Heisman watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heisman watch

As of late we have watched a few great players do some great things. We have witnessed the same great players do some great things and their team lost. Video: Amari Cooper -- the quiet man - ESPN

Great receiver and seems to be on track. But I don't see the same influence that the only receiver in history to win the Heisman gave Michigan

Utah State Aggies vs. BYU Cougars - Recap - October 03, 2014 - ESPN

He is obviously out of the question, but was he really considered?

Manziel Planning To Contact Winston - ESPN Video - ESPN

This has got to be the story of the year for the Heisman committee. They have got to be asking themselves some serious questions.

Heres a guy who seems good enough,
    Todd Gurley

2014 Season
    ATT YDS TD
    69 610 6
    but really? does he propel his team to win or is he behind a great line? hmmm...

Everett Golson, He was 187-of-318 passing the football for 2,405 yards with 12 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, and a pass efficiency rating 131.8. Golson also rushed for 299 yards and 6 touchdowns on 94 carries. His longest pass play of the season went for 50 yards to wideout John Goodman.

this was 2 years ago. 'wiki

There was no goal line stand this time, but there were late-game heroics of a different variety. Trailing by four and facing 4th-and-11, Everett Golson aired out a 22-yard touchdown pass to a wide-open Ben Koyack to take a 17-14 advantage. Notre Dame mounts late-game comeback to put Stanford away - Elkhart Truth

Can we add him to the fold? This guy just wins like his predecessor only difference he does It convincingly, finally and absolutely? Look at the competition and ask yourself If he doesn't propel his team to wins. Time to start the chant and be proud of this young man!!

Tell me I'm wrong.
    I was smarter when I drank...
    I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

I think he deserves to be in the discussion. That's all I will say for now. Doesn't deserve it right now, but definitely has the chance and the talent to earn it.
    "...and our hearts forever, love thee Notre Dame!"

Comment

Originally posted by NDTH91 View Post
      I think he deserves to be in the discussion. That's all I will say for now. Doesn't deserve it right now, but definitely has the chance and the talent to earn it.
      I think that is a fair statement. I think the front runner right now is Gurley, but that stable of backs behind him may actually hurt him in the long run.

Golson deserves to be in the discussion, but I cannot see him winning it unless he lights it up with very few turnovers for the rest of the season.

Comment

No one is lighting it up, game kept ev in it. What he does against fsu is what determines a trip to ny. Getting DD back(hopefully) will be huge for him n team.

Comment

The last TD is a reason to say 'he won us the game'

But his fumble near the end zone is a reason to say 'he could have cost us the game'
          "Canada is the greatest nation in this country." -Allan Lamport

Comment

If Amari doesn't win, it's a damn shame. He's unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by peoriairish View Post
              If Amari doesn't win, it's a damn shame. He's unreal.
              That's a shame. Irish in ya name but bama in your heart..

Comment

Too early to say.

Comment

Gurley is the real deal.

Cooper is the real deal.

Their positions don't allow them to carry the world on their shoulders though,

If EV wins out, and stays out of trouble, we will win it.

Winston is out of the question, ethically. Worse than Newton actually.

But I've been wrong before.

Comment

Well, Ameer Abdullah is getting knocked out of contention tonight. Kenny Hill probably got knocked out too. Taysom Hill is out. Marcus Mariota probably got knocked down the pecking order a bit, although not completely out. And Amari played a solid game, but his team lost. Melvin Gordon played lights out, but his team lost (again). Everett was shaky at times, but he made the play to win the game and kept his team undefeated. If you look at all the candidates and the season ended today, Golson would probably make it to NY at least. I think he'd finish third behind Gurley and Dak Prescott.

Obviously, there's alot of the season to be played though. We'll see

Comment

Screw the Heisman, it's a popularity contest these days. The media will prop up whoever they want to win it, guaranteed. Whoever is going to make headlines will win it, integrity and all that other garbage they use to describe the award means nothing today.

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                        Screw the Heisman, it's a popularity contest these days. The media will prop up whoever they want to win it, guaranteed. Whoever is going to make headlines will win it, integrity and all that other garbage they use to describe the award means nothing today.
                        I agree, who gives a fuck? This is a team sport.

Comment

From ESPN farther below.

Gurley had a monster game. Clear number 1 IMO
                          Mariota lost and played an OK game... will drop
                          Cooper, decent game in losing effort (9 for 91).
                          Abdullah is doing nothing against MichSt.
                          Hill lost and had a lousy game with 3 INTs.
                          Gordon nailed it with 259 yards in a losing effort.
                          Hill is out.
                          Prescott had an OK game (rushing attack killed it).

EG will move up a few spots with his late game heroics.

Todd Gurley RB Georgia Jr. 6 3 0 1 0 44
                          Marcus Mariota QB Oregon Jr. 4 5 1 0 0 43
                          Amari Cooper WR Alabama Jr. 0 1 4 3 2 24
                          Ameer Abdullah RB Nebraska Sr. 0 1 4 2 1 21
                          Kenny Hill QB Texas A&M So. 0 0 1 3 3 12
                          Everett Golson QB Notre Dame Sr. 0 0 0 1 1 3
                          Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
                          Taysom Hill QB BYU Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
                          Dak Prescott QB Miss. State Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Dak Prescott is the clear frontrunner, IMO. Golson is now firmly in the discussion and has a Heisman moment.

Comment

Did anybody watch the first 55 minutes that game? Moment or not, Golson was a liability for much of it. Poor decisions and turnovers.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                Did anybody watch the first 55 minutes that game? Moment or not, Golson was a liability for much of it. Poor decisions and turnovers.

Also some late throws, crappy throws, etc..
                                I'll cut him some slack though. Conditions were absolutely horrible.
                                At the end of the day, and the end of the game, he came through against the number defense.......
                                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                  Also some late throws, crappy throws, etc..
                                  I'll cut him some slack though. Conditions were absolutely horrible.
                                  At the end of the day, and the end of the game, he came through against the number defense.......
                                  I agree and he was an asset when everything was said and done. I just feel like there are many miles between "helped the team win in a tough game" and "best college football player on the planet."

Comment

Yes.

Comment

You might want to add:

RB Melvin Gordon WIS 259 yds 1 TD

QB Dak Prescott MSST 259 yds 2 TDs Passing and 77 yds 3 TDs Rushing

Comment

Originally posted by DillonHall View Post
                                        I agree, who gives a fuck? This is a team sport.
                                        Yup. The only way I see Golson winning the Heisman is if all the other runners stumble over themselves before the voting, or he cures cancer.

Comment

you do know 4 of the top 6 teams have lost for the first time since 1990. I was 14 at the time my wife wasn't born. I do believe he should be considered in the best way possible

Comment

Originally posted by 1ndfan View Post
                                            you do know 4 of the top 6 teams have lost for the first time since 1990. I was 14 at the time my wife wasn't born. I do believe he should be considered in the best way possible
                                            Is your marriage like,.. You know,... Legal???
                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                              Is your marriage like,.. You know,... Legal???
                                              Haaaa

<div style="max-width: 500px;" id="_giphy_IQS0eS60itLaw"></div><script>var _giphy = _giphy || []; _giphy.push({id: "IQS0eS60itLaw",w: 360, h: 360});var g = document.createElement("script"); g.type = "text/javascript"; g.async = true;g.src = ("https:" == document.location.protocol ? "https://" : "http://") + "giphy.com/static/js/widgets/embed.js";var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(g, s);</script>

Comment

Gurley's to lose. Unreal talent, has the media wrapped around his finger.

Comment

kinky...

Comment

Sadly I think selling your autograph or stealing crab legs are more likely to get overlooked than 6 turnovers in two games.

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
                                                      Sadly I think selling your autograph or stealing crab legs are more likely to get overlooked than 6 turnovers in two games.
                                                      good point.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                                                        Gurley's to lose. Unreal talent, has the media wrapped around his finger.
                                                        Yup. And honestly he deserves it.

Comment

Jff won with a 0 TD 2 int game. Golson needs highlights and luck.

Comment

Right now

1.) Todd Gurley

2.) Amari Cooper

3.) Dak Prescott

4.) Insert Name
                                                            Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

If we go into Tallahassee undefeated Golson will get his chance.

Comment

Prescott is riding a wave of momentum (and we know how voters love QBs), but that can change in a heartbeat over the next few weeks when he crawls into the belly of the beast with their schedule.

Comment

As of late we have watched a few great players do some great things. We have witnessed the same great players do some great things and their team lost. Video: Amari Cooper -- the quiet man - ESPN

Great receiver and seems to be on track. But I don't see the same influence that the only receiver in history to win the Heisman gave Michigan

Utah State Aggies vs. BYU Cougars - Recap - October 03, 2014 - ESPN

He is obviously out of the question, but was he really considered?

Manziel Planning To Contact Winston - ESPN Video - ESPN

This has got to be the story of the year for the Heisman committee. They have got to be asking themselves some serious questions.

Heres a guy who seems good enough,
                                                                  Todd Gurley

2014 Season
                                                                  ATT YDS TD
                                                                  69 610 6
                                                                  but really? does he propel his team to win or is he behind a great line? hmmm...

Everett Golson, He was 187-of-318 passing the football for 2,405 yards with 12 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, and a pass efficiency rating 131.8. Golson also rushed for 299 yards and 6 touchdowns on 94 carries. His longest pass play of the season went for 50 yards to wideout John Goodman.

this was 2 years ago. 'wiki

There was no goal line stand this time, but there were late-game heroics of a different variety. Trailing by four and facing 4th-and-11, Everett Golson aired out a 22-yard touchdown pass to a wide-open Ben Koyack to take a 17-14 advantage. Notre Dame mounts late-game comeback to put Stanford away - Elkhart Truth

Can we add him to the fold? This guy just wins like his predecessor only difference he does It convincingly, finally and absolutely? Look at the competition and ask yourself If he doesn't propel his team to wins. Time to start the chant and be proud of this young man!!

Tell me I'm wrong.
                                                                  I think it's Todd Gurley's to loose

Comment

Todd Gurley of Georgia Bulldogs suspended indefinitely - ESPN

So, Gurley is suspended indefinitely due to a possible NCAA violation. Based on past history, that should all but cement his position as leader for the Heisman, no?

Comment

Its all reaady been awarded to him behind closed doors at the Downtown Athletic Club. The Downton Athletic Club is also known as Jail.

Comment

Okay, on a rare serious note, does Shane Carden get any love, or not due to his opponents?

Comment

Marcus Mariota final stats:
                                                                          254-372 3783 yards
                                                                          25-38 313 against Arizona. He also missed a game

Everett Golson final stats: (one less game)
                                                                          250-416 3355 yards

Soooo this explosive Oregon offense with a more developed heisman winning Quarterback threw the ball for the season 82 less times. That's roughly two games worth. Good play calling BK.
                                                                          "I'm not a film evaluator"
                                                                          - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

They also have a way better run game and led in the vast majority of their games. Not sure that is fair.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Sort of my point
                                                                              "I'm not a film evaluator"
                                                                              - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I see. Chicken and egg type of argument here. Does running the ball consistently generate explosive offense, or does their intrinsically explosive offense allow them to run consistently. I would be inclined to argue for the latter.

...But I do hope we run more, and more effectively next season no question LOL

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post
                                                                                  Marcus Mariota final stats:
                                                                                  254-372 3783 yards
                                                                                  25-38 313 against Arizona. He also missed a game

Everett Golson final stats: (one less game)
                                                                                  250-416 3355 yards

Soooo this explosive Oregon offense with a more developed heisman winning Quarterback threw the ball for the season 82 less times. That's roughly two games worth. Good play calling BK.
                                                                                  Chip Kelly's spread has ALWAYS been a run-first offense, at Oregon.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by mtnd15 View Post
                                                                                    They also have a way better run game and led in the vast majority of their games. Not sure that is fair.
                                                                                    Come on a WAY better run game or a more utilized run game? We don't run enough with our solid RBs IMO.
                                                                                    GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by bkess8 View Post
                                                                                      Come on a WAY better run game or a more utilized run game? We don't run enough with our solid RBs IMO.
                                                                                      If Oregon's run offense is a Corvette; ND's run offense is a Pinto, by comparison.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Pretty incredible Heisman-winning season for Mariota. He'd be my #1 choice. I think my ballot in the end would be

1. Mariota
                                                                                        2. Gordon
                                                                                        3. Coleman
                                                                                        4. Barrett
                                                                                        5. Cooper

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by kmoose View Post
                                                                                          If Oregon's run offense is a Corvette; ND's run offense is a Pinto, by comparison.
                                                                                          I think NDs would be a rusty Mustang GT500, has all the potential but doesn't get the attention it needs!
                                                                                          GO IRISH!!!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                          X