Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offensive Line Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Offensive Line Thread

    Just wanted to start a thread showing appreciation to Coach Harry Hienstand. According to Will Fuller's high school coach, per ISD, Coach Harry Heistand has a MAJOR influence on getting Fuller to campus yesterday, which of course led to the switch. He put in a ton of work on Fuller since the sanctions were announced, and today it all paid off.

    Coach has been putting in work as a recruiter; 5 excellent o-lineman who already love him...who would have thought he'd be such an upgrade over Ed Warriner? Seriously, as a recruiter, he's been lights out! As a coach, we'll see, but early returns, per Mike Frank, are that the O-line guys LOVE him. I personally thought Warriner did a pretty good job last year (but they really suffered without Cave, and they stopped protecting vs. Stanford), but the linemen apparently felt a disconnect there, whereas they feel Coach Hiestand is one of them...a true O-line coach and nothing else (Warriner, as we know, had designs on greater things).

    If the spring game is any indication, and if recruiting is any indication, and if how the current linemen feel about him is any indication, then this was a home-run hire by Brian Kelly.

    Go ahead with your bad self Coach!
    sigpic Silence implies consent.

  • #2
    Thanks COACH!!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Everything that's happened with the o-line has been positive thus far. Their importance cannot be over-stated. If our running backs get some room to run and our quarterback is well-protected, the offense will flourish regardless of who starts at quarterback.

      We have the linemen and the coach to get this done. I look forward to watching a very productive offense, one that can give our defenders a rest as the offense slowly and methodically marches down the field and one that can run the ball in when we get inside the red zone.

      I wish we had this offensive line when Clausen was at QB.

      Comment


      • #4
        Seems like a great influence. Coaches, players and recruits all seem to have good words about him.

        Comment


        • #5
          Amen!

          Coach Harry rocks!

          Comment


          • #6
            When Coach H went to Tennessee, he said that he wanted to go somewhere where he could do what he really loved, settle into a nice environment where people liked one another, and retire there. He, like about six other assistant coaches, were fooled by the HCs surface demeanor and it turned into a bad experience for the whole staff. Well, our HC knew a good thing when he saw it... and Coach H is about to get exactly what he had hoped for at Tennessee --- good people, good opportunity, good "family". Coach H will give us his best and he has a lot to give. Thank you, Harry Hiestand, and thank you, Brian Kelly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by johnnykillz View Post
              Amen!

              Coach Harry rocks!
              I 2nd this
              "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                When Coach H went to Tennessee, he said that he wanted to go somewhere where he could do what he really loved, settle into a nice environment where people liked one another, and retire there. He, like about six other assistant coaches, were fooled by the HCs surface demeanor and it turned into a bad experience for the whole staff. Well, our HC knew a good thing when he saw it... and Coach H is about to get exactly what he had hoped for at Tennessee --- good people, good opportunity, good "family". Coach H will give us his best and he has a lot to give. Thank you, Harry Hiestand, and thank you, Brian Kelly.
                And this
                "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

                Comment


                • #9
                  When we were all scratching our heads trying to figure out who was gonna replace Warriner and it seemed like it was a long drawn out process, I don't think any of us envisioned the rapid returns we were gonna get from Harry. Tremendous coach that loves his players! Bringing in a former player like Kruetz to teach some things to young guys is another bonus! All in all we are heading in the right direction because it all starts in the trenches and with a young QB he is gonna need protecting. Cheers to you Coach Heistand! Looking forward to watching your hog mollies do work!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sometimes it's hard to post on here cuz great fans think alike!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      From ISD:


                      “Me and Coach Hiestand were talking maybe two, three times a day,” Roman Catholic coach Joe McCourt told ISD. “He just wanted to make sure Will got out to Notre Dame this weekend because that was the game plan. He didn’t want Penn State saying they didn’t want him going out there. Coach Hiestand really did a lot of leg work, talking to his mom and talking to Will to make sure he got out there this weekend.

                      “Coach Hiestand was the one who took this thing by storm.”
                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's funny when some people on here were upset at the hiring of Coach H in the beginning.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                          It's funny when some people on here were upset at the hiring of Coach H in the beginning.
                          Seriously.

                          A wise man knows that he knows nothing. None of us are anywhere near Coach Kelly's ability, and shouldn't blatantly second-guess things.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                            Seriously.

                            A wise man knows that he knows nothing. None of us are anywhere near Coach Kelly's ability, and shouldn't blatantly second-guess things.
                            I know some of us took the, who am I to judge stance and others the wait and see approach. To be fair, he hasn't coached a game yet but I do believe reports came out after his initial hiring about how some of the Big Uglies were really liking him especially compared to Warriner.

                            Regardless, he is doing work bro.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                              It's funny when some people on here were upset at the hiring of Coach H in the beginning.
                              What are you talking about? We don't do much scrutinizing around here.

                              Go Coach Hiestand! Go Irish!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Love it. Great recruiter and seems like an even better coach. The greatest coaches are able to connect with their players on a personal level and at a teaching level. I read that the O-linemen had to stay an extra twenty minutes yesterday and I am sure they did not mind at all... BUT I am going to reserve judgement on him until we playing a team with a real defense like MSU. Tenn fans thought he was a joke, and Bears fans did not like him to much towards his later years. Maybe this is the perfect fit for him. Sure hope it is. Go Irish

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  thanks coach and hopefully the environment is good for all

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Couldn't agree more. I love what he's doing on the recruiting trail but personally think his impact will be felt just as equally on our current line. Think about how well the unit played as a whole last year, and then add a coach to the situation that they all identify with, all love, and have no disconnect. Exciting times. Great hire by BK!
                                    www.chicagosportstown.com

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Walk with me back to 07, when we didn't have an Oline. Thats the year I decided that group, and their coach are literally the cornerstone for building a program...thats the year it became clear no amount of scheming or talent anywhere else seizes ole "MO" like the O-line.

                                      Welcome aboard coach H, glad you are here. Roll on big boys...
                                      One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                                        It's funny when some people on here were upset at the hiring of Coach H in the beginning.
                                        You know the other sites lit up with doubt and criticism of Coach H. Many doubted his ability to coach (seven Ilini in the NFL makes that look stupid), some brought up his inablility to motivate kids (all of his ex-players, college and NFL dispelled that), and the final knock was his obviously poor recruiting ablility. I even saw that posted here, by all of those that picked up a tidbit and regurgitated it, like they knew something and were smart.

                                        From the first week Coaches H and E were here, they hit the recruiting trail with a vengence. Some people even had a laugh at each one because of crossed wires, getting off to such a fast start. Well the laughter is over. I was trying to explain in a previous post how both of these coaches are winning lots of player over, and having a huge impact on the team. This keeps up and Harry is going to be up there with Old Joe Moore.

                                        These guys are keepers. Raibh míle maith agaibh agus míle beannacht ort, Harry!


                                        Grehar the Bogtrotter

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post
                                          You know the other sites lit up with doubt and criticism of Coach H. Many doubted his ability to coach (seven Ilini in the NFL makes that look stupid), some brought up his inablility to motivate kids (all of his ex-players, college and NFL dispelled that), and the final knock was his obviously poor recruiting ablility. I even saw that posted here, by all of those that picked up a tidbit and regurgitated it, like they knew something and were smart.

                                          From the first week Coaches H and E were here, they hit the recruiting trail with a vengence. Some people even had a laugh at each one because of crossed wires, getting off to such a fast start. Well the laughter is over. I was trying to explain in a previous post how both of these coaches are winning lots of player over, and having a huge impact on the team. This keeps up and Harry is going to be up there with Old Joe Moore.

                                          These guys are keepers. Raibh míle maith agaibh agus míle beannacht ort, Harry!


                                          Grehar the Bogtrotter
                                          Good Stuff Bog,

                                          A old coach buddy of mine told me he was taught 2 things about coaching every coach should understand...

                                          Who just got fired? and when am i?

                                          It's the nature of the business. Sometimes you land in a job that isn't the best place for you, but you do your best and coach your *** off. I think if you look at Coach H's resume it speaks for itself and when he struggled it just wasn't the place for him. If you look at the job one of our former coaches did in the NFL the guy would've never worked again. Our very own Lou Holtz with the Jets... I think things turned out just find for Ol' Lightning Lou..... Let the nay sayers talk we are about to find out how Dirty Harry gets down with the big uglies this fall.....

                                          My uneducated humble opinion: Harry is worth his weight in gold

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Let me preface this by saying that I think he is doing a great job recruiting and the run game looked good during the spring game. I have to wonder (this is mostly for OMM or anyone else with expertise) our gap and pull scheme was very explosive and opened a lot of big plays. Will his zone scheme open up the same huge plays. And could this have us looking more like Oregon?
                                            God Country Notre Dame
                                            http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              I will be the first to admit that I didn't know too much about Coach H, but from what I've seen thus far and hear from players.., it sounds like we have a real winner. I'm looking forward to seeing how the offensive line does this year. We all know we have some of the best linemen out there, I think this year our line will dominate most of our opponents making it easier for a new quarterback and to really get our running game going. This could be a fun year.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                OL looks to be a solid group this season. Could be the best OL group that ND has seen in some time.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Coach Hiestand has brought out the full potential of our offensive line. Our offensive scheme can now be unpredictable because we have an offensive line that can open up holes for a quality running game.

                                                  The days of everyone in the stadium knowing that we are going to pass inside the twenty yard line are over. With Golson's ability to both run and pass and this offensive line's ability to move people, we have a lot more options for putting the ball in the end zone.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    For the love of God, it was Navy. They're tiny. Vicious and tough, but tiny.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      That is it exactly. This O-line is playing as a "squad" within a team. They appear as one. That is one hell of a lot of beef on the hoof. You talk to the guys, there is no predominant ego's. Just as with their coach, he is matter of fact and non-pretensious.

                                                      The one mistake, Everett's backside sack, was a mistake in his call of protections and Zack understanding him. One of the things that occasionally goes wrong. But the way this unit has improved compared to last is incredible!

                                                      Here is to Harry, maybe you will get that All American the line deserves this year!

                                                      Hey, Buster, did you play on the line? Those little son-of-a-beaches are the hardest to play against.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post
                                                        Hey, Buster, did you play on the line? Those little son-of-a-beaches are the hardest to play against.
                                                        *flexes muscles* All-conference OG two years! And a heavyweight wrestler! (1-0 against St. Ed haha)

                                                        I understand OL as much as the next guy, and I did love what I saw from the OL on Saturday.

                                                        But I know that if I'm 310lbs and the end I'm blocking is 246lbs, I'm going to have a great afternoon. And if I have to go to the second level and the linebacker is 218lbs....I'm going to have a ton of fun with this defense.

                                                        We knew the OL, specifically the lethal LT/LG/C combo, were going to be a real strength. We knew Kelly could play 3 TE's in a set and not lose a bit of athleticism and that it would only help control the LOS and own the edge. We saw that too. They were dominant, no doubt.

                                                        Let's dominate Purdue, and then get excited for a tremendous matchup with Michigan State's tremendous front seven. That will be a game for fans of good ol' fashioned football.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                                                          For the love of God, it was Navy. They're tiny. Vicious and tough, but tiny.
                                                          And they were tiny in '07, '09. and '10 when they beat the 300 pounders, weren't they?

                                                          In '10 a 35-17 whipping on both sides of the ball the Tinies crammed it down The Big Boys throats for 367 yds. Meanwhile the 300+ pound OLine had "a ton of fun with this defense" against the Tinies, leading the charge to a paltry 106 yds on 30 carries.

                                                          Same teams, Same size differential, Same "Star" differential. Navy hasn't had a greater "Star" Differential since WWII.

                                                          Hiestand has this OLine playing like a unit, not a bunch of one on ones, or worse - ones on nobody. That happened on the sack Saturday once then it got corrected. Again, Hiestand.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Keep it coming coach. We are loving it.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Originally posted by aubeirish View Post
                                                              Keep it coming coach. We are loving it.
                                                              Oh, how we love our beloved Hiestand.
                                                              "Canada is the greatest nation in this country." -Allan Lamport

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                And they were tiny in '07, '09. and '10 when they beat the 300 pounders, weren't they?

                                                                In '10 a 35-17 whipping on both sides of the ball the Tinies crammed it down The Big Boys throats for 367 yds. Meanwhile the 300+ pound OLine had "a ton of fun with this defense" against the Tinies, leading the charge to a paltry 106 yds on 30 carries.

                                                                Same teams, Same size differential, Same "Star" differential. Navy hasn't had a greater "Star" Differential since WWII.

                                                                Hiestand has this OLine playing like a unit, not a bunch of one on ones, or worse - ones on nobody. That happened on the sack Saturday once then it got corrected. Again, Hiestand.
                                                                There's truth on both sides of this debate. They looked really good. That said, Navy is small. That said, Navy's small guys beat us up a few times in the last 5 years. That said, they didn't last year (pre-Hiestand). Let's see what happens in the next two weeks. We'll know a lot more then.

                                                                Boy...did they look good though.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  people are being ridiculous about this. Some people are making like Warriner didnt do a good job. He did. Maybe not the best job, and maybe a job Kelly thought he could improve on. Let's hope he does. But Hiestand got all midwestern/northeast o-line recruits and is not known for recruiting. Let's see if he can do it a couple of years in a row, because we are going to have to go out west and down south to get them too. He didn't succeed at Tennessee. Let's see if he does here for at least a whole season and if ND performs well against better front 7s and also how Stanley and other younger guys develop and the nastiness that they show. Give it time. He hasn't done much yet. Looks great, but pushing around Navy is always the way it should be. I give more credit to Kelly for that than Hiestand at this point.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Kelly sets everyone up to succeed.

                                                                    Harry has taught more technique this year than the past four line coaches did in their tenure.

                                                                    Harry is and will be a force.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post
                                                                      Kelly sets everyone up to succeed.

                                                                      Harry has taught more technique this year than the past four line coaches did in their tenure.

                                                                      Harry is and will be a force.
                                                                      See this is what I'm talking about. We don't know this. Warriner appeared to develop the technique of our oline pretty well and his resume provides ample evidence that he had done so many times in the past. Now he's a coach with a really successful head coach who presumably knows something about hiring spread o-line coaches who teach a power run game. We will see if HIestand is great for this team, good, or just solid. Let's let it play out. Right now, they look to be playing with some more aggression which is the big thing. Let's see how development of younger players goes.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by elboricua View Post
                                                                        See this is what I'm talking about. We don't know this. Warriner appeared to develop the technique of our oline pretty well and his resume provides ample evidence that he had done so many times in the past. Now he's a coach with a really successful head coach who presumably knows something about hiring spread o-line coaches who teach a power run game. We will see if HIestand is great for this team, good, or just solid. Let's let it play out. Right now, they look to be playing with some more aggression which is the big thing. Let's see how development of younger players goes.
                                                                        Last year the line was fine under Warriner, until Braxton went out. After that, with Golic at center, the OL was average. We'll see how it goes this year. State will be a big game coming up.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Originally posted by elboricua View Post
                                                                          See this is what I'm talking about. We don't know this. Warriner appeared to develop the technique of our oline pretty well and his resume provides ample evidence that he had done so many times in the past. Now he's a coach with a really successful head coach who presumably knows something about hiring spread o-line coaches who teach a power run game. We will see if HIestand is great for this team, good, or just solid. Let's let it play out. Right now, they look to be playing with some more aggression which is the big thing. Let's see how development of younger players goes.
                                                                          We do know this. Four linemen have publically said that Harry is the only one that really knows his stuff. In honesty, Warriner was an OC that Kelly used as a line coach. In addition, last year Kelly added Run Game Coordinator to his duties, and he is the one that truly started the push for the improved run blocking. But evey lineman will tell you technique, Harry hands down has it.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Nice signature Bog. Hot stuff. Lol.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Bluto: Bogs is just being a gentleman to KissMe. She said she's go along with the Golson/Upton banner for the game if the guys would put up this one. Bogs is honoring that.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post
                                                                                We do know this. Four linemen have publically said that Harry is the only one that really knows his stuff. In honesty, Warriner was an OC that Kelly used as a line coach. In addition, last year Kelly added Run Game Coordinator to his duties, and he is the one that truly started the push for the improved run blocking. But evey lineman will tell you technique, Harry hands down has it.
                                                                                Ok, well for one thing, I don't think it matters what the lineman say as far as him knowing his stuff. He's the coach and they are players, he is supposed to know his stuff compared to them. Warriner was an o-line coach at Notre Dame and he was a successful one in several types of offenses at previous stops which was my point. As for what we do really know, we do know that the players like HIestand a lot. That is saying something. As to the previous poster who made the point about Golic having to play, that was the main problem. Golic had to play. Golic would never have been offered by Kelly I feel pretty confident in saying. When you take a huge drop in talent at the center position, you struggle especially when everyone stacks the box because your qb can't throw deep and can't run.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Bogtrotter07 View Post
                                                                                  Kelly sets everyone up to succeed.

                                                                                  Harry has taught more technique this year than the past four line coaches did in their tenure.

                                                                                  Harry is and will be a force.
                                                                                  I think that these coaches work together to get the best possible outcome. They aren't afraid to help each other or ask for help. I really like this coaching staff.
                                                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Is Harry planning on trying to get back to the NFL? Basically what I'm asking is, if Harry does have a great tenure here, will he likely be moving on? Or is he looking for a place to stay long-term?

                                                                                    Funnier than you in 2012.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by elboricua View Post
                                                                                      Ok, well for one thing, I don't think it matters what the lineman say as far as him knowing his stuff. He's the coach and they are players, he is supposed to know his stuff compared to them. Warriner was an o-line coach at Notre Dame and he was a successful one in several types of offenses at previous stops which was my point. As for what we do really know, we do know that the players like HIestand a lot. That is saying something. As to the previous poster who made the point about Golic having to play, that was the main problem. Golic had to play. Golic would never have been offered by Kelly I feel pretty confident in saying. When you take a huge drop in talent at the center position, you struggle especially when everyone stacks the box because your qb can't throw deep and can't run.
                                                                                      I totally disagree with the bolded part. There's no way Kelly would have snubbed a legacy.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by IrishJayhawk View Post
                                                                                        I totally disagree with the bolded part. There's no way Kelly would have snubbed a legacy.
                                                                                        Unless he's a Montana

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                                          Is Harry planning on trying to get back to the NFL? Basically what I'm asking is, if Harry does have a great tenure here, will he likely be moving on? Or is he looking for a place to stay long-term?
                                                                                          I have no hard facts just opinion. So my take on it. I highly doubt he would leave after 1 or 2 seasons here, and the reason for that is because of the recruits that he potentially has coming in the '13 class. Now if he develops those guys in to a group of All-Americans he might consider going else where if he's not looking for a long-term home.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by irishog77 View Post
                                                                                            Unless he's a Montana
                                                                                            You maybe got me there. But, I think there's a difference between 3 star Mike Golic (and even 2 star Jake Golic) and no-star, not even ranked by Rivals, Nate Montana.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by IrishJayhawk View Post
                                                                                              I totally disagree with the bolded part. There's no way Kelly would have snubbed a legacy.
                                                                                              He has already. He didn't offer the Blake Bars kid last year who was better than Golic and went to Michigan. Now, maybe you're right that he would have offered Golic. But that's not my point. My point is that Kelly would not under normal circumstances offer a player of his growth potential and talent. And that the depth is not where it needs to be because the options shouldn't be Golic or an inexperienced but probably fairly talented Nick Martin. And that that cannot be put on Warriner. You're going to struggle when you put in Golic against a good FSU d-line or a good Stanford D-line when they don't fear getting the ball thrown over them or fear the qb running at all.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by elboricua View Post
                                                                                                He has already. He didn't offer the Blake Bars kid last year who was better than Golic and went to Michigan. Now, maybe you're right that he would have offered Golic. But that's not my point. My point is that Kelly would not under normal circumstances offer a player of his growth potential and talent. And that the depth is not where it needs to be because the options shouldn't be Golic or an inexperienced but probably fairly talented Nick Martin. And that that cannot be put on Warriner. You're going to struggle when you put in Golic against a good FSU d-line or a good Stanford D-line when they don't fear getting the ball thrown over them or fear the qb running at all.
                                                                                                I agree that he likely wouldn't have offered him if his last name wasn't Golic. But, I still bet he would have gotten an offer.

                                                                                                I don't know about Bars. Given his offer list, was there something else going on there?

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by elboricua View Post
                                                                                                  people are being ridiculous about this.
                                                                                                  With your posts the most ridiculous. Playing a tad loose with the facts aren't you?

                                                                                                  Originally posted by elboricua View Post
                                                                                                  Some people are making like Warriner didnt do a good job. He did. Maybe not the best job, and maybe a job Kelly thought he could improve on. Let's hope he does. But Hiestand got all midwestern/northeast o-line recruits and is not known for recruiting. Let's see if he can do it a couple of years in a row, because we are going to have to go out west and down south to get them too. He didn't succeed at Tennessee. Let's see if he does here for at least a whole season and if ND performs well against better front 7s and also how Stanley and other younger guys develop and the nastiness that they show. Give it time. He hasn't done much yet. Looks great, but pushing around Navy is always the way it should be. I give more credit to Kelly for that than Hiestand at this point.
                                                                                                  Warinner was the OLine coach when Navy was't pushed around in the trenches but actually stifled our be massive OLine in '10 wasn't he?

                                                                                                  Warinner was an OLine coach who became a OC but at ND his job was OLine Coach/Running Game Coordinator. Soooo, the paltry 106 yds on 30 carries was his responsiblity on 2 counts. OL and Running Game. Was Warinner on the same page with Molnar, the OC? Or was he like Corwin Bell and Joe Tenuta, Weis's Co D.C.s? Or was he like Joe Moore in '96 who fought Holtz tooth and nail over Holtz's move to the Blarney Offense when Moore refused to work on pass blocking because he wanted Smash Mouth football?

                                                                                                  Molnar move out while the moving was fortitous. But Warinner didn't get the OC job despite "all his experience with different offenses". Perhaps it was because he wanted to run his offense and Kelly wanted his offense run. Ala Holtz and Moore. So Martin becomes OC. And a new OL coach is hired to run what Kelly wants.

                                                                                                  But Hiestand got all midwestern/northeast o-line recruits and is not known for recruiting. Let's see if he can do it a couple of years in a row, because we are going to have to go out west and down south to get them too. He didn't succeed at Tennessee.
                                                                                                  Funny I thought Kelly had his guys recruiting by primary territory so as to develop long term relationships with high coaching staffs in those regions instead of having the whole staff cover the nation willy nilly.

                                                                                                  Hiestand didn't succeed at Tennessee. Damn, and here I thought the debacle at UT was caused by Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley over about a 6 or 8 year period. Didn't realize that Hiestand in his year there was the one that damaged the brand. Hiestand was in the NFL when 3 HEAD coaches and an assortment of assistants were urinating in the soup. Four (4) losing seasons. But you're right, Hiestand didn't succeed at Tennessee. BTW, who did, at Tennesse, during those years?

                                                                                                  I give more credit to Kelly for that than Hiestand at this point
                                                                                                  Oh did Kelly take over teaching technique? Do he spend his days with the all 105 players on the roster. Give Kelly credit for the hiring and perhaps for instilling better communication between HIS coaches. But then that is his job, isn't it.


                                                                                                  Your comments on Golic in subsequent posts are equally specious. Golic was the 8 ranked CENTER who verballed 2 weeks after NSD as a Junior. Bars was the #58 OT. I recall ND taking higher ranked centers than Golic but I don't recall ND taking an OT higher than Bars #58 ranking. Bar was an ND legacy and they didn't offer. He was also an MSU legacy and they didn't offer. He also has a brother at PSU. They offered but he opted for UM in June of '11. Maybe he would have gotten an offer after his senior season but he walked to his own drummer, he didn't go to ND, MSU, or PSU where relatives had.

                                                                                                  Fortunately for ND they had Golic when Cave went down. Remember how the other guys they tried there worked out? Golic, a BIG step down from Cave, was better than anyone else.

                                                                                                  And as for the need to play Golic, let's keep in mind a HS verbal who would would be starting at OT today died before he became a student. Another OL who would be starting a G over Golic transferred out of ND because his father died and he needed to be closer to his family at Tennessee. Alex Bullard is Tennesse's staring Center by the way. Prestwood was a higher rated talent than Golic but he's not on the team either.

                                                                                                  Here's to Harry Heistand, Notre Dame's OLine Coach! Off to a good start!

                                                                                                  Thanks NDinL.A. for starting this thread.

                                                                                                  GO IRISH!

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Mike Golic Jr was a top 5 center coming out of highschool so he was legit for any school to look at however Jake not so much.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X