Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brian Kelly Revisited

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

    I find your post rather amusing given your forum name.
    I said it earlier in this thread - Kelly deserves to leave on his own terms and timing. I just don't think he has much left in the tank personally. My initial point in this thread was more along the lines of ND has maxed out it's potential under BK. He's brought the program a loooong way from the Weis and Willingham lows. Maybe this is the ceiling for any coach at ND, it's hard to say. I just hope there is an effort to make a transition to someone like Freeman when it's time.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by NDRock View Post

      Except the time you got your ass handed to you and then spent the next 160 years building monuments, statues and flying flags as remembrance to that ass whipping.

      You’d think you would want to forget about that.
      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post


        Sounds like it’s Pyne Time.
        Really doesn't have much of a choice besides Pyne TBH. Everyone says the team rallies around him and what better way to get a team up after a loss? Focus in practice should be sharp. He definitely needs the reps to get on the same page with the receivers. There were two throws against Cincy where he threw the opposite way of the WR's break. Could have been the receiver, but given his lack of practice reps I'm guessing it was on him.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post

          I said it earlier in this thread - Kelly deserves to leave on his own terms and timing. I just don't think he has much left in the tank personally. My initial point in this thread was more along the lines of ND has maxed out it's potential under BK. He's brought the program a loooong way from the Weis and Willingham lows. Maybe this is the ceiling for any coach at ND, it's hard to say. I just hope there is an effort to make a transition to someone like Freeman when it's time.
          He said before his extension last year that his next contract would be his last.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

            Really doesn't have much of a choice besides Pyne TBH. Everyone says the team rallies around him and what better way to get a team up after a loss? Focus in practice should be sharp. He definitely needs the reps to get on the same page with the receivers. There were two throws against Cincy where he threw the opposite way of the WR's break. Could have been the receiver, but given his lack of practice reps I'm guessing it was on him.
            I still cant get the image of kevin Austin dropping a ball that hit right in the hands that would have put ND around mid field in the 4th quarter down 17-13, what could have been.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by IRISHMAN View Post

              I still cant get the image of kevin Austin dropping a ball that hit right in the hands that would have put ND around mid field in the 4th quarter down 17-13, what could have been.
              You can do this with a infinite series of events and it will still lead you to an unsatisfactory result. What if we didn't give them three RZ opportunities in the 1st half or allow them to score before halftime when they get the ball back again or leave Coan in too long or start him for that fact....
              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

              Comment


              • Originally posted by NDMatt91 View Post

                He said before his extension last year that his next contract would be his last.
                I cannot find where he ever said this. Can you link?
                Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NDRock View Post

                  Except the time you got your ass handed to you and then spent the next 160 years building monuments, statues and flying flags as remembrance to that ass whipping.

                  You’d think you would want to forget about that.
                  I have lived in the south for over 20 years but was born and raised in Indiana. I'm glad the North won as I love the US. I am convinced that southerners are more patriotic than northerners, having spent about equal time in both. I guess they are just more passionate people.

                  Having said that, Grant Takes Command is my favorite historical book. But that might be partially because one of my direct ancestors is in it. I would recommend it. Heck, I almost named my son Grant.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by IRISHMAN View Post

                    I still cant get the image of kevin Austin dropping a ball that hit right in the hands that would have put ND around mid field in the 4th quarter down 17-13, what could have been.
                    Yep. That was worse than whatever got him benched in 2019.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

                      You can spell "secession", without S-E-C.
                      It's Just a Ride.

                      Comment


                      • I think it's silly to be revisiting BK at this time. But, I do think BK should be revisiting Quinn and Rees.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post


                          Sounds like it’s Pyne Time.
                          It’s fair to question BK on why he wouldn’t have known this prior to last Saturday. With that said, BK is still the best coach available for the Irish. Y’all gotta stop with all the emotional stuff. The hardest thing to build in a CFB is depth. Miss on a few players here or there in any position group and good coaches and good teams will make you pay. Going in I thought ND was a 10-2 type team and that hasn’t changed. Keep on keeping on… continue to recruit at a high level and coach them up.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                            I think it's silly to be revisiting BK at this time. But, I do think BK should be revisiting Quinn and Rees.
                            Quinn > Del > Rees - that's the order imo

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

                              Quinn > Del > Rees - that's the order imo
                              Quinn and Del have to be gone after the season. You can't defend the play of the receivers and line. Rees I guess can stay as long as this other two are UPGRADED.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by T Town Tommy View Post

                                It’s fair to question BK on why he wouldn’t have known this prior to last Saturday. With that said, BK is still the best coach available for the Irish. Y’all gotta stop with all the emotional stuff. The hardest thing to build in a CFB is depth. Miss on a few players here or there in any position group and good coaches and good teams will make you pay. Going in I thought ND was a 10-2 type team and that hasn’t changed. Keep on keeping on… continue to recruit at a high level and coach them up.
                                No one seriously wants him gone. He goes out on his terms in three years or so.

                                Comment


                                • I don't think Kelly should be fired. I do think an ultimatum needs to set though that Rees is gone at the end of the year or Kelly and the program part ways. He's just terrible. It's honestly embarrassing that he's our OC when we're on the doorstep trying to break into the upper echelon.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by NDRock View Post

                                    Except the time you got your ass handed to you and then spent the next 160 years building monuments, statues and flying flags as remembrance to that ass whipping.

                                    You’d think you would want to forget about that.
                                    just wanted to bump this one again.

                                    Comment


                                    • I just really don't understand the Rees hate. The offense improved mightily when he replaced Long, and I just don't see a bunch of scheme issues. I see personnel issues, and yeah... QB is a part of that... but for certain it isn't the biggest part.

                                      I do understand the Quinn hate.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                        I just really don't understand the Rees hate. The offense improved mightily when he replaced Long, and I just don't see a bunch of scheme issues. I see personnel issues, and yeah... QB is a part of that... but for certain it isn't the biggest part.

                                        I do understand the Quinn hate.
                                        Coan RPOs, running slow developing run plays with a sieve of an offensive line, Buchner's predictable utilization, etc. There are plenty of scheme things to dislike about Rees.

                                        Tbf I wanted him gone before even seeing his on the field performance this season. His recruiting is also below the standard we need it to be.
                                        Last edited by GATTACA!; 10-04-2021, 10:38 PM.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

                                          Coan RPOs, running slow developing run plays with a sieve of an offensive line, Buchner's predictable utilization, etc. There are plenty of scheme things to dislike about Rees.

                                          Tbf I wanted him gone before even seeing his not he field performance this season. His recruiting is also below the standard we need it to be.
                                          Why can’t Coan run a RPO? A Mac Jones RPO and Matt Corral RPO are different.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by Dale View Post

                                            Why can’t Coan run a RPO? A Mac Jones RPO and Matt Corral RPO are different.
                                            Because Coan is never keeping it. Every person in the stadium knows it. There's no point in the defense respecting that option.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

                                              Because Coan is never keeping it. Every person in the stadium knows it. There's no point in the defense respecting that option.
                                              Not every RPO has QB run. If you wan to say Coan can’t run read option sure but nothing is preventing him from running an RPO, again Mac Jones did it all last year

                                              Comment


                                              • To completely do a 180 I am 100% in the replace/fire/revisit BK stuff is incredibly dumb but I do enjoy the candidate talk lol. I’ve continued to hold out hope Mullen is successful enough at UF to prove he’s a good HC but not too successful where he becomes entrenched. He continues to be a baby in pressers whenever he loses though and did it again this weekend. Still he has always got the best out of his QBs which how are you making the next hire without that in mind? UF OL/DL play versus Bama was a massive step forward that was looking positive and then UK loss in just bizarre way happens. Probably gonna be a solid NFL OC in the near term but there’s your HC that would certainly elevate the QB play here.

                                                Last blurb on Mullen, imagine all the growing BK had to do to effectively manage this whole program, maturing, dedication to recruiting etc. Now think if Mullen just does that growing at UF and and then we snatch it up. Mullen seems like a stubborn SOB that’s still in that growing as a big time HC stage, but as I said before he might just say f and and be a OC.
                                                Last edited by Dale; 10-04-2021, 11:10 PM.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                  I just really don't understand the Rees hate. The offense improved mightily when he replaced Long, and I just don't see a bunch of scheme issues. I see personnel issues, and yeah... QB is a part of that... but for certain it isn't the biggest part.

                                                  I do understand the Quinn hate.
                                                  There are some fans that never got over the fact Rees was QB when there were higher recruited guys were on the roster. We saw some of those guys implode like Crist and Hendrix, we lose that 2013 USC game if Rees doesn't play the 1st half (Among other games he bailed us out). I don't think anyone seriously believes he was the greatest QB to suit up for the Irish, but he obviously has a great head for the game and his preparation was second to none. Some of that was imparted onto Book, and it showed. With the exception of 2012 when Golson was playing well, Tommy was legitimately the best QB we had from 2010-2013 and some people never grasped that.

                                                  There certainly can be a case made that he was a young hire, but there are plenty of young hires that have done well. Charlie Weis Jr was putting up good points with Kiffin at FAU and he' s a year younger than Tommy. This year hasn't been as great since he took the South Florida job, but they've also faced three Top 25 teams already in BYU, Florida, and SMU. Tommy has a pretty good resume though: he destroyed a very good Iowa State team was very stingy on defense and could have won the Big 12 that year, he beat #1 Clemson no matter how you slice it, got to the playoff in his first full season, and now we have an unfortunate situation with the OL that is stymieing our entire offense. People want Rees' head because they still have axes to grind, but we're certainly better at the wheel now with Tommy than we were with Long. The OL has to get fixed one way or another, nobody is going to be consistently scoring points with this offense until that gets fixed. I'd like to see the WRs group step up too, but we saw last year that Rees was able to find ways to score without as much production from them.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Dale View Post

                                                    Not every RPO has QB run. If you wan to say Coan can’t run read option sure but nothing is preventing him from running an RPO, again Mac Jones did it all last year
                                                    Sure, I think it's pretty obvious though that I'm talking about the RPO's Rees is calling since that was a list of grievances against his scheme.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • WR Coach Targets

                                                      UNREALISTIC
                                                      - Mickey Joseph, LSU
                                                      - Brian Hartline, Ohio State

                                                      UNREALISTIC BUT WORTH A CALL
                                                      - Tee Martin, Baltimore Ravens

                                                      YOUNG UP AND COMERS
                                                      - Nathan Scheelhaase, Iowa State
                                                      - JaMarcus Shephard, Purdue
                                                      - Keary Colbert, USC
                                                      - David Gru, SMU
                                                      - Zohn Burden, Maryland

                                                      SAVVY VETS WHO COULD BE GOOD PICKUPS
                                                      - Ron Dugans, FSU
                                                      - George McDonald, Illinois

                                                      This is definitely a wild list because I might have definitely missed a name or two. After creating this I think I’d be super happy with Shephard or Scheelhaase. I only think Tee Martin comes back if he wants back into the college ranks. Also guys like Hartline and Joseph are unreachable cause they already make more than ND could possibly offer and will. I think if ND hired Nathan Scheelhaase they could be pretty good at that position.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                                        WR Coach Targets

                                                        UNREALISTIC
                                                        - Mickey Joseph, LSU
                                                        - Brian Hartline, Ohio State

                                                        UNREALISTIC BUT WORTH A CALL
                                                        - Tee Martin, Baltimore Ravens

                                                        YOUNG UP AND COMERS
                                                        - Nathan Scheelhaase, Iowa State
                                                        - JaMarcus Shephard, Purdue
                                                        - Keary Colbert, USC
                                                        - David Gru, SMU
                                                        - Zohn Burden, Maryland

                                                        SAVVY VETS WHO COULD BE GOOD PICKUPS
                                                        - Ron Dugans, FSU
                                                        - George McDonald, Illinois

                                                        This is definitely a wild list because I might have definitely missed a name or two. After creating this I think I’d be super happy with Shephard or Scheelhaase. I only think Tee Martin comes back if he wants back into the college ranks. Also guys like Hartline and Joseph are unreachable cause they already make more than ND could possibly offer and will. I think if ND hired Nathan Scheelhaase they could be pretty good at that position.
                                                        You've got to look at the young up and comers, right? The unrealistic options aren't happening, and for that reason I don't think Colbert leaves USC because it's a lateral move or worse if you consider the talent USC gets at skill positions.

                                                        Iowa State, Purdue, SMU, and Maryland are all possible good teams to poach from though as we should be able to offer more and each has a Top 15 or better passing attack with the exception of Iowa State.

                                                        Memphis' WR coach might be another good option, they're 22nd in passing yards and they have not one but two receivers in the Top 50 in yards with one being #3. His name is David Glidden, he's pretty young too, former player at Oklahoma State:
                                                        https://gotigersgo.com/sports/footba...d-glidden/2034

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                          There are some fans that never got over the fact Rees was QB when there were higher recruited guys were on the roster. We saw some of those guys implode like Crist and Hendrix, we lose that 2013 USC game if Rees doesn't play the 1st half (Among other games he bailed us out). I don't think anyone seriously believes he was the greatest QB to suit up for the Irish, but he obviously has a great head for the game and his preparation was second to none. Some of that was imparted onto Book, and it showed. With the exception of 2012 when Golson was playing well, Tommy was legitimately the best QB we had from 2010-2013 and some people never grasped that.

                                                          There certainly can be a case made that he was a young hire, but there are plenty of young hires that have done well. Charlie Weis Jr was putting up good points with Kiffin at FAU and he' s a year younger than Tommy. This year hasn't been as great since he took the South Florida job, but they've also faced three Top 25 teams already in BYU, Florida, and SMU. Tommy has a pretty good resume though: he destroyed a very good Iowa State team was very stingy on defense and could have won the Big 12 that year, he beat #1 Clemson no matter how you slice it, got to the playoff in his first full season, and now we have an unfortunate situation with the OL that is stymieing our entire offense. People want Rees' head because they still have axes to grind, but we're certainly better at the wheel now with Tommy than we were with Long. The OL has to get fixed one way or another, nobody is going to be consistently scoring points with this offense until that gets fixed. I'd like to see the WRs group step up too, but we saw last year that Rees was able to find ways to score without as much production from them.
                                                          I think trying to say fans that are critical of Tommy is because of his QB play years ago is misleading. Are there instances of that? I would probably say so. But I don't think that is the main concern.

                                                          I think the people see Tommy as a convenient hire that was taking a significant risk. We have seen that work out well, like Clark Lea. Sometimes it hasn't worked out well, like Quinn at the moment. I think Tommy could end up being an elite OC. I don't think he is there yet, from recruiting to in-game adjustments, he has shown his youth. But I don't think that is a Tommy sucks criticism, but rather he needs time to season as an OC. I personally don't think he should be doing that at ND. At the end of the day, it's BK's call though. I just think that waiting for Tommy to fully develop is like playing Phil over Book. Both are good, one might have a higher ceiling than another, but the floor is lower too. If we didn't do that at the QB position, why would we do it at the OC position?

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                            I just really don't understand the Rees hate. The offense improved mightily when he replaced Long, and I just don't see a bunch of scheme issues. I see personnel issues, and yeah... QB is a part of that... but for certain it isn't the biggest part.

                                                            I do understand the Quinn hate.
                                                            Quinn has done better than Rees in the last 2 years. His unit last year was top 3 in football. Whereas Rees' unit (the whole offense and the QBs) has stunk for 2 years for multiple reasons.

                                                            He also is not a good enough recruiter.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post

                                                              I think trying to say fans that are critical of Tommy is because of his QB play years ago is misleading. Are there instances of that? I would probably say so. But I don't think that is the main concern.

                                                              I think the people see Tommy as a convenient hire that was taking a significant risk. We have seen that work out well, like Clark Lea. Sometimes it hasn't worked out well, like Quinn at the moment. I think Tommy could end up being an elite OC. I don't think he is there yet, from recruiting to in-game adjustments, he has shown his youth. But I don't think that is a Tommy sucks criticism, but rather he needs time to season as an OC. I personally don't think he should be doing that at ND. At the end of the day, it's BK's call though. I just think that waiting for Tommy to fully develop is like playing Phil over Book. Both are good, one might have a higher ceiling than another, but the floor is lower too. If we didn't do that at the QB position, why would we do it at the OC position?
                                                              Age and experience don't always mean a coach will be an exceptional or even better coordinator. Brian VanGorder is 62 years old, need I say anything more?

                                                              I do sincerely believe that some people still have an axe to grind with Rees, because some of the same posters here that were critical of him 8 years ago still have no love lost.
                                                              Tommy has done quite well given the circumstances and I think he can only improve. If I thought it would be value added to let him go now I would say pull the plug, but we've seen he can put together good game plans when we've had the right players in place, and we've also seen he's able to manufacture offense when we're struggling at one position like WR last year. Can't really fault him for the OL though, you're just not going to be consistently successful on offense if you're not controlling the trenches. For that reason until the OL gets fixed I think he needs to get a pass.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

                                                                Sure, I think it's pretty obvious though that I'm talking about the RPO's Rees is calling since that was a list of grievances against his scheme.
                                                                Again those aren’t RPOs.

                                                                Not going to get into the Xs and Os of the stuffed up read options but the problem is the interior OL not a unblocked DE for 99% of them.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                                  Can't really fault him for the OL though, you're just not going to be consistently successful on offense if you're not controlling the trenches. For that reason until the OL gets fixed I think he needs to get a pass.
                                                                  Isn't the OC responsible for the O-line?
                                                                  If ND had the experienced OC it should have had that looming O-line disaster is spotted last year and something gets done about it.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

                                                                    Isn't the OC responsible for the O-line?
                                                                    If ND had the experienced OC it should have had that looming O-line disaster is spotted last year and something gets done about it.
                                                                    To some extent, just as much as Kelly is in charge of the entire team and not just one group. The bulk of the responsibility lies with Quinn though. That's his group and they are woefully under-performing. Part of it was the loss of Big Fish, but truthfully if we were recruiting well each year we shouldn't have to start a true freshman on the OL. Our current group couldn't beat him out though, and thankfully he was as ready as he could be...just not for the injury that was to come.

                                                                    Across the board it's been pretty much an awful show. Madden hasn't graded as well as he did at his previous stop. Lugg has been up and down. Patterson was getting pushed back into our backfield against Cincinnati along with other interior linemen. The left side has been a rotating group of guys as we try to find some stability. It's a cluster fuck and I'm not sure how we're going to find a way to get better this year. Quinn has to go either way. We've seen little improvement if any. Honestly it feels like he's been living off Harry's riches a bit and the gold is gone.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                      I just really don't understand the Rees hate. The offense improved mightily when he replaced Long, and I just don't see a bunch of scheme issues. I see personnel issues, and yeah... QB is a part of that... but for certain it isn't the biggest part.

                                                                      I do understand the Quinn hate.
                                                                      One of my biggest problems with Tommy Is that he is very consistent. He playing calling is very generic and lacks any creativity. Some times when I am watching it’s like playing play station . You find 8-10 plays that work and you could flip in to the other side of the field and hav success. That doesn’t happen in real life.

                                                                      With the amount of snaps Avery Davis has played I don’t remember him doing any end around or an end around with a fake throw. He has the ability and has been pretty reliable for us.

                                                                      I am not sure why we don’t use our other tight ends more. Instead of having Willams or Tyree block bring in another tight end In. Motion them next to the QB to help with pass protection than you could have back available earlier.

                                                                      When we can sit at the game or in our recliners at home and know what is coming you know the other staffs do.

                                                                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                        I just really don't understand the Rees hate. The offense improved mightily when he replaced Long, and I just don't see a bunch of scheme issues. I see personnel issues, and yeah... QB is a part of that... but for certain it isn't the biggest part.

                                                                        I do understand the Quinn hate.
                                                                        I don't either, but I guess some want a TD on every play. Everyone raved about his calling against Iowa St and Clemson. He's the same guy as he was then. He's been hamstrung by the O-line, so he's limited on what he can call and the drops aren't his fault. If the line plays average and Austin is the Chosen One as many thought he would be and Lenzy steps up, no one is talking about Tommy. I'm fine letting Quinn go and even Alexander, but not Tommy.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                          I just really don't understand the Rees hate. The offense improved mightily when he replaced Long, and I just don't see a bunch of scheme issues. I see personnel issues, and yeah... QB is a part of that... but for certain it isn't the biggest part.

                                                                          I do understand the Quinn hate.
                                                                          I guess I don't understand how you could put everything on Quinn and not at least question Rees' performance. I'll make a few assumptions here but I assume Rees was on board with Coan transferring in. I'll also assume that was partially because he wasn't too happy with what he had in the QB room. A group that he was instrumental in recruiting as both the QB coach and then the OC/QB coach. After going through Spring and Fall camps and 5 games, it became apparent the guy he thought was the best option, wasn't and is now being replaced. I think ND has failed to capitalize on their run of playoff appearances (2 of 3 years) as far as QB recruiting. Especially when the one piece missing was a stud QB. Who knows. TB may be that piece. He's raw and Tommy can develop him. How that goes will go a long way in determining his success as OC.

                                                                          As far as scheme issues. I think he's done a good job overall. I really don't think it improved "mightily" once he took over (maybe stats back up that claim) but he did very well last year (as did Quinn's group). The problem with this year so far is he doesn't seem to have any answers to the problems. Our point total has gone down each game 38, 32, 27, 20 17 and now we're changing QBs. Seems like teams are figuring us out and we have no answers.

                                                                          I'm not saying Tommy deserves to be fired but I do think it's perfectly reasonable to question his performance in the same vein you would the other coaches.
                                                                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

                                                                            Nothing says passion like scheduling Charleston Southern, Troy and Citadel out of conference at home.

                                                                            I must admit, I don't like Penn State, but I couldn't help but smile at Auburn going up there and losing. I doubt Auburn plays a road game that far north for another 100 years.
                                                                            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                              Age and experience don't always mean a coach will be an exceptional or even better coordinator. Brian VanGorder is 62 years old, need I say anything more?

                                                                              I do sincerely believe that some people still have an axe to grind with Rees, because some of the same posters here that were critical of him 8 years ago still have no love lost.
                                                                              Tommy has done quite well given the circumstances and I think he can only improve. If I thought it would be value added to let him go now I would say pull the plug, but we've seen he can put together good game plans when we've had the right players in place, and we've also seen he's able to manufacture offense when we're struggling at one position like WR last year. Can't really fault him for the OL though, you're just not going to be consistently successful on offense if you're not controlling the trenches. For that reason until the OL gets fixed I think he needs to get a pass.
                                                                              There may be some truth to that because I believe there is truth to the fact that some people give him a pass on his hiring and job performance since he played QB at ND. Which is normal of course. I loved the kid as a QB and loved the moxy he showed both on the field and running from the cops. I'm personally rooting for him to be another Lincoln Riley type coach.
                                                                              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • I was fine with Rees the player. He was who he was. He was recruited by Weis and stuck around when he could have easily opted out and transferred. Won some games, lost some games but is a kid that probably maximized the most of what football ability he had.

                                                                                I did not like the OC hire. Having seen what Kelly was able to do by hiring Elko and Long, I felt he had a great opportunity to bring in a dynamic and creative play caller who could also recruit while having Rees as the QB coach knowing Rees had been there (ala Powlus under Weis) and could guide guys through that wilderness. Maybe I got my own hopes up about the direction Kelly would go in hiring an OC, but I felt it was not an exciting hire the way some of the other ones had been previously.

                                                                                I've made my feelings known about Quinn. His lingering around as an analyst was a clear sign he'd be on the staff at some point. I'm glad HE wasn't hired as OC or that would've been cause for a lot of concern. Giving him the keys to the OL was probably "meh" enough.

                                                                                As of today, I am looking at Rees/Quinn/Alexander on that staff in terms of both on field performance and recruiting. I think upgrades can be made there.
                                                                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

                                                                                  Nothing says passion like scheduling Charleston Southern, Troy and Citadel out of conference at home.

                                                                                  I must admit, I don't like Penn State, but I couldn't help but smile at Auburn going up there and losing. I doubt Auburn plays a road game that far north for another 100 years.
                                                                                  The concentration of power in the south via football is the South’s reconciliation and realization of the Lost Cause.
                                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • In no way should Brian Kelly be fired we are lucky to have him but at the end of the day when coaches aren't performing it falls on his lap to make a tough decision. Here our my thoughts.
                                                                                    TOMMY REES
                                                                                    1. I don't see any reason why Rees should be brought up to be replaced. He led our offense last year and put up crazy numbers with what we had. The one area he needs to improve on is recruiting and that is mainly the QB position. Stop going after the not so mobile guys and start going after the fast play making guys. Buchner is a step in the right direction but his arm strength is an area of concern for me. Steven Angeli isn't the answer some may be high on this kid but look at his stats. 59% completion rate this year against high school kids. Also his rushing this year in 6 games is -1. That isn't going to cut it at the college level especially when the OL is crap.

                                                                                    LANCE TAYLOR
                                                                                    2. LANCE TAYLOR- STAYS no need to talk about this guy he had done wonders for this team, his guys can only do so much when once again the OL is crap.

                                                                                    DEL ALEXANDER
                                                                                    3. I've loved what he has done recruiting wise but I believe ND needs to move on from him. There is no reason why guys like Austin should be dropping wide open balls. And another area of concern is 5 guys transfering in the last year. Why does ND struggle to get Freshman on the field when teams like Bama and LSU and Ohio State have no issues. This need to change.

                                                                                    Jeff QUINN.

                                                                                    4. He needs to be gone yesterday. Don't sit there and tell me oh it's a rebuilding year which is bull crap. You brought in all american Cain Madden from Marshall and the dude has looked the worst in his career.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

                                                                                      One of my biggest problems with Tommy Is that he is very consistent. He playing calling is very generic and lacks any creativity. Some times when I am watching it’s like playing play station . You find 8-10 plays that work and you could flip in to the other side of the field and hav success. That doesn’t happen in real life.

                                                                                      With the amount of snaps Avery Davis has played I don’t remember him doing any end around or an end around with a fake throw. He has the ability and has been pretty reliable for us.

                                                                                      I am not sure why we don’t use our other tight ends more. Instead of having Willams or Tyree block bring in another tight end In. Motion them next to the QB to help with pass protection than you could have back available earlier.

                                                                                      When we can sit at the game or in our recliners at home and know what is coming you know the other staffs do.
                                                                                      You’d be surprised how few plays the offenses you like are running.

                                                                                      So Rees lacks creativity because an insanely obvious trick play hasn’t been run? It also has been run once.

                                                                                      Takacs is always on the field. He’s blocking on most plays. Putting them next to the QB would just give a lineman a running start at the blocks he’s already been attempting to make

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by NDFAN2008 View Post
                                                                                        In no way should Brian Kelly be fired we are lucky to have him but at the end of the day when coaches aren't performing it falls on his lap to make a tough decision. Here our my thoughts.
                                                                                        TOMMY REES
                                                                                        1. I don't see any reason why Rees should be brought up to be replaced. He led our offense last year and put up crazy numbers with what we had. The one area he needs to improve on is recruiting and that is mainly the QB position. Stop going after the not so mobile guys and start going after the fast play making guys. Buchner is a step in the right direction but his arm strength is an area of concern for me. Steven Angeli isn't the answer some may be high on this kid but look at his stats. 59% completion rate this year against high school kids. Also his rushing this year in 6 games is -1. That isn't going to cut it at the college level especially when the OL is crap.

                                                                                        LANCE TAYLOR
                                                                                        2. LANCE TAYLOR- STAYS no need to talk about this guy he had done wonders for this team, his guys can only do so much when once again the OL is crap.

                                                                                        DEL ALEXANDER
                                                                                        3. I've loved what he has done recruiting wise but I believe ND needs to move on from him. There is no reason why guys like Austin should be dropping wide open balls. And another area of concern is 5 guys transfering in the last year. Why does ND struggle to get Freshman on the field when teams like Bama and LSU and Ohio State have no issues. This need to change.

                                                                                        Jeff QUINN.

                                                                                        4. He needs to be gone yesterday. Don't sit there and tell me oh it's a rebuilding year which is bull crap. You brought in all american Cain Madden from Marshall and the dude has looked the worst in his career.
                                                                                        I just don't get this take. Last year you say Rees led the offense to crazy numbers. Here is what PFF said about ND's Offensive Line:

                                                                                        1. NOTRE DAME

                                                                                        Not only does Notre Dame have the best offensive line of the 2020 college football season, but it also has one of the best offensive lines we have seen in the PFF College era.


                                                                                        So Rees gets credit for the offense last year when the OL was an elite unit but this year gets zero blame for the offensive woes when the OL is poor? Does Quinn get zero credit for producing the lines performance last year? You also admit the QB recruiting has not been great. He's been in charge of the position for 5 years. Quinn also gets blamed for Cain Madden playing worse now than when he was at Marshall. Well, Jack Coan started 18 games for Wisconsin and led them to a Rose Bowl but has looked worse in Rees' offense.


                                                                                        "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by NDRock View Post

                                                                                          I just don't get this take. Last year you say Rees led the offense to crazy numbers. Here is what PFF said about ND's Offensive Line:

                                                                                          1. NOTRE DAME

                                                                                          Not only does Notre Dame have the best offensive line of the 2020 college football season, but it also has one of the best offensive lines we have seen in the PFF College era.


                                                                                          So Rees gets credit for the offense last year when the OL was an elite unit but this year gets zero blame for the offensive woes when the OL is poor? Does Quinn get zero credit for producing the lines performance last year? You also admit the QB recruiting has not been great. He's been in charge of the position for 5 years. Quinn also gets blamed for Cain Madden playing worse now than when he was at Marshall. Well, Jack Coan started 18 games for Wisconsin and led them to a Rose Bowl but has looked worse in Rees' offense.

                                                                                          Your missing the point. Most of the entire OL last year were Harry's guys and still went to him in the off season to get coaching. This has been known. Coan looked good at Wisconsin because he actually had a good OL to protect him. The whole narrative behind this is the OL is piss poor. If you improve the OL play the QB play is better and most likely the WR's look better because you don't have has many guys staying behind blocking.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by NDFAN2008 View Post

                                                                                            Your missing the point. Most of the entire OL last year were Harry's guys and still went to him in the off season to get coaching. This has been known. Coan looked good at Wisconsin because he actually had a good OL to protect him. The whole narrative behind this is the OL is piss poor. If you improve the OL play the QB play is better and most likely the WR's look better because you don't have has many guys staying behind blocking.
                                                                                            I'm not defending Quinn, the OL is on him. I just don't know how Rees gets zero blame. Any decent OC is going to put up points with a 5th year QB and a top 5 OL like we had last year. This year our OL is poor and we've not done a great job scheming around it. The QB position as a whole might be the weakest on the offense and that is partially on Rees as he's been the position coach for 5 years. At least there are some young OL that I think will be in the NFL one day, I don't see anyone in the QB room or future recruits that I would say the same about. We had to bring in a guy who got beat out at Wisconsin to be our QB. Why is that? It's either a recruiting failure or developmental failure. Same as the OL problems this year. We'll see how he develops the position going forward. I'm more willing to give him a pass this year than Quinn but in no way is he without blame.
                                                                                            "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by NDFAN2008 View Post

                                                                                              Your missing the point. Most of the entire OL last year were Harry's guys and still went to him in the off season to get coaching. This has been known. Coan looked good at Wisconsin because he actually had a good OL to protect him. The whole narrative behind this is the OL is piss poor. If you improve the OL play the QB play is better and most likely the WR's look better because you don't have has many guys staying behind blocking.
                                                                                              WHOA. Is this for real? I seriously didn't know this, but if it's true this is pretty telling of a deficiency in Quinn's coaching if they're seeking out Harry for more instruction. It also explains why there wasn't much fall off immediately after Harry left. Quinn has been living on borrowed time if this is true.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                                                WHOA. Is this for real? I seriously didn't know this, but if it's true this is pretty telling of a deficiency in Quinn's coaching if they're seeking out Harry for more instruction. It also explains why there wasn't much fall off immediately after Harry left. Quinn has been living on borrowed time if this is true.
                                                                                                depends on who you ask. This has been a big topic over the last few days

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                                                  WHOA. Is this for real? I seriously didn't know this, but if it's true this is pretty telling of a deficiency in Quinn's coaching if they're seeking out Harry for more instruction. It also explains why there wasn't much fall off immediately after Harry left. Quinn has been living on borrowed time if this is true.
                                                                                                  I agree this is the most alarming revelation. If true, Quinn needs to go. If false, I will side with Aaron Taylor as he probably has a better perspective on what it takes to field a new offensive line then anyone on this board.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Honest question, how crazy is it for OLmen to seek out private coaching during the Summer? Quarterbacks have been doing it for years. I do think it’s a bad look if it was the former OL coach at the school (Hiestand) and done on the down low. I’m assuming players can’t be working with their position coaches at the school during the off season. Are all positions moving towards the QB model? Do WRs look for specific coaches during the off-season?
                                                                                                    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                                                                                                      Honest question, how crazy is it for OLmen to seek out private coaching during the Summer? Quarterbacks have been doing it for years. I do think it’s a bad look if it was the former OL coach at the school (Hiestand) and done on the down low. I’m assuming players can’t be working with their position coaches at the school during the off season. Are all positions moving towards the QB model? Do WRs look for specific coaches during the off-season?
                                                                                                      Good points.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X