Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BCS title game postgame thoughts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BCS title game postgame thoughts

    First congrats to Bama. ND got taken behind the woodshed, no debating that.

    Thank you seniors, sucks it ended like this, but you've got a ton to be proud of.

    Offense should be better next year, although losing Eifert and Cave will hurt. But there is a ton of youth and talent especially at the skill positions.

    Kind of a bit bummed but i'll leave it at that for now.

  • #2
    Gotta start somewhere.
    Sucks for the seniors.
    The guys coming back and coming in should be that much hungrier to prove this year wasn't a fluke. And that it was a bad game vs a good team.
    RIP KMC 4/15/13

    Comment


    • #3
      Alabama won and dominated. We never really got it going, I didn't like the first 2 series on offense or defense for that matter and it set the tone.
      The original wakeuptheechoes not to be confused with wakeupechoes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Speaking just on the offense, we got wayyyyy too cute. Dumb to keep targeting their best DB. Only Eifert could really handle Milliner.

        Also, inexplicable to me why we didn't get Theo involved more against their LBs. I suspect we didn't because we knew Bama would expect it, so we didn't try very often.

        Essentially, we tried to do two things that we thought would be unexpected and both were MAJOR flops.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm going to keep my phone close for a little while.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm disappointed, but mostly for the seniors. It was one heckuva run, and I'm just sorry it didn't end better for them...but they should be proud of what they did accomplish this season and hold their heads up high regardless of the outcome of tonight's game.

            Comment


            • #7
              We didn't even show up.... That's the worst part about this... We are so much better than this...

              Comment


              • #8
                We'll be better because of this trashing. Daniels is gonna be a superstar.

                Comment


                • #9
                  A few weeks away....the Irish Mob will officially be announced. Then, the world will be warned of what's to come! Go Irish!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This was frustrating to watch. Bama was a better team but not by that much.

                    So much lack luster play from our defense. They played ugly.
                    The one who knocks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hard lessons hurt, But looking at what ND has accomplished this year and the heart that this team has I think we will remain a major contender for the years to come.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We need bulk and speed on Defense. Just looking at the size of our players to theirs. WOW

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          1) Thank you seniors!
                          2) We couldn't tackle for whatever reason tonight...
                          3) I think we over thought a ton in our game planning on both sides of the ball...especially in that first half...
                          4) Golson was in the moment tonight and performed admirably...We should be able to do BIG things with him behind the helm next year.
                          5) Lastly, I love you all...It's been a fun, wild ride and I'm looking forward to signing day, blue-gold game, and next season!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am only going to talk about the positives since I am eternal optimist:

                            Everett Golson is going to be a top 10 QB next year

                            Louis Nix played his heart out and I wish all our players had his heart

                            Davaris Daniels and TJ Jones will be a potent receiving corp next year. Daniels may have emerged tonight as our #1 for next year.

                            Eifert played well, but there was only so much he could do.


                            One negative I will say

                            Manti played absolutely terrible

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              We played a bad game all around. I feel bad, but I feel really good about the future of the program. Go Irish!
                              God, Country, Notre Dame

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Also, we played them even in the 2nd half and got stuff moving on the offensive side of the ball...

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                  I am only going to talk about the positives since I am eternal optimist:

                                  Everett Golson is going to be a top 10 QB next year

                                  Louis Nix played his heart out and I wish all our players had his heart

                                  Davaris Daniels and TJ Jones will be a potent receiving corp next year. Daniels may have emerged tonight as our #1 for next year.

                                  Eifert played well, but there was only so much he could do.


                                  One negative I will say

                                  Manti played absolutely terrible
                                  While Manti played poorly, I think the strategy was **** poor which put our lads in a position to look bad.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    In school they said keep it concise. My thoughts: F*ck
                                    "Nine out of ten times it's an electric razor, but every once in a while..."

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Feel awful for the seniors, but we will rise.
                                      "Nine out of ten times it's an electric razor, but every once in a while..."

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by connect the dots
                                        Notre Dame wasn't defeated, they were embarrassed, truly, embarrassed! This season was a complete failure.
                                        Not even a little bit. We had a tough schedule to go through and we did what many thought we would never do. Despite this loss, Notre Dame is back.

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          We lost battles that we knew, if we lost, it would be bad.

                                          We lost the line of scrimmage battle. Badly. As a result, our secondary got exposed.

                                          Combine that with bad tackling and you will have two sick RB's and the best O-line in years expose you.

                                          I am optimistic for the future, but can't look that far yet.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Originally posted by connect the dots
                                            Notre Dame wasn't defeated, they were embarrassed, truly, embarrassed! This season was a complete failure.
                                            Embarrassed yes, the season a complete failure? No way!

                                            How is a 12-1 season a failure when you started out unranked and most experts didn't expect you to win 8 games. This team and especially its seniors can walk around with their heads held high.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              My thoughts:

                                              1. Our team fell into a panic when they got down 14-0. The players, the coaches...everyone. On offense, BK got away from what got us here. He abandoned the run and started throwing bombs to get points. When stressed, he reverted back to his earlier days as a cinci coach...trying to throw it all over the field. You can't do that against a team like Alabama. We did exactly what they wanted us to do.

                                              2. Fundamentals. All season we prided ourselves on wrapping up and technique on defense. To Diaco's credit, he did adjust and there were dozens of times he had the defense in the right place at the right time but we started arm tackling and just whiffing.

                                              3. I wish we could get a mulligan for this and start over. I think if we had stuck with our game and used our capabilities to keep Alabama on their heals it wouldve been much closer. Eifert was used terribly.

                                              I hope BK learns from this. I still think he's an awesome coach, and will have ND back here again, but he's got to trust himself and his assitants. There was no reason to panic down 14-0. He became one-dimensional and predictable, next thing we know its 28-0.

                                              Teo? Man. I love him, but the biggest game of his career and he doesn't show up. Noone did. It like we were in awe of Alabama. We played scared, overrmatched, and got outcoached. Saban the wizard stole our mojo from the openning bell.

                                              Oh well. Great season. Hopefully our recruiting class holds together and we reload with more depth. Everything in life is a learning experience, we'll be back.

                                              Also, I couldnt help but think...how different would this have been with Aaron Lynch still on the team? He fiesty attitude wouldve been welcomed.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by connect the dots
                                                Notre Dame wasn't defeated, they were embarrassed, truly, embarrassed! This season was a complete failure.
                                                No! Where were we under Weis? That was complete failure. BK got us to the BCS Championship in a season when we were suppose to take a step backward. We have progressed and will see teams that will compete for the BCS going forward based on coaching, conditioning and recruiting.
                                                "The golden dome isn't going anywhere."

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Well if you know and understand football great teams win up front! That's what happened tonight and moving forward it is imparitove that we get better in that area! Secondly it was great to have DD back but we need true play makers outside ! I love the direction this program is moving but we simply were the inferior team tonight, and it was evident from the go. Seniors thanks for laying the foundation. The future of ND football is bright

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    This makes me remember how mad I was in '87 (really the game was in '88 but I always think of it as '87) after A&M beat us 35-10 in the Cotton Bowl.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

                                                      Can't wait for next year!

                                                      GO IRISH!

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        BK looked like someone who's dog just died. Hate it for him. It comes down to this for me...

                                                        The bad
                                                        • Emotionally, the team did not look ready.
                                                        • Tackle, tackle, tackle. Nothing more to say.
                                                        • McCarron was good, but our DBs got exposed. We have a lot more work to do here.
                                                        • Play calling to start the game.. wow. Come out throwing how many times in a row. And throw at an all-American CB how many times.


                                                        The good (ending with the positives)
                                                        • Golson is coming along. Good game. Still can improve checking down to WRs, but he'll get there. The game is starting to slow down for him
                                                        • D. Daniels had blossomed tonight. 2013 STUD
                                                        • Zeke and Nix played with heart. Love those guys.
                                                        • We learned a hard lesson tonight, the kids, but more importantly, BK. I think both will respond well.


                                                        All in all, we didn't play our game tonight. That mixed with Alabama being a better team led to the beat down. Tough lesson, but I think we will respond well in 2013. No reason why we can't go undefeated in 2013. Back in the saddle. GO IRISH. Love you all.
                                                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          The bright side?

                                                          Florida is never going to compete with that team so ALLGATOR and his ilk will be relegated to, at best, "meaningless" Sugar Bowls where the only thing that matters are the extra bowl practices.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            missed.......tackles......

                                                            something we never do?!?

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Originally posted by BobD View Post
                                                              Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

                                                              Can't wait for next year!

                                                              GO IRISH!
                                                              Well said!
                                                              "The golden dome isn't going anywhere."

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                I really want to know what would have happened if the refs didn't call that ridiculous fair catch interference.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Great season. Bad game. I' going to bed. Go Irish!
                                                                  God, Country, Notre Dame

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Originally posted by jcun View Post
                                                                    I really want to know what would have happened if the refs didn't call that ridiculous fair catch interference.
                                                                    Probably we score.

                                                                    But IMO not a game changer. With the way we played tonight, it would have went their way eventually.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      My thoughts:
                                                                      1. IMO, Teo and Motta played pretty poorly.
                                                                      2. Bama is a great football team
                                                                      3. Our defense didn't keep us in the game like they did earlier in the season
                                                                      4. Golson settled down as time went on and played pretty good considering the circumstances
                                                                      5. Lacey exposed our whole defense and McCaron picked our young secondary apart.

                                                                      Lets go get em next year boys. Great season! Exceeded everyone's expectations

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                        BK looked like someone who's dog just died. Hate it for him. It comes down to this for me...

                                                                        The bad
                                                                        • Emotionally, the team did not look ready.
                                                                        • Tackle, tackle, tackle. Nothing more to say.
                                                                        • McCarron was good, but our DBs got exposed. We have a lot more work to do here.
                                                                        • Play calling to start the game.. wow. Come out throwing how many times in a row. And throw at an all-American CB how many times.


                                                                        The good (ending with the positives)
                                                                        • Golson is coming along. Good game. Still can improve checking down to WRs, but he'll get there. The game is starting to slow down for him
                                                                        • D. Daniels had blossomed tonight. 2013 STUD
                                                                        • Zeke and Nix played with heart. Love those guys.
                                                                        • We learned a hard lesson tonight, the kids, but more importantly, BK. I think both will respond well.


                                                                        All in all, we didn't play our game tonight. That mixed with Alabama being a better team led to the beat down. Tough lesson, but I think we will respond well in 2013. No reason why we can't go undefeated in 2013. Back in the saddle. GO IRISH. Love you all.
                                                                        It's simple really, ND is very willing to give you the strong side of the field post corner. Our safeties were/are not fast enough to cover it. This has been the case all year, but only a few teams were able to take advantage of it.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Hats of to Eddie Lacy. I am convinced that he was the best RB in the country this year. We played Bell and Taylor and they were not even in the same universe as Lacy. Lacy went beast mode. He was breaking tackle, after tackle, after tackle.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            What I would have done different.

                                                                            I would have recieved after the coin flip... YOU CANT fall behind to team like Alabama, you need to strike first.

                                                                            Big mistake imo. But that didn't cost us the game, but maybe things would have played out different.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                              It's simple really, ND is very willing to give you the strong side of the field post corner. Our safeties were/are not fast enough to cover it. This has been the case all year, but only a few teams were able to take advantage of it.
                                                                              Luckily, we have stronger talent ready to replace our safeties. I think we'll reload with more depth and be a better team next season, probably more "complete".

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                the scary part to consider is motta finished around 14 tackles and still missed so many..

                                                                                yes we didnt tackle, but alot of tackles were broken tackles due to the size and speed of bama.

                                                                                hats off to bama.

                                                                                we are young. we are bringing in top end talent on both sides of the ball. make no mistake, the gap is closing, were on our way boys.

                                                                                thanks for the ride 12-13' squad and especially number 5.
                                                                                go irish.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  I was sure that 21-0 lead was all part of some divine plan to make the movie of this season more exciting. All I can say is that movie's ending really sucked.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                                                    What I would have done different.

                                                                                    I would have recieved after the coin flip... YOU CANT fall behind to team like Alabama, you need to strike first.

                                                                                    Big mistake imo. But that didn't cost us the game, but maybe things would have played out different.
                                                                                    I wish we could go back to 14-0 and not panic. Also, I would have told our players to tackle with their bodies not arms

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by jcun View Post
                                                                                      I really want to know what would have happened if the refs didn't call that ridiculous fair catch interference.
                                                                                      Originally posted by WakeUpEchoes View Post
                                                                                      Probably we score.

                                                                                      But IMO not a game changer. With the way we played tonight, it would have went their way eventually.
                                                                                      Gotta disagree here. That's the textbook definition of a game changer.

                                                                                      Mr. Mo (mentum) is a bitch.
                                                                                      "Nine out of ten times it's an electric razor, but every once in a while..."

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Does anyone think this could effect NDs recruiting class?

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Well, what the hell. It only took me about 3 years to get all those vbucks, anyway.
                                                                                          Please, Mr. Bartender, listen here. I ain't here for trouble so have no fear. . .

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Irishcop View Post
                                                                                            Does anyone think this could effect NDs recruiting class?
                                                                                            No

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              I was really disappointed with the defensive play and the offensive play calling but what I am most sad about is that KLM looked like his knee injury was serious and that could ruin any chance he had at the NFL :(

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by GreenSox04 View Post
                                                                                                the scary part to consider is motta finished around 14 tackles and still missed so many..

                                                                                                yes we didnt tackle, but alot of tackles were broken tackles due to the size and speed of bama.

                                                                                                hats off to bama.

                                                                                                we are young. we are bringing in top end talent on both sides of the ball. make no mistake, the gap is closing, were on our way boys.

                                                                                                thanks for the ride 12-13' squad and especially number 5.
                                                                                                go irish.
                                                                                                a lot of the tackles were arm tackles when it was 3 ND players vs 1 Bama player. I dont know what went wrong with our preperation, but something certainly did.

                                                                                                All the award shows maybe? Took the focus off the preperation? BK said his problem last year was that he too busy promoting ND and lost sight of his team. Maybe he fell into that trap again? along with Teo.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Proud of our kids...Win or lose. It was one hell of a year.

                                                                                                  I've had issues with a few of our players throughout the year, but, in the end, they are ND kids. Still love them like my own.

                                                                                                  That said, Mr. Diaco had one of the worst games of his life. We're getting gashed up the gut, yet, he's committing 2 rushers on each side of the line driving the fringe, none of which ever got home, leaving Louis Nix on a dingy all alone while Bama's line is driving downhill kicking our lb's in the yam bag.

                                                                                                  If anyone should be embarrased, stand up Mr. Diaco. It's your time to be recognized. You dropped your pants with 5 weeks to get it right. Total Crap.

                                                                                                  Rest easy, Gentlemen of the St. Joseph River.... You've made us proud. Win or lose, you've put us back on the map. Things are looking up because of all of you.

                                                                                                  Thank you ND.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by tommyIRISH23 View Post
                                                                                                    a lot of the tackles were arm tackles when it was 3 ND players vs 1 Bama player. I dont know what went wrong with our preperation, but something certainly did.

                                                                                                    All the award shows maybe? Took the focus off the preperation? BK said his problem last year was that he too busy promoting ND and lost sight of his team. Maybe he fell into that trap again? along with Teo.
                                                                                                    BK mentioned a few different times that the lack of depth on the OL and DL prevented a large number of physical practices with 1's vs 1's. Clearly that had an impact tonight.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X