Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Call in CFB History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Worst Call in CFB History

    I wanted to see what everyone thought the worst call in college football history was, since it's the offseason and we need more FOOSBALL, BOBBY BOUCHER, FOOSBALL! going on. Honestly, I think the worst is this call in the 2006 Oklahoma-Oregon game:

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dSIykYoM260" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    The second worst I can think of is the 2007 ND-Stanford game David Grimes catch:

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pKh7-C0izlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    Another really awful call was in the 2013 Outback Bowl (2 mins 30 sec into video):
    Highlights: Outback Bowl - Michigan vs. South Carolina (HD), 2013 - YouTube

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QJCpoJFy-3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    Of course, Clowney got some justice against the Skunks for that blatant ref carnage. What are some other awful calls you can think of?

    (I did a search for this topic and didn't see one; if one exists and a mod wants to merge, feel free)

  • #2
    5th Down - Colorado and Mizzou
    “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
      5th Down - Colorado and Mizzou
      Can you throw down a video? I'm not familiar with that play.

      Comment


      • #4
        The 5th down was an error, they simply lost count.

        November 28th, 1964 was Grand Larceny in The Coliseum.

        Undefeated ND had a 17 -0 halftime lead over the Trojans but a couple, not one, controversial and phantom calls secured a 20-17 theft for the homies.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
          5th Down - Colorado and Mizzou
          It really should be worst non-call, but I fail to see how it's anything but this.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            1983 Bama-Penn St. game. PSU kicked our butts for 3 quarters and led 34-7. In the 4th, we came roaring back, scoring 3 quick td's and were inside the PSU 5 with a few seconds left in the game. Walter Lewis threw what appeared to be the winning td to a receiver in the back of the end zone, but the official ruled it incomplete. It wasn't even close. The Bama receiver had the ball tucked into his chest with full possession of it, and came down almost a yard in bounds before he fell backwards out of the end zone. The head of the officiating crew was a former PSU player whose nephew was on the team. The call was so blatantly bad that even some of the PSU fans booed it, the announcers watching the replay said it was definitely a td, and Paterno himself said it was a bad call and apologized to Bama's HC.
            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hate to defend the Skunks, but the 79 Rose Bowl has to be up there. They even have a huge mural of the "phantom touchdown" in their Hall of Champions:

              Comment


              • #8
                The "clip" called against ND on Rocket's return against Colorado.
                God, Country, Notre Dame

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
                  5th Down - Colorado and Mizzou
                  Originally posted by MNIrishman View Post
                  Can you throw down a video? I'm not familiar with that play.
                  I remember that one. Probably the biggest hose job ever.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MNIrishman View Post
                    Can you throw down a video? I'm not familiar with that play.
                    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wuGlPG6Vie4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                    "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Easy.

                      <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NFpTkYMLzdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                      http://irishtp.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by IrishTP View Post
                        Easy.

                        <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NFpTkYMLzdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                        Who made that clip, OSU fans? lol

                        I remember that one as well. I didn't want Miami to win, but I can see a case being made for a penalty.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Personally, I would go with the block I the back call on Rocket's punt return against Colorado, but that's just the homer in me. I like when my team wins national championships and when referees don't take them away from me lol.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ultimate Penn St. Hater View Post
                            The "clip" called against ND on Rocket's return against Colorado.
                            <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sqC_Br3cDJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The clip. Awful. Hurts my soul.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by kmoose View Post
                                <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sqC_Br3cDJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                Still kills me.
                                God, Country, Notre Dame

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Gotta go with the 2005 game against USC. The no call on the push, and the PAC-12 ref's response to it...slap in the face imo. Plus, USC was trying to call a time out with 7 seconds left and they had none left. Rules say that's a delay of game penalty that would have pushed them back 5 yards.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                    Gotta go with the 2005 game against USC. The no call on the push, and the PAC-12 ref's response to it...slap in the face imo. Plus, USC was trying to call a time out with 7 seconds left and they had none left. Rules say that's a delay of game penalty that would have pushed them back 5 yards.
                                    This.

                                    Was it the 2009 ND @ Michigan game that had all of the questionable calls? The TD called back for being out of bounds, the delay of game that wasn't called, etc? I felt one of those games was just blatant B1G bias from the refs.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Ultimate Penn St. Hater View Post
                                      The "clip" called against ND on Rocket's return against Colorado.
                                      My first experience with being totally gut-punched as a ND fan. My dad was recording the game, and I remembering us watching that play over and over like it was the Zapruder Film.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        5th down always gets my vote. The moment was as big as it could be in the ohio st / Miami game, but passing interference is a common bad call. Allowing 5 downs is simply mind boggling

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          I hate when teams win off of bull shit. I don't even like these teams and it made me mad

                                          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JQmNYPOgx40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            You guys seem to be matching up with pretty well with this random guy from youtube

                                            <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gcTG1wGHYW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                            Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              One of the worst officiating blunders in recent memory, was the PAC12 refs completely fuking over Wisconsin last year at the end of the game versus Arizona State. That was one of the worst of all time. Those officials should have lost their jobs.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                I hate when teams win off of bull shit. I don't even like these teams and it made me mad

                                                <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JQmNYPOgx40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                haha i was literally writing my post when you wrote yours. I felt ill when watching that. It was just so blatant

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Et8oi3_B4-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                  Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                                                    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Et8oi3_B4-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                    Dude I change my mind! That is the worst call in any sport ever! ,!,,,

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Bush Push, Little Giants vs MSU, 5th down and the Clip

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                        1983 Bama-Penn St. game. PSU kicked our butts for 3 quarters and led 34-7. In the 4th, we came roaring back, scoring 3 quick td's and were inside the PSU 5 with a few seconds left in the game. Walter Lewis threw what appeared to be the winning td to a receiver in the back of the end zone, but the official ruled it incomplete. It wasn't even close. The Bama receiver had the ball tucked into his chest with full possession of it, and came down almost a yard in bounds before he fell backwards out of the end zone. The head of the officiating crew was a former PSU player whose nephew was on the team. The call was so blatantly bad that even some of the PSU fans booed it, the announcers watching the replay said it was definitely a td, and Paterno himself said it was a bad call and apologized to Bama's HC.
                                                        I absolutely hate shit like this. It's infuriating and only a problem with how our college officiating is setup... they basically don't screen people for bias. They do a little, but not much. Also, when they first put in replay, there was a serious issue with very large number of replay officials being "homers" that just lived near the school.

                                                        As ND fans, we're very familiar with the "stolen" game against bought off/biased Big Ten or PAC12 officials. That David Grimes catch being OVERTURNED by a bunch of salty Stanford alums was the most absurd thing I have ever seen happen live. There was absolutely no basis to rule that not a catch... no video evidence whatsoever.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                                          This.

                                                          Was it the 2009 ND @ Michigan game that had all of the questionable calls? The TD called back for being out of bounds, the delay of game that wasn't called, etc? I felt one of those games was just blatant B1G bias from the refs.
                                                          Yes. Lots of missed PI calls that day.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            The Oregon-Oklahoma was atrocious. And to add insult to injury, the officials then botched another call on Oregon's ensuing drive. A ball was tipped by an Oklahoma defender, yet there was a PI call made against them. That play too was reviewed. While the replay didn't clearly show a Sooner tipping the ball, the ball clearly changed trajectory. Like it was going along at 90 degree angle...then suddenly switched to a 30 degree angle. It was obvious during live motion the ball was tipped. Then under review, it was obvious the ball was tipped, just not who tipped it. Oregon went on to win the game and then the refs were suspended by the Pac-10.

                                                            That was also the year osu finished with 1-loss, then several teams finished with 2. Oklahoma was one that finished with 2. They even beat the number 1 ranked team in the BCS (Missouri) by like 20-something points in the conference championship game, on a neutral field. It was their 2nd victory of Missouri that year, Oklahoma being the only team Missouri lost to that year. lsu beat like 13-17th ranked utjr by only 10, on a neutral field. lsu gets the vote to play osu for the bcs title. Oklahoma got royally screwed by that Oregon game and voters at the end of the year.


                                                            That call(s) and the Miami PI in the Fiesta Bowl title game were the worst calls I've ever seen, live on TV. The 5 downs was bad too, but I didn't actually watch that game. I think there was another 5th down granted to a team a few years ago as well. Anybody remember who that was? Or am I making that up?

                                                            The Oklahoma-Oregon call(s), the Miami PI, and the Colorado 5th down weren't just terrible calls, but they also all legitimately cost or boosted a team to a national title. (I think Oklahoma would've assuredly gotten to the title game, and then beat osu as handily, if not more so, than lsu did)

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              PAC-12, among conference refs as a whole, have to have one of the worst histories of botched calls in college football.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                I absolutely hate shit like this. It's infuriating and only a problem with how our college officiating is setup... they basically don't screen people for bias. They do a little, but not much. Also, when they first put in replay, there was a serious issue with very large number of replay officials being "homers" that just lived near the school.
                                                                Yep. All of us understand that even the best officials are human and sometimes just miss a call or make an honest mistake. We can live with that. It's the inexplicably stupid calls, the biased ones, and the outright dishonest calls that chap our ass so badly.
                                                                Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  South Carolina getting jobbed right in front of their own bench against scUM in the Outback Bowl is my "favorite" worst call ever, simply because of the brutal justice on the very next play.




                                                                  I also remember being outraged at this, and I care nothing for Arkansas, and I really liked Tim Tebow:
                                                                  (Watch the whole video. It starts with a "bad" PI call that is not uncommon. But the call after that was the most atrocious "Unsportsmanlike" I've ever seen)

                                                                  <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/og5SO4XUodk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                  Last edited by IrishLion10; 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Originally posted by IrishLion10 View Post
                                                                    South Carolina getting jobbed right in front of their own bench against scUM in the Outback Bowl is my "favorite" worst call ever, simply because of the brutal justice on the very next play.




                                                                    I also remember being outraged at this, and I care nothing for Arkansas, and I really liked Tim Tebow:
                                                                    (Watch the whole video. It starts with a "bad" PI call that is not uncommon. But the call after that was the most atrocious "Unsportsmanlike" I've ever seen)

                                                                    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/og5SO4XUodk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                    Good pull on the Arkansas-Florida game.

                                                                    I had forgotten about this game. I was watching this game (and ND-sc) at a bar in Arkansas with a bunch of Arkansas fans. Arkansas got screwed bad. I liked that we were able to see the penalty stat-- truly a one-way affair. I think there was another almost equally as bad PI or roughing the passer call made as well in that game. Like mind blowing bad.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      This isn't the "worst call" but one that I will never forget as it is the prime example of Michigan being the luckiest team in college football. Call on the field is touchdown. Video evidence does in fact show that it is a touchdown....but it gets overturned.

                                                                      <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LG7Gt6C9rFM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by irishtrooper View Post
                                                                        Bush Push, Little Giants vs MSU, 5th down and the Clip
                                                                        What was the issue here, I don't remember. Ineligible man downfield due to line releasing?
                                                                        Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                                                          This isn't the "worst call" but one that I will never forget as it is the prime example of Michigan being the luckiest team in college football. Call on the field is touchdown. Video evidence does in fact show that it is a touchdown....but it gets overturned.

                                                                          <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LG7Gt6C9rFM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                          Ugh, I was so mad watching that.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                                                                            What was the issue here, I don't remember. Ineligible man downfield due to line releasing?
                                                                            I believe it should have been a delay of game called on MSU QB.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                                                                              What was the issue here, I don't remember. Ineligible man downfield due to line releasing?
                                                                              First, the play clock hit zero before the ball was snapped.

                                                                              Second, ineligible man downfield.

                                                                              Third, offensive pass interference where Harrison Smith had the play covered PERFECTLY but got run over by a MSU player.

                                                                              They missed three obvious infractions on the same play.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                                                                This isn't the "worst call" but one that I will never forget as it is the prime example of Michigan being the luckiest team in college football. Call on the field is touchdown. Video evidence does in fact show that it is a touchdown....but it gets overturned.

                                                                                <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LG7Gt6C9rFM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                Earlier in that game they had their center catch a pass 20 yards downfield. How did he get 20 yards downfield? Yeah....... exactly...................................... no flag.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  My favorite missed call because it ripped the heart out of scUM and especially Desmond Howard and happened in scUM's own stadium.

                                                                                  "The Trip" at about 5:15:

                                                                                  <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6NORCQnx4ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                  Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    One of the more recent and painful ones for Irish fans:

                                                                                    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SCxuVXRTt3I?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                    "Canada is the greatest nation in this country." -Allan Lamport

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                                                      Gotta go with the 2005 game against USC. The no call on the push, and the PAC-12 ref's response to it...slap in the face imo. Plus, USC was trying to call a time out with 7 seconds left and they had none left. Rules say that's a delay of game penalty that would have pushed them back 5 yards.
                                                                                      I was saying this the whole time I was reading all the inputs!!!
                                                                                      GO IRISH!!!

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by MrIrishCanadian1 View Post
                                                                                        One of the more recent and painful ones for Irish fans:

                                                                                        <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SCxuVXRTt3I?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                        This was pathetic. Maybe a penalty and loss of down, but being kicked out was terrible.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          look at the clock

                                                                                          Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                                                                                          What was the issue here, I don't remember. Ineligible man downfield due to line releasing?
                                                                                          EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by MNIrishman View Post
                                                                                            I wanted to see what everyone thought the worst call in college football history was, since it's the offseason and we need more FOOSBALL, BOBBY BOUCHER, FOOSBALL! going on. Honestly, I think the worst is this call in the 2006 Oklahoma-Oregon game:

                                                                                            <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dSIykYoM260" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                                            The second worst I can think of is the 2007 ND-Stanford game David Grimes catch:

                                                                                            <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pKh7-C0izlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                                            Another really awful call was in the 2013 Outback Bowl (2 mins 30 sec into video):
                                                                                            Highlights: Outback Bowl - Michigan vs. South Carolina (HD), 2013 - YouTube

                                                                                            <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QJCpoJFy-3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                                            Of course, Clowney got some justice against the Skunks for that blatant ref carnage. What are some other awful calls you can think of?

                                                                                            (I did a search for this topic and didn't see one; if one exists and a mod wants to merge, feel free)
                                                                                            Love Grimes lighthearted explanation as to why the refs called his clear catch incomplete, "They graduated from Stanford or they didn't get into Notre Dame."
                                                                                            When God does the big things, the little people get drawn in too. Human systems often forget that, but God doesn’t.- N.T. Wright "from "Simply Jesus"

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                              There were also some people that argued that Harrison Smith was moving to cover Gantt and was tackled.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                Texas win against Iowa State.

                                                                                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVw75K9C0-8
                                                                                                Last edited by EuropeanDomer; 07-29-2014, 11:53 AM.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Smith got straight up run-over while the pass was in the air haha

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                                                                                    There were also some people that argued that Harrison Smith was moving to cover Gantt and was tackled.
                                                                                                    <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/p5pQh12PzMs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/p5pQh12PzMs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

                                                                                                    It was blatant offensive pass interference. Kelly in the post game even said they were ready for it in field goal safe and thought they had it covered and he's not sure what happened and would have to watch the replay.

                                                                                                    Starting at around the 25 second mark, watch the two players on the right. They are both covered man-to-man. Harrison Smith gets grabbed (you can see his jersey pulled) by the one player as he moves to cover Gantt. He is held and ripped to the ground (watch the jersey stretch) which prevents him from running with Gantt... who simply trots wide open past him sprawled out on the ground.

                                                                                                    If you pause it at the 27 second mark, you can actually see how all three potential receivers are covered on that side.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X