Is Notre Dame soft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Notre Dame soft?

I posted this in the GameDay thread and will ask it here?

Is Notre Dame soft?

Do we have an intimidating player on the roster?
    "I'm not a film evaluator"
    - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Yes.

Comment

Hard to argue we're not soft. But also pretty young.

I think Nyles/Smith/Redfield/Tranquill/Hayes/KVR will provide some energy next year and we'll look completely different.
      Last edited by koonja; 11-22-2014, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Not exactly the discussion I want to engage in on game day. But I would like to see our o-line develop more of a "mean streak"...taking their blocks to the whistle and an occasional pancake. I'd like to see Day and Jaylon smacking a few heads and leading between plays. Lastly, I'd like to see the tackling we had in the first four games vs the last four game. GO IRISH!

Comment

Originally posted by koonja View Post
          Hard to argue we're not soft. But also pretty young. Whatever you want to say, zero blame can fall on Longo. Fact.

I think Nyles/Smith/Redfield/Tranquill/Hayes/KVR will provide some energy next year and we'll look completely different.
          I agree, Nyles and Tranquill looks to be very physical. Don't forget our WR's are pretty physical too since downfield blocking has been above average. But our Oline is Charmin soft. Dline can hold its own when healthy but not very intimidating. Farley looks to be pretty physical but sometimes he just doesn't get there or is out of position.

Comment

Need a little more this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1qLkHr61Z2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

When you have 85 guys planning to use their head without a helmet on it, you get this. Stanford is about as "hard" as an academic institution can get, and I wouldn't put them in the top 10 overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Booslum31 View Post
                Not exactly the discussion I want to engage in on game day. But I would like to see our o-line develop more of a "mean streak"...taking their blocks to the whistle and an occasional pancake. I'd like to see Day and Jaylon smacking a few heads and leading between plays. Lastly, I'd like to see the tackling we had in the first four games vs the last four game. GO IRISH!
                I think the o line is the softest aspect
                "I'm not a film evaluator"
                - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

Pretty soft, ya.

In the BK years, I can't really think of an enforcer that we have had who truly intimidated the opposition. Braxton Cave had a little bit of Jeff Faine in him, but not enough. Most of our OL seem to be finesse guys, no real maulers.

Defensively, Motta and Carlo were guys who would fly around with some attitude, but neither was very talented.

Lynch was a crazy asshole, and it was awesome. There is no way any opposing player wasn't shitting bricks with Lynch out there. One of my favorite Lynch plays was against FSU when Motta had the TD fumble return and Lynch peels off and just lays out an FSU OL who had no chance at making any sort of tackle on Motta.

Te'o and Nix were great talents, but it didn't seem like either one played with an edge. Tuitt was the same way. Unfortunately, we seem to recruit too many nice guys.

Even something as stupid as Kenny Stills from OU talking shit to our players in 2012 is something I wish we had here. None of our players have any attitude or edge to them.

I know that Gronk block on Sergio Brown last week got a lot of attention, and many thought it was a dirty play. Honestly, I would love to see one of our guys do that. I want to see us play angry for once. I would take a 15-yard penalty or two in order to set the tone.
                  Last edited by irishfan; 11-22-2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Doesn't get more fan masturbatory and speculative than a 'we don't have any intimidating players' thread.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                      Need a little more this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1qLkHr61Z2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                      Not at sleepy Notre Dame Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                        Pretty soft, ya.

In the BK years, I can't really think of an enforcer that we have had who truly intimidated the opposition. Braxton Cave had a little bit of Jeff Faine in him, but not enough. Most of our OL seem to be finesse guys, no real maulers.

Defensively, Motta and Carlo were guys who would fly around with some attitude, but neither was very talented.

Lynch was a crazy asshole, and it was awesome. There is no way any opposing player wasn't shitting bricks with Lynch out there. One of my favorite Lynch plays was against FSU when Motta had the TD fumble return and Lynch peels off and just lays out an FSU OL who had no chance at making any sort of tackle on Motta.

Te'o and Nix were great talents, but it didn't seem like either one played with an edge. Tuitt was the same way. Unfortunately, we seem to recruit too many nice guys lol.

Even something as stupid as Kenny Stills from OU talking shit to our players in 2012 is something I wish we had here. None of our players have any attitude or edge to them.
                        x10

Comment

Jaylon says no.
                          God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

Luke Kuechly is the crown jewel of recent players that fit the bill in all regards. A good guy/intellect off the field, a rampaging beast on it.

Comment

Yes, Like I said in the game day thread. Not one ' intimidating' player since Tom Zibikowski.

someone mentioned Lynch, I forgot about him, because I have a hard time counting him do to the short stint.

Comment

There are some individual exceptions but overall yes. We need some mean and nasties.
                                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Pretty soft, ya.

Te'o and Nix were great talents, but it didn't seem like either one played with an edge. Tuitt was the same way. Unfortunately, we seem to recruit too many nice guys.

I know that Gronk block on Sergio Brown last week got a lot of attention, and many thought it was a dirty play. Honestly, I would love to see one of our guys do that. I want to see us play angry for once. I would take a 15-yard penalty or two in order to set the tone.
                                  Dead on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate Penn St. Hater View Post
                                    Jaylon says no.
                                    His play recently says otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post

Do we have an intimidating player on the roster?

tran·quil
                                      ˈtraNGkwəl/
                                      adjective
                                      free from disturbance; calm.
                                      "her tranquil gaze"
                                      synonyms: peaceful, calm, calming, still, serene, placid, restful, quiet, relaxing, undisturbed, limpid, pacific; slow-moving, sleepy

Q.E.D.

Comment

My personal parameters for "hard" players with an edge doesn't take stock in big mouths, dirty play, or emotional outbursts. All are ok and even welcome at times, but some of the guys who play like an axe murderer without the extra razzle dazzle are my favs. Guys like Nick O'Leary or Chance Warmack.

Comment

Wait till you see Q Nelson play.

Comment

I hate the Hurricanes for the most part. But this is what I'm talking about. I loved Dan Morgan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTx7wstdXw

Comment

The one thing I absolutely despise is the O-line not running to their ball carrier to pick him up and prevent extra shots by the defense.
                                              (See Kyle Turley ripping off helmets when the Jets tried to rip his QB in half in a pile)

Comment

Is Notre Dame soft?

The one thing I absolutely despise is the O-line not running to their ball carrier to pick him up and prevent extra shots by the defense.
                                                (See Kyle Turley ripping off helmets when the Jets tried to rip his QB in half in a pile)

Great point. But I also don't see Folston handing out cups of Gatorade to them on the sidelines.

*Barry Sanders immediately did that after every single series, and he had the worst line in the league, but those guys would take a bullet for him.

Comment

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LgC98q6ds_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                                    Great point. But I also don't see Folston handing out cups of Gatorade to them on the sidelines.
                                                    True. The team as a whole needs more nasty.

Comment

Redfield hasn't layed the wood since the hit on Gardner that drew a BS flag.

We are soft

#FreeMax
                                                      #TeamKizer

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket89 View Post
                                                        Doesn't get more fan masturbatory and speculative than a 'we don't have any intimidating players' thread.
                                                        x100

Anyway, a lot of the plays traditionally associated with "hard" football are illegal these days.

Comment

This is a HS kid, but he is MEAN.

Definition of under the radar

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xTU6qreDx3U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Need a little more this

I love this one

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/blzftASduNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really wish ND did a better entrance too. The smoke helps but how hype is this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4NRzMCOP2XI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was at this one and it's the most batshit I've ever seen a stadium

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S01N5PyPYfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                            If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Comment

Anybody got any good video of the weight room in action? My gut tells me it's not like this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eBgJIzG-BFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Anybody got any good video of the weight room in action? My gut tells me it's not like this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eBgJIzG-BFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Take the stupid youtube crap away from that video (the background music, the competitions they probably do once or twice a year, and the generic coach speech™ at the beginning) and all you have is the players doing wind sprints, bench, squats, olympic lifts and agility drills. I guarantee you they do the same things in the ND weight room.

Same goes with almost all of the videos posted ITT. They're a bunch of highlight films with pump-up music.

Comment

Is Notre Dame soft?

Wasn't at either: I do remember thinking the VT one vs Boise was badass, but Clemson's entrance against FSU last year was the first time I ever stopped flipping channels, stood up, and thought "holy s-hit, that was incredible" during a pregame.

*Both teams lost those games. As an opposing player, that doesn't intimidate, it pumps up IMO.
                                                                  Last edited by IrishSteelhead; 11-22-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

IDK what the workouts are like, but this is how I picture Longo.

Comment

Weights don't hit back though.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishinSyria View Post
                                                                        Take the stupid youtube crap away from that video (the background music, the competitions they probably do once or twice a year, and the generic coach speech™ at the beginning) and all you have is the players doing wind sprints, bench, squats, olympic lifts and agility drills. I guarantee you they do the same things in the ND weight room.

Same goes with almost all of the videos posted ITT. They're a bunch of highlight films with pump-up music.
                                                                        Granted. You're Correct. But! outside of some of TP's videos. Find me a ND video that gets pumped? You can find Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Texas, etc..videos for days. ND. Zip.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenDome View Post
                                                                          Weights don't hit back though.
                                                                          Northwestern does.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                                                            Wasn't at either: I do remember thinking the VT one vs Boise was badass, but Clemson's entrance against FSU last year was the first time I ever stopped flipping channels, stood up, and thought "holy s-hit, that was incredible" during a pregame.

*Both teams lost those games. As an opposing player, that doesn't intimidate, it pumps up IMO.
                                                                            Oh yeah that Clemson one was amazing too
                                                                            If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Pretty soft, ya.

Apparently you missed Redfield crushing Gardner at the end of the Michigan game.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Here you go GoldenDomer. Add some hip hop to this and its the same thing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iHmrEfk71F0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Northwestern does.
                                                                                  I think technique in combination with strength/endurance/stamina = physical.

There is no possible way you can play physical without proper technique, especially in the trenches.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Northwestern does.
                                                                                    To soon....
                                                                                    #TeamKizer

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Hammer Of The Gods View Post
                                                                                      Granted. You're Correct. But! outside of some of TP's videos. Find me a ND video that gets pumped? You can find Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Texas, etc..videos for days. ND. Zip.
                                                                                      That says something about the fans, not the players.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by peoriairish View Post
                                                                                        Here you go GoldenDomer. Add some hip hop to this and its the same thing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iHmrEfk71F0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                        Bumped so this doesn't get buried on the last page.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Kaneyoufeelit View Post
                                                                                          I love this one

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/blzftASduNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really wish ND did a better entrance too. The smoke helps but how hype is this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4NRzMCOP2XI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was at this one and it's the most batshit I've ever seen a stadium

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S01N5PyPYfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                          Personally I would rather they just focus on eliminating the 8 billion soul crushing turnovers a game.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Bluto View Post
                                                                                            Personally I would rather they just focus on eliminating the 8 billion soul crushing turnovers a game.
                                                                                            Yea, I thought our problem was that we turned the ball over too much.

I think we have some soft fans.
                                                                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Bluto View Post
                                                                                              False dichotomy is false. We could do both.

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                              Yea, I thought our problem was that we turned the ball over too much.

Wanna rochamBeau?
                                                                                              Last edited by Kaneyoufeelit; 11-22-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

It's like the old saying: "Dogs take after their owners, and owners take after their dogs." We are all cowering together at this point.....

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Kaneyoufeelit View Post
                                                                                                  False dichotomy is false. We could do both.

Wanna rochamBeau?
                                                                                                  This team is having a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time right now. The last thing it needs is a bunch of flashy window dressing. It's a really bad look if you're not getting it done on the field. ND could do both, but right now it's not doing enough of A to warrant B in my opinion. This team needs to embrace the hate and kick some ass in the next two games. Then and only then would a "hype video", smoke machines and laser light shows not come across as completely ridiculous.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Bluto; 11-22-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by GoldenDome View Post
                                                                                                    I think technique in combination with strength/endurance/stamina = physical.

There is no possible way you can play physical without proper technique, especially in the trenches.
                                                                                                    Huh? You don't think that you can just out right man handle someone? Have you ever Wrestled?

Mass x acceleration = force

With that being said, the only place, relative to sport, to work on force being delivered is the weight room. Granted, weights don't hit back, but when you can move a lot of weight, very explosively and put a bad attitude behind it. Good things will happen relative to the football field.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X