Superconferences & Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

I would've agreed with you on the ACC before they took Louisville.

What WVU is going to offer the ACC is a body. When these schools leave the NCAA and it's just four 20 team conf's, the ACC will get pinched. The B1G's coming for UVa, UNC or Pitt if they need a body out east. The SEC might target VT, one of the NC schools not named Wake. Maybe Clemson or the Florida schools if the new world order forces those state's politics to work out.

As far as ISU, I'm not saying it won't happen but I had these discussions with two college AD's, one of which who broke into coaching at Ames and they thought ISU was in trouble long term. They thought their best chance was to fall into the Eastern Div of the West Conference when the PAC has to piece 20 teams together.
    Solid point.

Ultimately this shift is inevitable. If it is already happening now, that's sooner than I would have thought, but college sports didn't exactly have a banner summer when it comes to the business model they've held so dear, and Covid surely hurt these schools to varying degrees so maybe they're proactively getting the ball rolling now. OU and Texas could be the first dominoes.

Iowa State can fit into the Big Ten or PAC 12. They are pereceived as having nothing to offer, but I think they have something, even if it isn't a lot.

Ultimately, I'll wait to see what is happening with ND but I get the sneaking suspicion that years from now ND is still going to be playing service academies in Prague and locking horns with UCLA in Dodger Stadium if they feel like it.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
      It will be interesting to see if the big 12 gets decimated or if they poach from other conferences. It's gonna get weird . . .
      Houston's been waiting. Fertitta's been pushing HARD to get in but UT and Baylor were blocking them.

If I'm the Big 12, I take Houston & SMU then Cincy, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane & Temple and rebrand as the Big 16 as a stop gap until the money schools ditch the NCAA. Then they can figure it out geographically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
        Has Swarbrick issued any public comments?

I'm curious whether he is going to strongly commit to independence or say anything about a changing landscape affecting ND's future.
        "Tickets for the last ND/USC game have been priced at $2000 a seat.
        A commemorative coin will be included with each ticket. The date and series record will be on one side with Please Sit Down! on the other. "

- Jack Swarbrick

Comment

• It’s a shame Texas/OU accelerating this in private is going to cause the realignment to make zero historical or regional sense. A logical country wide realignment at the same time is the dream that would never happen except in articles and video games

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
            It’s a shame Texas/OU accelerating this in private is going to cause the realignment to make zero historical or regional sense. A logical country wide realignment at the same time is the dream that would never happen except in articles and video games
            This isn't it. These teams all have to leave the NCAA eventually. At that time, they can do something more sensical.

I'm still waiting for UT to leave OU at the alter and head to the B1G where they belong. (at least that's what the important non-football UT folks think) We hooked up with a UT BOT member at Murphy's in Wrigleyville before the 2015 game. He point blank said, "In the end, UT will be in the Big Ten with MI, VA and NC."

Comment

It’s a shame Texas/OU accelerating this in private is going to cause the realignment to make zero historical or regional sense. A logical country wide realignment at the same time is the dream that would never happen except in articles and video games
              I'm not sure it would matter anyway.

Rogue said it best:

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
              History. Tradition. Fans.

The people making these decisions see these terms as punchlines. They literally laugh out loud at the notion that they should give a rat's ass about any of this when it comes to college football. We're not talking about a sticker on a helmet, artificial grass fields or last names on the backs of jerseys. This is big time money. It stopped being about academics (LOL), tradition and history a long time ago.
              Why would Okie State and Kansas stick around for the Big 12 to figure this out? Okie State is backed by piles of money and Kansas has a basketball team. Logistically it may make sense to add Iowa State and maybe throw K State in the mix for the same reason and to get an even number. I'd prefer Cincy over K State for no reason other than giving OSU some in state competition with respect to recruiting, even if it's small.

The rest of the BIG 12 can piss off to the PAC - maybe two dying conferences can make one viable conference.

Comment

NCAA Football 2023 gives us full control over conference setups or we riot

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post

Imagine how Arkansas & Missouri feel. They are basically dead weight in the SEC as far as footprint & competitiveness.
                  Missouri maybe but Arkansas carries a lot of water in sports not named football at the moment.

Comment

• The Big Ten might want to try to scoop up Kansas to expand their western footprint and add a basketball power. Then add North Carolina or Virginia to expand their east coast footprint and to add another basketball power

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                      The Big Ten might want to try to scoop up Kansas to expand their western footprint and add a basketball power. Then add North Carolina or Virginia to expand their east coast footprint and to add another basketball power
                      Yep. Here we go

https://twitter.com/M_Vernon/status/1418591461411495943

Comment

• I've hated conference realignment for a while. I love the regional storylines and rivalries that come with it. But, I realize that opinion gets put in the old man "get off my lawn" group these days.

If this is moving us closer to disbanding the NCAA then I'm all for it. But, I do think it's interesting timing for OU and UT. I mean, with the new playoff system, I would think they'd want to easier path to the playoff every year and auto bid. I mean, does UT really think they're going to immediately compete in a better conference than the one they haven't been average in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                          I've hated conference realignment for a while. I love the regional storylines and rivalries that come with it. But, I realize that opinion gets put in the old man "get off my lawn" group these days.

If this is moving us closer to disbanding the NCAA then I'm all for it. But, I do think it's interesting timing for OU and UT. I mean, with the new playoff system, I would think they'd want to easier path to the playoff every year and auto bid. I mean, does UT really think they're going to immediately compete in a better conference than the one they haven't been average in.
                          I think a lot of this has to do with the Supreme Court's ruling on the NCAA. I think you'll see these super conferences form and then all of them break away from the NCAA. Once that happens, they go back to being regional again.

Comment

• The B1G version of the Superconference is

West:
                            Wiscy
                            Minn
                            Iowa
                            Illinois
                            Northwestern
                            Purdue
                            Texas
                            KU
                            MO

Neb / ISU --- They don't "want" ISU but it would solve the Nebraska losing it's AAU membership and having no desire to gain readmission.

East:
                            OSU
                            MI
                            MSU
                            IU
                            PSU
                            Rut
                            MD
                            UVa
                            UNC
                            Vandy
                            --- Duke / Pitt also available

Comment

If they join the B1G, they'll still be competitive in BB, but winning the conference won't be an automatic anymore.

Comment

• Have I missed something? Do people really think UNC or Virginia will leave the ACC or Vandy will leave the SEC?
                                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Does the Big12 count as a Power 5 anymore or will they just call it the Power 4 now?

Comment

The Big Ten might want to try to scoop up Kansas to expand their western footprint and add a basketball power. Then add North Carolina or Virginia to expand their east coast footprint and to add another basketball power
                                    Virginia and UNC have both signed their media rights to the ACC/ESPN until 2035. The Big10 expires in 2024. I'd be shocked if they can pry out a team from the ACC (and that includes us as we signed on for the same in our nonfootball sports)

Comment

• Originally posted by edgesofsanity View Post

Virginia and UNC have both signed their media rights to the ACC/ESPN until 2035. The Big10 expires in 2024. I'd be shocked if they can pry out a team from the ACC (and that includes us as we signed on for the same in our nonfootball sports)
                                      There's probably always a price you may have to pay for breaking an agreement, so leaving is always on the table. UT and OU obviously have decided their $30M exit fee is worth it to join the elite conference where that money will be quickly realized. After TAMU joined the SEC, the SEC powers pounced on the access to Texas high school recruits. Big losers will be Baylor, TCU, and TTech...and not sure their other options are that great. And would a pissed off TAMU consider bailing from SEC?

Comment

• A&Ms freak out is popcorn theater.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armyirish47 View Post

Missouri maybe but Arkansas carries a lot of water in sports not named football at the moment.
                                          Great baseball & track program. Basketball looks to be on the rise but that all combined pales in comparison to what having a strong football program in a densely populated footprint brings to the table. They don’t even have a direct rival despite conjuring up silly trophies w/ LSU. They have a long way to go to be viable in football and that’s what carries the water big picture.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
                                              This is crazy IMO. I cannot imagine what this will do to DIV 1 football in the end. The SEC already controls a large portion of the market, including those that head the NCAA. If this happens they will hold the keys to the future. Additionally, it absolutely sickens me all of these decisions are made with power and money in mind, with no loyalty to the fanbases that have followed institutions for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post

This is crazy IMO. I cannot imagine what this will do to DIV 1 football in the end. The SEC already controls a large portion of the market, including those that head the NCAA. If this happens they will hold the keys to the future. Additionally, it absolutely sickens me all of these decisions are made with power and money in mind, with no loyalty to the fanbases that have followed institutions for years.
                                                It would separate college football from minor league football. I like the idea of ND just forming their own league eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                  Have I missed something? Do people really think UNC or Virginia will leave the ACC or Vandy will leave the SEC?
                                                  Does anyone think Maryland would really leave the ACC?

-Cack 2012

Comment

• I think you’d be INSANE to want Notre Dame to join the Big10.

When I say Big10 what do you think of? You probably think of Ohio State and Michigan. They’re the Texas and Oklahoma of that league.

You know who no thinks of right away? Penn State. Nebraska. I often forget Nebraska is even in that league these days. Just a number in a crowd.

Joining that league would be pure poison for Notre Dame’s brand. In the ACC, at least, Notre Dame would still be a brand. A presence.

In the Big10, ND just reverts to another number in the regional crowd.

No thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boss607 View Post
                                                      I think you’d be INSANE to want Notre Dame to join the Big10.

When I say Big10 what do you think of? You probably think of Ohio State and Michigan. They’re the Texas and Oklahoma of that league.

You know who no thinks of right away? Penn State. Nebraska. I often forget Nebraska is even in that league these days. Just a number in a crowd.

Joining that league would be pure poison for Notre Dame’s brand. In the ACC, at least, Notre Dame would still be a brand. A presence.

No thank you!
                                                      Welcome to IE!

Comment

No thank you!
                                                        Welcome Boss!

I think you'll find this is a very anti-B1G site. You'll have the stray heretic spout off from time to time but they're quickly reminded of Mr. Yost's actions and the world is set back on track.

If ND joined the B1G, within 20 years ND's a bland mash up of Northwestern & DePaul.

Comment

• Frick the Big 10-
                                                          SEC (crazy I know) or the ACC if forced to join. Hell the Pac would be a better option.

Comment

Does anyone think Maryland would really leave the ACC?

-Cack 2012
                                                            Maryland left because it had to. Not sure any team in the ACC is in the financial position Maryland was when it left and the BigTeleven came with a bailout. But I guess if anything, money talks.
                                                            Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 07-24-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Maryland left because it had to. Not sure any team in the ACC is in the financial position Maryland was when it left and the BigTeleven came with a bailout. But I guess if anything, money talks.
                                                              That and don't forget the Eggheads. There are important people at UVa and UNC that identify more with AAU contemporaries Michigan, Wiscy and UofI than NC St, Lewuhlvul & the incoming hordes from Cincy & WV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post

If true, looks like we're headed toward a divorce between the semi-pro and Ivy League models much sooner than expected. Would arguably be better for ND than any of the likely alternatives, as we'd be the de facto leader of the latter.

Comment

No thank you!
                                                                  Great first post! The only argument for ND joining the B1G is geographic proximity, which hasn't moved the needle much since Yost's bigotry forced us on the road in the 20s. Everything else- brand, size, educational philosophy, history, etc.- militates strongly against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

If true, looks like we're headed toward a divorce between the semi-pro and Ivy League models much sooner than expected. Would arguably be better for ND than any of the likely alternatives, as we'd be the de facto leader of the latter.
                                                                    I have reached a place where I now hope this exact thing happens.

Comment

But does that simply leave us out of the NC picture in the long run? I went to Penn and I remember what those games looked like in Franklin Field. Didn’t even open the upper deck. Would this not destroy ND as a national player?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlaskanIrish View Post

But does that simply leave us out of the NC picture in the long run? I went to Penn and I remember what those games looked like in Franklin Field. Didn’t even open the upper deck. Would this not destroy ND as a national player?
                                                                        It wouldn't end well.

We'll just slide into the fur coat wearing Yalie types of the 50's and our big game vs Stanford draws 42,000 in SB. 4200 in Palo Alto as only ND fans in the Bay area and Tahoe attend the game.

Comment

It wouldn't end well.

We'll just slide into the fur coat wearing Yalie types of the 50's and our big game vs Stanford draws 42,000 in SB. 4200 in Palo Alto as only ND fans in the Bay area and Tahoe attend the game.
                                                                          I agree Bobby. It’s frankly scary. I’m no expert, but it seems a very real possibility.

Comment

Go from a football power with an academic reputation and recognized brand to the big fish in a wading pool? No thanks. It will only take a year or two when you will hear people say, “Remember when Notre Dame………”

Comment

• Originally posted by AlaskanIrish View Post

I agree Bobby. It’s frankly scary. I’m no expert, but it seems a very real possibility.
                                                                              With NIL putting the paying players onto the players themselves, I think the other 79 schools that break away from the NCAA will understand they're better off if ND's part of their portfolio. Then they just have to figure out how to play SC every year.

Comment

• If you take the soon to be 70 year old Saban out of the SEC is it really all that powerful to be able to manipulate so much?

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                                                  If you take the soon to be 70 year old Saban out of the SEC is it really all that powerful to be able to manipulate so much?
                                                                                  The short answer is yes. The longer answer- Saban will be a replaced by a guy that will likely win more than one NC in a 5-8 year span. The SEC holds 4-6 of the top ten recruiting rankings each year. Saban leaving will just open the door for Georgia, Florida, LSU, etc. to step up and compete with a new but similar Alabama. This is putting aside an SEC that could include Oklahoma and others very soon.
                                                                                  Or maybe you were being facetious, idk. Either way the SEC looks to only be growing in powers regardless of Saban, not just because of Saban (not to discount what he has contributed).

Comment

• Originally posted by 317Irish View Post

The short answer is yes. The longer answer- Saban will be a replaced by a guy that will likely win more than one NC in a 5-8 year span. The SEC holds 4-6 of the top ten recruiting rankings each year. Saban leaving will just open the door for Georgia, Florida, LSU, etc. to step up and compete with a new but similar Alabama. This is putting aside an SEC that could include Oklahoma and others very soon.
                                                                                    Or maybe you were being facetious, idk. Either way the SEC looks to only be growing in powers regardless of Saban, not just because of Saban (not to discount what he has contributed).
                                                                                    Even if Georgia,Florida and LSU get a bit stronger via recruiting they are still way more beatable than Bama now.

Comment

• This was interesting. If Michigan and OSU are SEC bound that crazy https://sports.yahoo.com/latest-conf...123925223.html

Comment

• Sounds like the SEC is the one making the first moves if they have contacted OSU and scUM. Would be surprised if they left the B1G. The B1G is pretty tight.
                                                                                        Last edited by Irish#1; 07-25-2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Is there any chance ND gets invited to join the first super conference? I mean if all this is for money do they not attempt to bring ND in?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                                                                                            This was interesting. If Michigan and OSU are SEC bound that crazy https://sports.yahoo.com/latest-conf...123925223.html
                                                                                            I don’t believe it. If schools like UM and OSU want in then why would they tie themselves to the bottom half of the SEC (but shut out the middle class of every other conference)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                              Sounds like the SEC is the one making the first moves if they have contacted OSU and scUM. Would be surprised if they left the B1G. The B1G is pretty tight.
                                                                                              Big Ten also wanted to torpedo their school's athletic economy last year. OSU (along with Nebraska & Iowa) were pretty vocal opponents to the Big Ten's stance last year. I can see teams at least be willing to hear options.

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post

Big Ten also wanted to torpedo their school's athletic economy last year. OSU (along with Nebraska & Iowa) were pretty vocal opponents to the Big Ten's stance last year. I can see teams at least be willing to hear options.
                                                                                                Wasn’t that because of COVID? A little different scenario to me. Given today’s climate anything is possible.

Comment

Is there any chance ND gets invited to join the first super conference? I mean if all this is for money do they not attempt to bring ND in?
                                                                                                  I would be surprised if they don’t get invited eventually.

Comment

• Michigan leave their kingdom of Research Billions to go hang out with a room full of 4 year JUCO's?

There's more to the B1G than simply a sports conference.

Comment

Is there any chance ND gets invited to join the first super conference? I mean if all this is for money do they not attempt to bring ND in?
                                                                                                      10x Consecutive SEC North Pod Champion.

-ND in 2031

Poor Vandy, UK, Tenn & Mizzou.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X