Is it time for a change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time for a change?

I'm torn because Golson is amazing one minute and then extremely frustrating the next. But how many 4 or 5 turnover games do you let a QB have before you give someone else a shot? I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.
    I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Sleep it off, bruddah.

Comment

We have no clue what we have with the back ups,... Since we haven't been able to put anyone away early... Pretty much end debate right there imo...
      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by no.1IrishFan View Post
        Sleep it off, bruddah.
        I know man, but damn, how close would these games even be if just half of these turnovers were eliminated? We're all hyped on expectations for next year, but should we be if this trend is going to continue?

Comment

We're 7-2 with losses to two top 10 teams. In one, we lost on a controversial last play. In the other, we were within 3 points before imploding with 4 minutes left (and then Graham ran the score up after we decided not to call a TO...don't get me started there). In those two games, we've scored 27 and 31 points.

There are issues, certainly. But we always knew that we were a year away from a big season. The trajectory remains up...

Comment

To answer the question in the OP, no. We're just going to have to live with Golson I mean he is 17-3 as a starter after all. I know he had some bad moments all of picks were weird. Two batted balls, one pick where he got hit from behind and then that last one where C-Rob bobbled the ball. That was a string of horrid luck. I mean horrible, terrible luck.
            "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
              To answer the question in the OP, no. We're just going to have to live with Golson I mean he is 17-3 as a starter after all. I know he had some bad moments all of picks were weird. Two batted balls, one pick where he got hit from behind and then that last one where C-Rob bobbled the ball. That was a string of horrid luck. I mean horrible, terrible luck.
              I agree that there was some bad luck there, but Golson continues to struggle with recognizing blitzes, seeing open receivers and generally making bad decisions at very bad times. I guess we'll have to just take the good with the bad, but I'm going to be old and gray pretty quick at this pace!

Comment

Is it time for a change?

Now that they are out of it, maybe it is time to find out what's on the bench, at least for a game or two.

The problem is EG is regressing. There'll be no 'big year' in 2015 with 3+ turnovers a game from the QB, which is now the norm and can't be ignored any longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't change anything this year. Would be nice to see us blow out Northwestern so Zaire can play most of the second half. If there is a change, and I'm not saying there should be, it should come in the spring. Zaire will have plenty of time under Kelly's system and should be able to handle the full playbook. I believe Kelly will play the QB that gives us the best chance to win. I also believe, whoever he picks, he will be more willing to pull him next year in these types of situations like he did with Golson in 2012 when needed.

Comment

Don't know the answer. Golson can look great some series and look like total shit on others. The turnovers are a huge concern. They have to be killing his confidence. He looked scared to death several times today. Not saying he should be pulled, but how many more times does he do this and keep his job?
                    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

16-3 as a starter. Bench him.
                      "I'm not a film evaluator"
                      - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                        It was not bad luck. The two batted balls were Golson being lazy with his footwork and rushing the throws. The one was supposed to be a three step drop but got lazy, rushed it and threw it on two steps. Of course playcalling and Kelly abandoning the run so quick has a lot to do with it as well as the team not being able to pick up inside stunts and blitzes.

But what I am most disappointed in Golson is his lack of leadership. I have never seen him coach up his young receivers or fire up the defense to get a stop. Has he ever fully taken control of the offense because it seems like he is the chauffeur to Kelly driving it? Just my take though. Would love to see Golson light a fire. His body language is puzzling. He has the lost dog Dayne Crist look when things go wrong.

Comment

one word...
                          nope
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                            I'm torn because Golson is amazing one minute and then extremely frustrating the next. But how many 4 or 5 turnover games do you let a QB have before you give someone else a shot? I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.
                            Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

Of course not. This team need to learn how to play football with out errors and it will be fine. Until they do that we will struggle to stay in the top 10.

With the defense i think the are playing like they should in the first year. They played really good against some bad teams and some of us raised the bar that was to high and never going to happen.
                              Last edited by irishff1014; 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM.
                              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

We will not win a National Championship with Golson as our quarterback. He is just too inconsistent for us to go 12-0 or even 11-1 and make the play-offs. However, he is exciting to watch and with the current recruiting and team makle-up we can probably win 9 or 10 games this year and duplicate that next year.

So the real question is "Are we statisfied with 9 or 10 wins per season after so many seasons of 6 to 8 wins?"

Perhaps, Malik could take us to the next level. However, I have to wonder if we can keep Malik after this season. If I were the back-up quarterback and the starter was still in the game and starting after consistently turning the ball over 3 to 5 times per game, I would be looking elsewhere. He's got to be wondering if he will ever play barring a Golson injury. Kelly seems content to stick with Golson through the good and the bad, and there has been a lot of bad in the past few games.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                  Don't know the answer. Golson can look great some series and look like total shit on others. The turnovers are a huge concern. They have to be killing his confidence. He looked scared to death several times today. Not saying he should be pulled, but how many more times does he do this and keep his job?
                                  My thoughts exactly.

Comment

The consistency is an issue, no doubt, we can't be so up and down. It makes me a little sick to see people give Golson a pass, despite his inconsistencies, when Tommy was dogged last year. We should be more consistent as fans.

Comment

Is it time for a change?

The GOLSON SCALE:

Great Golson=blowout win

Good Golson=comfortable win

Average Golson=close win

Bad Golson=nailbiter win

Garbage Golson=nailbiter loss

Toilet Bowl Golson= close loss

Nuclear Holocaust Golson=today

*Ill take my chances with him every week

Comment

The most popular player on most teams in the backup QB. But there is a reason they are the backup and not the starter. Golson gives ND the best chance to win. It's not time for Zaire... it's time for Golson to step it up.

Comment

Lol he didnt pull rees last year after season was toast to give at that time this years starter zaire playing time. Hes not gonna do it this year when golsons coming back.

Comment

Why i think this thread is dumb. Lax can you and your boys over at IrishTP work up the numbers on Everett in the first quarter? He is awful.
                                            "I'm not a film evaluator"
                                            - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
                                              Lol he didnt pull rees last year after season was toast to give at that time this years starter zaire playing time. Hes not gonna do it this year when golsons coming back.
                                              I'd argue that Golson's backup this year is much better than what Tommy had behind him last year.

Comment

Golson's a gamer. 4 turnovers and battled the team back to be within 3 before the last deflection-killer pick. it sucks. A big problem today, in addition to the unrelenting pressure, was his lack of height being exposed with all the deflections at the line that led to floater picks.
                                                .....Before I Get Out

Comment

Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                                  Golson's a gamer. 4 turnovers and battled the team back to be within 3 before the last deflection-killer pick. it sucks. A big problem today, in addition to the unrelenting pressure, was his lack of height being exposed with all the deflections at the line that led to floater picks.
                                                  AT 6'0"-6'1", you can't expect your QB to be much taller. An inch or two wouldn't have prevented the deflections. Our OL needs to either chop block the guys on the ends, or Golson needs more loft on the throw if they're not going to do that.

Comment

I know man, but damn, how close would these games even be if just half of these turnovers were eliminated? We're all hyped on expectations for next year, but should we be if this trend is going to continue?
                                                    Half his turnovers appear so stupid .... It's frustrating as hell! He has to have grip of a girl as many times he gets it knocked out of his hands. Damn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by irish4ever View Post
                                                      Half his turnovers appear so stupid .... It's frustrating as hell! He has to have grip of a girl as many times he gets it knocked out of his hands. Damn!!!
                                                      It has less to do with the grip on the ball, and more to do with the way he carries it. He doesn't carry the ball close to his body when he's scrambling, it's usually out and flailing about. He will tuck it if he thinks he's going to get hit, but the problem is he will inevitably get hit when he's not prepared for it.

Comment

The only questionable throw that resulted in an interception was the beginning of the 3rd quarter, and even then, Golson is getting hit from the blindside as he's releasing the ball. The two the were tipped can be put on him and the line. On those quick hitters, they need to cut the d-line. Think of it this way, when he's really on, we win and when he is playing poorly, we are still very much in the ballgame towards the end.

Comment

I'm just mad that he hasn't fixed the the fumbling issue. Other than that, he's the man.

Comment

Is it time for a change?

Yes, it is time for a change........ but not at QB. It's time for a Cool Change:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9bKwRW0l-Qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by EddytoNow View Post
                                                              He is just too inconsistent for us to go 12-0 or even 11-1
                                                              Golson's record as a starter in 2012 11-0* (he missed the first snap of the Miami game but played every other snap) with ND going 12-0 and going to the MNC.

Perhaps you became a fan this season?
                                                              "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

I don't know how you bench Golson, but his turnovers (some of which were just absurdly bad luck) are 100% of the reason why ND lost this game. And they've been a problem for awhile.

So something has to be done. I don't know what though.

Comment

Does anyone actually think we would win more games with Malik Zaire playing?

Comment

Originally posted by averagejoe View Post
                                                                    Does anyone actually think we would win more games with Malik Zaire playing?

No, but since the future is all some people here like to talk about, it makes sense to play him NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                      I don't know how you bench Golson, but his turnovers (some of which were just absurdly bad luck) are 100% of the reason why ND lost this game. And they've been a problem for awhile.

The "oopsies" are bound to happen, it's the "head scratchers" that need to be cut the eff out. The latter is starting to outnumber the former at an astronomical rate.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

Yea, but the O-line was like 80% of the reason for the turnovers.

Comment

The only change is to drop Navy and join ACC full time. They have to win a conference championship to get to final 4. If they won out with 1 loss they wouldn't have gotten it. Welcome to ACC.

Comment

The way this line is playing, hell no. Zaire isn't going to be able to avoid tackles and sacks the way Golson does. Many of Golsons picks this year have come off of deflections and missed catches like Robinsons tonight.
                                                                            "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post
                                                                              16-3 as a starter. Bench him.
                                                                              To play devil's advocate, as the stat above is often cited in support of Golson, here's another stat: 17-5. That's 17 turnovers in his last 5 games.

I would also point out that the 2012 wins were due in large part to an outstanding defense and not nearly as much to EGs play that season.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I agree that there was some bad luck there, but Golson continues to struggle with recognizing blitzes, seeing open receivers and generally making bad decisions at very bad times. I guess we'll have to just take the good with the bad, but I'm going to be old and gray pretty quick at this pace!
                                                                                ASU would switch their blitz look after our line had called its protection. It was a great job by an athletic ASU team that changed this game not Golson's inability to recognize the blitzes. He's actually pretty damn good at spinning out of blindside blitz, you just can't expect him to do it all the time.

While in the stat book, it will look like all the turnovers are on Golson's shoulders in actuality there are a lot more people to blame other than Golson.
                                                                                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Anyone want to discuss how slow golson looks running and how out of breath he is after he does run. The added weight did him zero good!

Zaire is a true dual threat and I can't wait!

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Golson is our QB. End of discussion. If anything it's the philosphy of the program that needs to change. How many times these last five or six years have we comeback..gotten close and then the defense lets the other team score on a handful of plays ? Need to have that killer instinct where you put your foot on a team's throat and don't let up until the clock reads 0:00 at the end of four quarters.
                                                                                    Play Like a Champion Today

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Irishman77 View Post
                                                                                      Anyone want to discuss how slow golson looks running and how out of breath he is after he does run. The added weight did him zero good!

Zaire is a true dual threat and I can't wait!
                                                                                      Wow, you should be posting in the "what are you drinking thread". Without Golson today it would've been a lot worse

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by NDfan12 View Post
                                                                                        Golson is our QB. End of discussion. If anything it's the philosphy of the program that needs to change. How many times these last five or six years have we comeback..gotten close and then the defense lets the other team score on a handful of plays ? Need to have that killer instinct where you put your foot on a team's throat and don't let up until the clock reads 0:00 at the end of four quarters.
                                                                                        Golson lost this game for ND, not the defense.
                                                                                        60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          People can fall in love with a qb like they do a CEO ...but when the stock crashes 50% or the qb turns it over a dozen times in a few games it's time to think different. That is painful but change isn't a choice in these situations.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            To be in this position during the Davie/Willingham/Weis years would've been a miracle. Anyone off the eagincan forward to to me.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              I'm about a pessimistic as a gets regarding ND football...but i think Golson can win the Heisman next year and have ND 11-1. The bigger issue is why our offensive line is regressing after we thought we had great depth in this position.

We didn't lose this game because of Golson. We lost because of poor preparation, bad decisions, lack of focus, bad adjustments, and poor tackling. Golson fumbles were really bad plays. Most of the interceptions were just really bad luck. And the one at the beginning of the third quarter was influenced by the pressure on his blind side. If he holds that ball a half of second longer he probably would've fumbled on the hit he was about to take.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                                                                Golson lost this game for ND, not the defense.
                                                                                                I disagree. Notre Dame lost this game. Not Golson, not the offensive line, not the defense. We were poor all around, coaching included.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by EifertPower View Post
                                                                                                  I'm about a pessimistic as a gets regarding ND football...but i think Golson can win the Heisman next year and have ND 11-1. The bigger issue is why our offensive line is regressing after we thought we had great depth in this position.

We didn't lose this game because of Golson. We lost because of poor preparation, bad decisions, lack of focus, bad adjustments, and poor tackling. Golson fumbles were really bad plays. Most of the interceptions were just really bad luck. And the one at the beginning of the third quarter was influenced by the pressure on his blind side. If he holds that ball a half of second longer he probably would've fumbled on the hit he was about to take.
                                                                                                  Who gives a crap about winning the Heisman? All Golson needs to do is win the games. The rest will come. Maybe some of this Heisman talk this year is distracting him. No QB wins the Heisman if he turns the ball over, doesn't learn from his mistakes, can't get past his first read in the passing game, and takes losses when all he needs to do is throw the ball in the cheap seats to play another down. Don't get me wrong here. I think Golson is the best option at QB for the Irish... but he has to realize how his ball security issues and poor choices are hurting his team.

Every group has to get better for the Irish to climb to the elite status. The OL has to learn how to pick up blitzes, the WRs have to hold on to the ball and learn how to get seperation, the RBs need to hit the hole (yes Cam does better than the rest) but Cam doesn't have that open field speed to get the big play some of the other backs have.

On defense, who knows. They have played well at times and other times they look horrible. When you can't stop the run, it's hard to lay blame on the cover backs. They can only cover so long, and let's face it, they aren't the greatest cover corners anyway.

Coaches? They need to explain why the team was so inept at picking up the blitz... especially when they knew ASU blitzed all the time. Defensive adjustments? Didn't see a lot of that the last 3-4 games. ASU tanked in the second half because they started sitting on the ball. I have faith in BVG, but it appears his in game adjustments aren't working well right now. And yes, I know you can't make major adjustments at halftime, but whatever he is doing right now is just not working out.

There is so much potential on this Irish team... but when does next year become this year? Time for the Irish to figure that out.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by T Town Tommy View Post
                                                                                                    Who gives a crap about winning the Heisman? All Golson needs to do is win the games. The rest will come. Maybe some of this Heisman talk this year is distracting him. No QB wins the Heisman if he turns the ball over, doesn't learn from his mistakes, can't get past his first read in the passing game, and takes losses when all he needs to do is throw the ball in the cheap seats to play another down. Don't get me wrong here. I think Golson is the best option at QB for the Irish... but he has to realize how his ball security issues and poor choices are hurting his team.

Every group has to get better for the Irish to climb to the elite status. The OL has to learn how to pick up blitzes, the WRs have to hold on to the ball and learn how to get seperation, the RBs need to hit the hole (yes Cam does better than the rest) but Cam doesn't have that open field speed to get the big play some of the other backs have.

On defense, who knows. They have played well at times and other times they look horrible. When you can't stop the run, it's hard to lay blame on the cover backs. They can only cover so long, and let's face it, they aren't the greatest cover corners anyway.

Coaches? They need to explain why the team was so inept at picking up the blitz... especially when they knew ASU blitzed all the time. Defensive adjustments? Didn't see a lot of that the last 3-4 games. ASU tanked in the second half because they started sitting on the ball. I have faith in BVG, but it appears his in game adjustments aren't working well right now. And yes, I know you can't make major adjustments at halftime, but whatever he is doing right now is just not working out.

There is so much potential on this Irish team... but when does next year become this year? Time for the Irish to figure that out.
                                                                                                    I can't rep you anymore. Nice post
                                                                                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X