Offensive Line Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

I never said Hiestand was a bad recruiter. I said that he didn't like it and when he missed, he really missed.

It's not like 2018 was the only year he missed. 2015 was almost as bad as 2018 prior to Quinn being hired. They landed Hoge (who transferred) and Ruhland (a solid depth body and nothing more). Hiestand absolutely had some great classes, but having great classes means a lot less if you're following them up with bad classes.

And you say that I keep beating that dead horse. The problem is that it isn't a dead horse, it's a problem that persists on THIS YEAR'S TEAM. The 2018 class are the seniors of this year's team.

We're wondering why the OL is playing as poorly as they are, and a big reason is because Hiestand gave us a terrible 2018 OL class where we can rely on nobody from that class, sans Patterson, to provide anything in the 2-deep. And as Bobby mentioned, Quinn's first class in 2019 was also guys that were scouted mostly by Hiestand and the staff prior to that.

I bring this up, because that's your senior leadership and the guys who should be the furthest along in their development. This year, we have Patterson and that's it. Most years, we'd have a good collection of senior leadership up front or we'd get a guy or two that comes back. We got that in 2017 when guys like McGlinchey and Nelson decided to come back.

This year, we didn't get that. Banks and Hainsey could've returned and it would have helped tremendously. Instead, we ended up doubling the number of holes we had to fill, and it fell initially on the senior class to fill them, which they could not do, because there was nobody. Patterson was already at center coming off an injury, Dirksen is a depth body and not much else, and Mabry and Jones are no longer on the roster.

That's a massive whiff and it is a a HUGE reason why we're having the problems we're having now. You can't miss that badly on an OL class and expect things to not take a hit. Injuries up front have only exacerbated the issue and made that class whiff all the more apparent.
    Again, one poor season does not kill everything. Does it hurt your depth? Yes, absolutely, but if you're recruiting well in the other years you should be okay. It's only fair if you're dogging on Harry you look at Quinn's misses that have contributed.

John Olmstead was a four star talent from 2019 that should be a starter by now, but transferred. Quinn Carroll is another four star talent from that class that didn't pan out. Kristofic is at least in the 2 deep as another four star talent from that class, but that's not exactly promising given the production of the OL on the right side with Madden and Lugg. Zeke Correll is the only starter in that class, so Quinn went 1 for 4 there. 2020 wasn't much better with just two recruits, one of which was Carmody who had to step in for the injured Big Fish, and Tosh was the other.

Obviously 2021's class is Quinn's best work to date, going 2 for 4 between Rocco and Fish as big wins, but the fact remains that 2018 wasn't the only reason we're in the trouble we are in right now...and it's telling that these freshmen beat out or are pushing upperclassmen for snaps. One bad year can hurt the depth, but it doesn't wreck your OL. It takes multiple misses over back to back years before things get ugly. Hiestand left talent for Quinn in the form of Banks, Hainsey, Eichenberg, Kraemer, etc. The struggles today are on Quinn. If he were to leave today you can't argue that our OL situation would be worse presently and in the future than what he inherited from Harry.
    Last edited by ulukinatme; 09-29-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

Again, one poor season does not kill everything. Does it hurt your depth? Yes, absolutely, but if you're recruiting well in the other years you should be okay. It's only fair if you're dogging on Harry you look at Quinn's misses that have contributed.

John Olmstead was a four star talent from 2019 that should be a starter by now, but transferred. Quinn Carroll is another four star talent from that class that didn't pan out. Kristofic is at least in the 2 deep as another four star talent from that class, but that's not exactly promising given the production of the OL on the right side with Madden and Lugg. Zeke Correll is the only starter in that class, so Quinn went 1 for 4 there. 2020 wasn't much better with just two recruits, one of which was Carmody who had to step in for the injured Big Fish, and Tosh was the other.

Obviously 2021's class is Quinn's best work to date, going 2 for 4 between Rocco and Fish as big wins, but the fact remains that 2018 wasn't the only reason we're in the trouble we are in right now...and it's telling that these freshmen beat out or are pushing upperclassmen for snaps. One bad year can hurt the depth, but it doesn't wreck your OL. It takes multiple misses over back to back years before things get ugly. Hiestand left talent for Quinn in the form of Banks, Hainsey, Eichenberg, Kraemer, etc. The struggles today are on Quinn. If he were to leave today you can't argue that our OL situation would be worse presently and in the future than what he inherited from Harry.

One poor class can absolutely kill everything, especially when that class is your senior class and especially when it's the OL we're talking about. Because as you said, the 2019 class hasn't translated as we had hoped with Carroll and Olmstead. It wasn't because Quinn recruited poorly. He recruited a class of 4 guys and all 4 were 4-star guys. The only one that was a miseval was Olmstead. Carroll wasn't a miseval, he got hurt and it's apparent he never recovered fully from it, which is understandable for a guy his size dealing with an ACL tear and then having to come back from that during a year where COVID interrupted the offseason. Correll is and was a good center prospect, but he's being forced to play guard due to there being no one there. Kristofic is showing promise at guard, but pretty much every one had him projected to tackle.

I think we can blame Quinn for that class not translating as well as it should, given the rankings. But at least he got bodies and stars.

The problem with 2018 is that it was lacking in both bodies and stars. At the very least, you can create competition and force guys to improve through it.

Hiestand left him some quality talent from the '16 and '17 classes and he developed them into a great unit. But those guys are all pretty much gone now. And it's now 2018's turn to take the mantle of leadership. But there's nobody there, sans Patterson, because that '18 class was that bad.

I repeat this, because it really is a problem. Whiffing on a class is normally bad enough, but the OL is such an integral position to whiff on an entire class, and it's a position where experience and chemistry are at such a premium that having next to no senior leadership to rely on is a recipe for disaster.
      It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• I feel like everyone is just copy/pasting the same wall of text over and over in this thread lol.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
          I feel like everyone is just copy/pasting the same wall of text over and over in this thread lol.

Comment

• From the sounds of it, Harry Hiestand has zero interest in coaching in college again, let alone Notre Dame. Didn't like the recruiting part of the job despite being pretty good at it from what I could gather while he was here working for Kelly.

Doesn't appear in the cards in the event anyone in this thread or elsewhere was holding out hope.
            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Some interesting feedback from Aaron Taylor here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                From the sounds of it, Harry Hiestand has zero interest in coaching in college again, let alone Notre Dame. Didn't like the recruiting part of the job despite being pretty good at it from what I could gather while he was here working for Kelly.

Doesn't appear in the cards in the event anyone in this thread or elsewhere was holding out hope.
                Not sure ND has any interest in getting Harry back anyways according some posts made by Lax awhile back.

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post

Not sure ND has any interest in getting Harry back anyways according some posts made by Lax awhile back.
                  I suspect it is quite mutual at this point. Seems he was content in living off the Bears' buyout money and waiting for another NFL gig to open up.
                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• A guy can dream. If it came down to recruiting you would think they could have him do light work or something and have the rest of the staff pick up the slack just to get him on board. It's just the fact he's sitting at home and not working for anybody (Probably by his choice, he is at that age) and we're once again struggling with Quinn at the helm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

I suspect it is quite mutual at this point. Seems he was content in living off the Bears' buyout money and waiting for another NFL gig to open up.
                      Does he want to work at all? He went back to the NFL for a season to collect his pension. He mailed it in there too.

ND's the greatest thing to every happen to HH.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

Some interesting feedback from Aaron Taylor here.
                        I don't know why, but I have a feeling the O-line is going to hold up pretty well tomorrow.

Comment

Some interesting feedback from Aaron Taylor here.
                          this is well worth the listen. Thanks for posting it lax.
                          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

I don't know why, but I have a feeling the O-line is going to hold up pretty well tomorrow.
                            I had a similar feeling. and we are probably going to be dead wrong lol, but I just have this gut feeling that the OL has had enough of the criticism and they show up.

Not on the same level that we've grown accustomed to the past few years, but they'll have the best game of the season, I think.
                            My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

I had a similar feeling. and we are probably going to be dead wrong lol, but I just have this gut feeling that the OL has had enough of the criticism and they show up.

Not on the same level that we've grown accustomed to the past few years, but they'll have the best game of the season, I think.
                              I think they have gotten better each game. Obviously Wisconsin looks bad, but their front 7 is really good. With Carmody coming back, I think you are right that they will be better.

Comment

• The interior of Cincy's D line is supposedly their weak spot. With Carmody back, I have a glimmer of hope that we actually get surprised here and WHAT?! ND pounds it for 150 yards rushing, including a game ending 6:00 drive ending with a knee at the 4 yard line.

Comment

• For a team that has a reputation for creating havoc and getting sacks, they really haven't done that so far.

Wisconsin had a higher sack percentage going into the ND game than Cincinnati had. Wisconsin was sitting at over 7% while Cincy was just over 4%.

ND rose that number to be sure, but I think Wisconsin has a better pass rush than people are willing to admit. Cincinnati can creating some havoc, but they also can be run on and you can gameplan around them to move the ball, as Indiana did. It just comes down to executing and not making horrible mistakes that cost you points. Indiana missed out on several scoring opportunities because of really poor turnovers.
                                  It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Indiana essentially gave that game over to Cincinnati with 3 INTs, giving up a 99 yard kick return TD and I believe at least one costly fumble (not positive on the fumble but that’s what my memory is telling me).

Comment

• Originally posted by RockinIrish View Post
                                      Indiana essentially gave that game over to Cincinnati with 3 INTs, giving up a 99 yard kick return TD and I believe at least one costly fumble (not positive on the fumble but that’s what my memory is telling me).
                                      Didn't help Indiana either that their best player and defensive captain was ejected for a bullsh*t targeting call.

And that same bullsh*t targeting call was on a play that would've been a three and out, with Cincy down 14-0 with only about 2 minutes left in the half. Instead, Cincy gets 15 yards, fresh downs and gets to try to score without having to deal with an All-Big Ten LB ruining their day.
                                      It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                        The interior of Cincy's D line is supposedly their weak spot. With Carmody back, I have a glimmer of hope that we actually get surprised here and WHAT?! ND pounds it for 150 yards rushing, including a game ending 6:00 drive ending with a knee at the 4 yard line.
                                        Lol. Don't be ridiculous.

Comment

• Well, time heals all wounds.

Remember, Alt just arrived in June
                                          In Spring the roster will have two
                                          third year players, Tosh Baker and Michael Carmondy
                                          two second year players, Joe Alt and Blake fisher.

ALL FOUR STARS or BETTER,
                                          .All big enough right now (even though Baker needs one more winter of Balis.

Comment

• Will Blake return this year if he's healthy or will he take a "redshirt" year?

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                                              Will Blake return this year if he's healthy or will he take a "redshirt" year?
                                              I def think red shirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                                                Will Blake return this year if he's healthy or will he take a "redshirt" year?
                                                He can still participate in 3 more games and preserve it.

Comment

• Question then is who moves inside? I don’t see Alt or Tosh moving inside. Carmody is best fit inside out of the 4 tackles

Comment

• Transfers are a concern. We have several VERY talented young guys we need to move forward with beyond this year. This should have Kelly up at night thinking of a new way to coach them up, but he is too stubborn for that. We need to protect the assets we already have. Make some moves, sir. Quinn has his talents. Keep him on as a recruiter.

Comment

• Originally posted by ND88 View Post
                                                      Transfers are a concern. We have several VERY talented young guys we need to move forward with beyond this year. This should have Kelly up at night thinking of a new way to coach them up, but he is too stubborn for that. We need to protect the assets we already have. Make some moves, sir. Quinn has his talents. Keep him on as a recruiter.
                                                      No way. Quinn is garbage.

Comment

No way. Quinn is garbage.

The truth is in the middle.

Quinn is not garbage.
                                                        nor is he adequate.

But my wager will be that he gets replaced this offseason and becomes a (well paid) football analyst AGAIN (which he was after he left Buffalo)

There was a MASSIVE TEL:L at the end of the Wisconsin game. Polian remained close to Kelly, and when the game ended and kelly had the record, Quinn came over to congratulate but there was no joy, no mutuality.

I think two things are true.
                                                        Kelly knows it is time to move on from Quinn.
                                                        Quinn is highly aware he will be replaced.

And the Kelly whisperer?

It is Polian.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post

The truth is in the middle.

Quinn is not garbage.
                                                          nor is he adequate.

But my wager will be that he gets replaced this offseason and becomes a (well paid) football analyst AGAIN (which he was after he left Buffalo)

There was a MASSIVE TEL:L at the end of the Wisconsin game. Polian remained close to Kelly, and when the game ended and kelly had the record, Quinn came over to congratulate but there was no joy, no mutuality.

I think two things are true.
                                                          Kelly knows it is time to move on from Quinn.
                                                          Quinn is highly aware he will be replaced.

And the Kelly whisperer?

It is Polian.
                                                          Thought it was interesting in the II podcast today that the Tim's and Pete think Quinn will not be here next year. They said the same thing about Alexander too. I think Kelly has made up his mind too on Quinn and he will be reassigned in the offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket 94 View Post

Thought it was interesting in the II podcast today that the Tim's and Pete think Quinn will not be here next year. They said the same thing about Alexander too. I think Kelly has made up his mind too on Quinn and he will be reassigned in the offseason.
                                                            Those two position groups are certainly the weak links at this point. I thought Alexander should have been canned last year. Other than some bright spots in the first few games, we just aren't consistent at WR. We've struggled to develop the talent we have and they're not executing on the field.

I've never been sold on Quinn though. I think he's been living off Harry's gold and now the fortune is spent.

Comment

• Watch this o line get better-BUT- the horses are so young and being ask to do a lot very quickly-these cycles happen in 1-2 years it will be Notre Dame normal again-until then they make Williams work his %^@ off to get 4 yards and with his total exertion on every single carry hold you breath on injury- if he goes down the o line looks even worse and they are hurting on wins- Williams is the key here and needs to be protected with better play.
                                                              Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

• Originally posted by irishtrain View Post
                                                                Watch this o line get better-BUT- the horses are so young and being ask to do a lot very quickly-these cycles happen in 1-2 years it will be Notre Dame normal again-until then they make Williams work his %^@ off to get 4 yards and with his total exertion on every single carry hold you breath on injury- if he goes down the o line looks even worse and they are hurting on wins- Williams is the key here and needs to be protected with better play.

Holy Crap
                                                                " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

Those two position groups are certainly the weak links at this point. I thought Alexander should have been canned last year. Other than some bright spots in the first few games, we just aren't consistent at WR. We've struggled to develop the talent we have and they're not executing on the field.

I've never been sold on Quinn though. I think he's been living off Harry's gold and now the fortune is spent.
                                                                  This is what kills me, the lack of consistency. That to me is always a hallmark of poor coaching/preparation.

Comment

This is what kills me, the lack of consistency. That to me is always a hallmark of poor coaching/preparation.
                                                                    BK mentioned it was fatigue for Austin. They aren't getting him enough rest during the first half to be fresher in the second half. Styles and Colzie should see the field more in the first half.

Comment

• I don't think BK believes that... but pretending to will make it easier to give reps to the young guys.

Comment

• Let's not get it twisted, Quinn has been adequate up until this year.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is using revisionist history. You don't get last year's elite line play with less than adequate coaching.

Hiestand landed guys like Banks, Eichenberg and Hainsey, but Quinn developed them. So he's certainly been at least adequate.

But we can do better than adequate, and this year's product is so wholly unacceptable that it's more than justifiable to explore potential better options.

That being said, if the decision were to be made, who would be some names to replace Quinn? Kelly needs to do his due diligence, because what he's putting his backs through is absolutely ridiculous.
                                                                        It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Let's not get it twisted, Quinn has been adequate up until this year.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is using revisionist history. You don't get last year's elite line play with less than adequate coaching.

Hiestand landed guys like Banks, Eichenberg and Hainsey, but Quinn developed them. So he's certainly been at least adequate.

But we can do better than adequate, and this year's product is so wholly unacceptable that it's more than justifiable to explore potential better options.

That being said, if the decision were to be made, who would be some names to replace Quinn? Kelly needs to do his due diligence, because what he's putting his backs through is absolutely ridiculous.
                                                                          Not according to what we've been hearing now. Word is Harry's guys were going to him during the off season to get coached up. That's pretty telling on a lack of coaching ability on Quinn's part if it's true. If they really felt he was doing a good job wouldn't they go to their current OL coach if they felt they needed extra help?

Comment

Not according to what we've been hearing now. Word is Harry's guys were going to him during the off season to get coached up. That's pretty telling on a lack of coaching ability on Quinn's part if it's true. If they really felt he was doing a good job wouldn't they go to their current OL coach if they felt they needed extra help?
                                                                            Players go to former mentors and coaches for guidance all the time during the offseason. It's a very common occurrence.

Quinn is still with those guys a lot longer and doing a lot more with them in terms of day-to-day operations. He's still the guy during practice, during film study, etc.
                                                                            It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Players go to former mentors and coaches for guidance all the time during the offseason. It's a very common occurrence.

Quinn is still with those guys a lot longer and doing a lot more with them in terms of day-to-day operations. He's still the guy during practice, during film study, etc.
                                                                              They were going to him during the season too. How much extra time do you think college athletes have to be getting addition training from their former coach? It's amazing they spent any extra time seeking Harry out. Have you seen their daily itineraries?
                                                                              Quinn deserves to get the axe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

BK mentioned it was fatigue for Austin. They aren't getting him enough rest during the first half to be fresher in the second half. Styles and Colzie should see the field more in the first half.
                                                                                I heard that. He said Sauce Gardner's press coverage was exhausting and they should have rested him more. I'm not sure resting your #1 receiver is the answer, probably would be better to teach him how to beat press coverage. But he can't say that in a press conference.

I feel like there is no way Alexander is still around next year. You can virtually eliminate both Austin and Lenzy with press coverage. Yeah, Gardner is really good. Like first CB taken good. But Austin was removed from the game against Purdue in the same fashion. They have no idea what to do out there. Plus, the drops. Good lord the drops.

Comment

• I felt like the Austin answer was PC on Kelly's part to avoid saying something like "You have to make that play." In the past Kelly might have said that, but today he says it's on the coaches. Maybe both are true. All I know is our WR group has been disappointing the last two years. We've lost a bunch of talent to transfers, and the guys that are seeing the field are failing to regularly get open. The drops haven't been a good look either. Some of that is certainly coaching, but I think Austin needs to make that catch given the circumstances.

Comment

Yeah, and this rumor is 100% true and a bad look, especially because it was facilitated by Chris Watt who was a GA. That means Watt didn't think that they were getting coached well.

Comment

Yeah, and this rumor is 100% true and a bad look, especially because it was facilitated by Chris Watt who was a GA. That means Watt didn't think that they were getting coached well.
                                                                                      Ah, thank you for this.

Comment

They were going to him during the season too. How much extra time do you think college athletes have to be getting addition training from their former coach? It's amazing they spent any extra time seeking Harry out. Have you seen their daily itineraries?
                                                                                        Quinn deserves to get the axe.
                                                                                        If they were meeting him during the season, the instruction was minimal at best.

There's no way they're spending all that time in practice, conditioning, in class, in film study and then going to Harry's place for any more than complementary instruction.

The idea that they're literally gearing up and running drills for a significant amount of time regularly is extremely difficult to believe.

I can see it where they sought instruction from Harry in the offseason and met with him on occasion for technical touch-ups, but anything beyond that is highly improbable.
                                                                                        It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Same people who spread this rumor also said Quinn didn't do film study.

This has since been proven false.
                                                                                          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Watching Hiestand turn into Bill Brasky in real time is really something special.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armyirish47 View Post
                                                                                              Watching Hiestand turn into Bill Brasky in real time is really something special.
                                                                                              He wasn't really a big name as a position coach prior to his stint with Notre Dame.

So I think there was more than just Harry Hiestand behind that success.

Comment

If it’s to the negative extent of that, that’s poor leadership by the guys off to the NFL and by Watt. I know BK likes Quinn but I can’t imagine a scenario where the players were upfront with Kelly with everything and he just dismissed it or let it go. That’s a toxic OL room that is now biting us this year and let’s down the underclassmen that followed them

Comment

Do we know that they "were going to him" or was it that they "went to him"? IIRC, one visit was confirmed but I'm not sure where the notion of going multiple times comes from?

Furthermore... Harry is an Ex-NFL coach. I'm not sure why it is so strange that aspiring NFL O-Linemen would go visit an Ex-NFL O-Line coach who happens to live a stones throw from campus and who they have a long history with.

Lastly, isnt it well documented that Eichenberg was not a fan of Harry and that his development was stunted until Harry left?

On another note... for all the people calling for Chris Watt to come back, wasn't it reported that there was tension between Chip Long and Jeff Quinn? Presumably the fact that Watt went to work for Long would indicate that he was on Chip Long's side... and presumably Tommy and Lance Taylor were on the Quinn side. Not sure how that relationship would work?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

He wasn't really a big name as a position coach prior to his stint with Notre Dame.

So I think there was more than just Harry Hiestand behind that success.
                                                                                                    His first stint with the Bears started out really good. That 2006 line was elite. Shame they were hamstrung by having Rex Grossman their QB.
                                                                                                    It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Seems like it but is there any nuance to this story? Was Quinn and Kelly aware of this? As I wrote on another thread, QBs have been doing this for awhile. If it was only during the off-season when Quinn couldn’t have contact, then it’s a positive. If it was done under the table because Quinn is an idiot then that’s another story. I probably believe the latter is true. Unfortunately for us.
                                                                                                      "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X