Offensive Line Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
    Yea, there is a lot of positions up for grabs this Spring. It'll be fascinating to see what gets worked out and when. What gets pushed to Fall Camp? Are there positions that get locked down in the Spring?

Specifically talking about the OL, they have plenty of talented bodies to choose from so that's the positive. The negative is, it will undoubtedly take a season of reps for them to gel together. OL, as much as any position, is a position of repetition.
    Correct and with a first year qb I'm going to need to prepare to really tap the brakes on expectations especially early on. Game one may be frustrating just like 2016 in Texas simply based off of lack of experience offensively at so many positions.
    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Lugg should be considered a returning starter. He has a half dozen over his career. Should be a solid RG or RT.

Tons of highly touted guys at the other 3 spots to duke it out. Can move Pattersonn to LT if Zeke is ready. No idea how it will shake out-could be anywhere from a 5th year guy (Gibbons) to a true frosh (Fisher or Spindler) at the open spots.

Comment

• Unpopular opinion: Lugg has never impressed me. Correll and Patterson should have 2 spots for sure. At Tackle, you could see Kristofic, Baker, Carroll or Lugg. Lugg could also play inside. Don't count out Rocco or Fisher inside as well. Fisher could be interior to start, and then outside as he progresses...although his $ could come being interior fulltime

Comment

• Originally posted by allenm5333 View Post
          Unpopular opinion: Lugg has never impressed me. Correll and Patterson should have 2 spots for sure. At Tackle, you could see Kristofic, Baker, Carroll or Lugg. Lugg could also play inside. Don't count out Rocco or Fisher inside as well. Fisher could be interior to start, and then outside as he progresses...although his $ could come being interior fulltime
          Lugg played out of position this year. FWIW. There's obviously a reason he never earned a starting roll, but he's no slouch and would start on most P5 lines.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wasn’t Carrol gonna start last year before he got injured?

Comment

• My guesses:

LT: Baker
              LG: Patterson
              C: Correll
              RG: Lugg
              RT: Carroll

Correll performance against Alabama should calm nerves. He will be fine. That means the staff can move Patterson around, I would guess they'd *want* to see if Baker can perform at LT given his massive frame. Assuming that's a yes, I think they put Patterson at LG because apparently G is his best position and it creates a pretty solid left side.

Kelly and Rees have some tough questions, what sort of offense do you run with a new OL but you still have outstanding TEs and RBs. I don't think they'll be leaning on 2 TE to one side and running that way, a lot has to go right for that to be sustainable.
              Last edited by BilboBaggins; 01-03-2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                Wasn’t Carrol gonna start last year before he got injured?
                Over who exactly? Hainsey? I doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                  Lugg played out of position this year. FWIW. There's obviously a reason he never earned a starting roll, but he's no slouch and would start on most P5 lines.

Yea, I felt like Lugg pretty well to end last year at RT. And like I stated in another post, reps on the OL are extremely important. I think an entire offseason with Lugg working as a #1 will give him the reps he's been missing. Do I think he's the next 1st rounder on the OL? No, but I think he can work himself into a mid-late round guy and valuable starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                    Wasn’t Carrol gonna start last year before he got injured?
                    No but the Rivals guys have talked about how impressive the staff thought he was leading up to his injury and his recovery thereafter. It seems like he's probably a front runner for one of those spots.

Without knowing who plays where, I'll just say my 5 names for starting are Baker, Patterson, Correll, Carroll, and Lugg.

Comment

• Lugg is fine. But if we are looking at a slightly rebuilt OL, I would rather go all in for the future.

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                      Yea, I felt like Lugg pretty well to end last year at RT. And like I stated in another post, reps on the OL are extremely important. I think an entire offseason with Lugg working as a #1 will give him the reps he's been missing. Do I think he's the next 1st rounder on the OL? No, but I think he can work himself into a mid-late round guy and valuable starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by allenm5333 View Post
                        Lugg is fine. But if we are looking at a slightly rebuilt OL, I would rather go all in for the future.
                        OL is not a position group you can just throw youth at and let it develop on the field. It requires much more than Xs and Os. Physical development is just important.

Comment

• The upside here is that BK will be less likely to rely on the running game than he would have been and so we need to push the WRs through and focus on getting KW and Tyree involved in that part of it.

Comment

• What about Cristofic? Anyone know what the staff thinks of him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                              No but the Rivals guys have talked about how impressive the staff thought he was leading up to his injury and his recovery thereafter. It seems like he's probably a front runner for one of those spots.

Without knowing who plays where, I'll just say my 5 names for starting are Baker, Patterson, Correll, Carroll, and Lugg.
                              I like those 5 names. That's whom I'd choose as well.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kristofic was very highly spoken of, so I assume that he still is.

... and as a tackle.

Comment

• I looked back at the recruiter rankings and looked at just the offensive line coaches and where they ranked among just their position coaching group.

2019-2021 Recruiter Rankings Composite
                                  1) Jeff Quinn, Notre Dame
                                  2) Robbie Caldwell, Clemson
                                  3) Bill Bedenbaugh, Oklahoma
                                  4) Josh Henson, Texas A&M
                                  5) Will Friend, Auburn
                                  6) John Hevesy, Florida
                                  7) Herb Hand, UNC Charlotte
                                  8) Kevin Carberry, Stanford
                                  9) Chris Kapilovic, Michigan State
                                  10) James Cregg, LSU
                                  11) Ed Warinner, FAU
                                  12) Justin Frye, UCLA
                                  13) Scott Huff, Washington
                                  14) Greg Austin, Nebraska
                                  15) Brent Key, Georgia Tech

The takeaways are definitely interesting in the fact that obviously Quinn being #1 is really awesome. I always thought he was a solid recruiter, but he's been absolutely phenomenal since taking over for Harry Hiestand. Robbie Caldwell is another great one at Clemson and Bedenbaugh at Oklahoma is one of the best in recruiting no doubt. I know he lost Leigh this cycle to Caldwell and Clemson but he's still really really good at recruiting. The couple of surprising ones are that Herb Hand went down to UNC Charlotte and Warinner went to FAU. They are very very good OLine coaches, but maybe Warinner's career might be winding down going into his 60s and maybe he wants the lower stress and mid-major football life. Interesting list for sure and it makes me excited that Jeff Quinn is the OLine coach at ND.

Comment

• We can't expect to have the best guy at every coaching position nor at every playing position, but sometimes we DO have that coach or player. The fact that number-ones keep popping up for us here and there is a tribute to one guy --- Coach Kelly.

This is another data point that tells me that if Coach had taken a lesser calling at one of the power program factories, he'd have won a few NCs already. Thankfully, he is here.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X