Lennay Kekua, A Hoax!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennay Kekua, A Hoax!

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Anyone?
    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM.

All I can say is Whiskey......Tango......Foxtrot.

Comment

So...confused

Comment

Yeah!!!ANYONE?

Comment

Holy ****. A lot of people around campus suspected the relationship wasn't nearly as serious as it was made out to be, but this takes it to a whole new level and then some.

Comment

Someone wrote in the comments:

Erm, that's because she was registered under her real name, Lennay Marie Wochinski. Lennay Marie Kekua was her professional name.

Comment

There is no way this is true... Deadspin is a great "Sports Blog"... But I'd be shocked, SHOCKED if this is completely true. Manti would know it would be found out... as well as his family. I'm going to let this one fully play out before I form an opinion.

Comment

I remember when it first happened it was reported to be a close friend, not his girlfriend.

Comment

FWIW, I've seen acquaintances do stupid stuff like start relationship with "girls" they've met online through things like MMOs... "relationships" that go on for years without actually meeting. Is he really stupid enough to get conned?

This is the craziest thing I've read in forever.

Comment

Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                    I remember when it first happened it was reported to be a close friend, not his girlfriend.
                    True.

Comment

Ruh roh.

Comment

what. the. ****.

The reverse catfish going on?

Last edited by Buster Bluth; 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

wat

Comment

We all know how reliable sources Twitter and Facebook are to provide true journalistic integrity and accuracy (see: the Connecticut school shootings), so I have to take this with a huge grain of salt. Although there definitely seem to be some inconsistencies in the whole story, relying on social media to authenticate a theory is not overly convincing in my book.
                            I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

There is no way this is right. Right?

Comment

Craziest conspiracy theory I read in the comments:

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Comment

Jeez. Just heard this on the Score. Thought they would say something like he hadn't visited her or called her and her family was angry that Teo got so much attention... But she never existed????

Comment

I can't imagine deadspin wouldn't be sure before publishing. Writing stuff like this without being completely sure has to put you in some legal trouble.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                      FWIW, I've seen acquaintances do stupid stuff like start relationship with "girls" they've met online through things like MMOs... "relationships" that go on for years without actually meeting. Is he really stupid enough to get conned?

This is the craziest thing I've read in forever.
                                      I'm hoping this is correct.

I think it's more likely Manti was hoaxed by a person via the Internet than Manti hoaxed the rest of the world.

Hopefully
                                      Last edited by STLDomer; 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM. Reason: Misread at first
                                      “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                          If it is even 5% wrong, dragging Te'os name through the mud and using the death of someone for clicks should warrant a public flogging. Have people no shame?

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                            I really, really doubt Deadspin would run an article this lengthy without sourcing the hell out of it and being sure they're correct. Would be straight libelous if untrue and they'd get hit with a HUGE lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
                                              I'm thinking this is correct.

I think it's more likely Manti was hoaxed by a girl via the Internet than Manti hoaxed the rest of the world.
                                              Either way, this ain't good if true.
                                              "Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America"

Comment

What the ****?
                                                This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

Last edited by Irish Houstonian; 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Manti could go from being America's sweetheart to really, really hated. Depending on how the media spins this.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Houstonian View Post
                                                      WTF is this? Two people died, and Manti was close to both of them. This is fact. What's the "hoax"?
                                                      Read the article first, then post.
                                                      This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

Originally posted by LoveThee View Post
                                                        Someone wrote in the comments:

Erm, that's because she was registered under her real name, Lennay Marie Wochinski. Lennay Marie Kekua was her professional name.
                                                        That's a Seinfeld reference. Just someone making a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Houstonian View Post
                                                          WTF is this? Two people died, and Manti was close to both of them. This is fact. What's the "hoax"?
                                                          The girlfriend never existed.

Comment

This comment hit it on the head...

"He'screwed either way, he'll never hear the end of it."

This will be thrown at ND and Teo for ages... almost hope it's true so at least some of it is deserved,... I guess? confused about covers it.... but damn, talk about last person I would figure pulling something like that.
                                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

I hate to say it in this instance, but the reason I read deadspin on a daily basis is because of stuff like this. As crazy as all of this is, I still have a harder time believing deadspin would run this if they weren't positive about what they're reporting.

Holy **** this may be the weirdest thing I've ever heard of.

Comment

Don't want to rush to judgment too fast but can I get a refund on the lei shirt I got?

Comment

That article just pisses me off
                                                                  "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                                                    I hate to say it in this instance, but the reason I read deadspin on a daily basis is because of stuff like this. As crazy as all of this is, I still have a harder time believing deadspin would run this if they weren't positive about what they're reporting.

Holy **** this may be the weirdest thing I've ever heard of.
                                                                    Yup. Deadpsin runs little stuff all the time that might be wrong and usually has a question mark after the title and the updates it. I've NEVER seen them post an actual big story that they didn't source the heck out of.

Comment

Mind literally blown right now.

Comment

After reading it again...

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

This is insane. I don't even know what to think of this.

Comment

No way Manti and the university are this stupid. No way. There has to be an explanation. If no, I am pissed.

I do remember the first ESPN article to post on it said they were in a close relationship. Not GF.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I apologize if I'm reading this wrong... But is Deadspin at the end saying that Manti might possibly be a homosexual and that he was trying to cover it up with this story. Once again I'm not sure, but from the comments that is how some are reading it. Please don't Neg Rep if I'm wrong... Just very confused

Comment

• #40
                                                                                When do you think we get comment on it from Manti? Ever?

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by WakeUpEchoes View Post
                                                                                  No way Manti and the university are this stupid. No way. There has to be an explanation. If no, I am pissed.

I do remember the first ESPN article to post on it said they were in a close relationship. Not GF.
                                                                                  The problem is the report is saying there is no such person at all. GF/close friend is just debating semantics. This person may not have actually been real is the problem.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I won't believe it until it is reported so on ESPN.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                      When do you think we get comment on it from Manti? Ever?
                                                                                      Hopefully people come out soon with an explanation because the longer it goes on without something, the less likely they are to be telling the truth in the future.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Why does this **** always happen to us

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by RallySonsOfND View Post
                                                                                          I won't believe it until it is reported so on ESPN.
                                                                                          I wont believe it until it's vetted either. Deadspin isn't the bar for integrity in sports journalism. Furthermore, if this story is true, I find it bizarre that Deadspin is the first to report it.

I'm going to see how this thing plays out before jumping to conclusions.
                                                                                          Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                          I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            speechless

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Remember less than 2 weeks ago when we were kicking off the National Championship Game? Remember that? Good ****ing times.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
                                                                                                I'm hoping this is correct.

I think it's more likely Manti was hoaxed by a person via the Internet than Manti hoaxed the rest of the world.

Hopefully
                                                                                                That seems like the best possible scenario right now, and it's still embarrassing. Oy.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I know this seems like a easy thing to say now, but this whole thing never seemed a little....weird to anyone else? Not saying I, nor any of us, SHOULD HAVE caught it, but looking back I do think there are some things that seemed weird even at the time. Also, the media looks just as bad as Manti in this for running with the story with verifying any of it.

Honestly this is the strangest thing I've ever heard of.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                                                                                                    The problem is the report is saying there is no such person at all. GF/close friend is just debating semantics. This person may not have actually been real is the problem.
                                                                                                    Yup.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X