dynamic. Don't need someone spitting in your soup.

He should have no prob getting a job somewhere if he needs the money which he shouldn't.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            All this Diaco talk, people wanting him to rejoin the staff as an analyst... Elko doesn't need the old guy who was successful and who's tight with his new boss looking over his shoulder. Bad work dynamic. Don't need someone spitting in your soup.

He should have no prob getting a job somewhere if he needs the money which he shouldn't.
                                                                                            BK did it last year with Quinn and Biaggi
                                                                                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                              ...and Hudson and...

How did that work out?

Hierarchy of position is crucial in building a management team

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                                I get the idea of having more brains helping out, however, too many cocks in the henhouse can also lead to problems.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I get the idea of having more brains helping out, however, too many cocks in the henhouse can also lead to problems.
                                                                                                  <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T926HtmFikU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    not a problem at UM or Bama where they have armies of coaches working as analysts. Some even more experienced than the on-field coaches they support.
                                                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X