No announcement yet.

Superconferences & Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn’t Oklahoma’s state legislature mandate that OU can’t leave w/o Okla St? IIRC, they are a package deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
      Didn’t Oklahoma’s state legislature mandate that OU can’t leave w/o Okla St? IIRC, they are a package deal.
      Eh..legislatures can pass new legislation.
      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Didn’t Oklahoma’s state legislature mandate that OU can’t leave w/o Okla St? IIRC, they are a package deal.
        Something about if it's for the better of one of them then the Governor can over rule

Comment

• Thanks I hate it.

Will be interesting to see how this affects the playoff committee recommendation. What's the point of having the 4 auto-bids tied to champion if the only Big 12 schools worth a shit just became part of the SEC?

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Athletic article says there is nothing official, and any legal challenge would likely fail in court.

Comment

• The death of the Big 12 could be just what the ACC needed. It will likely lose even more ground to the SEC, but if it can add some teams, it could potentially get out of its media rights contract which could set it up better for the next round of realignment. One interesting proposal I heard was for the ACC to expand to 20 teams and then form two divisions with an upper and lower with promotion & relegation. It would provide a unique selling point, good season long story lines, and a high level of competition.

Comment

• Jason Whitely
                @JasonWhitely
                #BREAKING:

SOURCES: After notifying the @Big12Conference early next week, @TexasLonghorns and @UofOklahoma will petition the @SEC for membership.

-more-
                7:55 PM Jul 21, 2021

Jason Whitely
                @JasonWhitely

54m
                #BREAKING:

Early next week, the
                @TexasLonghorns
                and
                @UofOklahoma
                will send a letter to the
                @Big12Conference
                stating that neither school will renew their media contracts when they expire in 2025.

Comment

• Oklahoma has long seemed like a good fit in many ways for the SEC, but I'm not sold on UT. They're used to throwing their weight around and having their way about everything, which has long been a problem, and there's no way that will go over as the new kid on the block in the SEC. If they join the SEC, there's going to be some major upheaval in the divisions. The SECW is already top-heavy and significantly stronger than the East. Realignment will play havoc with some of the traditional rivalries.
                  Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                    Oklahoma has long seemed like a good fit in many ways for the SEC, but I'm not sold on UT. They're used to throwing their weight around and having their way about everything, which has long been a problem, and there's no way that will go over as the new kid on the block in the SEC. If they join the SEC, there's going to be some major upheaval in the divisions. The SECW is already top-heavy and significantly stronger than the East. Realignment will play havoc with some of the traditional rivalries.
                    I think this could be the old smoke and mirrors trick.

I think Texas and OU will ultimately land with the Pac 12 and they are using this as a way to leverage more money/power. The TV rights for the conference expires after 2023 season.

Comment

• If Texas can't win 10 games in the Big 12, wait till they get to the SEC
                      The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

Vandy yes. UK is NOT qualified to be in the B1G.
                        I thought UK was a research school? Evidently Nebraska isn't a AAU school, so there could be exceptions.

Big Ten member institutions are major research universities with large financial endowments and strong academic reputations. All institutions except full member University of Nebraska and associate member Notre Dame are members of the Association of American Universities.
                        Given everyone is chasing the almighty dollar. I can see inducements being made to allow multiple FL or TX schools into the SEC or expand the B1G with a few more schools that aren't AAU members.
                        Last edited by Irish#1; 07-22-2021, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post

What do you consider a national power?

If you consider that a top 3 team, yes I would agree.

But I can't think of 10 other programs that are better situated at the moment than A&M. 1A is clearly Bama, Clemson and OSU. But 1B has the likes of UGA, OU, ND, etc. I would put A&M in 1B right now. To me, once you are in that grouping, it takes a once in a decade type year to win a tittle It's possible, just like LSU did. But the stars must align. But they are not in the camp where there is no shot (Michigan, USC, etc) To me, that is a national power.
                          If you're talking historically and into today I don't consider A&M a national power. They had one good year with Johnny Football, but they've fallen back to the "just above average" category IMO. Since 2000, they've only had one double digit win season. Only ten seasons with double digit wins in the last 80 years.

Comment

I think this could be the old smoke and mirrors trick.

I think Texas and OU will ultimately land with the Pac 12 and they are using this as a way to leverage more money/power. The TV rights for the conference expires after 2023 season.
                            Given the stature of the Pac 12, this makes a lot of sense. It's always been USC and then everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                              Oklahoma has long seemed like a good fit in many ways for the SEC, but I'm not sold on UT. They're used to throwing their weight around and having their way about everything, which has long been a problem, and there's no way that will go over as the new kid on the block in the SEC. If they join the SEC, there's going to be some major upheaval in the divisions. The SECW is already top-heavy and significantly stronger than the East. Realignment will play havoc with some of the traditional rivalries.
                              If you go to 16-team super conferences, you'd probably get pods.

You play your pod (3 games), plus the next pod (4 games), then you play one team each from the remaining pods (2 games). That gives you a 9-game conference schedule, and allows for at least one regular-season matchup with every other team in the conferences over a 4-year period. You could exchange one of the single-pod games for a set rivalry, and protect some of the traditional matchups to give extra flexibility when creating the pods/divisions, but then it's not a guarantee that you play every other team in the conference at some point over four years.

You could even split the Texas teams into different pods, to both appease the angry A&M fan base, and to make the once-every-four-years Texas matchup a huge thing to look forward to for those fanbases.

Pod 1 (The Old Pod)
                              1. Texas
                              2. Oklahoma
                              3. Missouri
                              4. Arkansas

Pod 2 (The Power Pod)
                              1. Bama
                              2. LSU
                              3. Auburn
                              4. A&M

Pod 3 (The South and Eastern Pod)
                              1. Florida
                              2. Georgia
                              3. Ole Miss
                              4. Miss St

Pod 4 (The Stepchildren Pod)
                              1. Kentucky
                              2. Tennessee
                              3. Vandy
                              4. South Carolina

Pod 2 is overly strong, and pod 4 would need a historic resurgence from Tennessee to make things interesting, so you could do some flip-flopping, but this makes the most sense in terms of regional games... I think.

Comment

• I hate this, not gonna lie

Comment

• Sounds like A&M has no interest in having Texas join.
                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

I thought UK was a research school? Evidently Nebraska isn't a AAU school, so there could be exceptions.

Given everyone is chasing the almighty dollar. I can see inducements being made to allow multiple FL or TX schools into the SEC or expand the B1G with a few more schools that aren't AAU members.
                                    Nebraska was an AAU member when they were invited in. The AAU changed the way they grade public vs private research money and no longer gave Nebraska credit for their Med School which is in Omaha at UNO. I don't understand that part cuz IU's Med School is in Indy at IUPUI.

Comment

• I get why this stuff is happening...

However, it's a slap in the face to the history of the sport, fandom, and what college football has meant for fans. The college football landscape would actually be so much better if all the teams that left the Big XII returned and WVU joined somewhere else (or even independent). The ramifications this would also have on the likes of even basketball are huge. What does Kansas do with their basketball program... Yeah I know B1G comes calling probably, but that's besides the point.

Comment

Nebraska was an AAU member when they were invited in. The AAU changed the way they grade public vs private research money and no longer gave Nebraska credit for their Med School which is in Omaha at UNO. I don't understand that part cuz IU's Med School is in Indy at IUPUI.
                                        I believe the AAU also changed how they count agricultural research. Or maybe that was a different group....I know NDSU got our "research level" classification dropped because of changes to how agricultural research was counted.
                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                          Sounds like A&M has no interest in having Texas join.
                                          No one in the SEC cares what A&M thinks though.

Comment

I would guess the distance isn't the factor. That would seem absurd. Probably more inline with some operational policies, procedures or studies the med school made? Maybe they need to have a minimum number of research studies at all times, possibly funding levels? Just spit balling.

Can we go back to the good old days?
                                            Big Ten with 10 schools
                                            Southwest Conference
                                            Pac 8
                                            SEC
                                            ACC
                                            Atlantic 10
                                            WAC
                                            Big 8

Indies ND, PSU, FSU, UM

Comment

It's based on research expenditures and certain criteria for faculty. The med school issue is that Nebraska apparently needed those faculty and expenditures to be in their totals because they were scraping by at the bottom of the list. IU is well above it and doesn't need to count resources at other schools' campuses.

Comment

• History. Tradition. Fans.

The people making these decisions see these terms as punchlines. They literally laugh out loud at the notion that they should give a rat's ass about any of this when it comes to college football. We're not talking about a sticker on a helmet, artificial grass fields or last names on the backs of jerseys. This is big time money. It stopped being about academics (LOL), tradition and history a long time ago.
                                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by mango4 View Post

Imagine how Arkansas & Missouri feel. They are basically dead weight in the SEC as far as footprint & competitiveness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                    History. Tradition. Fans.

The people making these decisions see these terms as punchlines. They literally laugh out loud at the notion that they should give a rat's ass about any of this when it comes to college football. We're not talking about a sticker on a helmet, artificial grass fields or last names on the backs of jerseys. This is big time money. It stopped being about academics (LOL), tradition and history a long time ago.
                                                    Yeah but incentives didn't get so weirdly misaligned until more recently. In ye olde days you wanted to fill your stadium to maximize your dollars.

Now it's about TV money. More specifically, it's not even viewership; it's cable carriage fees. So conferences have the incentive to add disconnected markets which is basically at odds with every enjoyable part of conferences from a fan POV.

Cord-cutting has ironically made the influences of cable TV money worse than before. Sports are the most important live programming for cable TV providers to keep their customer base so the value to the rights owners is even greater than the viewership they generate.

Comment

Imagine how Arkansas & Missouri feel. They are basically dead weight in the SEC as far as footprint & competitiveness.
                                                      Doesn’t mean they don’t have a vote though.

Id say Mizzou people very much disagree with that as well. They overall feel joining SEC was right move, as B12 possibly crumbling somewhat validates that. It could also be worse they’ve had limited football and basketball success but have somewhat come out of some institutional messes that brought down athletics with it

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

Yeah but incentives didn't get so weirdly misaligned until more recently. In ye olde days you wanted to fill your stadium to maximize your dollars.

Now it's about TV money. More specifically, it's not even viewership; it's cable carriage fees. So conferences have the incentive to add disconnected markets which is basically at odds with every enjoyable part of conferences from a fan POV.

Cord-cutting has ironically made the influences of cable TV money worse than before. Sports are the most important live programming for cable TV providers to keep their customer base so the value to the rights owners is even greater than the viewership they generate.
                                                        I think folks are wasting their time longing for ye olde days. That ship set sail long ago.
                                                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

This is true to an extent. A lot of the articles talking about this round of realignment are saying the same thing which is that it isn't about geographical markets anymore. That was the last round where cable bundles still ruled, so forcing a market to pay a carriage fee was what everyone was after.

Now its all about eyes. Like you said, live sports are the most important programming now because its the only thing people won't record and then skip ads while also being willing to pay for the ability to watch even if its outside your normal cable/streaming package. The leagues still want to get the carriage fee where possible, but with people moving away from cable, they also need big games that everyone will want to watch.

Kind of ironically, this might also help the fan experience. It could mean fewer cupcake games and more interesting/big match ups. It doesn't solve the price problem that keeps many fans away, but it does effect the other side of the equation by making the games more desirable.

Comment

I think folks are wasting their time longing for ye olde days. That ship set sail long ago.
                                                            True. I am feeling increasingly disconnected from CFB as a whole.

I still watch ND due to my family connections to it but I used to watch a LOT of random games but I've lost interest for a variety of reasons.

It's hard to see where the shakeup of conference realignment, nationalized recruiting via social media, NIL, other forms of compensation, free transfers, etc. are going to take things but I suspect the sport is not going to get any less top heavy. And that's going to be a big problem, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                                              The death of the Big 12 could be just what the ACC needed. It will likely lose even more ground to the SEC, but if it can add some teams, it could potentially get out of its media rights contract which could set it up better for the next round of realignment. One interesting proposal I heard was for the ACC to expand to 20 teams and then form two divisions with an upper and lower with promotion & relegation. It would provide a unique selling point, good season long story lines, and a high level of competition.
                                                              I think this would be the best outcome if the four super conferences had something like this. Give most of D1 a chance to work in to a top tier and restrict top tier from playing more than 3 or 4 games per year against lower tier opponents including FCS or whatever DII is called. Expand to 12 per division for 48 total in each and you have room for the Central Florida, Boise State, BYUs of the world to work their way up more than they do today. Indiana/Illinois/Purdue/BC/Syracuse/Vandy/Mizzou/Oregon State/Washington State and many others can suck in the bottom tier and we don't have to worry about top conference players wasting games on them every year.

I would also cut regular season back to 10 games, conference championship and four team playoff of each conference winner. Max 13 game season. So much better weekly competition and a championship that makes sense.

Of course that is all fantasy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Doesn’t mean they don’t have a vote though.

Id say Mizzou people very much disagree with that as well. They overall feel joining SEC was right move, as B12 possibly crumbling somewhat validates that. It could also be worse they’ve had limited football and basketball success but have somewhat come out of some institutional messes that brought down athletics with it
                                                                Don't worry. The B1G will save Mizzou when the time comes. When the B1G West includes the Tigers, Jayhawks & the Illini, the world will be right. It also forces MO and IA to play. The fact they've played once in 110 years is the weirdest thing in college sports.

Comment

• Nobody cares if IA and MO don’t play.

Comment

What do you consider a national power?

If you consider that a top 3 team, yes I would agree.

But I can't think of 10 other programs that are better situated at the moment than A&M. 1A is clearly Bama, Clemson and OSU. But 1B has the likes of UGA, OU, ND, etc. I would put A&M in 1B right now. To me, once you are in that grouping, it takes a once in a decade type year to win a tittle It's possible, just like LSU did. But the stars must align. But they are not in the camp where there is no shot (Michigan, USC, etc) To me, that is a national power.
                                                                    A&M is only good now because they have Jimbo running the program. Sumlin had them trending towards irrelevance. The fact that they are in the SEC hurts their football program IMO. They are arguably the 4th best program in their own division.

I’d argue that USC and Michigan have easier paths to regional dominance and a national title (SC especially). Those programs can potentially dominate their conferences with the right coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

If you go to 16-team super conferences, you'd probably get pods.

You play your pod (3 games), plus the next pod (4 games), then you play one team each from the remaining pods (2 games). That gives you a 9-game conference schedule, and allows for at least one regular-season matchup with every other team in the conferences over a 4-year period. You could exchange one of the single-pod games for a set rivalry, and protect some of the traditional matchups to give extra flexibility when creating the pods/divisions, but then it's not a guarantee that you play every other team in the conference at some point over four years.

You could even split the Texas teams into different pods, to both appease the angry A&M fan base, and to make the once-every-four-years Texas matchup a huge thing to look forward to for those fanbases.

Pod 1 (The Old Pod)
                                                                      1. Texas
                                                                      2. Oklahoma
                                                                      3. Missouri
                                                                      4. Arkansas

Pod 2 (The Power Pod)
                                                                      1. Bama
                                                                      2. LSU
                                                                      3. Auburn
                                                                      4. A&M

Pod 3 (The South and Eastern Pod)
                                                                      1. Florida
                                                                      2. Georgia
                                                                      3. Ole Miss
                                                                      4. Miss St

Pod 4 (The Stepchildren Pod)
                                                                      1. Kentucky
                                                                      2. Tennessee
                                                                      3. Vandy
                                                                      4. South Carolina

Pod 2 is overly strong, and pod 4 would need a historic resurgence from Tennessee to make things interesting, so you could do some flip-flopping, but this makes the most sense in terms of regional games... I think.
                                                                      I've long liked the pod thing if we expand to 16, which is going to happen sooner or later. I like some of your ideas, but 4 traditional powers in one pod and 4 weaklings in another doesn't work. The SEC Network crew released their idea of how the 4 pods might look and it makes a lot of sense.

Pod 1: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina
                                                                      Pod 2: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
                                                                      Pod 3: LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
                                                                      Pod 4: Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri

Very balanced with two traditional powers and two lesser programs in each pod, and teams are grouped regionally also to some extent. Pod 2 with Tennessee actually has 3 traditional powers, but that probably can't be avoided and who knows when Tennessee will ever claw their way back into the big boys' club. In this system I'd like for the SEC to go to a 9 game conference schedule. You play each of the other three teams in your pod, you have one traditional rival from each of the other pods that you play each year, and you play one of the other three teams from each pod every year on a rotating basis, so that every three years you'll play every team in the conference at least once.
                                                                      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

TAMU will vehemently oppose allowing TX into the SEC. They left for the SEC because of TX. They want to be the only school in Texas in the conference.

Wonder if WVU will will consider bailing and joining the ACC, where it would fit more naturally. And would Iowa State consider the BIG?

Comment

• Saw the AM was specifically left out of all conversations between SEC and Ut and OU. Not included or made aware this was happening.
                                                                          "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                            Saw the AM was specifically left out of all conversations between SEC and Ut and OU. Not included or made aware this was happening.
                                                                            If A&M did leak this (in hopes of getting public opinion to put a stop to it) then leaving them out of the loop was totally justified.

Comment

• Originally posted by texbender View Post

TAMU will vehemently oppose allowing TX into the SEC. They left for the SEC because of TX. They want to be the only school in Texas in the conference.

Wonder if WVU will will consider bailing and joining the ACC, where it would fit more naturally. And would Iowa State consider the BIG?
                                                                              The question is will the ACC consider WVU. I think not.

Iowa State is part of the AAU, so the Big Ten would certainly give them a look. They have a pretty rabid fanbase and their stadium seats 61,500. That's bigger than 7 stadiums already in the Big Ten. Natural rival to Iowa, they could revisit a series with Nebraska and could build on series with Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

If not, PAC 12.

Comment

A&M left the Big 12 for a reason and a lot of that was the Longhorn Network. Texas A&M has boomed since they joined the SEC. Kyle Field is one of the best college football venues (strongly recommend checking it out, I intend to visit again in green in a few years) in the country and just got a huge facelift, premier facilities, and their athletics complex is the best I've ever seen. Every sport looks like it has its own oil basin supporting it. They dumped crazy money on a new coach and have a solid program. The records don't accurately tell the story with A&M, plus they've also had to face a tough SEC West every year.

I would fully expect Texas A&M to do anything and everything they can to prevent Texas from joining the SEC. It does nothing to help them and would be a good middle finger to an old rival.
                                                                                I don't see this helping other programs either, but...

Iowa State to Big Ten seems logical after this. West Virginia is surely looking.

I suppose it is good to be independent sometimes. Less drama.
                                                                                Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• By far the best part of this is what is happening to Texas A&M.

But I’m most intrigued to see whether Oklahoma leverages this into a better/tougher team that can really compete or does the opposite and wilts under pressure.

Comment

The question is will the ACC consider WVU. I think not.

Iowa State is part of the AAU, so the Big Ten would certainly give them a look. They have a pretty rabid fanbase and their stadium seats 61,500. That's bigger than 7 stadiums already in the Big Ten. Natural rival to Iowa, they could revisit a series with Nebraska and could build on series with Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

If not, PAC 12.
                                                                                    I think I State's in trouble when the endgame happens. They have nothing new to offer the B1G that IA doesn't cover in a population challenged state.

Speaking of the endgame, when the P5's pull football from the NCAA, WVU will be back in the ACC. In fact, the ACC North that ND will play in (if they don't construct a better Ivy League) will basically be the old Big East.
                                                                                    Last edited by BobbyMac; 07-23-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I think I State's in trouble when the endgame happens. They have nothing new to offer the B1G that IA doesn't cover in a population challenged state.

Speaking of the endgame, when the P5's pull football from the NCAA, WVU will be back in the ACC. In fact, the ACC North that ND will play in (if they don't construct a better Ivy League) will basically be the old Big East.
                                                                                      What does WVU offer the ACC outside of sports? If you live in West Virginia the admission requirement is a 2.0 GPA and a 19 on your ACT. The ACC tends to care about acdemics. WVU seems like a fit for the SEC on more levels than the ACC.

I think the Big Ten would want Iowa State to some degree in the end because, they too, care about academics.

Comment

• 247 now reporting it is official that UT and OU are leaving.

The question now is, "Are the other Big 12 schools huddling and trying to come up with a game plan or are they all fending for themselves?"
                                                                                        Last edited by Irish#1; 07-23-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see if the big 12 gets decimated or if they poach from other conferences. It's gonna get weird . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by mango4 View Post

Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                            Saw the AM was specifically left out of all conversations between SEC and Ut and OU. Not included or made aware this was happening.

You hit the nail on the head. What a bitch slap to A&M.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                                                                                              It will be interesting to see if the big 12 gets decimated or if they poach from other conferences. It's gonna get weird . . .
                                                                                              They should ask Nebraska to come back.

Comment

What does WVU offer the ACC outside of sports? If you live in West Virginia the admission requirement is a 2.0 GPA and a 19 on your ACT. The ACC tends to care about acdemics. WVU seems like a fit for the SEC on more levels than the ACC.

I think the Big Ten would want Iowa State to some degree in the end because, they too, care about academics.
                                                                                                I would've agreed with you on the ACC before they took Louisville.

What WVU is going to offer the ACC is a body. When these schools leave the NCAA and it's just four 20 team conf's, the ACC will get pinched. The B1G's coming for UVa, UNC or Pitt if they need a body out east. The SEC might target VT, one of the NC schools not named Wake. Maybe Clemson or the Florida schools if the new world order forces those state's politics to work out.

As far as ISU, I'm not saying it won't happen but I had these discussions with two college AD's, one of which who broke into coaching at Ames and they thought ISU was in trouble long term. They thought their best chance was to fall into the Eastern Div of the West Conference when the PAC has to piece 20 teams together.

Comment

You hit the nail on the head. What a bitch slap to A&M.
                                                                                                  A&M is a cult that thinks way too high of themselves considering they haven't won a national title since 1939.

Comment

247 now reporting it is official that UT and OU are leaving.

The question now is, "Are the other Big 12 schools huddling and trying to come up with a game plan or are they all fending for themselves?"
                                                                                                    FWIW, posters on reddit pointed out that this guy also said that Texas, et al. to the PAC was done during the last realignment.

Comment

• Has Swarbrick issued any public comments?

I'm curious whether he is going to strongly commit to independence or say anything about a changing landscape affecting ND's future.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X