• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt LaFleur - New QB Coach

Heard its Matt LeFleur.

Matt LaFleur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thoughts?

He's had a weird career ... how do you jump from Division II to the NFL? But his most recent job was to mentor RGIII ... with our current QB situation, I like that background.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
      Heard its Matt LeFleur.

Thoughts?
      Playing career[edit]

LaFleur attended Western Michigan University from 1998-1999 where he played wide receiver before transferring in 2000 to Saginaw Valley State, where he played quarterback from 2000-2002. LaFleur briefly played in the National Indoor Football League with the Omaha Beef before beginning his coaching career.

Coaching career[edit]

LaFleur's coaching career began at his alma mater, Saginaw Valley State, in 2003 where he served as an offensive graduate assistant. He proceeded to Central Michigan University where, from 2004-2005, he assisted the offensive staff. In 2006, he coached quarterbacks and receivers at Northern Michigan University. 2007 was his last year at the collegiate level; he was the offensive coordinator at Ashland University. LaFleur then was hired in 2008 by the Houston Texans to serve as an offensive assistant. He assisted both wide receivers and quarterbacks during his two year stint there and developed a close relationship with coordinator Kyle Shanahan. When Shanahan's father Mike was hired by the Redskins, Kyle brought LaFleur to Washington to coach the quarterbacks.[1] A primary responsibility of LaFleur's for the 2012 season will be to mentor rookie quarterbacks Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins, whom LaFleur was particularly fond of.[2]

Copied and pasted direct from Wikipedia page
      Last edited by connor_in; 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM.
      Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

Originally posted by connor_in View Post
        "of whom LaFleur was particularly fond."

If you're going to use "whom," get the proposition right.

Comment

O/U on # of times someone here suggests that Matt "cram it up his cramhole" when EG throws his first interception?

Comment

Originally posted by Emcee77 View Post
            He's had a weird career ... how do you jump from Division II to the NFL? But his most recent job was to mentor RGIII ... with our current QB situation, I like that background.
            How well did that go for the both of them though?

Comment

Originally posted by Pachuco View Post
              How well did that go for the both of them though?
              He was the one pushing for Cousins. Looks pretty smart right now.
              Originally posted by koonja
              I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                O/U on # of times someone here suggests that Matt "cram it up his cramhole" when EG throws his first interception?
                Reps. That's all I can think about when I read his name.

"Cram it up your cram-hole, LaFleur!"

Comment

My personal O/U per game is 3. May be low.
                  This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

...some guy with "Insider" info will claim that as proof for why he never liked the guy, and how its vindication for his tattered rep. for speaking up when the hire was made...blah, blah, blah...

Personally, I hope I remember to say cram it up his cramhole...

as for the hire...Kelly is calling the plays...and likely always will...so the career progression on the offensive side of the ball means you are leaving to get a real OC slot. With that kind of prospect, not sure you are going to get THE top/established position guys to come...

This guy sounds ok to me, has some familiarity with Kelly (Central Michigan)...and knows he too will get coached up on the coachin'...or at least I hope he knows that...
                    One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken
                      Coached up Dan LaFevour, I assume. Considering Dan was a RB his freshman year in high school and known more for just being an athlete at the QB position then became the all-time NCAA leader in career passing touchdowns (even if for only a short while), I would consider that very impressive (especially being at a school that was "just another shitty MAC school" before Brian Kelly got there). Plus that would mean previous experience with Brian Kelly which I like.
                      He left CMU before '06, LaFevour's first season of playing. He redshirted while he was there and might have recruited him.
                      Last edited by woolybug25; 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                          He left CMU before '06, LaFevour's first season of playing. He redshirted while he was there and might have recruited him.
                          Well shit.

Am I mixing my years up that bad? I could've sworn Dan played before then. I'm too young to be doing this crap.

Thanks for the correction, Wooly.
                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

WTF is that? I mean GB's post. Edit, ok it's a pic. Previous view was a huge pile of scrambled characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Emcee77 View Post
                              Gives a little background on how he made the jump.

Former Mt. Pleasant and SVSU star Matt LaFleur breaks into NFL as Houston Texans offensive assistant | MLive.com

Following his collegiate playing days, LaFleur played a stint in the National Indoor Football League, before beginning his coaching career as an assistant at SVSU. He followed that with a two-year stint at Central Michigan under Brian Kelly, one of the hottest names in college football.

That was followed by a year at Northern Michigan, before serving as the offensive coordinator for Ashland University in 2007. That’s when Matt received a call from an old friend.
                              Robert Saleh, LaFleur’s graduate assistant roommate at CMU, had taken a position as a defensive assistant with the Texans, and when an opening came up on the offensive side of the ball, he mentioned LaFleur.

“They had an opening, and he got me in,” LaFleur said. “I went down to the combine in Indianapolis and met a couple of the coaches. And when Houston came up and played Cleveland I drove over for the night to meet people.

“Coaching is really a big fraternity. You can get in if you know the right people. Robert was doing great work and they trusted him, and they decided to give me a shot.”

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                Well shit.

Am I mixing my years up that bad? I could've sworn Dan played before then. I'm too young to be doing this crap.

Thanks for the correction, Wooly.
                                ha... I only knew because when I saw that he coached at CMU, LaFoevour was the first thing I thought too. Then google saddened me...

Comment

I like it if its true, Kelly seems to appreciate guys who take the road less traveled much like himself.

He has had an odd career though

Comment

I have very strong feelings about this hire.

Comment

A pretty good article on his stint with the Texans.

One of the most intriguing hires was quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur, who followed offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan from Houston and was relatively unknown outside the Texans' organization. LaFleur was previously an offensive assistant and comes to Washington with rave reviews from Gary Kubiak, the Texans' head coach who expects LaFleur to greatly aid Kyle Shanahan.

"I think every coordinator needs a right-hand guy, from a quarterbacks standpoint, to be with him. He'll do a great job," Kubiak said. "He's just getting started. He's a very bright young man. To be honest with you, he's a lot like Kyle was four or five years ago."

The Texans hired LaFleur in 2008 on the recommendation of his good friend Robert Saleh, the Texans' assistant linebackers coach. LaFleur had previously held offensive coaching positions at Ashland University, Northern Michigan, Central Michigan and Saginaw Valley State.

With the Texans, LaFleur worked with receivers in his first year. Andre Johnson led the league with 115 catches and 1,575 receiving yards that season, and in Year 2, Kubiak decided to to put LaFleur with the quarterbacks. Last season, Matt Schaub led the league with 4,770 passing yards and 396 completions. The Texans' offense was ranked first in passing (4,654 yards).

"Basically, Kyle and I gained so much confidence in him, we had him do a lot of work with our quarterbacks," said Kubiak. "He just grew on us, kept doing a great job. Our quarterbacks gained a lot of confidence in him. His specialty was working with our backup quarterbacks, our second and third. And he just did a hell of a job."

Though both Mike and Kyle Shanahan are expected to work intimately with the Redskins' quarterbacks this season, it will be LaFleur who's technically in charge of Jason Campbell (assuming he returns for one more season, as many around the league expect) and possibly a rookie up-and-comer (assuming the Redskins draft a quarterback, which again, many around the league expect).
                                      Redskins Insider - In LaFleur, Redskins have coach whose specialty is passing

Comment

He's a very, very good QB coach. Got RGIII to play a dominant rookie season while also simultaneously preparing Kirk Cousins quite well for when he was called upon. Don't blame him for RGIII's regression... that's all injury and OL and coming back too early. Without his run threat teams pinned their ears back and attacked him all season.

Comment

If he's alright with BK...he's alright with me!

Comment

I was really hoping someone would get my LaFluer reference

Comment

And one with the Redskins:

During his tenure, LaFleur helped Rex Grossman set single-season career highs with 265 completions and a 57.9 completion percentage before taking over responsibility for coaching highly touted Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Robert Griffin III and former Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Cousins developed into a valuable backup with the Redskins, starting the last three games of the 2013 season.

Under his tutelage, Griffin III became the first rookie quarterback to be selected to the Pro Bowl, while leading Washington to its first NFC East championship in 13 years. Griffin III set franchise rookie records for completions (258), passing yards (3,200), touchdowns (20) and rushing yards by a quarterback (815).

I just wanted to share that Coach Shanahan has taught me a lot in just two years of being with him, said Redskins franchise quarterback Robert Griffin III in a conference call. I want to thank him for drafting me to the Washington Redskins and giving me a chance to live out my dreams.

I always want to thank Kyle and Matt for working so hard with me every day, day in and day out. We did a lot of great things together, and I wish all three of them the best in the future.
                                              Washington Redskins dismiss quarterbacks coach and Mount Pleasant native Matt LaFleur | MLive.com
                                              Last edited by Brooklyn; 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                "of whom LaFleur was particularly fond."

If you're going to use "whom," get the proposition right.
                                                To whom was said "proposition" proposed???

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                                  I was really hoping someone would get my LaFluer reference
                                                  I got it, good stuff. One of my favorite shows of all time: 'Doctor playing golf. Woo, boy howdy, now I’ve heard everything. What’s next, cop eating a donut?'
                                                  Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                                    I got it, good stuff. One of my favorite shows of all time: 'Doctor playing golf. Woo, boy howdy, now Ive heard everything. Whats next, cop eating a donut?'
                                                    Easily man, I've watched the whole series twice I thought it was that good. First 3 seasons were some of the best in TV history IMO.

Comment

I'm lost ...

Comment

And, as an old fart ... fuck this shit.

On the other hand, fully aware that many (most???) don't understand my historical, political, social and theological references, I'll play Riders on the Storm.

Comment

I'm pulling for Riley the kid is 29.

Lincoln Riley Bio - East Carolina Official Athletic Site

Riley's impact can simply be seen by looking at the Pirate record books as his units rank No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 on ECU's single-season passing list. In addition, two of his three squads are listed first and second on the school's yearly total offense ledgers.

Riley's first fall in Greenville installing and directing a new high-scoring spread offensive scheme was a record-breaker as the Pirates shattered or matched 29 team or individual school standards. His unit also rated among the nation's Top 10 - standing fifth in redzone efficiency, sixth in fourth-down conversion percentage and eighth in passing offense.

ECU's offense remained one of country's best statistically the following two years, finishing fifth in fourth-down percentage and 20th in passing offense during the 2011 campaign before standing third and fourth in redzone efficiency and fourth down percentage, respectively, in 2012.
                                                          "I'm not a film evaluator"
                                                          - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

Originally posted by dshans View Post
                                                            And, as an old fart ... fuck this shit.

On the other hand, fully aware that many (most???) don't understand my historical, political, social and theological references, I'll play Riders on the Storm.
                                                            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

HAHAHAHA! If You can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!
                                                              GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post

He was ruled out yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                                                  Heard its Matt LeFleur.

Thoughts?
                                                                  I thought he owned & operated a gym? Average Joe's is the name I think.
                                                                  GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                                                    He was ruled out yesterday
                                                                    Damn. Kid is going to be a star.
                                                                    - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post
                                                                      Hope I've had that success when I'm 29.
                                                                      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by Irish19 View Post
                                                                        Interesting. Isn't it a little odd to say 'if you know someone, you can get in'? I'd prefer it to be, 'if your really good and prove yourself, you'll get in', you know?
                                                                        Also, why jump down the ranks of NFL to the college leagues at the same position? Is he that good of friends with Kelly?

(Man is it frustrating having to take 20minutes to write a post and reread it 30 times because we all know Dshan is in the thread. LOL :D )

Comment

So has there been ANY word on this?

Comment

Lots of word...Envy words but na, nothing official yet. Should happen though.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by IrishBlood81 View Post
                                                                              ... 'if your really good and prove yourself, you'll get in' ...

(Man is it frustrating having to take 20minutes to write a post and reread it 30 times because we all know Dshan is in the thread. LOL :D )
                                                                              you're, dammit!!!

Comment

• #40
                                                                                you're, dammit!!!
                                                                                Your late, dammit!!! Doesn't count.

(and I did wrong again just to peeve you off)

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Your late, dammit!!! Doesn't count.

(and I did wrong again just to peeve you off)

No take-backs, no do-overs.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Praytorian View Post
                                                                                    So has there been ANY word on this?
                                                                                    Confirmed on Wikipedia.

So, it must be true right?

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      No take-backs, no do-overs.
                                                                                      D'shan is in the hizzy takin' homeboy here to school ya'llz.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          D'shan is in the hizzy takin' homeboy here to school ya'llz.
                                                                                          Ummm ... what the hell did you just say?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Ummm ... what the hell did you just say?

Just because I wrote it doesn't mean I know.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can confirm former <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Redskins&amp;src=hash">#Redskins</a> QB coach Matt LaFleur has landed the QB coach job at Notre Dame.</p>&mdash; Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeJonesWaPo/statuses/426396905342386176">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
                                                                                              <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                For those who are not familiar with his work:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_LaFleur

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  @JJStankevitz:
                                                                                                  Under LaFleur in 2012, Robert Griffin set the NFL record for rookie passer rating (102.4).
                                                                                                  - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

• #50

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X