Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ND's Talking Heads ... The good, bad & ugly

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What a couple of useless tools. Done nothing to improve recruiting? He went out and got the rockstar DC. He played a role in getting a beautiful indoor practice facility built. I’m almost positive we’ll see some Gug renovations in the near future. BK has been amazing for getting ND into the new era of college football the way that none of the recent coaches had. And all little Pete wants to talk about is Tyson Ford’s comments. He just ignores that Logan Diggs talked about how much BK recruited him down the stretch. Or the numerous other players that have been in contact with BK.

    The no superstars comment by Polian is terrible journalism. The context of that comment is they view it as a team effort. Nobody is recruiting a guy on there own. You are either deliberately trying to make them look bad or complete fucking idiot to take it the way Sampson is.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
      The better the program has gotten, the worse some of the Ďjournalistsí have. Thatís pretty telling.
      Itís also odd that itís two guys that know significantly less about the subject matter they are talking about then they used to, yet have increased their criticism. Fortuna no longer covering ND and Sampson no longer covering recruiting and more just team based, as journalists youíd expect them to be aware of their now limited knowledge and leave it to the current subject matter experts. Their pod has just become two random ND fans complaining advertised as a Athletic podcast.

      Comment


      • And if it felt scripted, that’s because it was. How in the world is that a bad thing. They came to a planned presser with a coordinated effort on what to discuss. Focusing on the retrospective work they did on their recruiting efforts and how those efforts produced on the field. How dare they do such a thing. They should’ve just stood there while Pete hurled his stupid questions and accusations about Tyson Ford at BK.

        Comment


        • The irony of complaining about Tyson Ford's comments when the kid is committed to ND.
          Prehistoric

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
            And if it felt scripted, thatís because it was. How in the world is that a bad thing. They came to a planned presser with a coordinated effort on what to discuss. Focusing on the retrospective work they did on their recruiting efforts and how those efforts produced on the field. How dare they do such a thing. They shouldíve just stood there while Pete hurled his stupid questions and accusations about Tyson Ford at BK.
            They are way over-conspiracy thinking the planned nature of it. Yes was some of it planned to address the Ford criticism, yes. But it was a NSD presser in which Rees talked about Buchner and Coan, Elston talked about Aipui and other recruiting mentions, combined with Freemanís first presser. An unorganized and question based presser could have lasted for hours. I viewed the structure as just a time base keep it moving.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
              The irony of complaining about Tyson Ford's comments when the kid is committed to ND.
              Seriously. Itís complete nonsense.

              Well, we only have him because of Freeman and the only reason we have Freeman is because of BK...oh wait...thatís not supposed to read that way. Let me rethink this narrative for a bit and Iíll get back to you.

              Comment


              • tbf i feel like they are mainly just pissed BK didn't take any questions
                What did Davonte do?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Huntr View Post
                  Don't even need to listen to the whole thing - you get the point in the 1st 5 minutes. Ragging Kelly's recruiting efforts, ragging Kelly not taking questions at the signing day presser, ragging the things Polian and Elston were saying about no recruiting superstars amongst the coaches, ragging Kelly saying a few years ago that ND could be top 5 recruiting then not doing anything to get there and on and on.

                  I almost f'in choked when Fortuna said that the stuff Polian was saying in the presser sounded like he was reading a powerpoint about his recent book on coaching because it was full of a lot of platitudes w/o a lot of substance.

                  I mean, some of their criticism is true. But, it's also true that Fortuna has a serious hardon for Kelly and Sampson is starting to act like he does, too.
                  Thanks.
                  Never really cared for either.

                  I do think there are some areas where it's fair to criticize on the topic, so thought they might have spit some data points on BK's tenure. My biggest beefs are struggles at specific positions, and overall just the lack of elite guys (5 star). Only 1 in the last 8 classes. He had like 4 or 5 in his first few years. I know star-talk triggers some, and I know it's not all about stars, but it's absolutely an indicator.
                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                    tbf i feel like they are mainly just pissed BK didn't take any questions
                    Reminds me of the reaction from Clemson week when they and the II guys were ragging on how "unprofessional" it was for 30 minutes on their podcast. Lol as if spending 30 minutes on that single comment wasn't.

                    I'm glad that I don't need to listen to the latest episode of The Shamrock. Honestly half the episodes lately (and the guests) have been lackluster.

                    Comment


                    • I mean Matt Fortuna's greatest ND vs Michigan memory (as told on their podcast before the 2019 game) was Lennay Kekua's funeral.

                      That was my first and only time I've listened to that podcast.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                        tbf i feel like they are mainly just pissed BK didn't take any questions
                        I also think the lack of access to assistants and players has really irked everyone on the beat the past couple of years too.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by FWIrish4 View Post
                          I also think the lack of access to assistants and players has really irked everyone on the beat the past couple of years too.
                          and the fact that BK has no problem doing sit down interviews with national guys/ESPN but does not play ball with the beat guys
                          What did Davonte do?

                          Comment


                          • I don't really have a problem with what they said.

                            The big picture takeaway is Kelly said they needed to take the next step in recruiting to be perennially top 5. They argue that nothing has really changed in recruiting practices or results. This class is pretty similar to all the other Kelly classes (on a rating per player scale it is not a great class even by Kelly standards).

                            They also argue that bringing up wins per season is great and all but it is irrelevant to the recruiting discussion. It is a false dichotomy to say: would you rather top 5 finishes or top 5 recruiting classes? The answer is both.

                            Is it beating a dead horse? Maybe. Everyone knows recruiting is top 10 not top 5, and the on field result correlates to that.

                            Comment


                            • Also, BK sort of did dig his own grave with the "we want to be top 5 in recruiting" quote.

                              He set his own bar very high with that one...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                I don't really have a problem with what they said.

                                The big picture takeaway is Kelly said they needed to take the next step in recruiting to be perennially top 5. They argue that nothing has really changed in recruiting practices or results. This class is pretty similar to all the other Kelly classes (on a rating per player scale it is not a great class even by Kelly standards).

                                They also argue that bringing up wins per season is great and all but it is irrelevant to the recruiting discussion. It is a false dichotomy to say: would you rather top 5 finishes or top 5 recruiting classes? The answer is both.

                                Is it beating a dead horse? Maybe. Everyone knows recruiting is top 10 not top 5, and the on field result correlates to that.
                                Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                Also, BK sort of did dig his own grave with the "we want to be top 5 in recruiting" quote.

                                He set his own bar very high with that one...
                                You're not wrong, but does appear Sampson and Fortuna are acting like a couple of toddlers.

                                Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                  You're not wrong, but does appear Sampson and Fortuna are acting like a couple of toddlers.

                                  Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
                                  Agree. They are reacting emotionally to getting the cold shoulder from Kelly. I just think it's one of those "you're not wrong you're just an asshole" gif moments.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                    I don't really have a problem with what they said.

                                    The big picture takeaway is Kelly said they needed to take the next step in recruiting to be perennially top 5. They argue that nothing has really changed in recruiting practices or results. This class is pretty similar to all the other Kelly classes (on a rating per player scale it is not a great class even by Kelly standards).

                                    They also argue that bringing up wins per season is great and all but it is irrelevant to the recruiting discussion. It is a false dichotomy to say: would you rather top 5 finishes or top 5 recruiting classes? The answer is both.

                                    Is it beating a dead horse? Maybe. Everyone knows recruiting is top 10 not top 5, and the on field result correlates to that.
                                    The topics in general are valid topics. The misrepresentation and narrative to go with it is at best just bizarre at worst plain bad journalism

                                    Comment


                                    • If I was BK I would give more screen time to the big players in the media as well. Sorry to say it, but local beat guys do little to help his cause. Frankly, BK has been treated better by national media outlets recently than the local affiliates.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Huntr View Post
                                        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Video | Notre Dame OC Tommy Rees on Tyler Buchner &amp; QB Evaluations<br><br>Full Video: <a href="https://t.co/MfEpBKNaeH">https://t.co/MfEpBKNaeH</a> <a href="https://t.co/PweDCHuoGG">pic.twitter.com/PweDCHuoGG</a></p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1357447407588569090?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 4, 2021</a></blockquote>


                                        In case anyone wants to see the Tommy Freshwater look.
                                        That's disappointing. I was expecting blonde, not brown with some little highlighting.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post
                                          If I was BK I would give more screen time to the big players in the media as well. Sorry to say it, but local beat guys do little to help his cause. Frankly, BK has been treated better by national media outlets recently than the local affiliates.
                                          Does BK cold shoulder journalists who treat him negatively and give more time to those who treat him positively? Or is it just local vs. national?

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                            The topics in general are valid topics. The misrepresentation and narrative to go with it is at best just bizarre at worst plain bad journalism
                                            I asked Pete about it. He gave an in depth response on The Athletic in today's mailbag if y'all have that sub.
                                            My CFB Book: https://www.amazon.com/Southbound-Tr.../dp/0692932593

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                                              Does BK cold shoulder journalists who treat him negatively and give more time to those who treat him positively? Or is it just local vs. national?
                                              I'm not sure on this. It's really just speculation on my part, but BK does seem to relish the opportunity to speak to the national media, which isn't the impression I get when he deals with the local pundits. The biggest thing is these local guys seem to feel entitled to certain information just because they are "local". A good journalist, or reporter, can be critical while also being respectful. Can't expect BK, or any coach in the country, to give exclusives to media outlets they feel aren't looking out for their best interest.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                                Agree. They are reacting emotionally to getting the cold shoulder from Kelly. I just think it's one of those "you're not wrong you're just an asshole" gif moments.
                                                It's funny - I listened to The Shamrock when it first came out. I remember the very first one Pete saying his favorite podcast was Men In Blazers and that he and Matt would structure this podcast to be similar to that - very entertaining and comical, not just a couple of guys complaining about ND Football and Brian Kelly - well Pete, you had better reevaluate.

                                                I don't listen anymore.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                  That's disappointing. I was expecting blonde, not brown with some little highlighting.
                                                  Haha same here. I was expecting full blown N Sync Timberlake hair.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                                    Haha same here. I was expecting full blown N Sync Timberlake hair.
                                                    Guy Fieri surely
                                                    What did Davonte do?

                                                    Comment


                                                    • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> OL coach Jeff Quinn is one of <a href="https://twitter.com/Rivals?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Rivals</a>&#39; top 25 recruiters for the 2021 cycle.<br><br>Here&#39;s why: <a href="https://t.co/fZPgq01K7j">https://t.co/fZPgq01K7j</a> <a href="https://t.co/flSwnzprzY">pic.twitter.com/flSwnzprzY</a></p>&mdash; Mike Singer (@Rivals_Singer) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rivals_Singer/status/1357732465129971712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                      What did Davonte do?

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by hungryhippo View Post
                                                        I asked Pete about it. He gave an in depth response on The Athletic in today's mailbag if y'all have that sub.
                                                        Jim M.
                                                        1h ago

                                                        @Frank P. Are you Pete?
                                                        lmfao

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by Huntr View Post
                                                          lmfao
                                                          Haha, yeah I've been on one this morning.
                                                          My CFB Book: https://www.amazon.com/Southbound-Tr.../dp/0692932593

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by hungryhippo View Post
                                                            I asked Pete about it. He gave an in depth response on The Athletic in today's mailbag if y'all have that sub.
                                                            Good question. See his response was basically the context we are looking for around comments that lack context. Which I think circles back to still idk of his recent run is bizarre or just poor journalism. That means he knows the context, he is just choosing to present it in a negative fashion and without that to the general public.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congratulations on your retirement, Jack! <br><br>Not only have you been a good friend to our program and all of Notre Dame Athletics, but also the support you have given to the Kelly Cares Foundation has been greatly appreciated. Thank you for everything and enjoy your retirement. <a href="https://t.co/b73ZEWEw0N">pic.twitter.com/b73ZEWEw0N</a></p>&mdash; Brian Kelly (@CoachBrianKelly) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachBrianKelly/status/1357777252604346368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                              BK got time to backslap Sleepy Jack Nolan but no time to call Tyson Ford's mom back SMH
                                                              What did Davonte do?

                                                              Comment


                                                              • You think Kelly personally runs his twitter account?

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                  You think Kelly personally runs his twitter account?
                                                                  I bet he periodically does things himself.
                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • https://twitter.com/CarterKarels/sta...015513089?s=20

                                                                    Carter Karels let go by the South Bend Tribune, quite a shame always thought he was a very good ND beat writer
                                                                    What did Davonte do?

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                      https://twitter.com/CarterKarels/sta...015513089?s=20

                                                                      Carter Karels let go by the South Bend Tribune, quite a shame always thought he was a very good ND beat writer
                                                                      Definitely. Really enjoyed his stuff.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • ISD did a Mike Frank-less Podcast on Monday with Jamie and Matt and despite the sound quality it was a really fun listen and in my mind was way more entertaining and insightful than the normal. Should be the standard every week ;)
                                                                        What did Davonte do?

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Speaking of ISD, is there an issue using chrome on that site? I go to the premium subscription page and it's all wonky.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Tom Loy's mom passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer. RIP
                                                                            What did Davonte do?

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Awful. Eternal rest grant unto her. Thank you for sharing, dub

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                Tom Loy's mom passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer. RIP
                                                                                Like him or not, you never like to see something like this. RIP.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                  Tom Loy's mom passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer. RIP
                                                                                  I give Loy crap a decent bit of the time. Take your time off Tom and don't feel the need to rush back. Losing a parent is tough. We'll greet you with open arms when you're ready to come back.
                                                                                  "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Brees officially retired. Officially announced as NBC’s color guy and ND talking head soon too?

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                                      Brees officially retired. Officially announced as NBC’s color guy and ND talking head soon too?
                                                                                      Was just going to post something similar. I know he had a deal in place with NBC but did we ever find out exactly what his role would be?

                                                                                      I'm already cringing at the Purdue lovefest we'd get if he's on the broadcast for that game.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • The New Orleans Saints quarterback has agreed to join NBC Sports as a football analyst when he is done playing, the New York Post reported Friday.

                                                                                        ...

                                                                                        According to the New York Post, Brees will be groomed as a potential replacement for Cris Collinsworth on NBC's "Sunday Night Football." Brees is expected to start as a game analyst for Notre Dame football games and as a studio analyst for "Football Night in America."
                                                                                        That’s from an old ESPN article

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Brees to the ND coverage team is confirmed
                                                                                          What did Davonte do?

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • So does this mean he replaces Dungy? Sad if true.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                                                              So does this mean he replaces Dungy? Sad if true.
                                                                                              I bet he will be doing Chris Simms' job, doing pregame and halftime analysis.

                                                                                              I wonder if this means Simms gets a new gig, or if he and Brees both do analysis.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

                                                                                                I bet he will be doing Chris Simms' job, doing pregame and halftime analysis.

                                                                                                I wonder if this means Simms gets a new gig, or if he and Brees both do analysis.
                                                                                                An article I read today said that Brees will be in the booth with Tirico, in Dungy's spot from the previous year.

                                                                                                From USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ca/4698702001/

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • I loved Dungy
                                                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

                                                                                                    An article I read today said that Brees will be in the booth with Tirico, in Dungy's spot from the previous year.

                                                                                                    From USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ca/4698702001/
                                                                                                    Whoa, straight to the color commentary job. Maybe NBC thinks he's the next Tony Romo lol.

                                                                                                    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                                    I loved Dungy
                                                                                                    I did too. None of the subtle shade that Flutie liked to spew, but less of the technical jargon that Mayock liked. Just a totally neutral color analyst that provided about what you'd expect for whoever gets to call the game alongside Tirico.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Not that either are really significant but I do think Brees, at least until people hear him, bring a bit more juice than Dungey did. National audience I think would view Brees on the call in a similar vein to Romo whereas Dungey had that Saturday morning type voice. Recruits/players certainly know Dungey’s name but again a bit more prime time type feel with Brees

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X