Brian Kelly Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T Town Tommy View Post
    I recommended renaming this thread a while back to BK Reinvented. He has done a masterful job of elevating the program to where it is today. Can’t blame those posters that wanted to go in a different direction… it’s simply placed on their desire to see their team succeed. It’s ok, in hindsight to maybe be on the wrong side of the discussion but it’s never ok to lose the desire. Guys like GK never lost their desire and that, in the end, is what truly matters.
    Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you post in quite a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you post in quite a while.
      Just been extremely busy with work the last six months or so. Saw where you got a commitment on Moore so I thought I would check in on my Irish friends. For the record, I think Moore is underrated. Hope you’re doing well.

Comment

• I think unless the offense makes big leaps forward this season BK should pulls strings and line Rees up a head coaching job at Grand Valley State or somewhere similar. I think Rees needs to take that sort of career path. Grand Valley > Central Michigan > Michigan > Cincinatti > ND.

Comment

• If ur a power 5 OC and you take a D2 HC ur on crazy pills
          Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
            I think unless the offense makes big leaps forward this season BK should pulls strings and line Rees up a head coaching job at Grand Valley State or somewhere similar. I think Rees needs to take that sort of career path. Grand Valley > Central Michigan > Michigan > Cincinatti > ND.
            Tommy could get many FCS jobs tomorrow. No need to go D2.
            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
              If ur a power 5 OC and you take a D2 HC ur on crazy pills
              Well maybe BK can pull strings at Central Michigan then, point is Rees was probably promoted too quick.

Comment

I think unless the offense makes big leaps forward this season BK should pulls strings and line Rees up a head coaching job at Grand Valley State or somewhere similar. I think Rees needs to take that sort of career path. Grand Valley > Central Michigan > Michigan > Cincinatti > ND.
                You think all at the same time, Rees is a future ND caliber HC, presently not a ND caliber OC, and presently couldn’t land better than GVSU without strings being pulled?

Comment

• To the crazies out there..
                  You do realize Tommy hasn't had a full season yet and has only has one spring camp, right?
                  Let's give him a minutes
                  (this post is coming from a non-crazy skeptic too)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

You think all at the same time, Rees is a future ND caliber HC, presently not a ND caliber OC, and presently couldn’t land better than GVSU without strings being pulled?
                    LOL, glad Im not the only won who didn't think this plan was well thought out.
                    " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

• Tommy hasn't even finished his first cup of coffee. I remember how everyone was excited with his game plan after the Iowa St. bowl game. Now he needs to go because he was taught a lesson by a couple of veteran DC's who have made many OC's look bad? Looks like some growing pains IMO. Let's see how he does this year before.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                        To the crazies out there..
                        You do realize Tommy hasn't had a full season yet and has only has one spring camp, right?
                        Let's give him a minutes
                        Unless his recruiting improves its not going to matter how good of a coach he is or isn't.

Comment

Idk what I'm missing with these Rees skeptics.

In his first year as OC, he led the Irish to a top 30 offense in both YPG (No. 26) and PPG (No. 30), with obvious limitations at both the WR position and, to a degree, Ian Book's inability to attack downfield (which go hand in hand, IMO). Obviously the WR group was limited by injuries to Austin and Lenzy, and by no means were they terrible.

Not to mention the fact that for YEARS, many of the IE "pundits" have been clamoring for ND to RTDB, and Rees did exactly that (No. 26 in rushing O).

The dude is 29 years old, and had to do his job for the first time amid all of the COVID restrictions that eliminated Spring ball and offseason programs leading up to Fall Camp.

From what we can tell, if you read the articles and interviews that are out there, his work ethic is off the charts (as it should be at this level). He watches hundreds of hours of film self evaluating himself and researching ways to open up the offense and intends to do so.

There is always room for improvement, but to call his first year a failure is simply way off the mark.

I think BK 3.0 deserves the benefit of the doubt with this hire. He did a great job revamping our D with the Elko/Lea hires and convinced Freeman to come here with heavy interest from LSU, scUM, etc, so let's not pretend him hiring Rees was a crony hire.
                          My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Isolate the variable. I "thank Book for his service" but relieved he has moved on

Comment

• Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post
                              Isolate the variable. I "thank Book for his service" but relieved he has moved on
                              I'm not sure I would go that far; my above comment regarding Book isn't implying I wasn't a fan of #12. He had his limitations attacking the field vertically and didn't have great pocket presence, but he did a lot of things really, really well. Extremely accurate in the short to intermediate game, plus athleticism and really good improvisation skills.

He was a high floor, low ceiling guy to lead the offense and helped us win a TON of games. It wasn't an accident that he was the winningest QB in ND history, and he led us to two playoff berths in his three years. Give credit where credit is due. EDIT: Book also played with some very solid ND defenses over those years, to be sure. But mediocre QBs aren't going to earn that record, IMO.

My point is, I think Rees did a solid job of running this offense to Book's strengths. To ask him to chuck the ball downfield to Ben S or Javon McKinley 15 times a game wouldn't have led to the same success we had offensively last year.
                              Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 07-13-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

Idk what I'm missing with these Rees skeptics.

In his first year as OC, he led the Irish to a top 30 offense in both YPG (No. 26) and PPG (No. 30), with obvious limitations at both the WR position and, to a degree, Ian Book's inability to attack downfield (which go hand in hand, IMO). Obviously the WR group was limited by injuries to Austin and Lenzy, and by no means were they terrible.

Not to mention the fact that for YEARS, many of the IE "pundits" have been clamoring for ND to RTDB, and Rees did exactly that (No. 26 in rushing O).

The dude is 29 years old, and had to do his job for the first time amid all of the COVID restrictions that eliminated Spring ball and offseason programs leading up to Fall Camp.

From what we can tell, if you read the articles and interviews that are out there, his work ethic is off the charts (as it should be at this level). He watches hundreds of hours of film self evaluating himself and researching ways to open up the offense and intends to do so.

There is always room for improvement, but to call his first year a failure is simply way off the mark.

I think BK 3.0 deserves the benefit of the doubt with this hire. He did a great job revamping our D with the Elko/Lea hires and convinced Freeman to come here with heavy interest from LSU, scUM, etc, so let's not pretend him hiring Rees was a crony hire.
                                None of this is relevant in my opinion.
                                The only question is
                                "is he the best OC we can get for right now since:
                                1. we have maybe a really promising 2/3 year window with BK and Freeman and
                                2. we are about number 4 trying to become number 1 ASAP?"
                                The chances that he happens to be the best OC we can get for 22,23,24 is extremely low as I see it given his youth, his runs on the board (this may be an Australian/cricket term) and his recruiting efforts so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                  To the crazies out there..
                                  Let's give him a minutes
                                  Just get the best OC.
                                  Is Tommy the best OC we can get right now?

BK doesnt have a "minute".

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

I dont think he could land GVSU right now at all even with BKs help since they have a great winning coach according to WIKI.
                                    And my point is I dont think Tommy is a right now ND callibre OC FOR RIGHT NOW given the ND circumstances.

Comment

• I also dont really trust BKs judgement about Tommy for various reasons.

Comment

• Chances are there is a Chicago Bears part time coach who could get the job tomorrow, slip Rees to QB coach, take the recruiting to the next level and win us a ship.

Comment

None of this is relevant in my opinion.
                                          The only question is
                                          "is he the best OC we can get for right now since:
                                          1. we have maybe a really promising 2/3 year window with BK and Freeman and
                                          2. we are about number 4 trying to become number 1 ASAP?"
                                          The chances that he happens to be the best OC we can get for 22,23,24 is extremely low as I see it given his youth, his runs on the board (this may be an Australian/cricket term) and his recruiting efforts so far.
                                          If he's not the best OC we can get, who is? Off what are you basing your opinion that he's not the best OC for Notre Dame right now?

I'm curious what the offense would have needed to do last year to convince you not to already write Rees off. Book had well documented limitations, we started the year with RB as question mark, we started a true freshman at TE, and Austin, Lenzy, Keys all missed over half the season with injury. Our clear strength was the offensive line, and we leaned into that for a top 25 offense. It wasn't particularly explosive and showed poorly in the last 2 games of the season, but given the personnel available I can't reasonably imagine a much more effective offense, regardless of the coordinator.

It doesn't seem to me like Tommy is content to run a limited, run-heavy offense either. We brought in 2 QBs this spring (Coan and Buchner) who have the arm talent to open up the offense more than we did with Book.

As for recruiting - for all the (deserved) hype Freeman has been getting for his recruiting efforts, it's worth remembering that:
                                          1. in the 2020 + 2021 classes for which Tommy was OC at some point in the recruiting calendar, ND landed 14 top 300 players on offense and 4 on defense
                                          2. when CJ Williams commits as expected we will have 6 top 300 offensive commitments and 6 top 300 defensive commitments in the 2022 class, the highest rated of which will be CJ Williams.

I do think Freeman is an elite recruiter and his track record suggests he's also an elite coordinator, but I don't think any of Rees' recruiting efforts or offensive results in 1 year + 1 game of sample size suggest he can't be either. Freeman's first defense at Cincy in 2017 was outside the top 80 in team defense and look where he is now...maybe give Rees another season before calling for him to be replaced

Comment

• Originally posted by General Colon Bowel View Post
                                            If he's not the best OC we can get, who is? Off what are you basing your opinion that he's not the best OC for Notre Dame right now?
                                            I dont know who we can get but Tom Herman would be gettable.

The only reason to trust he is the right guy is that BK must believe that. What else has he done? His best achievment is to recruit Buchner. All the QB play under him was pretty ordinary and last years offense was ordinary (except against Clemson he will always have that).
                                            Last edited by T-Boone; 07-14-2021, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Venables got Tommy in the CCG, but people forget that Tommy got Venables in the first game. BK sees something in Tommy. I doubt he would risk it if he thought Tommy was primarily going to be learning on the job.

Comment

Chances are there is a Chicago Bears part time coach who could get the job tomorrow, slip Rees to QB coach, take the recruiting to the next level and win us a ship.
                                                Lol. A part time coach? Like an analyst?

And have you seen the Bears offense? Not exactly a staff I'd be poaching for an OC job.

What a take.

Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                I also dont really trust BKs judgement about Tommy for various reasons.
                                                Okay...what are your reasons?
                                                Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 07-14-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• I’ll never understand the Tom Herman stans

If he was that great of a coach, who could single handily elevate the O to a national championship level, I’d think he would have done better with Ehlinger, not have a QB who essentially mirrored Book’s career.

Comment

Chances are there is a Chicago Bears part time coach who could get the job tomorrow, slip Rees to QB coach, take the recruiting to the next level and win us a ship.
                                                    I know Nagy is a bum, but calling him a part time coach isn't fair

Comment

• I've been impressed with what Tommy has done given the circumstances of the pandemic, dismantling an Iowa State team that fielded a very impressive defense that season (Even if we deserved a better bowl), and managed to win out in the regular season despite the fact we were clearly struggling at the WR position. I'll fight anyone who challenges the Reesus!

Comment

• Out of curiosity, how old is BK? I’ve not been his biggest supporter, and I know I’m not alone. But, I wonder if he looks at Saban and thinks why not me? Maybe this BK can be a legend as well? I know time isn’t on his side, but he has accomplished more than many expected and he’s not done.

Does he look at his accomplishments and think man we can still get there, or is he looking for his exit? I’d like to think that he’s still aggressive and wants the highest of highs, but where is he mentally?

I’ll eat my shoes if he wins a Natty. Hell, I’ll eat your shoes! The time is now, be it now, 22’, or 24’, ND is on to something! It can’t be anything less. I’m sure we will talk for days about how it could’ve been, and who’s next. But I personally feel the stars are aligning and we WILL enjoy the top one more time!!!

Comment

• He’ll be 60 this year so it wouldn’t be unusual for him to coach 5 to 10 more years as long as he’s got his health and competitive fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
                                                            Out of curiosity, how old is BK? I’ve not been his biggest supporter, and I know I’m not alone. But, I wonder if he looks at Saban and thinks why not me? Maybe this BK can be a legend as well? I know time isn’t on his side, but he has accomplished more than many expected and he’s not done.

Does he look at his accomplishments and think man we can still get there, or is he looking for his exit? I’d like to think that he’s still aggressive and wants the highest of highs, but where is he mentally?

I’ll eat my shoes if he wins a Natty. Hell, I’ll eat your shoes! The time is now, be it now, 22’, or 24’, ND is on to something! It can’t be anything less. I’m sure we will talk for days about how it could’ve been, and who’s next. But I personally feel the stars are aligning and we WILL enjoy the top one more time!!!
                                                            Looking at all of the changes and improvements over the last few years tells me he's not looking for the exit yet. Will he leave "exit stage left" if he wins a natty? I suspect he will.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
                                                              Out of curiosity, how old is BK? I’ve not been his biggest supporter, and I know I’m not alone. But, I wonder if he looks at Saban and thinks why not me? Maybe this BK can be a legend as well? I know time isn’t on his side, but he has accomplished more than many expected and he’s not done.

When he hired Marcus Freeman, he was quoted saying to Freeman "Let's close that gap," as in "Let's catch up to OSU, Clemson and Alabama." He told Freeman in his interview that he's sick of getting to the big stage and losing to the giants.

He's all in. He knows he has us up to the highest tier below those three giants, but he wants to get the job done here. If you've seen the past 4 seasons, he's all in.

Comment

• In case this didn't get dropped into another thread. I didn't see BK or Tommy's threads bumped.

This would get a 10 even from a Russian judge in the 80's.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post
                                                                  In case this didn't get dropped into another thread. I didn't see BK or Tommy's threads bumped.

This would get a 10 even from a Russian judge in the 80's.

Haha, it actually was dropped in the fall camp thread. It had....mixed reviews. Personally, I got a kick out of it

Comment

• Media is already trying to stoke the flames on Kelly's joke during the post-game, I saw Chris Fowler and other talking heads commenting about it. FWIW, his players appreciated the joke.

Comment

• Fucking morons really are making a big deal out of that line.
                                                                      60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• I am not a Kelly defender at all, but anyone who thinks that was anything more than a failed attempt at being glib and funny at the same time is a complete tool. Overreaction culture can’t be tolerated.

Comment

• Cannot believe the posts coming out about this…”Brian Kelly is the last coach that should joke about executing players when he was actually involved in murdering a student”. Holy shit!!!

Comment

• People talking about this as opposed to the defense, the performance, etc. is a good thing. I think he was trying to be funny and not necessarily trying to deflect criciticism away from others and onto himself, but whatever his intent, people are talking about this and it's taking attention away from other things.
                                                                            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• "I WOULD HAVE TAKEN MY HELMET OFF TOO!!"
                                                                              How can anyone not think this guy is funny?

Comment

• The one that pissed me off the most was Chris Fowler. "It's not funny to make any execution joke about your team when they just won a tough game in a tough environment." Essentially saying that BK is being too tough and doing it in a bad way.

COMPLETELY IGNORING THE REST OF THE INTERVIEW WHEN HE TALKS ABOUT HOW WELL THEY PLAYED EARLY IN THE GAME AND HOW HE LOVES HIS TEAM.

Fuck Chris Fowler and his Colorado-Bone-to-Pick-Ass

Comment

• Great summary. On to Toledo.
                                                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Twitter has really become a place where sports hosts sift through their timelines to take the compassionate side against any risky tweet. It’s bizarre behavior. Cool to disagree without making a show of it
                                                                                    .

Comment

• That he was referencing John McKay's comment in Florida went over most people's heads as I am guessing 98% of the audience have no idea who McKay was.

As the TB Bucs coach, when asked by a reporter about his team's execution..... McKay replied "I am in favor of it."

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                        The one that pissed me off the most was Chris Fowler. "It's not funny to make any execution joke about your team when they just won a tough game in a tough environment." Essentially saying that BK is being too tough and doing it in a bad way.

COMPLETELY IGNORING THE REST OF THE INTERVIEW WHEN HE TALKS ABOUT HOW WELL THEY PLAYED EARLY IN THE GAME AND HOW HE LOVES HIS TEAM.

Fuck Chris Fowler and his Colorado-Bone-to-Pick-Ass

Comment

• Executing your team for a game they won is kind of peak 2021 too.

I agree that the joke likely went over just about everyone's heads at first until Joe T. explained it right after.

I honestly don't see anyone really making an issue of it. Seems like it already faded away into the news cycle, and good for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                            Great summary. On to Toledo.
                                                                                            It triggers the same nonexistant persons offended by our mascot. Just more clickbait bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

It triggers the same nonexistant persons offended by our mascot. Just more clickbait bullshit.
                                                                                              Right. Nothing to see here. There never was.

Comment

• Comment

• I’m in favor of this entire thread being executed

Comment

• Kelly rules idc what anyone says. Past few years he makes me laugh a lot.
                                                                                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• One of the team captains apologized to Coach Kelly:

https://youtu.be/ttPwA8hitoY

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X