No announcement yet.

Offensive Line Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have been listening to Driskell on podcasts for the last couple of days. He's not at all positive about Madden. I hope the coaches know more than he does.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
      Zeke Correl realizing that he's #5 in the 'best five,' and now might be #6 because of a dude from Marshall:
      First thing I thought was:

Uh-oh... Does UK need help at center?

Comment

• Originally posted by deise mike View Post
        Have been listening to Driskell on podcasts for the last couple of days. He's not at all positive about Madden. I hope the coaches know more than he does.
        Quinn or Driskell?

Hmmmmm...???

Comment

Have been listening to Driskell on podcasts for the last couple of days. He's not at all positive about Madden. I hope the coaches know more than he does.
          I’m sure the staff has a firm eval but one easy thing we can take from BK today, BK never talked about Gibbons pushing Patterson back to C, or Spindler, or Kristofic or Lugg. So that gives us a clear floor. His ceiling likely isn’t actually 2nd Team AA but I think it paints some sort of picture

Comment

Seriously though. Why give that vicious idiot clicks? The sooner he changes professions, the better for NDFB.

Comment

• “what’s good for the five, what’s good for Notre Dame and what’s good for Jarrett Patterson”

Interesting quote. Does Patterson want to play C arises

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Seriously though. Why give that vicious idiot clicks? The sooner he changes professions, the better for NDFB.
                Wow. Sorry to upset everybody.
                sigpic

Comment

• +1 to Crus and Whiskey. Those were the first good laughs I had today. Frickin Driskell

Comment

Wow. Sorry to upset everybody.
                    Everyone knows you know Quinn knows more than Driskell (no punctuation for comedic effect)

But as worded, I had to gif ya!

BTW, I did catch some of his views regarding Madden on Twitter and I can see where he's coming from. For phone booth blocking, he's gonna excel. You start asking him to get out in space or covering ground in general, he's not going to look like the AA everyone is expecting to join the room this fall.

Comment

sarcasm?

Comment

• I hope a real "source" is the one that fed that "skepticism" to Driskell, just so he'd buy it and act like it's his own hot take and looks like a big dummy come the fall lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post

sarcasm?
                          Partly.......but also want to be reassured.
                          sigpic

Comment

Partly.......but also want to be reassured.
                            Driskell decides on a position and then seeks all info he can to support it. Look at his hot takes when Derrick Allen was transferring out. It was all the coaches fault. Driskell claimed Quinn couldn't develop and 2019 was proof....until 2020 happened. Now the only reason they were a good a line is because they were originally taught by Hiestand (which no longer explains the poor play in 2019). Now he's claiming that Quinn doesn't break down film with the group, that the upper classmen have to lead film review for the younger guys, or something along those lines.

He seems dishonest or, at the very least, inconsistent in his views.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

Driskell decides on a position and then seeks all info he can to support it. Look at his hot takes when Derrick Allen was transferring out. It was all the coaches fault. Driskell claimed Quinn couldn't develop and 2019 was proof....until 2020 happened. Now the only reason they were a good a line is because they were originally taught by Hiestand (which no longer explains the poor play in 2019). Now he's claiming that Quinn doesn't break down film with the group, that the upper classmen have to lead film review for the younger guys, or something along those lines.

You are very good to elucidate.
                              sigpic

Comment

+1.

Comment

• Just curious...what is Heistand doing these days?
                                  The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                    Just curious...what is Heistand doing these days?
                                    Funding Irish Breakdown apparently...

Comment

TBH, if you read this board regularly, everyone on here knows more than the coaching staff. It would be naive to think we're the only ones that know more than them. lol

Comment

Just curious...what is Heistand doing these days?
                                        Heistand or bring Ed Warinner back. The later is at FAU now I think. Warriner helped turn the OL around when Kelly first came in, and he's basically improved the OL at every stop he's been after. Usually correlates to a strong running game too. He may have been a shit recruiter, but he still produced great results. He was part of the miracle Kansas 2007 turn around season too.

Comment

• Ed Warinner? I wonder what John Latina is up to?

Comment

• When Driskell is ragging on a coach, 99% of the time it's because that guy gives other reporters quotes/access but doesn't give any to him. There is a lot of bad blood between certain coaches and Driskell. Driskell also hates being wrong, so when he gets exposed on certain takes (OL play, Long, Rees, Jurkovec, Allen, etc.) he simply waits until that passes and some other data point comes along that he can cherry pick to prove himself "right."

With that being said, the OL is probably going to struggle a bit this year. Not because of bad coaching, but because of mediocre recruiting for a couple years that left the cupboard bare of developed upper classmen. Cain Madden was a GREAT addition and makes me more optimistic that -- barring injury -- the OL will have its crap together.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                              When Driskell is ragging on a coach, 99% of the time it's because that guy gives other reporters quotes/access but doesn't give any to him. There is a lot of bad blood between certain coaches and Driskell. Driskell also hates being wrong, so when he gets exposed on certain takes (OL play, Long, Rees, Jurkovec, Allen, etc.) he simply waits until that passes and some other data point comes along that he can cherry pick to prove himself "right."

With that being said, the OL is probably going to struggle a bit this year. Not because of bad coaching, but because of mediocre recruiting for a couple years that left the cupboard bare of developed upper classmen. Cain Madden was a GREAT addition and makes me more optimistic that -- barring injury -- the OL will have its crap together.
                                              Yeah, he's already setting them up for failure. He acts like every single one of Harry's lines was top 10 when we all know that wasn't the case, or they'd shit the bed in big games. Driskell is saying the line shouldn't regress because Oklahoma lost 4 linemen a couple years ago and still averaged over 40 pts/game. He really makes some of the strangest cases I've ever seen. I heard him say 12 personnel only got us 24 pts total in our last two games so it's not good enough. lol. Didn't consider who the 12 personnel was, who the QB was, who the support WRs were, just flat out, paraphrase ~ 'that proves ND shouldn't be so committed to 12'

And I don't think I'm being unfair in my assessment of his point. Like his Oklahoma point above, he says ND OL should be able to lose 4 starters and still be a top 10 OL. Was Oklahoma's line top 10? Or was their O-line just good enough to give their playmakers enough time to get separation? Serious question, I haven't looked that up.

Comment

Yeah, he's already setting them up for failure. He acts like every single one of Harry's lines was top 10 when we all know that wasn't the case, or they'd shit the bed in big games. Driskell is saying the line shouldn't regress because Oklahoma lost 4 linemen a couple years ago and still averaged over 40 pts/game. He really makes some of the strangest cases I've ever seen. I heard him say 12 personnel only got us 24 pts total in our last two games so it's not good enough. lol. Didn't consider who the 12 personnel was, who the QB was, who the support WRs were, just flat out, paraphrase ~ 'that proves ND shouldn't be so committed to 12'

And I don't think I'm being unfair in my assessment of his point. Like his Oklahoma point above, he says ND OL should be able to lose 4 starters and still be a top 10 OL. Was Oklahoma's line top 10? Or was their O-line just good enough to give their playmakers enough time to get separation? Serious question, I haven't looked that up.
                                                Yeah, that's a pretty horrible quote on the Oklahoma hot take. How many Top 10 defenses does Oklahoma face in the super stout Big 12 conference? Even the PAC-12 has more respectable defenses these days I think. Driskell seems a bit...peculiar at times.

Comment

• Comment

• I refuse to give Driskell any clicks.

Comment

• I can't stand him, either. I will never click on a Driskell article. On the heels of Madden being named a pre-season All-American by Walter Camp, he has the hot take of "eh, not that high on him." GTFO.

All Jeff Quinn has done is recruit his tail off, and filling Hiestand's shoes is no easy task. I think he's done a fine job so far.
                                                      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                                        I can't stand him, either. I will never click on a Driskell article. On the heels of Madden being named a pre-season All-American by Walter Camp, he has the hot take of "eh, not that high on him." GTFO.

All Jeff Quinn has done is recruit his tail off, and filling Hiestand's shoes is no easy task. I think he's done a fine job so far.
                                                        He's done well but he hasn't blown the doors off yet. If he can follow up last year's haul with another top 5 OL class then he'd get a lot more credit.

2019 - decent class with a number of misses
                                                        2020 - small class but big upside
                                                        2021 - earlier returns are incredible and looks like a blockbuster class with multiple NFL draft picks
                                                        2022 - need to double down and get some early contributors and high ceiling developmental prospects

Missing on Skoronski is still chapping my ass.

I think Quinn has done a fine job and I think Driskell's take is colored by his alliances. It makes his content unbearable and it's why he has had to resort to a tertiary market that he created. But there are a lot of clueless fans that give him a platform so I'm sure he'll find a niche. I wish he'd find a different line of work and just be a fan but I suppose his coaching aspirations are dwindling.

But Quinn still has a lot to prove in regards to recruiting. ND should have a top 3-5 class every single year. We are at the top of NFL production, HOF'ers and contention for the Joe Moore award.

Comment

He's done well but he hasn't blown the doors off yet. If he can follow up last year's haul with another top 5 OL class then he'd get a lot more credit.

2019 - decent class with a number of misses
                                                          2020 - small class but big upside
                                                          2021 - earlier returns are incredible and looks like a blockbuster class with multiple NFL draft picks
                                                          2022 - need to double down and get some early contributors and high ceiling developmental prospects

Missing on Skoronski is still chapping my ass.

I think Quinn has done a fine job and I think Driskell's take is colored by his alliances. It makes his content unbearable and it's why he has had to resort to a tertiary market that he created. But there are a lot of clueless fans that give him a platform so I'm sure he'll find a niche. I wish he'd find a different line of work and just be a fan but I suppose his coaching aspirations are dwindling.

But Quinn still has a lot to prove in regards to recruiting. ND should have a top 3-5 class every single year. We are at the top of NFL production, HOF'ers and contention for the Joe Moore award.
                                                          He does have a lot to prove at ND. He has nothing to prove as an OL coach.

We also unfairly compare him to HH. Harry has McG and Q to stand on bell to bell. He developed other guys' recruits and left recruits for Quinn to develop. Quinn now gets to showcase Patterson (who he hit a bottom of the 9th grand slam on to save HH's '18 stinker) Fish, Rocco, Baker, maybe others but I have little hope he'll be around to see the '22 guys off to the NFL.

Comment

• Oh... and I posted that tweet because I share info. Not a huge BD fan, but I can read and/or listen to content I don't agree with.

I did know it would get a rise out of folks and that's what were looking for here at IE... viewership that leads to discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

He does have a lot to prove at ND. He has nothing to prove as an OL coach.

We also unfairly compare him to HH. Harry has McG and Q to stand on bell to bell. He developed other guys' recruits and left recruits for Quinn to develop. Quinn now gets to showcase Patterson (who he hit a bottom of the 9th grand slam on to save HH's '18 stinker) Fish, Rocco, Baker, maybe others but I have little hope he'll be around to see the '22 guys off to the NFL.
                                                              You don't think Quinn will be with us for the next 4 years?

And I agree, I don't question his coaching. All of his players have gotten better. It's his recruiting that leaves me in "wait and see" mode despite his single blockbuster year.

Comment

Oh... and I posted that tweet because I share info. Not a huge BD fan, but I can read and/or listen to content I don't agree with.

I did know it would get a rise out of folks and that's what were looking for here at IE... viewership that leads to discussion.
                                                                You think Freeman won't retain Quinn after he replaces BK?
                                                                Last edited by BobbyMac; 06-23-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

You think Freeman won't retain Quinn after he replaces BK?

Comment

You don't think Quinn will be with us for the next 4 years?

And I agree, I don't question his coaching. All of his players have gotten better. It's his recruiting that leaves me in "wait and see" mode despite his single blockbuster year.
                                                                    Quinn no doubt misses more but he goes after better players than HH did.

If Quinn makes it to 6 recruiting classes, I'll lay all my money that he'll have better players both in the ratings game and in real life production than HH produced in his 6 cycles.

Comment

If Quinn makes it to 6 recruiting classes...

Any specific reason you’ve referenced Quinn not making 6 recruiting classes a few times here?

Comment

• I posted this on the other thread, but...

- Hiestand had some tough recruiting years

- He also had a year or two where he got lucky late in the cycle, saving it late in the game

- Some of the depth charts look better in retrospect because we remember the players based on how they ended up developing, not necessarily based on how good they were at that time (think Alex Bars).

Comment

• Because why not? Hiestand was at ND from 2012 through 2017. Here are the players who signed with ND from 2012 forward. This is just a quick and dirty (using 247 composite):

Ronnie Stanley 0.9472
                                                                          Mark Harrell 0.8794

Hunter Bivin 0.9545
                                                                          Steve Elmer 0.9467
                                                                          John Montelus 0.9330
                                                                          Mike McGlinchey 0.9280
                                                                          Colin McGovern 0.9209

Quenton Nelson 0.9707
                                                                          Alex Bars 0.9484
                                                                          Sam Mustipher 0.9123
                                                                          Jimmy Byrne 0.8926

Tristen Hoge 0.9585
                                                                          Trevor Ruhland 0.8738

Tommy Kraemer 0.9835
                                                                          Liam Eichenberg 0.9614
                                                                          Parker Boudreaux 0.8802

Robert Hainsey 0.9605
                                                                          Josh Lugg 0.9443
                                                                          Aaron Banks 0.9301
                                                                          Dillan Gibbons 0.8847

Jarrett Patterson 0.8912
                                                                          John Dirksen 0.8776
                                                                          Luke Jones 0.8776
                                                                          Cole Mabry 0.8655

Zeke Correll 0.9578
                                                                          Quinn Carroll 0.9472
                                                                          Andrew Kristofic 0.9254
                                                                          John Olmstead 0.9242

Tosh Baker 0.9549
                                                                          Michael Carmody 0.9352

Blake Fisher 0.9739
                                                                          Rocco Spindler 0.9715
                                                                          Caleb Johnson 0.8958
                                                                          Joe Alt 0.8864
                                                                          Pat Coogan 0.8701

Comment

• Originally posted by NDLS_USMC View Post

Any specific reason you’ve referenced Quinn not making 6 recruiting classes a few times here?
                                                                            Nothing cryptic. He would have to close out the recruiting for the 2024 class. A lot can happen by then.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

Nothing cryptic. He would have to close out the recruiting for the 2024 class. A lot can happen by then.
                                                                              Got you, thnx for follow-up, Bobby. Congrats on Twitter launch too. Career Arrow Up, baby!!

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• I wonder if any of Warriner's last 3 stops would take him back lol

Comment

• Is there some metric being used or did the OU guy just homer the hell out of that
                                                                                    Prehistoric

Comment

• Ed Warriner... rented a condo.

Comment

• Warriner that high lol
                                                                                        Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• How in the hell is Doug Marrone already a top 10 O line coach???
                                                                                          The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

How in the hell is Doug Marrone already a top 10 O line coach???
                                                                                            Honestly, a top 10 coach with top 4 level OL talent is pretty underwhelming.
                                                                                            It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• For the believers

https://sportscrack.com/products/olu...ine-university

Comment

• I saw the ESPN top 100 NFL players.
                                                                                                Q at 31 seems low or am I just biased?
                                                                                                I mean is Prescott at 16th absurd or it is just me? Some of the names on that list above Q took me by surprise but I don't keep a very close eye on NFL.

Comment

Damn that is sick.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                                                                    I saw the ESPN top 100 NFL players.
                                                                                                    Q at 31 seems low or am I just biased?
                                                                                                    I mean is Prescott at 16th absurd or it is just me? Some of the names on that list above Q took me by surprise but I don't keep a very close eye on NFL.
                                                                                                    Geez, there's a lot of guys I wouldn't put ahead of Q. Surprised they would put him that low considering they wrote this, "He has been voted an All-Pro in all three seasons -- the first offensive lineman and the fifth player since the 1970 merger to be so honored. "

Prescott is getting the Cowboy's love that never ends. If any other team had their track record in the last 25 years they wouldn't get the attention they get.

Comment

I've been reppin' sportscrack since at least 2012, I've got like 8 or 9 of their shirts now I swear they have a mole in IE, so many phrases and memes here end up on shirts on that site. They seem to be very Irish friendly as most of their college shirts seem to be ND related. My favorite is a shirt they don't even make anymore. It was a purple faced BK head that said "Don't poke the bear!" Not as relevant these days now that we have a kinder, gentler Kelly.

I've got 3 of these, 2 in green (One was falling apart after about a decade of wear) and a blue.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X