Brian Kelly Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
    What about Driskel saying Ryan Day ahead of BK. Give me a break.
    Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

Driskel's a whore. I wish some other school would buy his fandom/coverage
    It's because Ohio State throws the ball deep down the field at a rate that Driskell approves of. That's literally all you have to do to impress him right now because of his anti-Rees stance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

Driskel's a whore. I wish some other school would buy his fandom/coverage
      Yes, he's a cheap whore too.

And welcome to the board. Or is it welcome back?
      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Yes, he's a cheap whore too.

And welcome to the board. Or is it welcome back?

Comment

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• There is surely a reason why Driskell isn't being paid to coach right now.
            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Beginning is all Wiltfong and Lemming on BK and recruiting:

https://www.ndinsider.com/recruiting...ae240758b.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                Beginning is all Wiltfong and Lemming on BK and recruiting:

https://www.ndinsider.com/recruiting...ae240758b.html
                That was a fun read. Awesome to hear the staff is in a great position the next couple of classes. From what I've read, Freeman has been hitting the trail HARD since his arrival in SB.
                My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

That was a fun read. Awesome to hear the staff is in a great position the next couple of classes. From what I've read, Freeman has been hitting the trail HARD since his arrival in SB.
                  Give that man a supply of amphetamines and stimulants.
                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• https://247sports.com/college/notre-...eld-164034346/

This doesn’t sound like the Kelly we all know and love lol. I don’t think I have ever heard him say these things before.
                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                      https://247sports.com/college/notre-...eld-164034346/

This doesn’t sound like the Kelly we all know and love lol. I don’t think I have ever heard him say these things before.
                      1. Part of BK continuing to reinvent himself?
                      2. Saw how productive a couple of freshmen were?
                      3. Most talented freshman class means better shot at playing time?
                      4. All of the above?

Comment

• Mike Singer dropped some gold on the local SB radio station today. Said that the whole football department from top to bottom is on a whole different level. They’ve all bought into the same mission of winning a national championship and it apparently came off to the recruits very well. They had the feeling that ND is going to get a championship real soon. Great to hear the staff crushing it on these visits.
                        Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                          Mike Singer dropped some gold on the local SB radio station today. Said that the whole football department from top to bottom is on a whole different level. They’ve all bought into the same mission of winning a national championship and it apparently came off to the recruits very well. They had the feeling that ND is going to get a championship real soon. Great to hear the staff crushing it on these visits.
                          This is awesome, but begs the questions - why did it take 11 years for everyone to decide a natty would be nice? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                            This is awesome, but begs the questions - why did it take 11 years for everyone to decide a natty would be nice? lol
                            Had to let a few of the elderly move on

Comment

• BK finally bought in to the most important thing in CFB. It's Jimmy's & Joe's, not X's & O's.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                BK finally bought in to the most important thing in CFB. It's Jimmy's & Joe's, not X's & O's.
                                King Kelly showing old dogs learn new tricks let's goooo
                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Time to earn a statue.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                    I think the major area was BK figuring out how to maneuver all of the restrictions and building relationships with those that hold the power. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
                                      Time to earn a statue.
                                      Originally posted by Irish#1
                                      I think the major area was BK figuring out how to maneuver all of the restrictions and building relationships with those that hold the power. Rome wasn't built in a day.
                                      At this point a championship really is all that Kelly is missing to earn a statue. Hell, if he can maintain the level of success he's achieved the last 4 years he will have basically earned one for bringing ND back to the national discussion again. We may have fallen short in the championship games, but truthfully there is that upper echelon of 'Bama, Clemson, and tOSU and nobody else really comes close. Kelly has to be commended in some form for rebuilding this program to a contender despite the restrictions and limitations. When you look at what he and Jack have built they've left the program in much better condition than when they first came in.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

At this point a championship really is all that Kelly is missing to earn a statue.
                                        Shit, I'd take a major bowl victory at this point...

Comment

• Comment

• Some good stuff in the interview. This grabbed me, re: how well Freeman is doing. Kelly was talking about how everyone is raving about Freeman's recruiting and he was agreeing with that, but also saying that the coaching chops are there, too:

I think more than anything else, which you don’t see but I think we’ll see in the fall, is that he has a great connection with the players, and they trust them, they believe in him. He’s intelligent. So when he speaks, there’s not a rah-rah to it. I don’t want to make comparisons, but there’s the depth of a Clark Lea with the energy that is infectious. That plays well, especially with 18- to 21-year-olds.

Comment

• Great interview on the athletic. Really enjoyable and I hope Kelly gets a title before he retires. He's done so much for the program to get them back into real competition.

Comment

Great interview on the athletic. Really enjoyable and I hope Kelly gets a title before he retires. He's done so much for the program to get them back into real competition.
                                                He really has. I don't understand the BK haters at all anymore. Not after what he's done these past four years, reinventing himself and this program.

Comment

He really has. I don't understand the BK haters at all anymore. Not after what he's done these past four years, reinventing himself and this program.
                                                  I was a massive BK Out guy starting about 2014. I have no qualms about it. That being said since the 2016 season, the turnaround of the football program has been immense. Id love to get an insiders honest assessment of the things that changed.

Comment

I was a massive BK Out guy starting about 2014. I have no qualms about it. That being said since the 2016 season, the turnaround of the football program has been immense. Id love to get an insiders honest assessment of the things that changed.
                                                    Per the article, I think part of it was the recruiting. Particularly the negatives schools use against ND. It reads like BK uses those as a positive and makes them part of the process during visits.

I'm going to toot my own horn here.

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

He also mentioned this in the article.
                                                    But it’s not just with Father John and Jack. It’s with Admissions. It’s with the Dean of Students. It’s with the Provost Office. It’s really all of those pieces. If we’re struggling with admissions and if housing’s an issue, the way of life on campus, all those things, that’s what has been the 1,000 paper cuts of the head football coach at Notre Dame.

Comment

I agree, I wasn't that early but certainly after 2016, I thought it was time to move on. But you have to tip your cap to Jack for sticking with him; BK must have sold him on his vision to right the ship, and it has paid immense dividends.

This year will be telling; we obviously lost a ton of talent from last year, but recruiting has been strong enough that I could see us reloading and getting another 10+ wins, which would be a remarkable feat. It would truly be our first "reload" over the past 4 years.
                                                      Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 06-30-2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

I think it's so many guys that arent like Cack where they are willing to change their opinion. They put their foot in the ground in 2014 and aren't moving it.

SIDE NOTE: How do you do the multi quote feature on the new site? I havent got it to work
                                                        Prehistoric

Comment

• Is there anyone on this site who hasn't budged on their position since 2017? I don't think anyone reasonable could say that ND should terminate Kelly right now. I certainly thought he deserved to be terminated after 16 though.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• I was a "wait and see" after the 2016 debacle. I wanted to see what he could do after he fired BVG. So far, his return on investment has been huge.

Comment

• In this poll I voted to keep BK but I was subsequently unhappy with how the offseason was unfolding.

I thought that by forcing him to retool his entire staff ND was either just delaying the inevitable or poisoning the relationship with BK such that he would leave as soon as he got the chance.

I would have thought the events of 2017 to the present to be impossible.

So I tip my cap to BK. He's adapted better than anybody I can think of and the program will reap benefits even after he hangs it up.

I do wonder how many people took a hard line on him in 2016 and stayed away from ND football all this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                Is there anyone on this site who hasn't budged on their position since 2017? I don't think anyone reasonable could say that ND should terminate Kelly right now. I certainly thought he deserved to be terminated after 16 though.
                                                                I can certainly think of one
                                                                Prehistoric

Comment

Is there anyone on this site who hasn't budged on their position since 2017? I don't think anyone reasonable could say that ND should terminate Kelly right now. I certainly thought he deserved to be terminated after 16 though.
                                                                  Pretty sure I've always been #TeamKelly. Even after 2016, I didn't think we could do better.

Comment

• Driskell voted to fire

Comment

• I wish the search feature could quickly show me all the dumb posts GK had over the years, alas I could only find one string

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Pretty sure I've always been #TeamKelly. Even after 2016, I didn't think we could do better.
                                                                        But it's Urban's dream job...

Comment

You get a mulligan once a decade. He grew from it. Nobody else I’d rather have.
                                                                          Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• I’m not gonna rehash the inexplicable home losses to inferior teams, the BVG hire, flirting with the NFL in 2013, among other things but I’m certainly seeing Whiskeys POV a lot clearer now. We’ve been punching above our weight under Kelly with a huge ROI

Comment

• I stayed in BK's corner and felt he deserved one more shot after 2016, but if he didn't make the magic I was done with him. I'm not sure we can do much better. IMO Saban or Meyer may have not done much better given the reduced talent pool to recruit from, the academics, etc.

Comment

I should've been more clear with my initial question. I meant to ask if anyone is still on #TeamFireKelly since 2017. Even the unsatisfiable people on other boards seem to be more focused on firing offensive assistants rather than Kelly these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                                  I wish the search feature could quickly show me all the dumb posts GK had over the years, alas I could only find one string
                                                                                  I'll stick up for GK because he sure was correct about the direction of the program when he listed the majority of his complaints and started this thread. 2016 was nothing but vindication for his position.

Both of these statements can be true:
                                                                                  2016 was an inexcusable dumpster fire and BK deserved to be fired.
                                                                                  ND not firing BK was a great move.

Comment

I'll stick up for GK because he sure was correct about the direction of the program when he listed the majority of his complaints and started this thread. 2016 was nothing but vindication for his position.

Both of these statements can be true:
                                                                                    2016 was an inexcusable dumpster fire and BK deserved to be fired.
                                                                                    ND not firing BK was a great move.
                                                                                    Yes. Ill got to the mat for GK on that pre 2016 as well. After that season I became unconcerned for Kelly's tenure at ND.

Comment

Yes. Ill got to the mat for GK on that pre 2016 as well. After that season I became unconcerned for Kelly's tenure at ND.
                                                                                      I think if I went back and dug up my posts I too became indifferent. If ND could land a better guy, I would have been very much okay with canning him. That said, things have worked out pretty well since then sans Miami and Michigan road debacles.
                                                                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• I don’t think I got into him with it on the original thread creation in 2016 but in 2017 he was still advocating for firing BK for just about anyone, I remember specifically finding it ridiculous to advocate for Dantonio as a replacement. We were very much in the sure firing BK would be valid if you have the right replacement phase and he was just advocating tear down regardless and did not properly evaluate the next step after succeeding in the BK tear down

Comment

• Yeah let's not dog on GK, he was rightfully concerned for the program after 2014 and 2016. Nobody could've seen this coming, not even Jack. Heck, I thought it was pretty much confirmed that BK would've been gone if anyone besides Row the Boat or Matt Rhule was interested.

Comment

Same to my knowledge. I know I challenged a number of people after 2016 to name another college head coach that would come in and do a better job than BK given the circumstances. I firmly believe you don't oust someone unless you're confidant you have a replacement and that person is better than what you have. Something may be said about a coach losing a team and at some point it's better to move on...but obviously BK was never out of it as he made a monumental turn around.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                              Yeah let's not dog on GK, he was rightfully concerned for the program after 2014 and 2016. Nobody could've seen this coming, not even Jack. Heck, I thought it was pretty much confirmed that BK would've been gone if anyone besides Row the Boat or Matt Rhule was interested.

In the same vein as late Arkansas era Houston Nutt...I called that program turnaround brotha!

Comment

• I recommended renaming this thread a while back to BK Reinvented. He has done a masterful job of elevating the program to where it is today. Can’t blame those posters that wanted to go in a different direction… it’s simply placed on their desire to see their team succeed. It’s ok, in hindsight to maybe be on the wrong side of the discussion but it’s never ok to lose the desire. Guys like GK never lost their desire and that, in the end, is what truly matters.

Comment

Same to my knowledge. I know I challenged a number of people after 2016 to name another college head coach that would come in and do a better job than BK given the circumstances. I firmly believe you don't oust someone unless you're confidant you have a replacement and that person is better than what you have. Something may be said about a coach losing a team and at some point it's better to move on...but obviously BK was never out of it as he made a monumental turn around.
                                                                                                  I just assumed it was over for him after 2016, even if he wasn't fired then. I don't think any coach has ever completely reformed a program in one year (new OC, DC, STC, S&C) and ultimately been successful. He's the one others will point to in the future when their coach is trying the same.
                                                                                                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• What's sad is how much the van gorder years cost us. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to fully forgive him and Notre Dame for it. 2015 season absolutely frustrates the hell out of me to this day and idk if it'll ever not
                                                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Absolutely. I'm a firm believer that Jack was snooping around, but didn't see anything that convinced him to make the change. I also believe he had a heart to heart with BK about improving the program and hence the changes.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X