Coaching: BK and the NFL, Diaco and Head Coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching: BK and the NFL, Diaco and Head Coaching

So the issue of Diaco moving on to take a head coaching job somewhere has been discussed at length.

I just got done reading an article about Chip Kelly having to make a decision to coach in the NFL. Is it possible that BK could be on that track with a couple of good seasons? Or is BK the college coach for life type?

Discuss.
    Last edited by PraetorianND; 11-01-2012, 06:39 PM.

Why in the world would Kelly leave for the NFL?

Comment

I doubt BK would ever leave Notre Dame for the NFL. If he has a couple of great years he will get paid more than most NFL coaches. And he truly wants to be hear. The only exception would be if he were here for 10 years and eventually just wanted something new.

Diaco on the other hand probably won't be here after next year at the most.
      .....Before I Get Out

Comment

I think it depends on the progression of the offense in the next few seasons. If the defense continues to play exceptional football (it will), and BK decides to stick with the run-focused offense rather than his high-flying spread attack, it may be telling about his intentions.

He has the proper QB's on the roster (Golson, Kiel, and incoming Zaire) to run the full spread passing attack that he liked at UC and CMU, but if he stays conservative it will show that he is just as capable at developing a run-heavy system. If he wins a couple BCS games or a national championship, and sticks with the run-first offense for the duration, I could see him going to the next level and trying to implement his balanced offense with an NFL team.

Comment

Wasn't the collective just talking about how awful both these guys are? :)

See Tulsa (Kelly). See Navy (Diaco).

Totally in over their heads.

Comment

I don't think BK is the NFL type. College seems to be his niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
              Love posts like this...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion10 View Post
                I think it depends on the progression of the offense in the next few seasons. If the defense continues to play exceptional football (it will), and BK decides to stick with the run-focused offense rather than his high-flying spread attack, it may be telling about his intentions.

He has the proper QB's on the roster (Golson, Kiel, and incoming Zaire) to run the full spread passing attack that he liked at UC and CMU, but if he stays conservative it will show that he is just as capable at developing a run-heavy system. If he wins a couple BCS games or a national championship, and sticks with the run-first offense for the duration, I could see him going to the next level and trying to implement his balanced offense with an NFL team.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

It sounds like Saturday could be a showcase of a more high-powered offense, higher-tempo offense since he said they ran 118 plays in practice instead of the previous 80.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why Chip Kelly is always linked to NFL jobs?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                      /end thread

Comment

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                        Well, I'm not sure if you disagree greatly or you don't want that to be the case haha

Comment

I know its early to be thinking about this, but maybe give diaco an exstension with a "coach in waiting" clause?
                          "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by GreatGolson View Post
                            I know its early to be thinking about this, but maybe give diaco an exstension with a "coach in waiting" clause?
                            no. ND will never and should never hire a first time head coach ever again. EVER. AGAIN.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

This is the first year that Diaco has been overly successful, and the year isn't even over yet...now the guy is a huge national candidate for head coaching gigs? He's gonna have to build a bit more of a resume, unless he wants to coach at Mt. Union. Not to mention there's so many guys ahead of him as far as successful assistants go...slow down folks.

Comment

Originally posted by RallySonsOfND View Post
                                It sounds like Saturday could be a showcase of a more high-powered offense, higher-tempo offense since he said they ran 118 plays in practice instead of the previous 80.
                                We have been waiting for the high-tempo offense since Kelly got here. I will believe it when I see it.

I also don't fear Kelly going to the NFL anywhere near Diaco coaching somewhere else. Like mentioned above I think Kelly's niche is in college football. Diaco though has made such a great showing that I fear a lot of teams will have him on their radar when their head coach position opens up. My only hope is he enjoys what he does here so much that he want to stay here and be a part of whats going on.

Comment

Way too early for either discussion, but I'll bite. Assuming BK and Diaco continue to be successful.... IMO

Kelly going to NFL in next 5 years - 1%
                                  Kelly going to the NFL in 6-10 years - 10%
                                  Kelly going to the NFL in 10+ years - 50%
                                  Diaco going to a Major D1 next year - 5%
                                  Diaco going to a Major D1 in 2-3 years - 10%
                                  Diaco going to a minor D1 next year - 10%
                                  Diaco going to a minor D1 in 2-3 years - 50%

I'd like to think BK is a lifer, but we all know $#!+ happens. He does have a background in politics, so I could see an NFL career in his mid to long term future. Diaco,,, more complicated. He will get calls from the minor D1s end of season. Likely ones that will be a complete rebuild, or a long term HC retiring. It think it will be a question of "I think I'm ready, and I'm going to prove it", or "I'm going hang for a couple years, create a power resume, and wait for the right job", or, my favorite, "I love being a DC, hate the spotlight, and might as well stay at ND forever".
                                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by JadeBrecks View Post
                                    We have been waiting for the high-tempo offense since Kelly got here. I will believe it when I see it.

I also don't fear Kelly going to the NFL anywhere near Diaco coaching somewhere else. Like mentioned above I think Kelly's niche is in college football. Diaco though has made such a great showing that I fear a lot of teams will have him on their radar when their head coach position opens up. My only hope is he enjoys what he does here so much that he want to stay here and be a part of whats going on.
                                    I agree. I don't think every coach belongs in the NFL, some guys are more suited to college football. From what I have seen of Coach Kelly he seems like a guy very suited to the college game and I believe him when he says he has his dream job.
                                    Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

Kelly is a college coach and, I suspect, he would be a failure in the NFL, as was Holtz, Saben, "the old ball coach" and many others.
                                      And many successful NFL coaches are terrible college coaches. I suffered through the Joe Kuharich years at ND. Our recent experiment with NFL offensive coordinators didn't end well either.
                                      It takes a wise man not to rise to the level of his incompendance.
                                      I think Diaco would be another Bob Davies as a head coach.
                                      Some make it: consider Jimmy Johnson, although he had to deal with a salary cap at Dallas which didn't plague him at Miama.
                                      Last edited by irish1958; 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Redbar View Post
                                        I agree. I don't think every coach belongs in the NFL, some guys are more suited to college football. From what I have seen of Coach Kelly he seems like a guy very suited to the college game and I believe him when he says he has his dream job.
                                        I kind of have to agree as well. I've heard interviews where he talks about having a coaching philosophy. His was mostly based around coaching 18-21 year olds and focusing on player development. He wouldn't get that in NFL and I'm sure he knows that.

Comment

Why would Kelly go to the NFL if he can roll in top talent and win big at ND?

Comment

Originally posted by ickythump1225
                                            Chip Kelly in the NFL... that makes me laugh. Chip Kelly's offense wouldn't make it out of training camp in the NFL. Ask Steve Spurrier how gimmicky offenses work in the NFL. Not even Nick Saban could make the jump. Very few coaches can do it, Jimmy Johnson's an exception.

As for BK I don't think he'd go the NFL. I mean ND for a long time was the most sought after job in coaching and as long as BK keeps us on the winning track it will be once again. If we win a MNC with him he's going to make more money than he could ever dream of spending and he'll be beloved for generations of Irish fans.
                                            What about Harbaugh who runs a similar offense we are running now?

Comment

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                              no. ND will never and should never hire a first time head coach ever again. EVER. AGAIN.
                                              I agree. I think it's just good practice for a major CFB program to hire coaches with previous HC experience. I like the idea of hiring a coach who is working his way up the ranks, just like Brian Kelly. He showed success everywhere he went. Urban Meyer, Les Miles, and Nick Saban all had success at other schools as a HC before being promoted to the big time. The one coach who I do think could is going to be good for a long while with no previous HC experience is Will Muschamp.
                                              "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

Originally posted by JadeBrecks View Post

At the end of this year the only radar's he'll be on our minor programs. He might want another 2 to 3 years of continued success and get a crack at a bigger job down the road.
                                                "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

Kelly's been a college head coach for nearly 25 years now, has never held a job in the NFL in any capacity, and is at one of the premier head coaching jobs in college football. I'd be absolutely stunned if he went to the NFL.

Diaco will probably get a head coaching job at some point, but that's probably at least a few years down the road. I don't see him taking over at some dumpster fire of a program in the MAC, which is probably all he'll get at this point.

Comment

Completely forgot about Harbaugh. But I still feel like my general point, that most coaches can't make the jump from college to pro smoothly, stands.
                                                    The thing about BK though is that he has won at every level so convincingly. Also, with the defense that ND has going right now I'm sure some NFL team is interested (or will be).

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago Irish Fan View Post
                                                      Kelly's been a college head coach for nearly 25 years now, has never held a job in the NFL in any capacity, and is at one of the premier head coaching jobs in college football. I'd be absolutely stunned if he went to the NFL.
                                                      Exactly. He just seems to enjoy college football and has never really shown any inclination to go to the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                                        I agree. I think it's just good practice for a major CFB program to hire coaches with previous HC experience. I like the idea of hiring a coach who is working his way up the ranks, just like Brian Kelly. He showed success everywhere he went. Urban Meyer, Les Miles, and Nick Saban all had success at other schools as a HC before being promoted to the big time. The one coach who I do think could is going to be good for a long while with no previous HC experience is Will Muschamp.
                                                        I'd throw Charlie Strong on that list as well

Comment

Originally posted by irishroo View Post
                                                          I'd throw Charlie Strong on that list as well
                                                          He's really impressed me a Louisville. I wasn't expecting much but that program looks pretty good right now.

Comment

kelly wont go to the nfl. he wouldnt be able to the dictator there. he's not interested in being parcells of bilicheck. too many head cases in the nfl. way too much, what have you done for me lately. college definitely the niche.

why arent more people worried about martin jumping ship? i dont see this happening either. but, its funny how this isnt mentioned.
                                                            i think the next coach to leave is kerry cooks.
                                                            Oh yeah, I ain't allowed to say "goddamn" no more.--D-Bob

Comment

Originally posted by UmphreakDomer View Post
                                                              kelly wont go to the nfl. he wouldnt be able to the dictator there. he's not interested in being parcells of bilicheck. too many head cases in the nfl. way too much, what have you done for me lately. college definitely the niche.

why arent more people worried about martin jumping ship? i dont see this happening either. but, its funny how this isnt mentioned.
                                                              i think the next coach to leave is kerry cooks.
                                                              I agree. I am worried about Martin. I was pretty surprised when Charlie left last year (hope he turns around UMass), but I have a feeling ND will be a short stop for coordinators much like USC under Carroll in the future.

Comment

I can't possibly see Kelly being a guy that goes to the NFL....He is a former politician and I think he really enjoys the job of coaching young kids. Pete Carrol left for the NFL because he knew **** was coming downhill at SC and didn't want to deal with it. Saban went and came back, Greg Schiano left because he was at Rutgers...Not to hit another one up but charlie left for the nfl and is now at Kansas, coaching college is an easier lifestyle and at the top programs you can make more money than a lot of NFL coaches so it wouldn't make sense. The cream of the college crop in coaching would already be in the NFL if they wanted...
                                                                Day by Day......Play by Play

Comment

Harbaugh's an interesting parallel. Both he and Kelly seem to be more about player development than any particular schematics (I know, Kelly's got his spread. But his ND record looks more like that of a pragmatist than a system guy). That's something you associate more with college than the NFL.
                                                                  But Harbaugh had a lot more NFL ties. Played in the league for 15 years. His brother's a coach. Kelly's a college guy. Never played or coached in the NFL. Knows how to build college programs. Why mess with that?

Comment

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!
                                                                    I do not like Brian Kelly as a coach.

Comment

Texas had Will Muschamp as a head coach in waiting but at the time there was no sign in sight of mac retiring. I bet Texas is kicking there own asses for not keeping him around he is doin really great in Florida!!! I really think Notre Dame needs to hold on to Diaco and to them selves make it tentative to keep him at all cost to see were it might go.

Comment

I don't see Brian Kelly putting up with the type of sh!t coaches have to deal with from NFL players.

Comment

Bk said the other day that he builds his programs based on player development. And that his entire coaching philosophy is centered on that. Leads me to believe he's a college coach for life. Unless he gets bored after his tenth consecutive title

Comment

If we win a MNC with him he's going to make more money than he could ever dream of spending and he'll be beloved for generations of Irish fans.
                                                                            Worst. Acronym. Ever.
                                                                            Working in the South til I can retire in the North.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I had to look up what MNC stood for.

I agree it's pretty bad.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Not sure BK's system and discipline would work in the NFL. I think he knows this and many would argue Head Football Coach at ND is as if not more prestigious.

It's not every football coach's dream to become a head coach. I have a feeling this staff's #1 goal is to bring a NC (if not more) to ND and it is probably obvious to them that they are on their way to achieving that goal. As long as they keep their salaries competitive, I do not see any of them moving anytime soon.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  If I were Swarbrick I would give Diaco all the money in the world because I love Diaco and would not like to see him go. I would give him the "coach in waiting clause" in a couple of years after Kelly has won a couple of big time bowl games (National Championship) just in case. Diaco is a great coach and the players love him almost more than Kelly.

KELLY, WILL NEVER LEAVE FOR THE NFL!! When you come to Notre Dame, it is an NFL Head Coaching job times a million. You come to Notre Dame, you don't get to leave.
                                                                                  AgentScarn3

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Koreyirishkelly View Post
                                                                                    If I were Swarbrick I would give Diaco all the money in the world because I love Diaco and would not like to see him go. I would give him the "coach in waiting clause" in a couple of years after Kelly has won a couple of big time bowl games (National Championship) just in case. Diaco is a great coach and the players love him almost more than Kelly.

KELLY, WILL NEVER LEAVE FOR THE NFL!! When you come to Notre Dame, it is an NFL Head Coaching job times a million. You come to Notre Dame, you don't get to leave.
                                                                                    i think in a live chat with eric hansen a few weeks ago he was asked about this scenario--which coach is leaving--his answer is that most people's opinions around campus is that diaco's dream job path is the nfl. alford couldve left last year for the packers and chose to stay. best shot at winning a ring right out of the gate--and still said no.

coach martin was asked to go to CMU with kelly. said no. took the HC job at gvsu where he won 2 more NC. was asked to go to cincy when BK went there. said no. stayed at GVSU and was in the NC conversation another 3 years. upon his hiring at ND, martin, a chicago guy, couldnt pass it up. martin isnt going anywhere for awhile. and if there is a "coach in waiting"--it might be him.
                                                                                    Oh yeah, I ain't allowed to say "goddamn" no more.--D-Bob

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Frankly I don't see Chip's value in the NFL. I don't see Brian leaving either. Diaco is a foregone conclusion that at some point he will go. But 1 year doesn't make a head coach.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by In Lou I Trust View Post
                                                                                        Worst. Acronym. Ever.
                                                                                        It's an old saying "mythical national champion." It doesn't really mean anything anymore.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Chip Kelly in the NFL... that makes me laugh. Chip Kelly's offense wouldn't make it out of training camp in the NFL. Ask Steve Spurrier how gimmicky offenses work in the NFL. Not even Nick Saban could make the jump. Very few coaches can do it, Jimmy Johnson's an exception.

As for BK I don't think he'd go the NFL. I mean ND for a long time was the most sought after job in coaching and as long as BK keeps us on the winning track it will be once again. If we win a MNC with him he's going to make more money than he could ever dream of spending and he'll be beloved for generations of Irish fans.
                                                                                          You do realize that Belichick had Chip Kelly come to the Patriots training camp this year so he could teach them his offense right?
                                                                                          Hi!

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by ndfi78 View Post
                                                                                            You do realize that Belichick had Chip Kelly come to the Patriots training camp this year so he could teach them his offense right?
                                                                                            New England is not running the spread offense and for good reason.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by ndfi78 View Post
                                                                                              He was not invited to camp to teach Belichick the offense.

Come on. How many of the four offensive plays that Kelly runs do you see the Patriots using this year?

He was invited so he could pick Chip's brain about his philosophy and tempo.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                And how are the Patriots doing this year....

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I dont see BK going anywhere anytime soon...and as far as Diaco, hopefully ND Administration has learned over the past 15 years how valuable a good coach is.

ND needs to back up the Brinks truck to Diaco's house and start unloading mounds of cash until he signs a long term contract....pay him near HC money if you have to. Do whatever needs to be done to retain his services.

consider all the coaching changes ND has gone thru, and how the defense at ND has never really been a 'thing' at ND. If ND administration has not learned how valuable a good coach is by now, then they will never get it and the last 15 years was truly wasted.

Godfather jokes aside, they need to make an offer to Diaco that he cant refuse, I cant stress this enough. Notre Dame has the power and resources to do it.
                                                                                                  Last edited by TDHeysus; 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM.
                                                                                                  YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
                                                                                                  Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by IrishLax
                                                                                                    No, there is an extremely small to almost zero possibility of BK leaving ND for the NFL.

There is also a very small chance of Diaco leaving ND for a HC job after this season from what I've heard... he's very likely to stick around for a couple more years and then move on to a higher tier opening than what he would get offered this season.
                                                                                                    For reals. If anything, and dynamic 3-4 defensive coordinator is much more in demand in the NFL than a spread-offense type of head coach. The last real offensive guru hired in the NFL from college was Spurrier...

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X