ND's Talking Heads ... The good, bad & ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND's Talking Heads ... The good, bad & ugly

Didn't know where to share this so I thought I'd start a master thread. I often have general thoughts about the industry and would be interested to hear others'. So to start it off...

Andrew Ivins left BGI/Rivals yesterday. Wonder why? I'll miss his twitter feed even though I'm not a Rivals member.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some personal news: Thursday marked my last day at <a href="https://twitter.com/BGInews">@BGInews</a>. It was a more than an eventful ride. On to the next stop, more on that soon.</p>&mdash; Andrew Ivins (@Andrew_Ivins) <a href="https://twitter.com/Andrew_Ivins/status/748900938903982081">July 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hasn't he only been there about a year or so?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

IIRC, he recently tweeted about being accepted to Notre Dame Law School. So I'd guess he's simply changing careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
        IIRC, he recently tweeted about being accepted to Notre Dame Law School. So I'd guess he's simply changing careers.
        Thanks Whiskey. I thought that was the other guy from Rivals... Owens, that was going to Law School.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
          Thanks Whiskey. I thought that was the other guy from Rivals... Owens, that was going to Law School.
          You're right. It was Andrew Owens, the other Andrew at BGI:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today is my final day at Blue &amp; Gold Illustrated. Itís been a great three years there. Iím excited to begin law school at <a href="https://twitter.com/NDLaw">@NDLaw</a> in August.</p>&mdash; Andrew Owens (@OwensAndrew) <a href="https://twitter.com/OwensAndrew/status/745658449351020544">June 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

Comment

Man I get those Andrews mixed up

Comment

I think like 3 of the ND guys left the Rivals site today. The entire Rivals network is really taking on water.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                I think like 3 of the ND guys left the Rivals site today. The entire Rivals network is really taking on water.
                Peegs.com which was Rivals longtime affiliate for IU basketball joined Scout today. Is Rivals going under or trying to bring all the properties in house?

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                  Peegs.com which was Rivals longtime affiliate for IU basketball joined Scout today. Is Rivals going under or trying to bring all the properties in house?
                  Yeah, and I think Minnesota and Colorado sites left Rivals today, too.

Comment

A new guy that was covering James Madison is coming in to cover ND...matt jones
                    EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

I came in here to talk shit about Tom Hammond. I can't express how disappointed I am that I misunderstood the direction of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                        Rivals pulling out all the stops

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                          Who?

Comment

Originally posted by Meatloaf View Post
                            Who?
                            Mike Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatloaf View Post
                              Who?

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No CEO or Chairman, tech team has quit, delay in payments, new Russian investors. The Scout network is imploding. <a href="https://t.co/eH7B5YURSn">https://t.co/eH7B5YURSn</a></p>&mdash; Awful Announcing (@awfulannouncing) <a href="https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/752649846155194369">July 11, 2016</a></blockquote>

Comment

Are we discussing Rivals or Scout?

:confused
                                  I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

Comment

Damn, wrote something in another thread. Mods, feel free to move here if needed.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No CEO or Chairman, tech team has quit, delay in payments, new Russian investors. The Scout network is imploding. <a href="https://t.co/eH7B5YURSn">https://t.co/eH7B5YURSn</a></p>&mdash; Awful Announcing (@awfulannouncing) <a href="https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/752649846155194369">July 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
                                      That sounds like not a functioning business.
                                      Prehistoric

Comment

Brit Hume On FOXnews is a piece of crap. He tried to egg the matter instead of calm .. Old ass white people should now better,.
                                        I was smarter when I drank...
                                        I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

I blame Bob Kravitz for Scout's downfall.

Comment

Kind of crazy... Scout's product had actually taken a huge step forward.

Comment

New Scout recruit phone number released: 011 7 342 522 7433

Comment

You don't what these people deal with behind the scenes. They're doing a job and if they're not happy with management, they move along. One guy who basically ran the ND 247 page left and started his own blog called 18 Stripes.

I've done it once myself. Unhappy with management/the way things were run and moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Graybeard52 View Post
                                                  You don't what these people deal with behind the scenes. They're doing a job and if they're not happy with management, they move along. One guy who basically ran the ND 247 page left and started his own blog called 18 Stripes.

I've done it once myself. Unhappy with management/the way things were run and moved on.
                                                  Are you sure you don't mean he left sbnation to make 18stripes? Or am I mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by OutintheBend View Post
                                                    Are you sure you don't mean he left sbnation to make 18stripes? Or am I mistaken?

Comment

Boo

Comment

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1391...-petition.html

Creditors Try to Force Scout Media Into Bankruptcy - WSJ
                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

Feckin' Russians, man.

Seriously, though, recruiting websites seems like a tough business. I don't know how the market is big enough to support three major sites plus ESPN. Each one needs a ton of reporters on the ground all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
                                                            Feckin' Russians, man.

Seriously, though, recruiting websites seems like a tough business. I don't know how the market is big enough to support three major sites plus ESPN. Each one needs a ton of reporters on the ground all over the place.
                                                            Seems like these kids can post their videos online. If you understand the level of competition (generally) you can get a pretty good idea about how measurables are translating.

I do work with video analysis. It is amazing the kind of spatial and other information you can extract from video clips. As standards and algorithms advance in video analysis, seems like the demand for what these guys do will keep shrinking. Seems like there will be room for one of them.

I also wonder if the combination of standards and analytical tools with the video won't be the thing that decides who survives...by that I mean he who provides the service for recruits to submit video, coaches to analyze, and their own rating will be king.
                                                            One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by phgreek View Post
                                                              Seems like these kids can post their videos online. If you understand the level of competition (generally) you can get a pretty good idea about how measurables are translating.

I do work with video analysis. It is amazing the kind of spatial and other information you can extract from video clips. As standards and algorithms advance in video analysis, seems like the demand for what these guys do will keep shrinking. Seems like there will be room for one of them.

I also wonder if the combination of standards and analytical tools with the video won't be the thing that decides who survives...by that I mean he who provides the service for recruits to submit video, coaches to analyze, and their own rating will be king.
                                                              I guess. I don't know that the value the sites offer to the typical college football fan is so much in the videos/analysis/rankings as it is in the news about recruiting itself. Who's visiting, who's leading for a kid, what a coachin staff thinks, where someone will go. What a guy like Wiltfong does. That's old-fashioned reporting, and requires relationships, with both recruits and coaching staffs. It's pretty labor intensive.

Comment

Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
                                                                I guess. I don't know that the value the sites offer to the typical college football fan is so much in the videos/analysis/rankings as it is in the news about recruiting itself. Who's visiting, who's leading for a kid, what a coachin staff thinks, where someone will go. What a guy like Wiltfong does. That's old-fashioned reporting, and requires relationships, with both recruits and coaching staffs. It's pretty labor intensive.
                                                                Yea...sorry, I got interrupted and didn't finish my thought. The evaluation info (stars) could be generated by creating anonymity, but posting coaches scores and assessments as they themselves view the "tape" using the tool sets to aid them. So reporter assessments may not be necessary, or at least the cost to do them significantly cheaper. I agree there is room for someone to do updates on soft stuff like where a recruit is trending, etc. But since the NCAA has to know about visits, I'm sure they have a system, and a feed could be generated.

I think the trend is this will be done with a lot of IT and integration, with one company leading the way.
                                                                One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Had to unfollow my first person on Twitter. Keep your politics and your job separate Nick Ironside. Surprised 247 hasn't told him as much.

Tyler James is now on the clock.

Comment

Shots fired at ND Nation lol

No matter how long I do it, Iíll never understand the people who canít find a way to enjoy it.

Apologies in advance, but let me get this one off my chest. Thereís a passion that surrounds Notre Dame football. But for a very vocal group, that passion has gotten demented, an elephant in the room thatís hard to ignoreóeven when youíre trying your best to do it.

Iíll never understand that. How people who have all the enthusiasm in the world for Notre Dame football have gotten it so twisted that theyíve forgotten that this is supposed to be fun.

Itís sports.

I wonít miss this part. The hard-liners who hold kids and coaches to a standard so far outside the one that they have for themselves, or the ones who fail to understand that every Saturday one team leaves a winner and the other a loseróand sometimes that loser wears blue and gold.

Make no mistake, I know better than most that college football is big business. Itís helped me and my family earn a living, talking and writing about one team, every day, for eight years. But for as good as it is when the team wins, the bad years are so much worse.

Itís hard not to draw parallels between the joyless cyber mob that infests Notre Dame football (and Iím sure many other programs) with the ones that turned this political season so toxic. The people who refuse to think thereís any nuanceóthat things either ARE or they ARENíT.

Itís hard to deal with people who believe that Notre Dame, if simply managed and operated by competent people, would still be the Notre Dame of the past. That if only Rockne, Leahy, Ara or Lou were in charge of the team, or Sorin, Moose or Father Ted were in the Main Building, things would be just fine.

Politics asideóand I truly mean thatónobody is going to Make Notre Dame Football Great Again. At least not how it used to be. And certainly not the echo chamber over at NDNation. So while that group will be very glad to be rid of me, know thatófor the most partóthe feeling is very mutual.
                                                                    To be fair though, there are plenty of people here that also apply to this. I think it was very well said.

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

To be fair though, there are plenty of people here that also apply to this. I think it was very well said.
                                                                      There are NDNation moles posting here!?

Comment

That sucks. I enjoyed Keith's work.

Comment

There are NDNation moles posting here!?
                                                                          Probably that Whiskeyjack guy....and that ACamp guy, but only because he's a douche.

Originally posted by dang227 View Post
                                                                          That sucks. I enjoyed Keith's work.
                                                                          Same here. According to the blog he's an alum, didn't know that, but it makes sense. In any case, he gets ND I think. He's not like a lot of these other fellows that cover the Irish. I think Keith has always been more than fair and done a good job.
                                                                          Last edited by ulukinatme; 01-18-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Wonder how much NDN's blacklist of Inside the Irish had to do with this.

What a nitwit

They did it because he was too positive, or something. And they're proud of it! These are awful people.

Comment

• #43
                                                                              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Loser <a href="https://twitter.com/KeithArnold">@keitharnold</a> (who falsely claimed Rees would be QB coach) says ND can&#39;t be great again. This thinking is why we need to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/draindulac?src=hash">#draindulac</a> <a href="https://t.co/MNzxAwVEuh">https://t.co/MNzxAwVEuh</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame Trump (@realNotreTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realNotreTrump/status/821897686664310784">January 19, 2017</a></blockquote>

Comment

• #44
                                                                                Smh...

Keith was great. Hopefully someone is able to pick up his torch.
                                                                                Prehistoric

Comment

• #45
                                                                                  Originally posted by NDinBoston View Post
                                                                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Loser <a href="https://twitter.com/KeithArnold">@keitharnold</a> (who falsely claimed Rees would be QB coach) says ND can't be great again. This thinking is why we need to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/draindulac?src=hash">#draindulac</a> <a href="https://t.co/MNzxAwVEuh">https://t.co/MNzxAwVEuh</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame Trump (@realNotreTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realNotreTrump/status/821897686664310784">January 19, 2017</a></blockquote>
                                                                                  Isn't this pretty much an idiotic post (well its coming from an NDN parody account..) pretty much all journalists (sb tribune etc) now agree that Reese is going to coach QBs and if the ncaa approves the 10th slot (highly likely) it'll be as a qb coach, else it'll be as a "GA" until a spot opens.
                                                                                  Last edited by Downinthebend; 01-18-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                    Originally posted by Downinthebend View Post
                                                                                    Isn't this pretty much an idiotic post (well its coming from an NDN parody account..) pretty much all journalists (sb tribune etc) now agree that Reese is going to coach QBs and if the ncaa approves the 10th slot (highly likely) it'll be as a qb coach, else it'll be as a "GA" until a pot opens.
                                                                                    Right, it's just a joke account. I don't find much of it funny, but I think this one was actually funny in a way just not to be taken seriously or literally.

I liked Keith's work.

Comment

• #47

Wow... what a fuq'n prick. He complains about the lack of civility as he blasts on the very fan base that paid his mortgage the last 8 years in a rant that had no purpose but to shit on others.

Peace Keith... you're a piece of flaming $hit.
                                                                                      Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                        Originally posted by NDinBoston View Post
                                                                                        Right, it's just a joke account. I don't find much of it funny, but I think this one was actually funny in a way just not to be taken seriously or literally.

I liked Keith's work.
                                                                                        But it's not really a joke account.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                          Originally posted by Rocket89 View Post
                                                                                          But it's not really a joke account.
                                                                                          Maybe you're right. Sorry if it bothered anyone. I probably just don't take that account very seriously. I really hate the negative crap so didn't post it for that reason. My last post on the topic.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                            Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                            Wow... what a fuq'n prick. He complains about the lack of civility as he blasts on the very fan base that paid his mortgage the last 8 years in a rant that had no purpose but to shit on others.

Peace Keith... you're a piece of flaming $hit.
                                                                                            Damn, you love NDN that much to feel that way? Say it ain't so.

Keith's always been really chill and a nice guy. He has every right to throw an arrow of truth after taking an uncountable amount of disgusting and vile abuse over the years. Good for him.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                            Working...
                                                                                            X